September 12, 2014 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanoserol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is taking MCAT on this day?

Members don't see this ad.

I checked before the last reschedule deadline and they were all booked. I hope they do open up. I was thinking to sign up again too (and cancel if my score doesn't suck), but if not in California then maybe in a nearby state.
a friend told me about some guy who registered for a MCAT in Hawaii so he could take a week vacation there after taking it lol (his parents paid for everything)...

if only i was rich...

Reactions: 1 users
dang i wished you had taken a screenshot of what dates are open. could we make accounts to just look at what dates are available lol?
i was also gonna take it on the 12th and cancel my January MCAT (if i'm even able to get one) if I score 30+. i don't have very high hopes lol.

I don't know what area you're in geographically, but there were TONS of open seats in basically all of the January test dates when I looked. I don't know why: the others were chock full, but January had seats a-plenty. I'd be very surprised if you didn't get 30+, look at your scores! We got similar scores on the GS stuff if I recall correctly, right? The 31 I got was a fluke, the 35 was much more on par; I think you'll do well on AAMC-8 tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in UCSD area which is a pre-med haven if you don't know our rep
:(

I still think you'll be fine for a January date: I didn't note any particular areas, but when I pulled open the drop-down list, it was huuuuge compared to all the dates in 2014; it looked like pretty much all the states were still available. Besides, you might not have to reschedule! Take AAMC-8 tomorrow like you planned and see what happens. If it doesn't go well, you can join me in smoking a cigar and and downing a few drinks, which is how I'm spending my "I'm rescheduling" evening :laugh:

I'm on the MCAT Registration System thing right now, and can't locate California anywhere! Does that mean the whole state is full?? For all the dates??

!!!!

Yes! I see the same thing! @Oh_Gee get on there and check it out: the only test dates available in California are for Sept 12th! Go to the AAMC site, log in, and under your registration date there with be a hyperlink that says "How to Reschedule", click on it and you can see all the available seats...

:eek:

!!!!

Yes! I see the same thing! @Oh_Gee get on there and check it out: the only test dates available in California are for Sept 12th! Go to the AAMC site, log in, and under your registration date there with be a hyperlink that says "How to Reschedule", click on it and you can see all the available seats...

:eek:
just finished AAMC 8 and got 10/10/9....

just finished AAMC 8 and got 10/10/9....

:( sorry to hear that - I did a lot better on AAMC-9 after bombing #8, maybe your scores will be similar? What do you feel like doing? Are you going to go ahead and take it on Friday and hope for the best, planning on getting another date in Jan if it doesn't go well?

:( sorry to hear that - I did a lot better on AAMC-9 after bombing #8, maybe your scores will be similar? What do you feel like doing? Are you going to go ahead and take it on Friday and hope for the best, planning on getting another date in Jan if it doesn't go well?
yeah pretty much

Yep,

My AAMC scores as follows:
AAMC 7 - 34
AAMC 8 - 32
AAMC 9 - 35
AAMC 10 - 34

Taking AAMC 11 tomorrow and aiming for a 34/35 on the real thing. (Most of my top schools have had 33-35 averages in the past)

After reading the August/July threads, it looks like the majority of people scored below their average by about 1-2 points. I'm hoping I score either a 34/35, but I don't feel 100% prepared with my current scores. So one hand, I want to postpone my test date and continue to study. On the other hand, there's no god damn way I'll actually enjoy life (and I probably wouldn't even study effectively) if I decide to study while taking classes, research, volunteering, and trying to chill with friends.

So...I'm just going to take it September 12th and hope for the best.

anyone else freaking the f*** out yet?
if you're not , go read the threads for the September MCAT's that have just happened

Last edited:
I am definitely freaking out! Just trying to keep calm until test day. Going to take AAMC 11 tomorrow morning. I'll do some verbal and light review before the test, but nothing more! I'm just hoping the MCAT gods are lenient on Friday and won't kick my ass with verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am definitely freaking out! Just trying to keep calm until test day. Going to take AAMC 11 tomorrow morning. I'll do some verbal and light review before the test, but nothing more! I'm just hoping the MCAT gods are lenient on Friday and won't kick my ass with verbal.
the old ones and the 2015's

I am not amused with my mcat scores, I've taken every AAMC and all the TBRs. I'm basically everywhere and I see my biggest mistakes are definitely stupid ones (bad math, didn't read etc).

I peaked at 36 for AAMC8 and then I averaged 33 until 11, when I crashed down to 31. Basically I'm hoping for a miracle at this point. I'm trying to figure out a good way to make sure I don't do something really stupid, because I know all this material! I just miss things here and there that lead me to the wrong answer. It sucks.

I am sort of freaking out! It is very important I do well on this exam because I got a 23 on my last one. I am hoping for AT LEAST a 5 point improvement but I've only been studying for a month. On my first MCAT, I didn't study at all, literally did not open one book (I was full of myself).

Anyways, I hope my Verbal increases because I have been practicing that A LOT. My last Verbal was a 8, but I am hoping to increase to at least a 10/11, a 12 would be fantastic. All my practice exams in TPRH and EK 101 have been putting me in the 10-12 range, with most AAMC practices being at 11.

I have also been practicing my Physical Science. My Chemistry is light years stronger than my Physics, so I hope we get a lot of Chemistry! I am just hoping for at least a 2 point improvement on that. I got a 6 last time, have read my way through all of the chemistry EK stuff, been doing TPR passages + AAMC tests, so I am hoping for at least an 8 (but don't think I'll be that lucky, physics is REALLY weak).

For Biology, I scored a 9 by some miracle last time but I think that's owed to the fact that I'd just gotten out of an intense Anatomy course I was studying for all the time, and that there were 4 Organic passages on my MCAT (fat curve, I'm sure).

My Organic is pretty weak, so I hope we don't have much but my guess is the test will be SATURATED with Ochem, I see a trend that as we get closer to the new MCAT, they seem to be putting a lot more Ochem on there. Other than that, I've gone through most of the EK Biology chapters, and have been getting a 10-12 on those so hopefully I will see at least a 8/9 on that.

Currently my predictions for my performance are:

(Optimistically) VR - 12, BS - 9, PS - 8. 29 Total.
(Pessimistic) VR - 9, BS - 7, PS - 6. 22 Total.

I'll post what I think after the exam. Good luck everyone! Go out to dinner tonight, watch a good movie, it is in God's hands now!

everyone make a motivational poem/speech/rap (a la Braveheart) before they go to sleep

we can either JUST read them or also analyze the **** out of them

Holy crap. The other threads were right, bio was nonsense. And so much stuff about individual amino acids? I thought we didn't have to know that...

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished about an hour ago, and I don't think I did well.

But here are my reactions:

VR - HARD. The passages were long, and even though I finished with 7 minutes to go, they were really confusing. I'm predicting a 8.
BS - HARD! Ok, it wasn't Orgo heavy (and I thought the orgo stuff was pretty easy!), but the Bio killed me. It was all experimental and all pretty difficult, so I'm predicting a 7.
PS - Very chemistry heavy, but I felt confident in at least 30-35 of my answers. I'd give it a 8.

So based on my feelings post exam, I'm expecting a dismal 23, which is exactly what I got one month ago. FML!

Physics - I thought the free standing were hard then usual . Some passages were decent . And some
Were crazy hard

Verbal- Ummmm. Yeah. Not the strongest ok verbal to began with. Hoping for a miracle ✌️

Bio- Very experimental .

:cat::bored::confused:Felt like it could've been harder...weirdly...

PS: pretty basic concepts and mostly gen chem which I love. Nothing too obscure for calculations and just overall broad, shallow knowledge.

VR: fairly easy, maybe one or two questions (the most boring to read passages of course) were difficult to get a true answer. Expecting a severe curve on it which kinda sucks

BS: so very experimental. One passage was standout in its difficulty. Very specific knowledge of obscure facts and even biochem (wtf...this is why I'm not taking the 2015 version), otherwise passages covered very simple, generic mcat material for bio. Orgo wasn't even a real factor, just a few short problems.

Kinda just expected it to be way more difficult in terms of random concepts and applying info from passages. Hoping this just means I did well and not that I was oblivious to the tricky stuff.

Post-test Thoughts:

I'm extremely disappointed in the test-writers for this particular exam. I felt as though there was not that much complex logic/reasoning that went into the questions to separate the 13,14,15 scores from the 10,11,12 scores. Instead, there were ridiculously easy questions balanced by ridiculously obscure questions (I'm looking at you, structures of certain biological compounds which I was instructed not to memorize -_-). I'm disappointed that my score will most likely be poor due to not having certain random bull**** memorized.

Anyways, overall I felt decent about the test and I expect an extremely harsh curve because besides the obscure memorization questions, I felt that this test had easy sections overall.

PS: I actually ran out of time and didn't perform 2-3 calculations, so I just looked at them quickly and gave my best mental-math guess (I was actually right about 1 of them, not sure about the other 2 because I don't remember what they were). Also, there are really simple concepts that I just simply forgot...and it irritated me so much. I knew the answers to these questions in the past, but I'd just forgotten them while taking the test. I should have reviewed everything more comprehensively. I believe I noticed maybe 2-3 tricky questions, but otherwise the test seemed straightforward. A few questions were somewhat vague, but there was nothing ridiculously hard.
If I made no silly mistakes and guessed correctly with my mental math, I'm expecting a 13. In reality (I always make mistakes on practice tests, and they ranged from 11-13): 11-13.

VR: The first passage was simple for me and I felt confident about all of my answers, which gave me a huge boost that powered me through the rest of the test. Unfortunately, in one passage in particular I just couldn't grasp the exact nuances of the main ideas of the arguments, so I made my best guesses. Many questions could be reduced down to ~2 choices and required a good understanding of the arguments to answer correctly, so this section is definitely a toss-up. I have no idea how I performed, but if I had to make a guess Id say: 10. (My practice scores ranged from 9-11)

BS: Now, this section was actually ******ed. It's not that the questions themselves were difficult; it's that some questions required obscure knowledge and rote memorization. Two questions in particular required memorization of biological structures. Sure, the AAMC guidelines hint at knowledge of the particular structures in question, but nowhere does it say memorization of them is required. They must've either been experimental questions; if not, fire whoever wrote this section LOL. I would say in 1-2 passages, I was able to answer most of the questions without fully understanding the passage content. However, I might've been fooled by the questions and simply done poorly. The experiments that were set up were most similar to AAMC 11 although there were passages that resembled passages from other previous AAMCs.

Also, if I recall correctly, there was 1 ochem discrete that was exactly the same as a previous AAMC. Hopefully I didn't screw up and read the question incorrectly <_<.

Overall, I'm expecting a 10-11 in biology (My practice tests ranged from 10-13).

My AAMC average was a 33, but I was really hoping for a 35 (Which I'd scored twice on practice tests). After this test, I'm doubting the possibility of a 35, but a 33 is still in the ballpark. Ideally, I'd get a 13-11-11 distribution; but more realistically, I'll probably get something like a 12-10-10.

i guess i can't say that test was harder than any practice test i've taken but damn....
PS/VR was kinda hard for me
there were a few guesses on BS

Aamc avg:27

My thoughts...

PS: g chem heavy. This section had a lot of my weaknesses so I was not happy with that. Had to guess on a couple calculations because time was running out. I really should have reviewed fundamentals instead of focusing on just complex topics. Some passages were really confusing. Idk what to feel

VR: hard. Long passages unlike anything any test prep has to offer. Hoping for a miracle. The passages were boring to me and could not figure out what the author was communicating. This is always my weakest area.

BS: little Ochem which is good. However it was still quite difficult. Experimental heavy and Very specific some of it is like WTF! Although there were couple here and there that we're no brainers.

Not feeling good at all Fell below my Aamc average for sure. I feel guilty that I'm not studying right now.

POST-TEST THOUGHTS:

PS -
Ran super close on time as usual. Overall, not THAT bad, but some of the hardest questions I've ever seen were on this test. The easy questions were very easy and the hard questions were very hard. Calculations and discrete questions were harder than I expected.
Practice Score Range: 12 - 14.
Predicted Score: 14 with lenient curve, expecting 13

VR - Not sure if this was just me freaking out during this test, but these passages were very confusing and vague. The rhetoric also was a lot harder to follow, even some of the Natural Sciences/Technology passages which are supposed to be relatively easier to at least understand, if not apply argumentation to questions. I have felt like crap after many AAMC practice tests, but ended up scoring just fine so I am hoping hoping hoping that I did not actually f*** up this time.
Practice Score Range: 9 - 11
Predicted Score: 10, hopefully

BS - By far the hardest BS section I have ever encountered. The experimental layout and background information provided in the passages were extremely convoluted for 2-3 passages and required a lot of "creative" thinking. I didn't even get to answer one question for this section and I usually end with about 20 minutes to spare. I know I missed 3 questions already, but I'm still praying that I got everything else right.
Practice Score Range: 12 - 14
Predicted Score: 14 (though with less hope than PS), expecting 13

OVERALL: Hoping for decent curve and will be very very very very very satisfied with 37 (14/10/13) and I really hope I can at least pull a 34 (13/8/13).

34 is on the very lowest end of my score range and 37 is extremely consistent with my AAMC averages. Just hoping that Oct 15 will be a lucky day.

Best of luck everybody! Reconvene in a month! :arghh:

****** that test was effed.

PS - Can't even remember but felt like a lot of under covered topics.

VR - The usual

BS - Lots of background information needed to answer experimental questions

AAMC Average: 11/8/11

after reading this, i think i messed up reeeeeaaal bad cause i though BS was easy

i was so jealous of the other day's MCAT where people said they enjoyed reading their VR passages

Did you do worse on AAMC 11 BS compared to the other ones? I got by far my worst score on AAMC 11 BS.

Message me if you want a full breakdown of my AAMC practice tests. I don't feel like transferring from the format I have set up already.
The offer goes out to anybody else too, that is, if you want a Word doc detailing all my practice test info to compare to.

Did you do worse on AAMC 11 BS compared to the other ones? I got by far my worst score on AAMC 11 BS.
Don't take AAMC 11 BS to be an absolute judge of your performance. I know everyone says that it is most representative of the current test (which is TRUE) but I made a 10 on my AAMC 11 BS the weekend before my exam (1 less question would've dropped to a 9) but managed to get a 12 on actual exam.

The important part is to fully go into MCAT expecting research analysis and experiment-based passages. A lot of people here are saying that obscure, random, trivia information came on the test which I would say should NOT be unexpected. The MCAT has evolved to a point where discretes are no longer freebies and you almost certainly need minutiae to score higher.

Do you guys think the real mcat curve on today's will be more generous than Aamc 11. I know there's no way to tell but what are your guys thoughts ? I really hope so I got screwed in certain parts especially verbal

I wrote for a second time today. Originally scored a 27 (7PS, 11 VR, 9BS) on 6/21/14. I was ecstatic over my VR score, satisfied (kinda) with my BS, but I was bothered by my PS. I know a 7 is a cutoff for many schools and I just wanted to see a higher score in that section. My AAMC average was 29 (9PS, 10 VR, 10BS). I knew I could raise that PS a point or two and hopefully my BS.

PS: I was pleased with my performance. I thought the questions weren't too convoluted. I read another user say that they thought that the hard questions were very hard; I have to agree. I honestly felt that progressing through the PS section that I was pretty on top of my game. I didn't do perfect, but feel better than last time.

VR: Verbal was rough today. Definitely felt that the passages were long, author opinions were extremely vague... Verbal always seems difficult, though. I thought it was a long, hard walk today. Still feeling pretty down about my performance here, but I felt the same way after my last test.

BS: I feel I am pretty good at this section--NOT today. Those passages were extremely heavy in molecular bio and biochemistry. Experiment-based passages were the majority and harder than AAMC #11. By a long shot. I also saw someone mention that the BS section today basically required straight memorization of structures...can confirm. Felt really poorly after finishing this section, hoping for the best.

After my initial start of feeling good, the test kind of went downhill from there. I'm hoping that some of these curves will be lenient!

Also...SO glad I'm not taking the 2015 MCAT. Not only are the passages long, but that **** is boring.

I wrote for a second time today. Originally scored a 27 (7PS, 11 VR, 9BS) on 6/21/14. I was ecstatic over my VR score, satisfied (kinda) with my BS, but I was bothered by my PS. I know a 7 is a cutoff for many schools and I just wanted to see a higher score in that section. My AAMC average was 29 (9PS, 10 VR, 10BS). I knew I could raise that PS a point or two and hopefully my BS.

PS: I was pleased with my performance. I thought the questions weren't too convoluted. I read another user say that they thought that the hard questions were very hard; I have to agree. I honestly felt that progressing through the PS section that I was pretty on top of my game. I didn't do perfect, but feel better than last time.

VR: Verbal was rough today. Definitely felt that the passages were long, author opinions were extremely vague... Verbal always seems difficult, though. I thought it was a long, hard walk today. Still feeling pretty down about my performance here, but I felt the same way after my last test.

BS: I feel I am pretty good at this section--NOT today. Those passages were extremely heavy in molecular bio and biochemistry. Experiment-based passages were the majority and harder than AAMC #11. By a long shot. I also saw someone mention that the BS section today basically required straight memorization of structures...can confirm. Felt really poorly after finishing this section, hoping for the best.

After my initial start of feeling good, the test kind of went downhill from there. I'm hoping that some of these curves will be lenient!

Also...SO glad I'm not taking the 2015 MCAT. Not only are the passages long, but that **** is boring.
But if I use TBR, I'll be able to answer those random facts, right? Lol.

Yeah I took the real one yesterday. It was really tough. I studied my butt off but in much less time than I would've wanted (due to certain issues). So although it didn't go as well as I would've liked, it was good to experience test day at the least...looking forward to crushing it on the 12th with all of you!!
hey did you have to wait until you could register again? i came back to my pc after the test(submitted my score) and saw that on the registration website, my original registration is there. i was planning on signing up for a january date just in case. how long do i have to wait until i can sign up again? or do i make another account?

hey did you have to wait until you could register again? i came back to my pc after the test(submitted my score) and saw that on the registration website, my original registration is there. i was planning on signing up for a january date just in case. how long do i have to wait until i can sign up again? or do i make another account?

their website mentions 2 days (not business days so for you it'd be Sunday)