September 12, 2014 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanoserol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who is taking MCAT on this day?

Members don't see this ad.

aaaaah i can't stop thinking about those PS problems...
they weren't at all impossible compared to TBR and AAMC FL's....
why didn't i try harder...

Don't beat yourself up! I also likely didn't do so hot on the PS section but staying optimistic on the other two sections. I honestly can't even remember a single question from the PS so maybe that's why I'm not dwelling on the section!

Was I the only one that kinda liked how the VR was? It was nothing unusual, and luckily they didn't throw that much dense, abstract text.

And for the BS. The stuff we had to know, did we really have to memorize down to that level? I'm looking online right now for the exact type of knowledge that was on our test and it does not show a lot of MCAT prep. I'm happy about how hard I worked for the test overall, but I feel like all of this was such a curveball that no amount of studying could have prepared me for. It seriously read like a TBR test, and I probably failed it just the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree with you on the BS. Either you knew how to do it or you didn't. I had to rely heavily on general knowledge from my prerequisite coursework and not so much on my studies specifically for the MCAT. I'm glad I took biochemistry now from the amount that popped up as well.

Verbal didn't seem too tricky but it was a good bit different than my EK 101 passages.

Reactions: 1 user
I totally agree with you on the BS. Either you knew how to do it or you didn't. I had to rely heavily on general knowledge from my prerequisite coursework and not so much on my studies specifically for the MCAT. I'm glad I took biochemistry now from the amount that popped up as well.

Verbal didn't seem too tricky but it was a good bit different than my EK 101 passages.
did we have different tests? i only remember molecular/cell biology with a smidgen of physiology

My general failing is on the exact, simple physiology concepts that they actually decided to test on. I just never bothered, not then and especially not for this test.

I guess I'm still torn on one thing... did we really, really need to know this? It really feels like they took something that nobody prepares for and that we were led to believe we didn't need to know and put it on the test. Is it hidden somewhere in their official outlines? Or did they literally take questions that weren't meant to be on the test and gave it to us? I'm hoping the grading curve represents it, at least...

I am going nuts! What do you guys think the curve will be like? Larger than usual or lower than usual?

My guess is it'll be pretty bad for PS, but I'm hoping lenient for VR and have to be pretty high for BS (BS was nuts!).

Idk if it's just me, but like Verbal is SO nuts.

man i'm getting nervous. there aren't any spaces in california available for this MCAT for any date so far. the closest one is 10/21 and no joy. how close to the test date do people usually start dropping it?

I don't really remember much about the exam. I did feel like VR was very difficult, but I'm generally weak on that. BS felt very rote memorization based and experimental as you all stated. I expected the experimental stuff but not the memorization stuff. PS i cannot remember anything about except that I had to guess on 2 questions at the very end.

I am going nuts! What do you guys think the curve will be like? Larger than usual or lower than usual?

My guess is it'll be pretty bad for PS, but I'm hoping lenient for VR and have to be pretty high for BS (BS was nuts!).

Idk if it's just me, but like Verbal is SO nuts.

Average curve for PS, maybe 1 point more lenient if we're lucky.
Average curve for verbal, even though I felt like this was the hardest verbal ever. Verbal is probably the hardest to gauge.
Lenient curve for BS. By far the hardest BS yet.

I think the curve will be very similar to the AAMC 11 curve, or at least I hope so.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys think those rote memorization questions will be counted in the score

How is everybody doing 1 week after the test? I'm still have some bad anxiety when I think about verbal. :(
What is everybody doing to relax? I'm on the quarter system and don't start school for 2 more weeks. Need something to keep my mind off things.

How is everybody doing 1 week after the test? I'm still have some bad anxiety when I think about verbal. :(
What is everybody doing to relax? I'm on the quarter system and don't start school for 2 more weeks. Need something to keep my mind off things.

Yeah sometimes when I think of the Verbal Section when I'm driving home from school, my heart stops a bit. I'm pretty much getting worse with my anxiety as the days go on. Like I have 0 gauge on how I could've done on the Verbal. Back in May I thought I KILLED IT and I got an 8. This time, I was getting 10-12 on my practice exams, but when it came to test day I had a mental breakdown in the middle of my verbal and I pulled myself together and tried to finish but I'm afraid I might've gotten a 6 :(

And I'm on semester system, so I'm actually preparing for Exams right now...studying never stops! (And hopefully never will, fingers crossed I get into Medical School this cycle and forget about this horrid exam!)

This is like the deadest MCAT thread ever. I'm glad everyone is so well adjusted and as a result can preserve their sanity until scores come out because I am bat **** crazy.

I'm pretty disturbed by the difficulty of this exam, I put 3+ months in and took all AAMC practice with solid scores, this real one for some reason was completely over my head. I literally think I bombed it.

I'm nervous about my scores as well. However I have plenty of work to do with my full time job and working out, xbox and beer to keep me busy until the scores are released.

I am kinda in a dilemma now because my medical schools application are due three days, but I still don't know my mcat scores.
This is a retake from a 28 (8/7/13) on July 12, 2014 examination.
I hope I can break into at least the 30 range with a 9 VR to become competitive in this cycle. Hoping for (10/9/13)

Id just finished my application but kinda reluctant to submit it because I am afraid that the scores of this MCAT may be lower.

What are your thoughts?

POST MCAT Thoughts

PS: Intiially went okay until I reached a passage that took me ridicuously lots of time to understand before answering. At the end, I finished the questions without passage first then went back with remaining time to the PS passage questions. Still Finished on time though.
VR: Passage were super long........
BS: From study biology as my major, some of these questions were related to what I studied the previous academic term. Therefore with previous experience, I was comfortable with answering these types of question. However, there were a few that caught me off guard.

I am kinda in a dilemma now because my medical schools application are due three days, but I still don't know my mcat scores.
This is a retake from a 28 (8/7/13) on July 12, 2014 examination.
I hope I can break into at least the 30 range with a 9 VR to become competitive in this cycle. Hoping for (10/9/13)

Id just finished my application but kinda reluctant to submit it because I am afraid that the scores of this MCAT may be lower.

What are your thoughts?

POST MCAT Thoughts

PS: Intiially went okay until I reached a passage that took me ridicuously lots of time to understand before answering. At the end, I finished the questions without passage first then went back with remaining time to the PS passage questions. Still Finished on time though.
VR: Passage were super long........
BS: From study biology as my major, some of these questions were related to what I studied the previous academic term. Therefore with previous experience, I was comfortable with answering these types of question. However, there were a few that caught me off guard.

What did you think of Verbal? I thought some of the passages were so convoluted. I really wish I'd had some experience with business/econ type passages beforehand, but I never came across that in my EK review. And even with TPR, they were boring but always about government. I felt underprepared.

What did you think of Verbal? I thought some of the passages were so convoluted. I really wish I'd had some experience with business/econ type passages beforehand, but I never came across that in my EK review. And even with TPR, they were boring but always about government. I felt underprepared.
i thought i saw some econ/business in EK101

Verbal: did anyone feel like there were 2 tough passages with really obscure questions? -prose vs verse, and african-american literature
Bio: Two passages had data that was really hard to interpret, and I have no clue how I answered the questions. -one was about aminoglycosides/hearing loss . I can't even remember the other one.

Anyone else feel like those were the only difficulties?
Maybe people could chime in and vaguely list their passage topics by section?
i felt like all of VR was impossible to do in that amount of time compared to AAMC FL's
for bio,i remember those passages because i skipped them and saved for last. when i re read them, i realized they were asking simple questions that were obscured by jargon. taking upper division bio classes really helped me out. i hope i don't jinx myself for saying this

i felt like all of VR was impossible to do in that amount of time compared to AAMC FL's
for bio,i remember those passages because i skipped them and saved for last. when i re read them, i realized they were asking simple questions that were obscured by jargon. taking upper division bio classes really helped me out. i hope i don't jinx myself for saying this

I Don't remember much about Bio except that I thought the Organic passage was easy, but the bio were more challenging than the first time I took it.

The verbal was totally different because I was thrown off by the philosophy/psychology passage and econ passage.

Verbal: did anyone feel like there were 2 tough passages with really obscure questions? -prose vs verse, and african-american literature
Bio: Two passages had data that was really hard to interpret, and I have no clue how I answered the questions. -one was about aminoglycosides/hearing loss . I can't even remember the other one.

Anyone else feel like those were the only difficulties?
Maybe people could chime in and vaguely list their passage topics by section?

The last question on the prose vs verse passage was really obscure, hopefully I guessed right on that. I lost focus during the camera passage (i believe this was the econ). I finished that verbal section feeling the best (this was my 3rd re-write for verbal) so far. Hopefully I hit a 10.

BS- The experiments looked very confusing, but once I broke the questions down it was easy to come up with the right answer. I was really happy that I took a human anatomy class for one discrete, I was surprised specific knowledge from that was on there. I'm expecting a 12-13.

PS- I spent a lot of time through the first 2-3 passages checking my answers because I couldn't believe how simple the questions were. I wish I didn't do that because I spent a lot of time trying to understand a graph in one of the physics passages, leaving me little time with one of the g-chem passages. I'm expecting a 12-14

The last question on the prose vs verse passage was really obscure, hopefully I guessed right on that. I lost focus during the camera passage (i believe this was the econ). I finished that verbal section feeling the best (this was my 3rd re-write for verbal) so far. Hopefully I hit a 10.

BS- The experiments looked very confusing, but once I broke the questions down it was easy to come up with the right answer. I was really happy that I took a human anatomy class for one discrete, I was surprised specific knowledge from that was on there. I'm expecting a 12-13.

PS- I spent a lot of time through the first 2-3 passages checking my answers because I couldn't believe how simple the questions were. I wish I didn't do that because I spent a lot of time trying to understand a graph in one of the physics passages, leaving me little time with one of the g-chem passages. I'm expecting a 12-14

lol omg that discrete. i took one look at it and laughed and then guessed cause there's no way that info was in my brain

the PS def got harder as you went through it

Looks like Sept 6 thread doesn't fare very well for us. Both exams were pretty similar (Moderately difficult VR, Easyish PS, and Hard BS). From what I see, no curve on Verbal or Biology that holds any significance, but high PS scores.

So basically, as of right now, I think I'm ****ed.

Looks like Sept 6 thread doesn't fare very well for us. Both exams were pretty similar (Moderately difficult VR, Easyish PS, and Hard BS). From what I see, no curve on Verbal or Biology that holds any significance, but high PS scores.

So basically, as of right now, I think I'm ******.
dat verbal...

At this point, I just can't care about my score. I have too many other things going on and don't want it to ruin my work schedule right now, though I can't say the same in a week...

Holy crap. The other threads were right, bio was nonsense. And so much stuff about individual amino acids? I thought we didn't have to know that...
when i saw those, i thought "thank jesus organic chemistry and structural biochemistry made me memorize them all"

At this point, I just can't care about my score. I have too many other things going on and don't want it to ruin my work schedule right now, though I can't say the same in a week...
everything is going wrong for me this week. i got sick (headache,chills so far) so i can't go to work. i just dread how much work is going to pile up.
lol anyone have medication suggestions please?

Just got an email about the trial section. 66% correct on biochem and physics stuff for the most part. And these are supposed to be my best subjects. I honestly don't know if I could retake when they administer the 2015 version...the studying would be impossible/dreadful. It's not that bad right now though

47% in psych here lol. i guessed for the most part but i did read the passages to see if i could figure out the answer just from that

I am ****ting bricks! I took the MCAT exactly one year ago and got a 25....was very disappointed. Studied hard for a while, but when the exam rolled around I found Verbal to be insanely difficult. And I think there won't be a good curve on that, as there is rarely a good curve on verbal...expecting a 8, but that would shoot my score.

Just really bummed we didn't have a good verbal. I think it's unfair how some MCAT's seem easier than others because I really do not believe the curve equalizes them.