Rxprep book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khydroxide

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am using the RXPREP book to study for the naplex. Seems to hit all the important points and it is concise compared to apha. anyone use only the rxprep book to study? I know most people who successfully passed the naplex used the apha book...

Members don't see this ad.

A few of my friends used RxPrep and have passed it. It is the one I am using right now. Being the master procrastinator that I am, I have to use it since it's shorter and my NAPLEX is this Friday. I might have to reschedule. I made a 75 on the Pre-NAPLEX with zero studying, so that got me a little worried. But at least that's passing with no studying. From what I've heard, everyone feels like they fail after they take it but it seems that most people pass. I'll probably take the Pre-NAPLEX again this week to gauge whether I need to reschedule or not. I think all these books are about the same honestly.

KOH,

So far it seems like RxPrep is a good source . Chapters are very concise, and tell you what you should know about certain drugs, and is pretty easy reading. I have a few comments about the book though:

Positive:

1 Great source if your trying to do some last minute cramming. Has valuable storage items that should be remembered ( Never refrig biaxin, etc.. ) Has nice charts so the info is organized, unlike apha.. I mean apha does have charts, but way too many, and a lot of the bulk of info is maintained within the bullets.

2) I like the cases they give, just because its similiar to what I've seen on pre-Naplex . The pt info is very similiar, and can be used as a good practice tool to emulate what will be on the naplex.

3) If you work for / going to work for CVS, then your rxprep book came with a study guide as well as the course book. Don't forget about the questions on Ipod touch ( a bit pricy, $40 i believe , but is good for on the go. I think 40 is small enough for the price of your education )

Negative regarding RxPrep:

1) Although it is concise, it does lack certain things that kind of worry me. I was never an over achiever (3.2 gpa ) , but the last 2 years of college, I boosted my GPA almost 1.5 points just because I wanted to know everything and understand how it works. It doesn't give an accurate description of pathophys. For this, I try to supplement with apha (when it doesn't bore me), or with kaplan, (caution , its from 2008, still says inhaled insulin on the market, lol ) . Kaplan does a quick, nice job of summarizing med pearls, etc.. I can't think of it right now, but I know some chapters just list the drugs, and had me like.. wth.. where do they fit into therapy?

2) Calculations: It really oversimplifies some of the calculations, stats, pharmacoeconomics, and even compounding. For calculations, try the apha book, or those 120 questions that have been floating around on this forum. For pharmacoecon, (if you want to, rxprep may be sufficient for you, its up to you), try the first chap in dipiro posted on this forum. Compounding, PK try to read as much as apha as you can.

3) Typos: Any book this given length, especially one that's updated yearly, will have a good # of typos, imo. Just be careful if something doesn't sound right, or contradicts what it was talking about previously, just look it up.

That's really all I can think of right now. I was waiting for someone to do a review about their own personal experience with this book but haven't found a complete one.

To be honest, i'm maybe 40% done with rxprep, did a little kaplan, a few chapters in apha. I took prenaplex twice already, and I can tell you understand the disease state kinda helped me make educated guesses about which drug I'm selecting. ( Got 125, 123 on pre). Just tough trying to work full time and get licensed on time ( take naplex in 1 month).

Sorry for typing so much, but just one piece of advice to remember: It's a minimial comp. exam. Any book that has bits and pieces of info + your school knowledge will be sufficient in the exam. Study what your weak on, + calculations, and you'll be golden. Read the intro to rxprep. study HTN, diabetes, ID, calcs, etc.. and you'll def receive a 75 man.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know

Reactions: 1 user
Vincristine9,
thanks for the detailed info. and your time to share your thoughts. Helps a lot!
What are the calculations (120 questions) 'floating around this forum' you're referring to?
If you know the link could you please share?

thank you

KOH,

So far it seems like RxPrep is a good source . Chapters are very concise, and tell you what you should know about certain drugs, and is pretty easy reading. I have a few comments about the book though:

Positive:

1 Great source if your trying to do some last minute cramming. Has valuable storage items that should be remembered ( Never refrig biaxin, etc.. ) Has nice charts so the info is organized, unlike apha.. I mean apha does have charts, but way too many, and a lot of the bulk of info is maintained within the bullets.

2) I like the cases they give, just because its similiar to what I've seen on pre-Naplex . The pt info is very similiar, and can be used as a good practice tool to emulate what will be on the naplex.

3) If you work for / going to work for CVS, then your rxprep book came with a study guide as well as the course book. Don't forget about the questions on Ipod touch ( a bit pricy, $40 i believe , but is good for on the go. I think 40 is small enough for the price of your education )

Negative regarding RxPrep:

1) Although it is concise, it does lack certain things that kind of worry me. I was never an over achiever (3.2 gpa ) , but the last 2 years of college, I boosted my GPA almost 1.5 points just because I wanted to know everything and understand how it works. It doesn't give an accurate description of pathophys. For this, I try to supplement with apha (when it doesn't bore me), or with kaplan, (caution , its from 2008, still says inhaled insulin on the market, lol ) . Kaplan does a quick, nice job of summarizing med pearls, etc.. I can't think of it right now, but I know some chapters just list the drugs, and had me like.. wth.. where do they fit into therapy?

2) Calculations: It really oversimplifies some of the calculations, stats, pharmacoeconomics, and even compounding. For calculations, try the apha book, or those 120 questions that have been floating around on this forum. For pharmacoecon, (if you want to, rxprep may be sufficient for you, its up to you), try the first chap in dipiro posted on this forum. Compounding, PK try to read as much as apha as you can.

3) Typos: Any book this given length, especially one that's updated yearly, will have a good # of typos, imo. Just be careful if something doesn't sound right, or contradicts what it was talking about previously, just look it up.

That's really all I can think of right now. I was waiting for someone to do a review about their own personal experience with this book but haven't found a complete one.

To be honest, i'm maybe 40% done with rxprep, did a little kaplan, a few chapters in apha. I took prenaplex twice already, and I can tell you understand the disease state kinda helped me make educated guesses about which drug I'm selecting. ( Got 125, 123 on pre). Just tough trying to work full time and get licensed on time ( take naplex in 1 month).

Sorry for typing so much, but just one piece of advice to remember: It's a minimial comp. exam. Any book that has bits and pieces of info + your school knowledge will be sufficient in the exam. Study what your weak on, + calculations, and you'll be golden. Read the intro to rxprep. study HTN, diabetes, ID, calcs, etc.. and you'll def receive a 75 man.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions let me know
hi

I need askif u have soft copy of any book u have mentioned!!!