Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
March 7th. We got an email awhile ago asking for help on this day for the Reception of New Students. There should be a list given to you of recommended apartments in the area and you can meet potential roommates at the reception. I would also suggest you join the Rowan SOM Class of 2018 as there are a lot of current 1st years that could point you in the right direction if you have any more questions.

Members don't see this ad.

March 7th. We got an email awhile ago asking for help on this day for the Reception of New Students. There should be a list given to you of recommended apartments in the area and you can meet potential roommates at the reception. I would also suggest you join the Rowan SOM Class of 2018 as there are a lot of current 1st years that could point you in the right direction if you have any more questions.
Thank you so much! I made the group - I guess I just didn't think to ask there :) I'll get in touch with some of the first years! Thank you!

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I didn't see it in the past few pages of the forum. Can someone give me a little "heads-up" on what to expect for interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I didn't see it in the past few pages of the forum. Can someone give me a little "heads-up" on what to expect for interview day?
Interview day, for me at least, was very laid back. I waited a little while for my interview, which was super conversational and friendly, and when that was over I had the chance to sit in on a class. After that we got a campus tour from a few students and then had lunch with them to chat and ask questions. Don't stress- just be yourself and be honest! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any accepted students looking to live in Philly? I'm planning on maintaining residence at my parents' house in NJ but I've been living in the city for almost two years and would hate to leave!

PM me if you want a description of how mine went/questions they asked and how I prepared!

I'm an accepted student and I will be staying in Philly. I have a car and I live close to PATCO and the BF Bridge. I've driven out to Rowan SOM several times and it usually takes about 20 minutes. I think the PATCO from 8th and Market is 20- minutes too. I'm sure during rush hour it will take longer but I have so many reasons (financially, support, etc.) why staying in Philly is just going to be a better spot for me.

We'll see... Are there any current students who opted to live in Philadelphia?

Just watch that traffic on 295 south when it comes to around 4-5pm as it's a standstill. You might have better luck by asking this in the Facebook group for RowanSOM class of 2018.

The majority of my class lives within a 15 min radius of the school all in Jersey. We do go to Philly to explore and have a drink once in a while.

Waitlisted :/ interviewed in December. Anybody know what movement on the alternate list is like?

Anyone get calls today? Was told the admissions committee should have met today. No call here =(

From the thread for last year's cycle, it seems like almost the top 1/3rd of the waitlist gets accepted

I was complete on 11/25 no ii yet. Maybe they don't have any interview spots anymore..?

No calls today: Committe met last week and will most likely meet again next week. Usually is the first and third Friday of the month.

Waitlist: can't go by previous year. Different policy this year.

Interview Spots: Dates are added constantly and they should interview until late April.

Hm I was told last week by admissions that they would be meeting today. I know that can always change, but if they did meet last Friday then I should still be bummed that I haven't received a call =( Ah the post-interview waiting game...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm I was told last week by admissions that they would be meeting today. I know that can always change, but if they did meet last Friday then I should still be bummed that I haven't received a call =( Ah the post-interview waiting game...
This month has been a mess with the snow days, but I really don't think there was a meeting today. Also my mistake earlier. I posted that they met last week... that is incorrect. They met on the 17th which was two weeks ago (the third friday of the month). My mistake and I apologize for that one. Like I said, January has been a little crazy.

This month has been a mess with the snow days, but I really don't think there was a meeting today. Also my mistake earlier. I posted that they met last week... that is incorrect. They met on the 17th which was two weeks ago (the third friday of the month). My mistake and I apologize for that one. Like I said, January has been a little crazy.

So there's still hope!! The admissions office did say they usually meet on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, so I guess my information that they should have met today didn't make that much sense

I interviewed on the 23rd. 3.71 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 28 MCAT, IS. There was a glitch with my application so I wasn't complete until late December

For those with upcoming interviews who don't feel like reading through 11 pages to find out what the interview day is like, pretty much everyone has said that their interviews were short (20-25 minutes) and conversational. I wish I had chosen an afternoon interview time when I could have taken the tour first because my tour was very thorough and made me really fall in love with the school. I was asked why rowanSOM and for more information about things in my file. My interviewer was very nice. I do wish that I had been asked a few more questions about my personality and other things not found in my file. Other applicants who had earlier interview times got to attend a class, but the tour and lunch with med students was good enough for me

I also interviewed last week. I remember the admissions office saying that they will meet today and give calls this afternoon. It must have changed since last Thursday.

Reactions: 1 user
So there's still hope!! The admissions office did say they usually meet on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month, so I guess my information that they should have met today didn't make that much sense
Definitely should be as (I'm almost certain) there has not been a meeting since your interview.

Also don't think anything "changed". Just think that there being 5 Fridays this time in January and it being a messed up month with closures due to snow you were told that there would be a meeting today.

Got a call offering me a scholarship a few days after my acceptance. They move fast at RowanSOM! I am excited for accepted students day! See you all soon!

Got a call offering me a scholarship a few days after my acceptance. They move fast at RowanSOM! I am excited for accepted students day! See you all soon!
Congratulations!!! I didn't find out about mine until I received my acceptance packet - it was a big surprise lol :p

Congratulations!!! I didn't find out about mine until I received my acceptance packet - it was a big surprise lol :p

Thanks, you too! Mine wasn't a huge amount but it was nice of them to call me and let me know and it is still something! Do you plan on attending?

Any current students that can comment on how competitive/hard it is to get into the PBL pathway since only 8-10 people are allowed to go this route? Do most people just decide to go the normal pathway for their curriculum and it is no big deal? Is the way the curriculum is now designed make PBL less attractive etc?

Any current students that can comment on how competitive/hard it is to get into the PBL pathway since only 8-10 people are allowed to go this route? Do most people just decide to go the normal pathway for their curriculum and it is no big deal? Is the way the curriculum is now designed make PBL less attractive etc?
There really isn't a competition for PBL. It's a separate application process that becomes available around May. It doesn't have anything to do with grades or MCAT, the process is focused on fit since you'll be with the same students for preclinical years. If you are interested, I would encourage you to contact admissions and request to shadow a PBL student for the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Regarding admissions committee meeting today:

It looks like they notify you in the afternoon? Did anybody hear back today?

Accepted. Interviewed 1/23. Got the call 15 minutes ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone from the 2/6 interview date hear back?? Anxiously waiting as I have another deposit due next week, but would much rather give it to my #1 choice, Rowan! :naughty:

Were all acceptance calls made for those who interviewed on 1/30?
I know the committee met yesterday, however I didn't recieve a call. Wanted to find out if that means I'm waitlisted/rejected :(
Rowan is my number 1 choice and any information will help!

Hi does anyone know if you withdraw, do they send a letter confirming withdrawal or do you simply call them and that's it?

Hey everyone! Accepted a few days ago (OOS, 3.7, 28) after interviewing about two and a half weeks ago.

To be honest, I was really underwhelmed with my visit. Without any formal presentation, I felt myself leaving with more questions than answers and not much of a "feel" for the school.

So, for you current students, I have some questions:
-Opportunity from travel?
-First-year clinical requirements/opportunities?
-Is there any PBL in the standard curriculum?
-How would you describe the students that attend Rowan?
-Where do you do your third-year rotations?
-Where can I find the list of residencies for past classes?
-Anything else you feel is essential to know about Rowan?

THANK YOU to any and all who choose to answer these questions. :)

From what I was told the only files that were not reviewed during the meeting were those who interviewed on Friday 2/7. If you did not receive a phone call for acceptance, you will get a letter in the mail.

Hey everyone! Accepted a few days ago (OOS, 3.7, 28) after interviewing about two and a half weeks ago.

To be honest, I was really underwhelmed with my visit. Without any formal presentation, I felt myself leaving with more questions than answers and not much of a "feel" for the school.

So, for you current students, I have some questions:
-Opportunity from travel?
-First-year clinical requirements/opportunities?
-How would you describe the students that attend Rowan?
-Where do you do your third-year rotations?
-Where can I find the list of residencies for past classes?

THANK YOU to any and all who choose to answer these questions. :)

Let me try answering your questions to the best of my ability (first year at the school):
Opportunity from travel? not sure what you are asking. If you mean ability to travel, we do have great representation at all the conferences.
First Year Opportunities: There are plenty. However, I recommend you take some time to adjust to the course load before doing anything.
PBL in standard curriculum: Exams are clinical vignette, case examples are tied into lectures, and we do get some quick case studies to reinforce what we have learned.
Students at Rowan: We're human just like everyone else.
Third year rotations: There are a couple of different tracts. You can go to North Jersey, Central Jersey, or stay near the school.
Match List: Google it and you will see the past few years lists.
Anything else: I would advise shadowing a first year student. Contact admissions if you are interested. This will probably allow you to see how the classes and people who attend the school are.

Hope this answers all your questions.

From what I was told the only files that were not reviewed during the meeting were those who interviewed on Friday 2/7. If you did not receive a phone call for acceptance, you will get a letter in the mail.

Let me try answering your questions to the best of my ability (first year at the school):
Opportunity from travel? not sure what you are asking. If you mean ability to travel, we do have great representation at all the conferences.
First Year Opportunities: There are plenty. However, I recommend you take some time to adjust to the course load before doing anything.
PBL in standard curriculum: Exams are clinical vignette, case examples are tied into lectures, and we do get some quick case studies to reinforce what we have learned.
Students at Rowan: We're human just like everyone else.
Third year rotations: There are a couple of different tracts. You can go to North Jersey, Central Jersey, or stay near the school.
Match List: Google it and you will see the past few years lists.
Anything else: I would advise shadowing a first year student. Contact admissions if you are interested. This will probably allow you to see how the classes and people who attend the school are.

Hope this answers all your questions.
Re: Human - :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyway, onto my question. What should we expect on Accepted Students Day? Should we pack lunch, what should we bring, etc. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! I'll try and clarify some of my questions for some more detailed answers. (Plus I had a typo.)

-Are there school-sponsored mission trips to other countries?
-What are the first year clinical requirements? What do the requirements entail?
-How would you describe the students that attend Rowan, besides sarcastic?
-Are there any rotation sites outside of NJ?
-Where can I find the list of residencies for past classes? (Googled this three times and only came up with info from 2011.)

Thanks for the reply! I'll try and clarify some of my questions for some more detailed answers. (Plus I had a typo.)

-What are the first year clinical requirements? What do the requirements entail?
-Where can I find the list of residencies for past classes? (Googled this three times and only came up with info from 2011.)

I agree with LHS and let me see if I can expand more on some stuff.

School sponsored mission trips are not really available from what has been emailed. I believe you have to go through an outside company for that. There may be a chance you can get funding from out student gov so then it's technically school-sponsored but again not 100% sure on the matter. All I have seen is people working through 3rd parties to get those opportunities.

Clinical requirements so far has just been on the On Doctoring course which requires you to do 6 hours Preceptorship for community service and 6 hours at a Doctor's office (Rowan's Family Med). That has been it that is MANDATORY, there are tons of other opportunities like doing Grand Rounds, shadowing surgeons, shadowing Cardiologists and etc. If you want to do more you can.

LHS is right about the Students part. We are human. Not really too sure what you are trying to get at. If you are asking us do we study a lot, then the answer is yes. Just like ALL med students. We do party with each other from time to time after exams as well. We help each other out all the time and look after our class as whole. As far "Class Personality", each class is different so I don't know if I could predict what your class will be like. I'm not even too sure what our class personality is haha. So the summary is we are just what like you would expect, hardworking students who like to cut loose once in a while.

Rotation Sites are generally not outside NJ. It is my understanding that sometimes we will be required to come back to Rowan SOM for an odd class or exam but i'm not 100% sure. From what I hear from the 2nd years, all the tracts are in NJ

There are a number of opportunities to travel for mission trips. A group a students went to Ecuador fully funded with ' Physicians for Humanity' - a RowanSOM club. Other students traveled to other countries with partial funding. These trips took place during 1st year summer, which is your last summer off. There are also opportunities to travel during 3rd/4th year rotations. There is a 3rd year that will be going to Germany and there are university organized trips to various countries. I won't state the countries specifically as they are dependent on which physician is traveling, etc. Basically, there is opportunity to travel both with the school and to organize your own trip.

GSun88's answer is accurate.

I'll get back to you on this as there has been a curriculum proposal (which looks exciting), but hasn't been confirmed yet. As of right now, there are case studies and clinically oriented exams.

This is a family environment. So yes, in a sense the other posters are right we are normal people. The school is absolutely not a cut throat environment. It was not designed to be. We are not ranked and exams are not curved so your performance is solely dependent on you. This fosters an environment that encourages people to help one another. Everyone has the opportunity to do well.

You are able to rotate out of state during your electives. All other rotations are located in one of the 4 hubs throughout NJ. The 4 hubs are: South Jersey, Central Jersey (Brick/Jersey Shore), North Jersey (Morristown/Overlook), North Jersey (CarePoint Health/Christ Hospital). Hub placements are done by an electronic lottery system.

2012/2013 will be available at Accepted Students Day if you aren't able to locate them online.

If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me.

Hi does anyone know if you withdraw, do they send a letter confirming withdrawal or do you simply call them and that's it?
Idk I sent an email to withdraw but never got a confirmation. But some schools don't bother confirming.

There are a number of opportunities to travel for mission trips. A group a students went to Ecuador fully funded with ' Physicians for Humanity' - a RowanSOM club. Other students traveled to other countries with partial funding. These trips took place during 1st year summer, which is your last summer off. There are also opportunities to travel during 3rd/4th year rotations. There is a 3rd year that will be going to Germany and there are university organized trips to various countries. I won't state the countries specifically as they are dependent on which physician is traveling, etc. Basically, there is opportunity to travel both with the school and to organize your own trip.

GSun88's answer is accurate.

I'll get back to you on this as there has been a curriculum proposal (which looks exciting), but hasn't been confirmed yet. As of right now, there are case studies and clinically oriented exams.

This is a family environment. So yes, in a sense the other posters are right we are normal people. The school is absolutely not a cut throat environment. It was not designed to be. We are not ranked and exams are not curved so your performance is solely dependent on you. This fosters an environment that encourages people to help one another. Everyone has the opportunity to do well.

You are able to rotate out of state during your electives. All other rotations are located in one of the 4 hubs throughout NJ. The 4 hubs are: South Jersey, Central Jersey (Brick/Jersey Shore), North Jersey (Morristown/Overlook), North Jersey (CarePoint Health/Christ Hospital). Hub placements are done by an electronic lottery system.

2012/2013 will be available at Accepted Students Day if you aren't able to locate them online.

If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me.

Super happy to hear that my impression about the family feel was correct. I think we'll have a tendency to create enough stress for ourselves without at cutthroat environment! :) So excited to be attending!

is it just me or has it been a while since they sent out a round of interview invites?

Keep the faith fellow interviewees. Admissions did not review everyone last Friday... Here's to hoping you get a phone call on the 21st!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

is it just me or has it been a while since they sent out a round of interview invites?

I completed my apps back in end of Sept and I still haven't heard anything from them either... I tried emailing them regarding status, but no response. How often do they typically send out interview invites??

I completed my apps back in end of Sept and I still haven't heard anything from them either... I tried emailing them regarding status, but no response. How often do they typically send out interview invites??

Do what I did. Pick up the phone and call. Trust me, I was hesitant at first, but time's winding down in the cycle. Have you gotten a complete e-mail?

Hey guys! Will anyone be looking to move into an apartment just before the pre-matric program? I'm hoping to find a female roommate interested in living in the Glen Eyre apartments! I'm super friendly, have most of the stuff needed to furnish an apartment already, and I cook and bake :) hahaha let me know! And happy valentine's day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on the alternate list =/ received a letter in the mail a week after the committee met