Safe to skip the AOA match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JT19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a US DO student, still deciding between IM and FM. I scored 465 on Comlex Level I. Would it be safe for me to skip the AOA match and apply ACGME, or would that be too risky given my score and the fact that I didn't take USMLE? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a 3rd year of a 4th year? If you're the former I'd say apply to programs in both and see how many ACGME interviews you get. If you're a 4th year, I would ask, "how many ACGME interviews did you get?"

I wouldn't skip... I took both, got 550's and 230 (COMLEX and USMLE respectively). Applied FM ACGME only, somehow didn't match, had to SOAP.

The match is getting more competitive year over year. Almost all the top 40 or so ranks at my current program (that I SOAP's into) were USMD's and DO's with 230's-240's on USMLE. Some even higher.

It's risky enough applying ACGME without a USMLE score. No need to take any extra chances with no USMLE and a sub-average COMLEX.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that I'd take the chance -- too risky right now -- and if you sit out for a year or have to scramble (or SOAP) into something you don't like, you're in it for a while -- transferring between primary care (IM to FM or EM) is a risky proposition -- if you don't secure a position in your intern year, then it becomes a matter of money since primary care programs are only allocated so much cash per slot -- if you need to be extended to fulfill training reqs by say, 6 months -- the program has to eat that cost of the 6 months or you do it without pay ---

Apply broadly to what you want to do, but definitely try to match first time around ---

Apply AOA. Our program doesn't tend to rank too many DOs in the ACGME match. We'd expect you to apply through the DO match. That may be influenced by if you're a DO, you're doing all the DO requirements, regardless of the match you did per program protocol.

I agree with all of the above. There are so many factors. Where you applying? California is gonna be different than Iowa? How many interviews? How did they go? No USMLE?

But if you're a 4th year the AOA match is released in 2 days so you're a bit late aren't you?

Question: Why do so many DOs seem to not want to apply for the DO match?

Location. Very few DO locations in areas I wanted to be.

You may not have a choice. You don't want to go unmatched (this happened to me and I scrambled at the last minute and got lucky at a good program). Being location picky is going to leave you high and dry without any residency at all. Need to weigh all your options. Residency>>>>>> location if you are at high risk of not matching. You can always work where you want to live when you are done.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm a US DO student, still deciding between IM and FM. I scored 465 on Comlex Level I. Would it be safe for me to skip the AOA match and apply ACGME, or would that be too risky given my score and the fact that I didn't take USMLE? Thanks.

Need to take USMLE, I think.
465 isn't a great score, what did you get on COMLEX 2?.
Go for DO match.

You may not have a choice. You don't want to go unmatched (this happened to me and I scrambled at the last minute and got lucky at a good program). Being location picky is going to leave you high and dry without any residency at all. Need to weigh all your options. Residency>>>>>> location if you are at high risk of not matching. You can always work where you want to live when you are done.

Agree, I was just giving him an example of why. Location was not my sole factor but I applied to both to see what my options were with my stats.

Couldn't he base this off of how many interviews he receives? For instance, if he gets 10 ACGME interviews, and he feels like he interviews well, couldn't that be a relatively safe number for securing at least 1 of those 10 spots and forgoing the AOA match? I'm not speaking of the big-wig programs of course, but some of the smaller ones.