Servicemember looking to become a Dr.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhorn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am currently an 11B (Enlisted Infantry,Army) I am stationed at Fort Campbell,KY and Im part of the 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" I am currently in Afghanistan.I am 21. I have about 16 months left in the army (Im not going to re-enlist). I will be getting on sometime around in July or August of 2015.. I plan on spending the rest of my time, when I get back to the states, to research what university to look for and exactly what specialty to look for.

I want to become a Dr. and earn my MD when I get out.. I know that I will need to do more research on exactly what college/university I will want to go to. I never have been to college (I left for the Army 3 weeks after I graduated High School.) But As far as Medical school, and the different medical specialties, I really don't know where to look or what specialty I will want to do.. Seeing how I am unfamiliar with exactly what type of doctor I want to become I was hoping I could be pointed in the direction of what I should be researching. I have read the medical school is often expensive, and I read a topic here on about what state has pretty cheap medical schools.. From what I read it was Texas, and it costs on avg 10k a year..

Also when I am looking for university's to choose what should I be looking for? Class size? In state vs Out of State acceptance, Specialties offered, how good are students placed in residency programs, cost, and whether the university offers scholar ships to deployed veterans? I don't really know, I am unfamiliar with the college process. If I went to a state university, with a medical university, and I went and got my degree say in Biology, would it be easier to get accepted in med school? Also what should I expect, while Im in undergraduate and graduate school.. What age can I expect to get my license to practice? How long would it take (I know its about 8 years) The specialty of Anesthesiology, and Radiology, have interested me, but I don't know exactly how that works.. Also what are high paying specialties? Plastic Surgery? I am really bad with my hands so I don't think being a surgeon would be something Id want. I also read that doctors work on avg 40 hours a week and 4 days a week with Wednesday the off day but then I was told they work up to 80 hours a week.

I believe I have around a 3.7 GPA from High school, also since its been about 3 years since I graduated Its been a long time since I have been from school, and My brain has been opened and jammed with Army TMs,FMs, numbers, and training that is absolutely useless in the medical field. So I feel pretty stupid right now, and I need to put the "School" brain back in my head.. Where can I go for that? And Also there is the MCAT (I forget the exact name of the test) to get into medical school? Should I start studying now? Sorry if Im asking really stupid questions, I feel like I need to have a meeting with a medical guidance counselor and have them tell me everything I want to know, and what I need to know.

Also from what I understand the GI Bill covers Instate tuition, not out of state, and would my chances of being accept be higher being a deployed veteran, or it wouldn't matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I am currently an 11B (Enlisted Infantry,Army) I am stationed at Fort Campbell,KY and Im part of the 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" I am currently in Afghanistan.I am 21. I have about 16 months left in the army (Im not going to re-enlist). I will be getting on sometime around in July or August of 2015.. I plan on spending the rest of my time, when I get back to the states, to research what university to look for and exactly what specialty to look for.

I want to become a Dr. and earn my MD when I get out.. I know that I will need to do more research on exactly what college/university I will want to go to. I never have been to college (I left for the Army 3 weeks after I graduated High School.) But As far as Medical school, and the different medical specialties, I really don't know where to look or what specialty I will want to do.. Seeing how I am unfamiliar with exactly what type of doctor I want to become I was hoping I could be pointed in the direction of what I should be researching. I have read the medical school is often expensive, and I read a topic here on about what state has pretty cheap medical schools.. From what I read it was Texas, and it costs on avg 10k a year..

Also when I am looking for university's to choose what should I be looking for? Class size? In state vs Out of State acceptance, Specialties offered, how good are students placed in residency programs, cost, and whether the university offers scholar ships to deployed veterans? I don't really know, I am unfamiliar with the college process. If I went to a state university, with a medical university, and I went and got my degree say in Biology, would it be easier to get accepted in med school? Also what should I expect, while Im in undergraduate and graduate school.. What age can I expect to get my license to practice? How long would it take (I know its about 8 years) The specialty of Anesthesiology, and Radiology, have interested me, but I don't know exactly how that works.. Also what are high paying specialties? Plastic Surgery? I am really bad with my hands so I don't think being a surgeon would be something Id want. I also read that doctors work on avg 40 hours a week and 4 days a week with Wednesday the off day but then I was told they work up to 80 hours a week.

I believe I have around a 3.7 GPA from High school, also since its been about 3 years since I graduated Its been a long time since I have been from school, and My brain has been opened and jammed with Army TMs,FMs, numbers, and training that is absolutely useless in the medical field. So I feel pretty stupid right now, and I need to put the "School" brain back in my head.. Where can I go for that? And Also there is the MCAT (I forget the exact name of the test) to get into medical school? Should I start studying now? Sorry if Im asking really stupid questions, I feel like I need to have a meeting with a medical guidance counselor and have them tell me everything I want to know, and what I need to know.

Also from what I understand the GI Bill covers Instate tuition, not out of state, and would my chances of being accept be higher being a deployed veteran, or it wouldn't matter?

Best advice... worry about college first and then think about medical school after you adjust to college. For full GI bill coverage you want an instate school of which you are resident. What kind of college depends on your personal preferences and where you get in, but should be a four year one, not a community college. What their medical school looks like doesn't really matter as you will probably not be going there for medical school and going there for college generally gives you minimal (if any) preference to get into their medical school. For more information about medical school applications and the MCAT, check out www.aamc.org .

Being a veteran is definitely a bonus, but if you can't get the grades or MCAT in college, then medical school won't happen. The GI Bill will also mostly be run about by that point in, so you'll have to take out loans or seek out another source of funding (military, etc.).

As far as work schedules, they vary depending on where you work, what kind of work you do, etc., but working only 40 hours a week for only 4 days is not a realistic expectation even as an attending and as a resident is even less so. Generally the higher paying specialties are usually accompanied by longer working hours (especially in residency), but that is not universal and is variable as well.

Thank you for your service. Don't waste your time looking for med schools yet. You need to get an undergrad degree done and some medical experience.

I want to become a Dr. and earn my MD when I get out.. I know that I will need to do more research on exactly what college/university I will want to go to. I never have been to college (I left for the Army 3 weeks after I graduated High School.) .

Don't worry about med schools yet or what specialty. Most med students don't decide that until after their first year unless they want to choose based on factors other than what they enjoy doing. Texas is a great state, but if you don't make it to med school or change your mind is that where you want to end up? Start by choosing your undergrad college.

All of those items are factors in choosing, but you need to get 3 years of undergrad done, have a decent GPA and good MCAT scores. One very important factor is choosing schools that accept students with grades like yours. I wasn't going to fit with what Harvard was looking for, so I didn't apply there. For the rest of the questions, do more online research, google that stuff. Too many questions for one post.

On the doctors working an average of 40 hours a week.... Never met a doctor who worked so little. Go with the up to 80 hours in residency. Private practice up to you, but always more than 40 except for a couple of specialties.

I believe I have around a 3.7 GPA from High school, also since its been about 3 years since I graduated Its been a long time since I have been from school, and My brain has been opened and jammed with Army TMs,FMs, numbers, and training that is absolutely useless in the medical field. So I feel pretty stupid right now, and I need to put the "School" brain back in my head.. Where can I go for that?

If you're worried, start with just a class or two when you get back instead of jumping in with a full load of classes.

History of deployment make you more likely to get into medical school? yes and no. All other factors being equal- grades, MCAT scores, medical experiences, then yes it might be a tie breaker.

Members don't see this ad :)

Best advice... worry about college first and then think about medical school after you adjust to college. For full GI bill coverage you want an instate school of which you are resident. What kind of college depends on your personal preferences and where you get in, but should be a four year one, not a community college. What their medical school looks like doesn't really matter as you will probably not be going there for medical school and going there for college generally gives you minimal (if any) preference to get into their medical school. For more information about medical school applications and the MCAT, check out www.aamc.org .

Being a veteran is definitely a bonus, but if you can't get the grades or MCAT in college, then medical school won't happen. The GI Bill will also mostly be run about by that point in, so you'll have to take out loans or seek out another source of funding (military, etc.).

As far as work schedules, they vary depending on where you work, what kind of work you do, etc., but working only 40 hours a week for only 4 days is not a realistic expectation even as an attending and as a resident is even less so. Generally the higher paying specialties are usually accompanied by longer working hours (especially in residency), but that is not universal and is variable as well.

Hooah! First, many thanks for your service to our country.

I am currently an 11B (Enlisted Infantry,Army) I am stationed at Fort Campbell,KY and Im part of the 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles" I am currently in Afghanistan.I am 21. I have about 16 months left in the army (Im not going to re-enlist). I will be getting on sometime around in July or August of 2015.. I plan on spending the rest of my time, when I get back to the states, to research what university to look for and exactly what specialty to look for.

Don't even think about specialites until you actually get into medical school.

Look for a school that has a good Biology program and a high success rate of getting its grads into medical school (or one that has a successful pre-professional program). I'll leave to others as to what UG schools and types you should look for. The UT is fine...especially UT Austin. I have friends on Faculty there.

Also when I am looking for university's to choose what should I be looking for? Class size? In state vs Out of State acceptance, Specialties offered, how good are students placed in residency programs, cost, and whether the university offers scholar ships to deployed veterans? I don't really know, I am unfamiliar with the college process.

Public medical schools tend to favor in-state residents. The UG is of less concern. No matter what you major in, just do well.

If I went to a state university, with a medical university, and I went and got my degree say in Biology, would it be easier to get accepted in med school? Also what should I expect, while Im in undergraduate and graduate school.

Don't expect to work banker's hours as a doctor. It's a profession, AND a calling not merely a job. Much like being a paratrooper.

What age can I expect to get my license to practice? How long would it take (I know its about 8 years) The specialty of Anesthesiology, and Radiology, have interested me, but I don't know exactly how that works.. Also what are high paying specialties? Plastic Surgery? I am really bad with my hands so I don't think being a surgeon would be something Id want. I also read that doctors work on avg 40 hours a week and 4 days a week with Wednesday the off day but then I was told they work up to 80 hours a week.

Don't worry about MCAT until your junior year. Do NOT take it until you are ready. All pre-professional programs have advisors who will answer yoru questions. This forum is a good resource as well.

And Also there is the MCAT (I forget the exact name of the test) to get into medical school? Should I start studying now? Sorry if Im asking really stupid questions, I feel like I need to have a meeting with a medical guidance counselor and have them tell me everything I want to know, and what I need to know.

Veterans are indeed preferred as applicants, given their maturity, dedication, teamworking abilities and thier demonstrated altruism.

Would my chances of being accept be higher being a deployed veteran, or it wouldn't matter?[/quote]

Here's some advice from a non-trad pre-med former 11B:

1. Go to university in the state that is your resident state (home of record). Use that in-state tuition to your advantage.
1a. Some states offer free tuition to those who have served on active duty. I believe Idaho is one. Oklahoma and Texas do the same, I believe. Consider moving to one of those states.
1b. If free tuition is not an option, consider joining the National Guard (not Reserves). The NG has state benefits over and above the Reserve benefits which is usually free tuition for Guard members among other benefits. You should still be able to get two years of stabilization (non-deployable). No guarantees beyond that, but with massive defense cuts and drawdowns, my personal opinion is that deployments are highly unlikely.
1c. Do all of this in an attempt to conserve your GI Bill benefits for med school. If you can, save all of your GI Bill for med school. If you must use, try to at least save some of it for med school.
1d. If you think that you will apply for (and receive) the HPSP, then ignore 1a-1c and use your GI Bill immediately.

2. Major in whatever the heck you want, just make sure you knock out the prereqs.
2a. Whatever you study, whether it's accounting or nuclear physics or philosophy, DO WELL. Doing well is not a couple of A's, a couple of B's, maybe the occasional C. It means that you work hard, study, do your work, attend class and get A's.
2b.

3. Start early with volunteering and shadowing - consistency and longevity is vital.
3a. Don't overwhelm yourself. Find a volunteer opportunity that you enjoy and find meaningful and do THAT on a weekly basis for all four years in university. If this is a clinical volunteering experience, perfect. If not, stick with it anyway.
3b. Find a clinical volunteer opportunity and do THAT also.
3c. The two of these together should not exceed 10 hours per week.
3d. If any of these volunteering activities begin to impact your grades, drop one. If that doesn't cut it, drop the other one. Focus on your grades.
3e. Use your summers to find shadowing opportunities. Aim for two different doctors in two different specialties for each summer.

4. Don't work unless you absolutely have to. If it comes down to student loans or a job, take the loans, but only take as much as you need. Financing spring break in Cancun with student loans is not a wise use of your funds.
4a. If you must work, consider the federal work-study jobs. They're usually super easy and nobody cares if you're doing schoolwork on the clock as long as you get the job done.

5. You may have trouble transitioning to a civilian puke's existence during your first semester or even year. Get help early. Talk to a counselor at school, the VA, the Legion, the VFW, or even one of the cadre at the ROTC program.
5a. Don't join ROTC.
5b. If you find yourself having issues now, postpone school by however long it takes. Make sure you are ready. Being downrange is a completely different world than being in a class full of freshman whose greatest challenge to that point in their lives is figuring out which fraternity/sorority to rush.

6. Get to know your instructors even if you know you'll never have them again. Don't waste their time, but get some face time with them. If it's an instructor you end up having again and they know (and like) you, it'll be that much better when it comes time to ask for letters of reference, referrals, etc.

7. Don't get married and don't knock anyone up. If you already are or already have...well...a lot of this is moot.

That's about it for now. Good luck on your journey.

P.S. My own personal pet peeve - don't be "that guy" who walks around with all his tabs and badges and other assorted Gucci gear on his hat/backpack/computer etc. Rakkasans bumper sticker on your car? OK, fine. His and hers jump wings on your backpack along with a patch? That's a no-go, fo-sho.

Here's some advice from a non-trad pre-med former 11B:

1.A If free tuition is not an option, consider joining the National Guard (not Reserves). The NG has state benefits over and above the Reserve benefits which is usually free tuition for Guard members among other benefits. You should still be able to get two years of stabilization (non-deployable). No guarantees beyond that, but with massive defense cuts and drawdowns, my personal opinion is that deployments are highly unlikely.

1.a I really don't want to join the NG due to the fact I don't know how they are (another discussion), but If I do join, I would be able to go to the undergraduate school free for 4 years? And still be able to stack my GI Bill? also would I need join immediately after I get out? Or I can (if they let me due to the drawdown) while Im in and still get the benefits? Im weary of going to the Recruitng Office seeing how pretty much everything they told me was a lie

1d. If you think that you will apply for (and receive) the HPSP, then ignore 1a-1c and use your GI Bill immediately.

1D. I have no idea what HPSP, and 1a-1c even is.

4A. If you must work, consider the federal work-study jobs. They're usually super easy and nobody cares if you're doing schoolwork on the clock as long as you get the job done.

4a. Federal as in you mean the NG? or something different?

5A.Don't join ROTC.

5a. I have no desire to join ROTC

6a.Get to know your instructors even if you know you'll never have them again. Don't waste their time, but get some face time with them. If it's an instructor you end up having again and they know (and like) you, it'll be that much better when it comes time to ask for letters of reference, referrals, etc.

6A. Would the be able to get referrals from the doctors that I've worked with at the clinic?

7a. Don't get married and don't knock anyone up. If you already are or already have...well...a lot of this is moot.
7A. Haha you don't need to tell me that.. I listened to my parents. Im still single and no kids

P.S. My own personal pet peeve - don't be "that guy" who walks around with all his tabs and badges and other assorted Gucci gear on his hat/backpack/computer etc. Rakkasans bumper sticker on your car? OK, fine. His and hers jump wings on your backpack along with a patch? That's a no-go, fo-sho.

Yeah those guys who do that in army already annoy me, I could never picture myself doing that.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Thanks for your service, Rhorn! Have a few friends in the 101st--some really great guys there.

Here's a few things that helped me when I got back into school:

1) You can either go instate where you're a resident or gain residency in the state in which you're hoping to attend college (generally easier if you're in the process of separating). You'll be able to use the full GI bill.

2) It was helpful to attend a college with a Veterans Affairs office to help navigate GI bill/transitioning to college... The folks there seemed to know everything and were always eager to help.

3) If you think you might want to practice within the military, look into HPSP. It's a scholarship program for medical students--free tuition and some stipend support in exchange for a few years of serving as a doctor in one of the military branches. There's also a Uniformed Service medical school that's tuition free if you find you'd like to be around like-minded folks while you're in medical school.

4) The VA near my college was really helpful when I needed experience shadowing doctors during undergrad. The docs were open to teaching me while I shadowed and helped me find other medical shadowing/volunteering.

Hope that helps! If you want to talk more, feel free to send me a PM. I'm always happy to help another vet :)

Im in Afghanistan to and am stressing the same thing. ETS can not come soon enough. HPSP is something that, unless you loved your time in the army, I would veer away from. for more info head over to the Military medicine forums and it will break down why HPSP is dumb. I hate the army, and one thing that a former military doc told me about USHUS, HPSP, and FAP, the three military options for med school is this. If you could, how much money would you pay to avoid the military for those four years. Well, much more then 4 years of med school tuitions and COL I assure you. One thing that I am planning on doing is moving to texas. Texas tuition is awesomely cheap and will make for some small loans. Also, whatever state you plan on moving to, you should change your state of legal residence to. Just go to S1 and ask to change state of Legal Residence. Legal Residence is much different from HOR. HOR is where you can from, where as Legal Residence is looked at as where you will be moving to. If you have 12 months of LES stating a Legal Residence of the state you plan on moving to, it can help greatly with in state tuition waivers. Well, this is how it is with Texas, not sure of other states.

Of course, If you loved the army and would love a POG job, look into USHUS. I know many DOCs who went though ushus and loved their experience there, although they are mega hooah now so idnt know .

If you have any questions you can PM me. I may not know everything, but after 2 years of reseach I know a good deal. Good luck man, and remember

The louder you scream, the faster i come- DOC

I have a question for the OP: why do you feel the need to become a doctor? You said you aren't sure what specialty you want to go into yet but it sounds like you're already determined to go for it.

If your reason is you just want to help people, why not become a nurse or PA?

I was 11B and am a combat veteran; Veteran status helps but it's no shoe in. You still need the MCAT/GPA to get in; and since as a veteran if you live smart + GI Bill you should always have time to study and be at top of the class. I recommend staying in your state of residency, don't think you can come to Texas and go to school and apply as an in-state applicant because that wont work. To qualify you need to have lived in Texas 3 years prior to graduating high school or have 1 year+ of a paying job while not attending school. Each Texas state funded school is 85%+ in state students.

Thats not true at all. Sounds like someone doesnt want people moving to texas.....lol. look up Texas SB 297 it basically waives the whole living in texas thing for veterans.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct SB297 does waive the residency requirement for veterans as well as spouses.

Navy doc here. You are putting too much on your plate. There is so much in life that you just can't predict. It is good to have a long-term plan...but expect life to not work out according to that plan.

You need to get into a strong pre-med program that has a reputation for developing future med schools. I went to a strong Biology major program...with tons of friends who were also Pre-med. I would have never gotten into medical school if it wasn't for my friends and staff in undergrad. I came from a military family so I was completely clueless about the process.

Once in undergrad...you need to rock it. You need to get POC's of those who have already too the courses to give you some guidance. If you have the opportunity I would strongly recommend being a tutor for your program. If you can teach it well...you know the concepts well...and will likely rock the MCAT. Do well on the MCAT and do some rotations on the side. If you are able to do research...awesome. Not only will that help for undergrad but if you get a publication it could help you for residency and fellowship entrance...especially if you choose military medicine because it gives points for publications.

Focus on doing the right things in undergrad and you will very likely get into medical school. It is way too early to determine where you will go to medical school and what you will specialize in. Find out what you need to do in undergrad and excel.

I just want to point out that he doesn't need to worry about returning to his home state unless he wants to. There are many states, not just TX, that have laws providing a residency exemption to veterans allowing them to claim in-state tuition. There is also a federal bill being passed through congress to mandate in-state tuition in public higher education institutions. Here is a list to help you:

http://www.studentveterans.org/what-we-do/in-state-tuition.html

Since you have 16 months left of your enlistment, try and take classes with colleges that have agreements with your post. I was fortunate enough to have a campus on my base, and they were very flexible when it came to training and my military commitments. Don't wait until you separate to start pursuing med school, unless of course taking classes would be too much for you. Hope I helped a little. =]

Rhorn,
I was in your shoes 13 months ago and I'm currently in my second semester as a Freshman. KILLING IT!

My recommendation is to do backwards planning. Where do you see yourself in 10 yrs and plan, understanding that many factors will change.

For example, I changed my state of residency to CA two weeks before getting out with FINANCE. Thanks to that move I had my last LES to show I was a resident and received in-state tuition from my community college.

Second, I was denied financial aid due to my last tax and income statement. My wife and I wrote an APPEAL FOR CIRCUMSTANCES, and by the end of the semester both received full financial aid (including PELL Grants).

We decided to attend school full time without working. So we sold a car, moved to a one bedroom apartment near the school and that's our focus.

Also, have your "I LOVE ME BOOK" ready so you can have all the documents organized for financial aid, GI BILL application, scholarships and the VA (apply for benefits before getting out).

If you receive 20% or more of disability you can apply for the VOC REHAB program six months before your GI BILL ends and receive full-tuition until completing your medical school.

Finally, you are in luck, congress passed a law last summer allowing veterans to attend out of state public institutions with in state rates, starting Fall 2015.

I put the same effort to the transition as the 14 yrs and 9 deployments while I was in the military. For me this is a no-fail mission and I'm serious about it. I disagree with most, and You should research the end goal while working towards it.

Good luck in your future endeavors and stay safe.

RLTW!