Shadowing Opportunities in the DC/Maryland/Virginia Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thewonderer8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I live in the Maryland/DC area and I've been trying for months to find a DO to shadow but have had no luck. I've tried cold-calling, emailing, faxing but I either get no response or a "no" response (clever huh? Haha). A lot of doctors say that it simply isn't possible considering the environment (I've been trying mostly internal and family medicine doctors).

I completely get if anyone who has had a good shadowing experience wants to keep their doctor's name a secret for privacy reasons but it would really help me to get some advice here. If you feel comfortable private messaging, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry you haven't had any luck. Here's the what I would do. Write a letter of intent and include your resume. Bring it directly to doctors offices and leave it with reception. Follow up ~1 week later.

My shadowing experiences were random: met one at a farmers market, the other was my grandmothers doc.

Hey everyone,

I live in the Maryland/DC area and I've been trying for months to find a DO to shadow but have had no luck. I've tried cold-calling, emailing, faxing but I either get no response or a "no" response (clever huh? Haha). A lot of doctors say that it simply isn't possible considering the environment (I've been trying mostly internal and family medicine doctors).

I completely get if anyone who has had a good shadowing experience wants to keep their doctor's name a secret for privacy reasons but it would really help me to get some advice here. If you feel comfortable private messaging, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks guys.

One of my shadowing opportunities came from volunteering. I was helping out at a underserved health clinic and a nice DO there said I could follow him around for a week too. I'm sure there are a million such organizations in your area that could serve as an in for you with a DO.

Finding shadowing without a connection in healthcare is the worst. But the upside of having it on your app and having a DO LOR or two is huge so it's worth the uncomfortable nature of asking around.

Good luck man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry you haven't had any luck. Here's the what I would do. Write a letter of intent and include your resume. Bring it directly to doctors offices and leave it with reception. Follow up ~1 week later.

My shadowing experiences were random: met one at a farmers market, the other was my grandmothers doc.
One of my shadowing opportunities came from volunteering. I was helping out at a underserved health clinic and a nice DO there said I could follow him around for a week too. I'm sure there are a million such organizations in your area that could serve as an in for you with a DO.

Finding shadowing without a connection in healthcare is the worst. But the upside of having it on your app and having a DO LOR or two is huge so it's worth the uncomfortable nature of asking around.

Good luck man.

Appreciate it guys. This process tends to get disheartening but y'all definitely helped a ton.

Hey, I'm also the DMV area. Honestly, there are so many hospitals you just gotta go through the docs on the website and call em up until one says yes. It may take 40 calls but eventually you'll find one.

Hi all! I'm having the same issue - it seems that doctors around here don't seem to be in the practice of having shadowers, especially those who are not current students (I graduated about three years ago and have a full-time job in a non-medical field). The hours I work (9am-6pm) also makes it a bit more difficult - not many clinics or offices seem to be open outside of those hours. If anyone has any leads or tips, I'd be grateful to have them!

Hi all! I'm having the same issue - it seems that doctors around here don't seem to be in the practice of having shadowers, especially those who are not current students (I graduated about three years ago and have a full-time job in a non-medical field). The hours I work (9am-6pm) also makes it a bit more difficult - not many clinics or offices seem to be open outside of those hours. If anyone has any leads or tips, I'd be grateful to have them!

I vaguely remember using a search page on the AOA website many years ago (in fact, close to 10 years ago) that allowed you to search for a DO to shadow because I was applying pretty late in the cycle at the time and needed to shadow somebody pronto. I just tried to look for that website but couldn't (no surprise since it's been about 10 years) but it looks like you can go to the AOA website and click on the 'doctors that do' link. You will probably have to cold call but at least the information would be centralized and there seems to be a fairly good sort function. Best wishes with your search.

I've been able to shadow multiple times at Norton Community Hospital in Norton, VA. Granted, that is quite far from your area but it is a part of Mountain States Health Alliance. Maybe you could find a provider or office closer to you that is affiliated with them.

Locations | Mountain States Health Alliance