Schools that accept Grad degree credits towards 90/95 credit requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolbro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I would appreciate the names of med schools that accept 35-40 credits from my US graduate degree towards 90/95 credit requirement. I plan to do about 60 credits of undergrad courses to satisfy pre-requisites (since I did BS in abroad).. And it would be good to have 35-40 credits from my MS-engineering in US, to be counted. I want to know names of schools that accept the US graduate course credits.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for replying.

I do have a MSAR book. I don't see any mention of accepting foreign degrees. in that. Is that same as 'accepting international applicants=yes'?

If that is so, I would think that some of premedical coursework' , such as mathematics, statistics, physics and inorganic chemistry, could be met by foreign BS degree coursework. I read on some university's websites that premedical coursework must be in US or Canada only.

If 'acceptance of foreign degree' is mentioned in MSAR, please point me to the specific section.

thanks

I only have limited experience with this, so verify what I say. My understanding is that they take courses from your graduate program if they were undergraduate classes. Many masters offer 9-12 units of undergrad work toward your degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
coolbro, you need to email the schools you're interested in directly. And yes, these will be schools that accept international students (check out MSAR), as they are usually more flexible about foreign and graduate credits. Private schools are generally more flexible than state ones, more prestigious schools even more so (if you impress them with you application and MCAT score). There are some schools that explicitly require US or Canadian bachelor's degrees, so of course you don't want to apply to these (MSAR again).

Of the schools I contacted myself, most won't even consider either foreign or graduate classes - I actually ended up earning more than 90 US undergraduate credits (after a foreign BS and a US PhD). But some schools do accept foreign and graduate classes towards their requirements (even towards prereqs): Rosalind Franklin replied to me that they do, and I once found it on Albert Einstein's web site that they accept some foreign credits. But these are the only ones that come to mind - like I said, I ended up taking more than 90 credits anyway.

You will need 60-90 credit hours. No, graduate study doesn't count. They can't compare you to other traditional applicants using your graduate credits.
I would suggest to narrow down the list of schools by using the MSAR and school's websites. Then, call them and ask. Don't email - a lot of times they don't even reply.

Don't email - a lot of times they don't even reply.
It's true that some schools don't reply to emails, but, in my experience, most do (even if it takes them a few days to get back to you). My rationale for not calling schools is that they may not have an answer right away; for example, quite a few schools need to see "the whole package" before they reply whether they accept parts of it (foreign credits, graduate credits) *in your case*. Some schools are very strict about their requirements, they will give you answers right away; quite a few are flexible (even if they don't explicitly state it on their web site etc.), give them a chance to evaluate your whole application.

But in the end, of course, whatever works for you - phone calls, emails, smoke signals :)

Hello,
I would appreciate the names of med schools that accept 35-40 credits from my US graduate degree towards 90/95 credit requirement. I plan to do about 60 credits of undergrad courses to satisfy pre-requisites (since I did BS in abroad).. And it would be good to have 35-40 credits from my MS-engineering in US, to be counted. I want to know names of schools that accept the US graduate course credits.
thanks
I know a few (medical schools), but that was 10 years ago. I used mostly graduate credits to meet the 90 credits requirement (in fact--8 credits only undergraduate, and that was only for a prereq. I was missing). Your status indicates dental school...are you applying to dental or medical schools?

I think only Texas schools need 90 undergrad credits in the states.