rx prep: how to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those who PASSED naplex and studied rx prep, did u guys study only bolded and underlined info? Do u think its enough in order to pass?
Please if u did not take naplex, or do not know ur score, pleaselet us know.
I am vey interested in responses of those who were successful with the exam

Members don't see this ad.

Just knowing the bolder stuff won't help you in practice. And I don't feel it's sufficient for the Naplex.

I only studied from the RxPrep 2011 book and I passed the NAPLEX (117).

Do not read only the bolded words. RxPrep is already more concise than many other sources so reading the entire book should be a feasible goal.

The author of RxPrep told us that she feels the bolded and underlined things are the most important, and that's what we should focus on if we have limited time, but the NAPLEX could cover things that aren't bolded/underlined. She especially encouraged us to read the "counseling points" sections in every chapter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I only studied from the RxPrep 2011 book and I passed the NAPLEX (117).

Do not read only the bolded words. RxPrep is already more concise than many other sources so reading the entire book should be a feasible goal.

Did you guys have to memorize all the oncology brand names? It is like 6-7 pages of names!

Did you guys have to memorize all the oncology brand names? It is like 6-7 pages of names!

No, just the ones I was once familiar with in pharmacy school that I was able to memorize easily by recall.

I only had 3 chemo questions based off of one case study.

What about women stuff, like oral contraception? Its a lot of names and all these mono,triphasic, and so on....

Had none of that on my naplex. Had a lot of compounding stuff though that I didn't know.

What kind of compounding?can u give an example , not necesserily from naplex, may be from experience...we did not have a compounding class at my school, so I am kind of not sure what u mean...

What kind of compounding?can u give an example , not necesserily from naplex, may be from experience...we did not have a compounding class at my school, so I am kind of not sure what u mean...

Which of the following are (insert) type ointment bases? Select all that apply.

Terminology and differentiating - titration, levigation, oil in water vs water in oil mixtures - examples of each etc.

Ingredients for mixing - white petrolatum, hydrocarbon bases etc.

General - purpose of increasing particle size, how its done.

Most review books will have a section on compounding.

Terminology and differentiating - titration, levigation, oil in water vs water in oil mixtures - examples of each etc.

Yep, exactly this type of questions.

oh, ok, we did study that.
I thought you guys meant recipes of compounded preparations... I almost fell of my chair, cause I do not have any of those memorized.
What about Haselbax, Holliday Segars equations, do I need to memorize those?
What about calculator, do they give it to you?
Scratch of paper? Can I take a bottle of water?
I have 4 hours, right? Can I go back and change the answer to the question?

oh, ok, we did study that.
I thought you guys meant recipes of compounded preparations... I almost fell of my chair, cause I do not have any of those memorized.
What about Haselbax, Holliday Segars equations, do I need to memorize those?
What about calculator, do they give it to you?
Scratch of paper? Can I take a bottle of water?
I have 4 hours, right? Can I go back and change the answer to the question?

Two things.

1. I really hope you pass
2. In order for you to do #1 you need to relax and breathe. Do NOT freak out, especially during the test.

Know CrCl, adjusted BW, corrected calcium, loading dose, aminophylline conversion, and phenytoin correction. You should be fine.

Thank you guys soooo much!
Speaking of ibw, tbw....
Don,t we use tbw for lovenox and vanco
Total body surface for chemo
Ibw for everything else, pretty much?

Speaking of ibw, tbw....

I believe someone's already mentioned that the pt cases on the naplex have their actual BW close to IBW so I wouldn't worry about that.

Speaking of ibw, tbw....

Ibw is typically used for amino glycosides. Abw for most everything else.