Screening for HIV, Hep B & Hep C

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D30417995

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the screening test for HIV, Hepatitis B & C has to be done on our own before enrolment or if it is provided free of charge by the school of medicine?

For those who are already in med school, do you still remember how much you paid to have the test done in Australia (particularly in Victoria)?

Thanks a lot folks!

Members don't see this ad.

When I started medicine at UNSW all of us were sent for check ups regarding vaccination hx and blood serology tests...including the mantoux test...as an International student I have medicare so the costs were covered by that...but medicare for me is about 300 bucks per annum if I recall...

At UQ we did hep and TB here. Very cheap, as I think my OHSC insurance covered most of it. I don't recall any HIV screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...the OSHC...sometimes I don't feel like renewing it when the new year starts...we did have the HIV tests done though...

nathanesque said:
sometimes I don't feel like renewing it when the new year starts

hmm.., why's that?

Well it is definitely a form of insurance but sometimes you wonder whether your annual medical bills would necessarily amount to a couple of hundred...besides tuition fees are already expensive for me :eek:

Most medical students usually do the Hep and HIV test before they enter Australia.

JoeNamaMD said:
Most medical students usually do the Hep and HIV test before they enter Australia.

Really? I don't recall having that as a medical requirement for medical school but yes...I had to go for check ups and x rays to get an Australian Student Visa...but even if you've got all your vaccinations and tests done...all the 1st year undergrads still had to make an appointment at POWH...haha...it was funny how we had to fill in a mini-test on vaccinations and infectious diseases before the consultation...

It would seem kind of inefficient for international students to get HIV and Hep tests again, from what I know if you study medicine, dentistry, or nursing as an international student or are here for more than a year, you have to get these tests done before your VISA granted. In our internet connected world I am sure the locals can pull your information from the DIMIA.

No, they actually cannot get your DIMIA records -- pretty sure it's illegal.

When getting my tb test, they were going to have me redo my chest xray since they couldn't get the one I had just gotten for my visa, but they decided it wasn't a concern when the Mantou was negative.