SGU c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yelenaMV

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting this thread bc I haven’t seen one yet! I just had my interview, I think it went well🤞Who else applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Me!! I interviewed 8/11 and am still waiting for a response. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Me!! I interviewed 8/11 and am still waiting for a response. Good luck!
Great! My interviewer said the committee supposed to meet next week, so hopefully after that we will hear something. 🤞

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying! Won't be able to submit until closer to the vmcas deadline but good luck to those who have interviews!

Hey :) I'm also applying this year for a January start!

Reactions: 1 user
Whoever already had interviews, did you get any response? The “waiting game” already worries me lol

Nothing yet 😅 it's been a long 4 weeks lol
Oh boy , it was moving so fast: submitted, verified, email from SGU, interview, all in a matter of about 10 days, now 3 weeks passed - nothing. Oh well, maybe no good news are good news? LOL

Wow!! Did you interview for the Fall 2023? I just submitted an application for SGU as well, I need to mentally prepare for an interview hahaahah

Wow!! Did you interview for the Fall 2023? I just submitted an application for SGU as well, I need to mentally prepare for an interview hahaahah
Yes, was crazy worried, first interview for vet school, but interviewer was a nice young woman, alumni, her first words were we are just getting to know each other, nothing to worry about, simple questions, I asked her about school, was very pleasant conversation for about an hour, of course I still had jitters after. Just be yourself.

just submitted the VMCAS application yesterday....and got an interview invitation today morning?! didn't expect they would move this fast :rofl:

• Haha
just submitted the VMCAS application yesterday....and got an interview invitation today morning?! didn't expect they would move this fast :rofl:
That’s awesome though! I submitted on 8/31 and got an interview invite about 6 days later… to think I was surprised at the speed of mine 😂

I submitted mine on the 15th. Just so I know, for the people who have already done an interview/been asked for one, how do they reach out to you for an interview? By email/phone number or another way?

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted mine on the 15th. Just so I know, for the people who have already done an interview/been asked for one, how do they reach out to you for an interview? By email/phone number or another way?
I applied last year, and they notified me by email. The interview is conducted with an alumni from SGU, so you are put in contact with that doctor and arrange a time for the interview, at least that's how mine worked.

I applied last year, and they notified me by email. The interview is conducted with an alumni from SGU, so you are put in contact with that doctor and arrange a time for the interview, at least that's how mine worked.
Yep , same is this year.

I got an interview invite! If I were to get an acceptance from SGU shortly after my interview, would I still have until around April 15th to accept the offer?

I got an interview invite! If I were to get an acceptance from SGU shortly after my interview, would I still have until around April 15th to accept the offer?
Yes you should be able to wait until that date for all the schools

I got an interview as well! It's set for this Thursday, I'm nervous and excited.

Just got done with my interview! I liked that it was a bit more casual, but now I’m ready to hurry up and wait 😂

Just got done with my interview! I liked that it was a bit more casual, but now I’m ready to hurry up and wait 😂
I had my interview about a week ago and my interviewer said we are lucky since we are so early in the batch of interviews and that we will definitely have an answer before Halloween!

I had my interview about a week ago and my interviewer said we are lucky since we are so early in the batch of interviews and that we will definitely have an answer before Halloween!
My interview was a month ago, still waiting for results 😅

My interview was a month ago, still waiting for results 😅
On week 6 post interview, hoping for a response soon! My interviewer said last cycle decisions took between 4 and 6 weeks, but the general admissions email I received afterwards was up to 12 weeks. Best of luck to everyone!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
I’m currently accepted for the 2027 fall class

Reactions: 6 users
Did you hear today or is this because you deferred SGU prior?
Because I deferred. So my timeline was I applied on the deadline in September, received an email interview in October, interview in November and heard back in December. So it’s okay if it takes awhile as the committee meets randomly

Just had my interview today! Wish I practiced more, but it was my first interview for a veterinary school so I'm happy I have a handle on what to expect in the future for other schools. My interviewer told me that I would hear something within 12 weeks if not earlier, depending on admission's availability. Also, congratulations @honeypot999 ! :D

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have tips for the interview? I’m not sure how to prepare in the event I’m offered one, so I’d love to hear how others have prepped!

Does anyone have tips for the interview? I’m not sure how to prepare in the event I’m offered one, so I’d love to hear how others have prepped!
It’s a closed book interview so the interviewers know nothing about you. You have to really sell yourself. I kept in mind my strengths and weaknesses, and what I would bring diversity wise to the campus. Make sure to bring questions about the school and the interviewer themselves.

It’s a closed book interview so the interviewers know nothing about you. You have to really sell yourself. I kept in mind my strengths and weaknesses, and what I would bring diversity wise to the campus. Make sure to bring questions about the school and the interviewer themselves.
That is super helpful! Thank you so much ☺️

Does anyone know anything about Dr. Conor Gallagher? He's my interviewer and I can't find him on LinkedIn or anything. I'd like to learn a little something about him in order to prep

Does anyone know anything about Dr. Conor Gallagher? He's my interviewer and I can't find him on LinkedIn or anything. I'd like to learn a little something about him in order to prep
I can't say much as he was not who interviewed me, but typically all interviewers are SGU vet med alumni. Hope that helps!

It looks like he’s a recent graduate of the university and he’s from PA. He’s a small animal vet working at a blue pearl emergency center

How long did it take for you all to hear back about an interview? I was verified at the start of the month through VMCAS and the only email I've gotten was the "You will receive an update on the status of your application once your application is complete and verified."

How long did it take for you all to hear back about an interview? I was verified at the start of the month through VMCAS and the only email I've gotten was the "You will receive an update on the status of your application once your application is complete and verified."
I submitted early (8/2) and got an email about an interview on 8/5

My interview email came about 8 hours after the email from vmcas saying my application was verified

Application was verified this morning and I was also offered an interview today!!! Super excited/nervous. For those of you who had your interview already, do you have any questions I should prepare to ask/be asked?

Application was verified this morning and I was also offered an interview today!!! Super excited/nervous. For those of you who had your interview already, do you have any questions I should prepare to ask/be asked?
I highly recommend looking carefully at all of your experiences (vet, animal, volunteer) prior to and familiarizing yourself with those. Interviews are closed book or blind meaning the interviewer only knows your name and that you made it to the interview stage! This is one thing I wish I would have done prior to mine since it had been a while since looking at my app. Other than that, be honest about any grade discrepancies and show them who you are :) Also come up with a few questions to ask them after the fact.
Best of luck!!

Just had my interview and really enjoyed it! I like that it's a little more laid back and I really liked chatting with the alum DVM as well :)

I also just had my interview. I think it went pretty well but there were definitely a few questions I could’ve answered better. Dr. Mutchler was super nice and I learned a lot from her about the school and program. It kinda worries me that everyone said this interview was laid back though because there were definitely a lot of normal slightly challenging questions that I would expect in a more formal interview with an admissions committee as well.

I mean I definitely think that the questions themselves were pretty formal/standard but my interviewer was talking about getting drunk with his professors at the bars at the end lol so the whole thing wasn't super formal

I mean I definitely think that the questions themselves were pretty formal/standard but my interviewer was talking about getting drunk with his professors at the bars at the end lol so the whole thing wasn't super formal
Ohh gotcha yeah mine didn’t talk about getting drunk with professors but she did talk about running into them at a pizza place lol. I guess just talking to a former student is just going to be less formal than an admissions committee in general.

Does SGU have a portal to monitor our admissions status?

Anyone who's interviewed heard back yet? Just had mine today and already nervous lol. Went pretty well but I just was curious how long it's taken to hear back if anyone has!

Anyone who's interviewed heard back yet? Just had mine today and already nervous lol. Went pretty well but I just was curious how long it's taken to hear back if anyone has!
I had my interview yesterday and was told it would take 4 to 8 weeks to hear.

My interviewer said January but I have no idea if he just made that up randomly or not 😂

Thank you! Figured it would be more hurry up and wait. I hope you get in!
Thanks! You too! The wait will be hard but she made it seem like it definitely wouldn’t be longer than 8 weeks so hopefully that’s true because it could be worse lol.

My interviewer said January but I have no idea if he just made that up randomly or not 😂
Just more waiting I guess! 😅

Thanks! You too! The wait will be hard but she made it seem like it definitely wouldn’t be longer than 8 weeks so hopefully that’s true because it could be worse lol.
Thank you! I definitely agree. I kinda like that they start reviewing apps as soon as they come in. Hoping mine goes well since SGU is one of my top picks!

Last edited:
My 8-week mark is this coming Monday, fingers crossed!! :D