Shadowing a DO for one day for LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazybutt26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I finally shadowed a D.O today after searching endlessly. At least the one that does OMTs so I can really observe the difference between how DOs practice medicine from MDs. After posting here, whether I should ask for the letter of recommendation or not after only shadowing her for a day, I decided to try and she said, "sure, I can say you shadowed and showed interest in osteopathic medicine, but a robust letter would have to come from someone who's known you for a long time" I mean, no problem with the response really. I have a strong M.D letter after working with her for 8 months. A lot of people who said they were able to get a letter from a D.O after shadowing for 4 or 8 hours said their letter was genetic but they were able to check off the box on the application list and got into a school. After discussing writing the letter, she then asked me to come back for another full day of shadowing(which I was super excited about)!!!

My question is; I was actually going to put that 8-hour shadowing experience on AACOMAS application and submit it because that's the last thing I needed to include, but now that I won't have the second shadowing until June 19th, I am debating whether I should put 16 hour total shadowing and then just submit the application now vs wait until I actually do the shadowing.

A lot of people might say submitting the application now vs after June 19th might not make a difference for D.O schools, but I want to apply early!!!!! So my question is,
can I submit the application now with 16 hours of shadowing and then update the letter of recommendation later? The letter would be submitted to Interfolio and then I am gonna have interfolio deliver the letter to AACOMAs. WOULD THAT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IN MED SCHOOLS REVIEWING MY APPLICATIONS?

if I submit the application now, I believe it might be verified by mid June? Cuz I heard that once I submit the application, I can't update any of the activities or experience which doesn't make any sense to me but I just wanted to make sure

Thanks for answering

Members don't see this ad.

Just put 16 hrs and submit now. But be sure to actually follow through with the shadowing later on

Reactions: 1 user
I projected my hours up to the date I planned to leave the activity or school starts.

Just put 16. Although I doubt it’ll matter in the end. My LOR was from a DO I shadowed for 6 hours one day.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure to make the second shadowing day, in case she puts down one day on her letter and you out 2 days on your app. A small detail for sure, you never know who is reviewing your app.

Reactions: 1 users
Make sure to make the second shadowing day, in case she puts down one day on her letter and you out 2 days on your app. A small detail for sure, you never know who is reviewing your app.

Thanks for your help. Will make sure to do that