Separation orders question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm coming up on 1 year left on my service commitment. I started active duty on July 1. Are my separation orders going to have me separate in July or will it be the end if June? Because if it is for July, I imagine the command not allowing me to separate until July 31. That would be a real pisser!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw a friend's resignation request, and he put down July as his date of resignation. Can I just put down June?

I just submitted mine. PSD didn't have a date for me (go figure). My residency contract said "July 2014" with no firm date. I submitted the paperwork for 1 July. We'll see how that goes....

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know for how long the government will store one's household goods when separating (not retiring)?

I talked to my detailer a bit about this. The detailer said my commitment ran through August! WTF. I had to get that fixed over at special pays apparently. Once my ASP comes in, I'm going to be submitting my resignation request.

I want to say 12 more months, but maybe a bit more. It's kind of like doing a 3 year residency and then the program director tells you that you have to work through the end of the following month... Ugh.

So, questions about this, as I asked this same question on another thread and didn't really get an answer. But, if I am planning to start residency right when I get my SEP orders, should I tell the program I'll be there July 1 or August 1? This is kind of a big deal because we HAVE to go through the match nowadays so I can't come in off-cycle as I understand it.

If started active duty June 4, 2009 (then internship, then 4 year GMO), and I have a 4 year contract then I don't see why I can't be released June 4, 2014 from active duty? Is this correct?

If I just pay back the pro-rated one month of bonus does that get me SEP Orders before August?

Thanks.

So, questions about this, as I asked this same question on another thread and didn't really get an answer. But, if I am planning to start residency right when I get my SEP orders, should I tell the program I'll be there July 1 or August 1? This is kind of a big deal because we HAVE to go through the match nowadays so I can't come in off-cycle as I understand it.

If started active duty June 4, 2009 (then internship, then 4 year GMO), and I have a 4 year contract then I don't see why I can't be released June 4, 2014 from active duty? Is this correct?

If I just pay back the pro-rated one month of bonus does that get me SEP Orders before August?

Thanks.

Doesn't really address the larger point, but will you not/did you not sign an MASP 1-year contract (the $15K one) effective 1 July of the summer before you separate?

If you will/did, then that will take you through 30 June irrespective of when your internship started.

I have not yet signed my bonus letter, pending info on this issue. I have asked the Special Pays department and they have no idea.

My point is, if I don't sign it and I can leave 30 days early, its worth the $11k to me (after taxes) to not lose a seat in residency for not starting on time.

I can see how you would make that choice, but does signing the bonus really keep you from starting on time? Even if the bonus does delay your separation from 4 to 30 June, can you not get to your residency by 1 July after factoring in out-processing and leave?

And if your separation date turns out to be 30 June or later, then the bonus shouldn't add time.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know for how long the government will store one's household goods when separating (not retiring)?

They'll store your stuff free of charge for up to 3 months. Then you can have it delivered either to a house or another storage facility.

I have not yet signed my bonus letter, pending info on this issue. I have asked the Special Pays department and they have no idea.

My point is, if I don't sign it and I can leave 30 days early, its worth the $11k to me (after taxes) to not lose a seat in residency for not starting on time.

Don't you have some leave saved up? Most commands grant at least 30 days of transitional leave and you can sign out on the first business day before you transitional leave start (eg, so if your transitional leave starts on a monday, you can final out the friday before). Just make sure to request it like 6 months out. And make sure to start ACAP as soon as possible!

Thanks.

Despite starting on 4 June, you really did not start your payback until after internship/residency. So......that would be 1 July.

For those staying until retirement, they usually make you stay until the end of the month of the 20th anniversary.

Off topic, but:

You guys are getting 30+ days transition leave reliably?

All my colleagues who got out recently, with 75+ days of leave on the book from deployment/residency, had to start burning it up a year early because they were told no more than 14 days transition leave would be authorized, like it was a new MEDCOM standard. Same thing for PCS's. Last time I took transition leave in the late '90s they were happy to let me take my balance of 35 days and I regularly got 21-30 days when I PCSd.

I'd like to know how widespread this 14 day thing is, 'cause if it's location/command dependent, then I think I can get my dept chief to go to bat for us because it's not uniformly applied.

Off topic, but:

You guys are getting 30+ days transition leave reliably?

I'd like to know how widespread this 14 day thing is, 'cause if it's location/command dependent, then I think I can get my dept chief to go to bat for us because it's not uniformly applied.

It's completely command specific in the Navy

So, I'm coming up on 1 year left on my service commitment. I started active duty on July 1. Are my separation orders going to have me separate in July or will it be the end if June? Because if it is for July, I imagine the command not allowing me to separate until July 31. That would be a real pisser!

You should be able to separate on 1 July. I started as staff on 17 July and GTFO 1 July (i.e. a few days ago)! A colleague reported for resident orientation in late June and was likewise able to separate on 1 June. PERS and the detailers are under the impression that you are obligated until the end of the month, but the orders simply state the month- exact date is between you and your department head.