Saint Joseph SOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm that is weird...I wonder why I have not received it. Was the e-mail from certiphi?
As for loans, yes you have to wait until January 1st.

Hi, I have chosen Saint Joseph as my pharmacy school choice. Meredith called me on Tuesday, told me that there will be a packet arriving soon, and I just have to fill it out and send it to back. She did not mention anything about the background check... any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted in October as well and I haven't received anything from them either. No packets, background checks or any other relevant forms through snail mail and/or email. I called Joanna two weeks ago and she said we should be receiving a packet with all the forms but she didn't specify when.

I was accepted in October as well and I haven't received anything from them either. No packets, background checks or any other relevant forms through snail mail and/or email. I called Joanna two weeks ago and she said we should be receiving a packet with all the forms but she didn't specify when.

I e-mailed Dr. Nicholas today and he said that not receiving the background check must be an issue with pharmcas and to call them...I am going to call pharmcas this afternoon. I also have not received any packet...just the form for me to send in my deposit (which I did) and then an e-mail saying they received my deposit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received an email about my deposit. I sent it in back in October as well.

I haven't received an email about my deposit. I sent it in back in October as well.

hmm that's weird...I just looked and I received the e-mail on November 6th and it was from Meridtih.

Has anyone who has been accepted received a "packet" of any kind???

Hi ria1010! I would recommend you call Certiphi at 1-800-803-9582. I called pharmcas to figure out why I had not received the background check and they told me I had to call Certiphi. Certiphi said they sent me the background check e-mail back in October but they sent it to the wrong e-mail address...so my guess would be that something similar happened with yours. They were very helpful and resent it to my current e-mail right away. :)

Hi ria1010! I would recommend you call Certiphi at 1-800-803-9582. I called pharmcas to figure out why I had not received the background check and they told me I had to call Certiphi. Certiphi said they sent me the background check e-mail back in October but they sent it to the wrong e-mail address...so my guess would be that something similar happened with yours. They were very helpful and resent it to my current e-mail right away. :)

That sounds great, I'll be giving Certiphi a call. Thank you, Sarah!! :thumbup:

About this mysterious packet, any P1 students care to chime in on when/if they received theirs? We'd greatly appreciate it!

hmm that's weird...I just looked and I received the e-mail on November 6th and it was from Meridtih.

Has anyone who has been accepted received a "packet" of any kind???

Hey guys,
It seems like no "packet" has been sent out to anyone. I have received acceptance to another school a while back and they sent me an email for background check from [email protected]
I have not yet completed the background check because i had a problem with PharmCAS. Reading from past comments in this thread, it seems that Saint Joes also uses Certiphi as the background check processor? Do you think that I would only need to do one background check and it'll apply to all schools??

Hey guys,
It seems like no "packet" has been sent out to anyone. I have received acceptance to another school a while back and they sent me an email for background check from [email protected]
I have not yet completed the background check because i had a problem with PharmCAS. Reading from past comments in this thread, it seems that Saint Joes also uses Certiphi as the background check processor? Do you think that I would only need to do one background check and it'll apply to all schools??

All PharmCAS schools that require background checks use Certiphi. Once you do it and release the results, it can be accessed by all schools that require it. I have multiple acceptances and I only had to do the background check once.

So it is PharmCas's responsibility to do the background check for all schools applied, correct?

All PharmCAS schools that require background checks use Certiphi. Once you do it and release the results, it can be accessed by all schools that require it. I have multiple acceptances and I only had to do the background check once.

woohoo! great thank you =) I completed my background check this morning. I also paid the $53 drug test fee. Has anyone completed their drug test via the LabCorp Facility yet?

woohoo! great thank you =) I completed my background check this morning. I also paid the $53 drug test fee. Has anyone completed their drug test via the LabCorp Facility yet?

I didn't get an e-mail for a drug test...did you receive it with the background check e-mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get an e-mail for a drug test...did you receive it with the background check e-mail?

hmm i got an email for a drug test and background check at the same time, but i got if after my first school acceptance, before i got my acceptance from Saint Joseph. so perhaps it was for the other school? because i have not yet recieved anything from Merideth.. But from my understanding, it's must be done for most if not all Pharmcas schools.

Check out info from the pharmcas website:
https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2012/instruction/pcas_drugscreening.htm

Hey Guys,
I called Meridith today, she said that saint joes does indeed require a drug test in addition to the background check. She said that Pharmcas will send out the email as soon as The deposit is paid. I haven't paid my deposit yet (somehow my acceptance packet never made it to me) she said it was suppose to arrive shortly after the phone call.

I did my drug test today, it was just an easy urine test lol.

Hey Guys,
I called Meridith today, she said that saint joes does indeed require a drug test in addition to the background check. She said that Pharmcas will send out the email as soon as The deposit is paid. I haven't paid my deposit yet (somehow my acceptance packet never made it to me) she said it was suppose to arrive shortly after the phone call.

I did my drug test today, it was just an easy urine test lol.

When I received the e-mail from Certiphi it was only for a background check...I called Certiphi to see if the drug test e-mail was going to arrive separately but they said that they had nothing in the system for a drug test for Saint Joseph...weird...I e-mailed Meridith to explain this to her and hopefully she will have some answers for us! Thank you for your help!

Hi, been lurking on here because I didn't want to jinx my chances of getting in but I was accepted today! So excited!

I am seriously considering it. I loved the faculty and the area. I had an interview yesterday at ETSU and will have one tomorrow with Wingate, but I really fell in love with everything about St. Joseph's.

I heard back from Dr. Nicholas this morning and he said there was a glitch in the system and for some reason people accepted to Saint Joseph only received the background check e-mail and not the drug test. The glitch has been fixed and everyone who has paid their tuition deposit will be receiving the e-mail from Certiphi for the drug test shortly. Hope this clears up any confusion!

I'm IN!!! YAY!!!

Thank you for all of your help :) See ya in Fall 2013! :soexcited:

I just got the call this afternoon about setting up an appointment for an interview! I am SO SUPER excited!!!!!!!!!! :D :clap:

I hope to see all of you next fall in the class of 2016!! :)

I put a deposit down for living at temple street townhouses next year and I was just wondering if anyone else has decided to live there as well!? I am so excited!!!

Congrats to all of us, I got accepted yesterday too :)
I do have one question about the class of 2014. They say that they have to get enough students to pass the NAPLEX so the school can proceed to be fully accredited. So what happens if not enough students pass it?

thanks for your feedback!

I put a deposit down for living at temple street townhouses next year and I was just wondering if anyone else has decided to live there as well!? I am so excited!!!

Hey sarah! I'm also considering living at the townhouses but lately I've been hearing mixed reviews from those currently staying there. Still not sure and I'd like to find out more about the other nearby housing options but for now I might be leaning towards a yes on temple street :)

Hey sarah! I'm also considering living at the townhouses but lately I've been hearing mixed reviews from those currently staying there. Still not sure and I'd like to find out more about the other nearby housing options but for now I might be leaning towards a yes on temple street :)

Hey ria! Just curious...what have you heard? I don't know anyone that is at the school now so I really have no one to ask. I am just excited to be within walking distance from the school and I like how safe it is. Also, since I am going to be having my car with me, the parking garage below the townhouses is really convenient. I hope I end up liking it! It would be great if you ended up there too! Let me know what you decide :)

I am set to interview on Jan 17th at 12:30! Anyone else interviewing that day also?! :)
I can't wait! I think I am going to die of anticipation before then!! :smack:

Does anyone who already interviewed here have any tips/advice/suggestions for interview day? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Hey ria! Just curious...what have you heard? I don't know anyone that is at the school now so I really have no one to ask. I am just excited to be within walking distance from the school and I like how safe it is. Also, since I am going to be having my car with me, the parking garage below the townhouses is really convenient. I hope I end up liking it! It would be great if you ended up there too! Let me know what you decide :)

Absolutely, I'll let you know if anything! :) And I totally agree, the close proximity is a huge deciding factor for me also. After my interview, I asked students who have been staying there for more than a yr now and they love it. I've heard from others who are from out of town seem to like the townhouses based on convenience as well.
On the other hand, I met folks who didn't like it as much only because they had loud neighbors. Consequently, they couldn't really focus on their studying and claim it's not worth the ~700 buckaroos they pay monthly :thumbdown:
It'd be nice to hear some feedback on the other housing options but so far I'm pretty sold on the townhouses.

I am set to interview on Jan 17th at 12:30! Anyone else interviewing that day also?! :)
I can't wait! I think I am going to die of anticipation before then!! :smack:

Does anyone who already interviewed here have any tips/advice/suggestions for interview day? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Hi GG, the interview is open file and will consist of question/answer portion and math/essay test. Be prepared to answer q's like why pharmacy or why saint joseph but other than that, the faculty and staff are really friendly. Some really great sdn users have provided helpful comments so you can check those out as well :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Just got the email that my deposit was received! See you guys in August! :highfive:

Hi GG, the interview is open file and will consist of question/answer portion and math/essay test. Be prepared to answer q's like why pharmacy or why saint joseph but other than that, the faculty and staff are really friendly. Some really great sdn users have provided helpful comments so you can check those out as well :) Good luck!

Hi ria! Thanks so much for the info, it is helpful! Yes, I am def going to look up some past comments/threads about St Joe's. Thanks again, and good luck to you too! Hopefully I will be seeing you guys in the fall for the class of 2016!!! :)

Wow they got back to me in a week. I must have smashed that interview lol. Welcome class of 2016'ers !!

Does anyone know any other alternative options other than Temple Street Townhouses? The student that I talked to said that a lot of people stay in West Hartford. Being from North Carolina, I am not familiar with Hartford and where the better places to stay are...

Re: The drug screening part

Does anyone know how the drug screening part of the background check works? Do I have to download a drug screen form from Certiphi or do I just go to a clinic and get a form and scan that one. ???? thanks

nevermind! lol

Last edited:
Wow they got back to me in a week. I must have smashed that interview lol. Welcome class of 2016'ers !!

Hello! Congrats on your acceptance! I was wondering if you could share a little bit about the experience so that I, and other interviewees, can get a feel of what to expect?! Any info would be wonderful!! Thanks!!!! :) :)

How's Saint Joseph compare to other campuses you guys have visited? Are you worried about the reputation of Saint Joseph at all? I've just realized that this is a 3 year program and I'm considering applying. I totally forgot about this school!

I hope it's not too late.

Does anyone remember or know what time classes begin and end at USJ for P1 P2 students. I just cannot recall :shrug: Please share, thanks!

JUST AN OPINION ON ST. JOSEPH's:

I hope no one finds this offensive but i thought i would give my opinion on this school. Here are some pros and cons for you guys deciding whether or not the school is a right fit.

Pros:
-Very well-structured block system curriculum.
-Faculty are extremely friendly and have the opportunity to work one-on-one due to small class sizes (~75 if I'm remembering correctly)
-Fast-paced and you will be able to get in an out and start your career immediately (this could be a pro and a con(see con)).
-They encourage teamwork and emphasis the ability to handle people you may have not been able to get along with previously.
-New facility and still growing.

Cons:
-Since it is a start up school they havent completely worked out the ins and outs.
-Fast-paced does not = quality. Although it is beneficial to those who are at the later stages in their life, it might not good for some who are not completely in tune with the pharmacy profession. For example if you are not completely sure what specific part of the pharmaceutical field you want to enter, it could hurt you in the long run because you were not able to fully utilize the opportunities the school may offer you (This is because most places are looking for experience and the best time to gain that experience is while you are still in school, through internships and such)
-Not much affiliations with well-known reputable companies and hospitals. Employers look for the name on resumes.
-Research is at its infancy and is starting up in the fall 2013 semester. They are still working on establishing it. Its hard to tell if it will be effective.

Thats all really, just thought i would give you guys some idea on the school. This is not to discredit or praise the school but to provide you with some information. Some people may see some cons as pros or vice versa but this is just my opinion. Hope you guys find it helpful!!

Did my interview two days ago!! I think it went well!! They said they will be calling me within 2 weeks! *fingers crossed* !!! :xf::xf:

I have rescinded my enrollment to this program to attend school in my hometown (Detroit). Best of luck to all!

BTW, if anyone wants any info about the interview process, such as questions, what to expect, who you might meet, and the entire process in general, please feel free to PM me. :)

I have absolutely no problem in sharing my experience, and pointing other interviewees in the right direction because this is what I wanted before I went to interview. I understand that there are people who do not like to share due to being worried it might, in some way, effect their admission decision if it were found. I, however, feel that I would've wanted as much info as possible because this tops the list, for me, of most stressful events in my life! And the most dependent on the rest of my entire life, hence the extreme nerves. And any guidance is appreciated. So, again, PM if you want!!

Good luck to all other and future interviewees!! :)

Hey guys I'm Val. I have my interview in 2 weeks so I'm a little nervous. I was wondering what kind of questions they ask? What should I expect for the math portion?

I would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks so much :)

Congrats to the ones who got in already :thumbup::)

Dont sweat it too much. its really chill. They will ask you questions like why pharmacy, why st jos, a couple scenario questions, your strengths and weaknesses and they will explain the curriculum to you. With the math its similar to PCAT but easier. Know your functions, inverses, derivatives and you will be great.

Good luck, I got accept a month ago. Class of 2016!!

Awesome, thanks so much!! Congrats on getting in!!! :)

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a resource for housing near the school that's not the Temple houses? I'm looking for a studio or a 1-bedroom situation...thanks!!!

Hello everyone,
I got accepted, and would like to know if anyone is looking for a roommate. I think i'm planning to live in the Temple houses but not sure :confused: