Rowan University (RowanSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Which is...? I don't think anything said in this identifies the jersey "stereotype" you're talking about...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Jersey stereotypes ? I'm not from jersey. Can someone fill me in on this ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of excited to arrive at this interview now. does stratford/voorhees has any type of night life ? LOOOL.

I'm kind of excited to arrive at this interview now. does stratford/voorhees has any type of night life ? LOOOL.
Don't believe anything you see on "jersey shore" none of the cast is even from New Jersey...

Yeah I heard that. Stratford seem like a very small place.

Do they give info about the pre matriculation program to everyone in their acceptance packet? How do you know if it's required or not as part of your acceptance?

Do they give info about the pre matriculation program to everyone in their acceptance packet? How do you know if it's required or not as part of your acceptance?

I think they give the info to everyone but it's only required if it's listed as one of the things in your admissions checklist (those first two pages of the acceptance packet).

I think they give the info to everyone but it's only required if it's listed as one of the things in your admissions checklist (those first two pages of the acceptance packet).
It should show up as a "prematriculation packet" if it's required. However, if you are currently enrolled in graduate school you can get this requirement waived.

Last edited:

Correct, although I have heard from current and past students that it is to your benefit to actually attend the prematric program. It really gets you into the pace of medical school and helps form a solid background.

Last edited:
On their web, it says the MCAT scores are good for 5 years. Does that mean I dont need to take new MCAT for Rowan if I took the old MCAT in the last 5 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
On their web, it says the MCAT scores are good for 5 years. Does that mean I dont need to take new MCAT for Rowan if I took the old MCAT in the last 5 years?

You don't need to take the new MCAT if you took the MCAT within the past 5 years prior to matriculation. It means you should at least have an MCAT score that is at most 4 years old when you apply.

anyone considering the PBL curriculum? Got to observe it on my interview day and found it really interesting. Don't know if I personally can thrive without a substantial amount of structure, but was wondering if anyone had any opinions (current students especially!), or what the process was to get into that track.

Correct, although I have heard from current and past students that it is to your benefit to actually attend the prematric program. It really gets you into the pace of medical school and helps form a solid background.
I'm sure that's true if you've been out of school for a long time or do not have a strong science background.

anyone considering the PBL curriculum? Got to observe it on my interview day and found it really interesting. Don't know if I personally can thrive without a substantial amount of structure, but was wondering if anyone had any opinions (current students especially!), or what the process was to get into that track.

@LuluMed
just wanted to 1) know if you had any experience with friends in PBL and could shed any light on the above. I also got the sense that PBL students were pretty isolated from the regular track (~150 people), and since it's a pretty small section (~6-8 people) that put me off a little.

and 2) I noticed you mentioned doing the pre-matric program. Did you do it online or on campus? Feel free to share any/everything about it. I'm out of school for a few years and was not a natural science major, so I am heavily considering it. But at the same time...I feel like I want to take this last summer to travel/decompress and enjoy life a little haha. Thanks!! :)

I'm sure that's true if you've been out of school for a long time or do not have a strong science background.

True. I'll let you guys know what it's like once I'm in it in June. It's been a while since I've been back to school. (Graduated 6 years ago.)

I hope I'll survive.

Last edited:
@LuluMed
just wanted to 1) know if you had any experience with friends in PBL and could shed any light on the above. I also got the sense that PBL students were pretty isolated from the regular track (~150 people), and since it's a pretty small section (~6-8 people) that put me off a little.

and 2) I noticed you mentioned doing the pre-matric program. Did you do it online or on campus? Feel free to share any/everything about it. I'm out of school for a few years and was not a natural science major, so I am heavily considering it. But at the same time...I feel like I want to take this last summer to travel/decompress and enjoy life a little haha. Thanks!! :)
I'm not sure what you heard during your interview, but our tour guide was a PBL student who said that she's pretty confident that they plan to have 3 groups of 8 PBL students this year. She also said that it's as interactive as you choose; she said she's very involved with her class between OMM and making an effort to be on campus and involved in activities, whereas there are plenty of non-PBL students who are more isolated by choice.

@LuluMed

PBL is what you make of it. The track is expanding A LOT next year so you will have plenty more people to interact with. However, realize that the PBL students take OMM and On Doctoring with us, so you will be in the same room as the other 160-some students 2x a week. Regardless of whether you do PBL or standard lecture, med school is what you make of it. There are a number of people in the lecture path that don't come to class and are therefore more isolated from the med school social life than the PBL students that make a point to get involved. Everyone has their lives outside med school, so it's all about deciding what you want to prioritize as far as classes/studying/social/personal life goes.

I did pre-matric after taking a gap year with absolutely no studying or academic involved (best decision ever) - I appreciated the program because it sorta reminded me early (before grades counted) what it will take to study again. It also gave me a chance to practice with the exam software before the first real exam and a little head start into what we learn in OMM. Honestly, I didn't study too much during pre-matric and I think the greatest thing I gained from it was a chance to meet a lot of new friends before being thrown into the real workload of med school

PBL is what you make of it. The track is expanding A LOT next year so you will have plenty more people to interact with. However, realize that the PBL students take OMM and On Doctoring with us, so you will be in the same room as the other 160-some students 2x a week. Regardless of whether you do PBL or standard lecture, med school is what you make of it. There are a number of people in the lecture path that don't come to class and are therefore more isolated from the med school social life than the PBL students that make a point to get involved. Everyone has their lives outside med school, so it's all about deciding what you want to prioritize as far as classes/studying/social/personal life goes.

I did pre-matric after taking a gap year with absolutely no studying or academic involved (best decision ever) - I appreciated the program because it sorta reminded me early (before grades counted) what it will take to study again. It also gave me a chance to practice with the exam software before the first real exam and a little head start into what we learn in OMM. Honestly, I didn't study too much during pre-matric and I think the greatest thing I gained from it was a chance to meet a lot of new friends before being thrown into the real workload of med school

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate your insight!

I think I might need more structure than PBL can provide, it was just a lot of fun to watch when I visited. Do you do any case based or team stuff in the regular track (not including the On Doctoring course)?

Pre-matric is very likely happening for me, definitely need a little reorienting to studying after being out of school for a couple years haha

II today! Complete 10/27, scheduled for 2/4. MCAT 130/122/127/126 cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.5. Is this late for RowanSOM? Am I interviewing for the waitlist?

Reactions: 1 users
Getting ready to drive up to south jersey. Interview mode activated. (I'm hiding my joy).

Wow - I just back tracked and saw this...

I know you're joking a little here, but as far as things outside of class on the weekend go. There are a couple bars in the area that we go to, otherwise everyone takes patco into Philly - there is always plenty to do there

Should it say "Complete" next to letters of recommendation or is it enough just to have the green checkmark?

Should it say "Complete" next to letters of recommendation or is it enough just to have the green checkmark?
It's enough just to have the green checkmark- rowan doesn't send out complete emails. If everything has a check then you are complete

Interview over. I feel like I convinced them but there is always this "what if" in the back of my head... Plus we hearing back from the admission committee next friday... This is not gonna be an easy week.

II today! Complete 10/27, scheduled for 2/4. MCAT 130/122/127/126 cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.5. Is this late for RowanSOM? Am I interviewing for the waitlist?

Not at all! There are definitely seats still available. Hang in there and kill the interview!

Good luck!

StaystrongDO

As a current first year PBL student, I wish you all the best of luck and look forward to meeting you.
I just wanted to add my opinion of the program. I keep hearing about the "lack of structure" perception as being intimidating, and I fully understand. However, if you are on the fence, read into current students' complaints about "traditional curricula" across the country (the resentment that PhD's are preparing students for clinical boards and practice). The program for me allows me to exercise leadership over my own education and prepare for boards and clinical practice as I see fit, and also allows me to be flexible in my methods (i.e. make changes to my study habits from block to block). It is probably a good fit for students that like teamwork and learning from success and mistakes.

Current 3rd year and loving every minute of it.

Ask me anything! Its easier if you private message me, that way I remember to reply.

Good luck guys! Know yourself and you will do great.

So I spoke with someone from admissions around mid-December and I'm not sure how to take what was told me. The lady I spoke to said that the alternate list was already ranked and there was nothing that I can do to change where I rank. Not even updated MCAT scores. She didn't say this like negatively but she just wanted me to know that. She also told me that where I am on the list has been a spot that has been accepted and that if I were accepted to another school to still consider Rowan because of where I'm at on the list. Does anyone have any insight on this? Would it look bad on my part if I called back and asked if there was any movement on the list? Rowan is my number one choice so I don't want to get my hopes up...
Edit: I just spoke to Marisol and she told me the complete opposite of what I was told earlier in terms of being able to change your rank on the alternate list. Oh well. Time will tell. Best of luck to everyone who is still in the process!!

Last edited:
So I spoke with someone from admissions around mid-December and I'm not sure how to take what was told me. The lady I spoke to said that the alternate list was already ranked and there was nothing that I can do to change where I rank. Not even updated MCAT scores. She didn't say this like negatively but she just wanted me to know that. She also told me that where I am on the list has been a spot that has been accepted and that if I were accepted to another school to still consider Rowan because of where I'm at on the list. Does anyone have any insight on this? Would it look bad on my part if I called back and asked if there was any movement on the list? Rowan is my number one choice so I don't want to get my hopes up...
Edit: I just spoke to Marisol and she told me the complete opposite of what I was told earlier in terms of being able to change your rank on the alternate list. Oh well. Time will tell. Best of luck to everyone who is still in the process!!

Unless they've changed things (and by Marisol's message, it doesn't seem like they have), you've always been able to move on the list with GPA changes or MCAT changes. Nothing else. I would actually contact them again when March/ April comes along and check to make sure again.

Good luck!!!!

-StaystrongDO

Wow...with a 122! This gives me hope....got a 6 on verbal

I'm sure it'll come up in the interview. There's other things on my application that probably make up for it in their eyes and I'm also IS. I have 5 total interviews (so far) with the 122 in CARS. This school is now my first choice

II today, OOS. Very unexpected (complete in July), and so excited for this one. Definitely a top choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure it'll come up in the interview. There's other things on my application that probably make up for it in their eyes and I'm also IS. I have 5 total interviews (so far) with the 122 in CARS. This school is now my first choice
Congrats! It most likely will come up but I'm happy and surprised that they looked past the numbers to see the actual person. Good luck

I've got an II but I'd like to withdraw my application. Anyone know how to do that? I feel like it would be really awkward to call the number given to decline my invitation and would rather do it over an email.

Last edited:
Congrats! It most likely will come up but I'm happy and surprised that they looked past the numbers to see the actual person. Good luck
That's the difference between DO schools and MD schools. They look past your verbal reasoning score to make admission decisions and I think this is great.

I've got an II but I'd like to withdraw my application. Anyone know how to do that? I feel like it would be really awkward to call the number given to decline my invitation and would rather do it over an email.
You can definitely decline over email, that's what I did with other schools. Just shoot a quick email to [email protected] letting them know that you won't be interviewing and you should be good to go. Best of luck wherever you end up going!

Wooow. Is it me or Rowan OOS tuition is ridiculously high ??? Is whatever is on the website the right number ?? That's higher than the rate of most schools in the country.

Wooow. Is it me or Rowan OOS tuition is ridiculously high ??? Is whatever is on the website the right number ?? That's higher than the rate of most schools in the country.

It's pretty on par for OOS tuition at public schools and in general for private schools. Check out MSUCOM (not sure if the acronym) but OOS is somewhere in the 80s

Anyone know if I would be able to get IS tuition if my parents are living in NJ, but im coming from an OOS undergrad school? 21 in age.

Would be a huge change in decisionmaking if i got IS tuition

Anyone know if I would be able to get IS tuition if my parents are living in NJ, but im coming from an OOS undergrad school? 21 in age.

Yes, you can get IS tuition this way.

Good luck!

-StaystrongDO

Yes, you can get IS tuition this way.

Good luck!

-StaystrongDO

If you applied using your permanent and mailing address as NJ, then yes you get IS tuition. You also get considered as in state applicant for Rowan.

Also, if you have a NJ driver's license, registered to vote in your county, W-2s in your NJ address, etc it would make it easier for yourself to get IS tuition.

Just received an email. Accepted students day is on March 12! Hope to see some of you there!

Anyone know if Psychology is considered a science for ROWAN? For their LORS it states on their site that they need two science faculty letters and i would like to know if anyone used a LOR from a social science professor like psych or socio. They arent picking up the phone.

Anyone know if Psychology is considered a science for ROWAN? For their LORS it states on their site that they need two science faculty letters and i would like to know if anyone used a LOR from a social science professor like psych or socio. They arent picking up the phone.
I believe aacomas classifies Psyc as behavioral or social science which is different from natural science. I assume Rowan and other schools would follow suit and say that Psyc can't be used as any natural science including Lors. I used a Psyc letter for my nonscience letter as well.