Schools to Apply to in January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is a follow-up to this one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-not-get-into-med-school-with-a-40-mcat.1166754/

So, one of my relatives was talking to me today (we'll call her "Auntie B"), and after I lamented my financial troubles to her, she let on that she might be able to help me with applications "as a Christmas present". When I mentioned to her that sooner would be better, she told me to be nice to those offering to help. I spent the next 15 minutes complimenting her hair and her generosity.

So I come to the genius posters of SDN with a riddle: If I send out some primaries in January, which MD schools might actually respond?

(DO schools are not an option--although I would love to attend a DO school, one of my LOR writers resolutely refused to write a letter if it would be used for DO apps...)

Ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I think Albany's secondary deadline is Jan 15th, not sure about primary

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the latest MD primary deadlines are in December. Check out the AAMC website by Googling "Medical school application deadlines." They have a search function that will show you all of the MD schools with AMCAS deadlines in November, December, etc.

I would personally just explain everything to your aunt/any other relatives offering to help. I have found that in families without a history of people becoming physicians tend to be confused when they hear about the application process.

Good catch, I wonder why it was added to the MSAR if the school is essentially irrelevant.

In my copy of the MSAR, BS/MD programs are listed. The medical school probably has different deadlines for their regular MD and other programs such as BS/MD.

Can you save the money until next year? Or use it to move to Texas so you can have your pick in a year or two?

Reactions: 2 users
January??? LOL wow you are worse than me. My latest was like early December.

I would save it for next year.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank her, accept the money, and use it to apply next cycle when the odds of it paying off will be better.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Per a very brief review of deadlines on the AAMC site (https://students-residents.aamc.org...icle/participating-medical-schools-deadlines/), I don't think many if any schools will still be accepting applications in January. This doesn't even go into whether applying so late would be a wise decision. I think the money spent applying is likely to be thrown down the drain if applying that late. I think it would improve your chances of success to simply wait until the next cycle rather than trying to jump in at the last minute for this one. Should you fail, you may find yourself in just as difficult of a financial situation in the summer/fall but with significant amounts of money spent and nothing to show for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at the other thread you posted last month; Did you check if your MCAT score expires for ALL schools for next cycle? I know not all go by the "3 year and its expired" rule and there was somebody who posted a while ago about using a 2013 MCAT for next cycle and was able to come up with a very reasonable list of schools that would accept it.

Particularly if in fact your MCAT hasn't expired at a good number of places, might as well save the money for next cycle if you don't get in this round. Also are you a WA resident or just WWAMI? I ask because Washington State is opening up a school for next cycle: that could really help your cause if you are from WA.

Reactions: 1 users
This was probably brought up in the other thread, but why didn't you utilize a credit card for this application cycle?

OP didn't have the money to apply. Not sure what is LOL about that.

My "LOL" was purely stating her timing. Submitting in Jan, is a pretty unwise choice. Actually November for applications would be kind of late as is...

Otherwise, if she is truly poor and need financial assistance, FAP? It's not very hard to qualify for - assuming you are actually poor.

My "LOL" was purely stating her timing. Submitting in Jan, is a pretty unwise choice. Actually November for applications would be kind of late as is...

Otherwise, if she is truly poor and need financial assistance, FAP? It's not very hard to qualify for - assuming you are actually poor.
It seems that you are unfamiliar with OP's situation. Extremely high MCAT (40) that will expire soon, can't afford to apply to more than a few schools. OP doesn't qualify for FAP due to a complicated family situation. Turns out FAP IS hard to qualify for, as you seem to be unaware. Read here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-not-get-into-med-school-with-a-40-mcat.1166754/

Slow down before you jump to conclusions.

Reactions: 4 users
-Have no savings and zero family members willing to loan you money.
-Live in the northwest (so you have only 1 state school, and 1 other within 200 miles). probably not same state, but only 1 state school and is it 1 or 2 other states are considered IN STATE (because they have no med school of their own???)
-Live in an area with high unemployment so you can only find part-time work as a chemistry tutor. (Tutor online. tutor.com - I get 800$ a month from them for chemistry tutoring.)
-Have a mother who makes a couple dollars above the FAP cutoff line. YUP
-And you get bonus points if your father left the family when you were half-way through undergrad and left you (and your mother) with nothing more than a $50,000 past-due balance across a dozen credit cards. OMG are you my sister??? Wait, I don't have a sister. I found out about a 17 year old half brother... when I was like 20 or something. We grew up 9 people in 2 bed rooms, and he got a good job (after my mother worked illegally to support his degree) of 200k, while my mother has loans for his educations - how funny.

Feels like we're the same person with 2 big difference.
my MCAT sucks (VR6); and I'm ****en good at making money. We should be siblings neh?

Oh it's SPinach Dip - I like that dude or dudette. Really do. But still have loads of criticism...

Yeah, why didn't she ask for advise earlier? Ultimately it's her failure to plan.

She should've applied to a "few" schools in June. She could've picked up a part time job. If her MCAT is expiring in soon that means she had 3 years to plan and didn't?

I don't know. Between 18 and 24 (my application cycle) - I had over 30 jobs, so I don't usually understand when someone says they can't make a few thousand. Either live with a family member or squeeze 4 people into a bed room and pay rent that's only like 100 a month :/.

Extremely high MCAT (40) that will expire soon, can't afford to apply to more than a few schools.
With a good GPA and MCAT you don't need to apply to that many schools. I didn't have a stellar GPA and my MCAT was far from 40 - and I only applied to 6 - Got lucky. If she gets in from applying to 6 schools, well, I don't think it's luck.

Slow down before you jump to conclusions...as you seem to be unaware [FAP].

You can file for FAP without including your parents/family information. I got FAP approved despite my father making 200k/year (Before you jump down my throat - I am NOT entitled and I do not get any money from him.) - also I didn't actually use FAP because I got approved late (my own fault there). You can declare yourself financially independent - they legally cannot demand or take into account your parent taxes. Maybe the rules have changed in the past few years (2?).

Last edited:
You can file for FAP without including your parents/family information. I got FAP approved despite my father making 200k/year (Before you jump down my throat - I am NOT entitled and I do not get any money from him.) - also I didn't actually use FAP because I got approved late (my own fault there). You can declare yourself financially independent - they legally cannot demand or take into account your parent taxes. Maybe the rules have changed in the past few years (2?).

I suppose things have changed in the past couple years. I was told I needed to provide tax statements for both parents, the only exception being: if they were dead. When I tried to submit FAP without that info, I received a form email telling me that my app was not complete.

....And then when I added my parents' income (without documentation), I was told no documents were needed because I wouldn't qualify anyway.

Ultimately it's her failure to plan.

I'm sorry that the 1 relative who has the means to cover all my costs (and said they would) decided to change their mind halfway through the cycle last year. I'm also sorry I have been struggling to find employment while stuck in one of the cities with the highest unemployment rate in the country.

I think what you mean to say is: "Ultimately, it's her failure to choose plans which actually work."

Looking at the other thread you posted last month; Did you check if your MCAT score expires for ALL schools for next cycle? I know not all go by the "3 year and its expired" rule and there was somebody who posted a while ago about using a 2013 MCAT for next cycle and was able to come up with a very reasonable list of schools that would accept it.

Particularly if in fact your MCAT hasn't expired at a good number of places, might as well save the money for next cycle if you don't get in this round. Also are you a WA resident or just WWAMI? I ask because Washington State is opening up a school for next cycle: that could really help your cause if you are from WA.

Wait, some schools accept MCATs after 4 years?

Does anyone have a list of these schools? Or do I have to open MSAR and look through them 1-by-1?

Wait, some schools accept MCATs after 4 years?

Does anyone have a list of these schools? Or do I have to open MSAR and look through them 1-by-1?

It's 3 years for a large number of schools but there are some that are 2 and some that are 4.

Yeah, you'll have to suss out through MSAR and see which ones you can use a 4 year expiration date on. I've never done it myself but I was looking at a WAMC thread a while back and there was someone trying to apply next cycle with a 2013 MCAT and listed all the schools he could use it for based off his own research. It was a fairly decent list. Again, this is just one person doing this; I've never done it so I can't confirm if that person is full of crap or if they were accurate. But not all schools are 3 and in your case even if its only a handful that will accept 4 years, its worth looking to see which ones they are. TMDSAS schools MCAT scores are generally valid for 5 years if I'm not mistaken. Obviously, being OOS that doesn't really help you though although with that 40 MCAT if you have a respectable GPA perhaps its not out of the realm of consideration you could get some interest from a Texas school. That is hardly the most ideal or optimal plan though.

By January, probably the only thing left is good ol St. George

@Spinach Dip
Btw here is the list I was talking about that somebody who wants to apply in 2017 with a 2013 MCAT is using. They claim they went through MSAR and found these schools that would accept a 2013 MCAT. If this list is accurate, that's a fairly broad list of schools. At the very least, when you go through MSAR look at these schools specifically first. If all these schools check out as schools you can apply to next year with your MCAT, that's a pretty decent list. At least 12 schools you could apply to from WWAMI region.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/3-65-gpa-old-35-mcat-8-2013.1157883/

Last edited:
Also, it seems the City University of New York's medical college

https://services.aamc.org/msar/schoolDetails/3898/summary

deadline for primary January 8th

Also 3 Canadian medical schools in Quebec (deadline march)

There is a sophie davis program where you do 3 years of undergrad and the 2 preclinical years then they do the clinical years at affiliated institutions (nyu downstate nymc albany and previously stony brook and dartmouth). But they had an issue where they had more graduates than open spots and lost 2 affiliates. They opened their own MD school in harlem to start this year, affiliated with st. barnabas in the south bronx. I'm not sure if they're phasing out the bs/md or not but it seems like there is a new class of 70 md students a year at least.

Last edited:
Sounds like you should either wait until next cycle or convince your LOR writer that DO is a perfectly good path to a meaningful career in medicine.

Hey Spinach Dip I don't know whether you have already done this, but if you set up like a gofundme/patreon/similar account people can donate directly and I know I would in a heartbeat for someone who is in a situation like this.

This thread is a follow-up to this one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-to-not-get-into-med-school-with-a-40-mcat.1166754/

So, one of my relatives was talking to me today (we'll call her "Auntie B"), and after I lamented my financial troubles to her, she let on that she might be able to help me with applications "as a Christmas present". When I mentioned to her that sooner would be better, she told me to be nice to those offering to help. I spent the next 15 minutes complimenting her hair and her generosity.

So I come to the genius posters of SDN with a riddle: If I send out some primaries in January, which MD schools might actually respond?

(DO schools are not an option--although I would love to attend a DO school, one of my LOR writers resolutely refused to write a letter if it would be used for DO apps...)

Ideas?

I tend to just lurk on these forums but I feel like I need to reply to this! I think you should send a letter NOW to some schools explaining your situation and see if any would be willing to accept a secondary post-deadline. Your scores are so high I guarantee, upon hearing the situation, many schools would be willing to give you a chance. I feel like some of the more primary-care based schools tend to look at applicants as a whole and would be compassionate to such a situation, definitely consider Albany like a previous poster said as they put most interviewees on an under consideration list until Februrary anyway. Maybe also consider Vermont, as they seem to be a bit behind reviewing applications anyway.

Again, i would explain your situation to many schools now. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, I'm not sure where you're from or living now, but I've been making a lot of cash by volunteering at nearby hospitals and universities as a healthy research subject. Sometimes it's a simple as a computer task or an MRI and you can get paid anywhere from $10 to hundreds of dollars depending on the study. And most researchers are willing to work around your schedule, so you wouldn't have to miss work or school.

Your scores are so high I guarantee, upon hearing the situation, many schools would be willing to give you a chance.

This seems too optimistic. There are few IIs left at many schools. It is a much better option to save for next cycle, even if you have to retake the MCAT. If you can get a 40 once, you can get a good score on the new one. I don't mean to sound uncaring, but the med school applications process is really harsh and you do NOT want to start it in January. It's just an insurmountable obstacle.

I wouldn't take the chance of applying to an MD school in January. It's very risky.

If I were in your shoes: I would take the money and save it until the 2016 cycle. That way you can apply early and have a better shot at getting accepted than you would applying to a school in January.

Ideas?

Is DO really out of the question for you? Convincing? My writer had reservations about me applying DO (and I applied late) but I told them it is my best shot at this point.

Last edited:
OP. Why do you give me these feelz.... I'm broke myself and paid for most of my apps/secondaries with credit cards, but I have a bit saved up in the bank. If things don't end up working for you this cycle and you reapply, pm me. I'd seriously be willing to donate/pay for a few of your apps. In the meantime I saw that you applied to 3 schools, why not send them updates/ LOI's..