Should healthcare be a right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is zero correlation between something being a right and your desire to provide that right. Is there a linear relationship between something being ethically necessary and the salaries of the people that carry that out? Is publically funded schools only a right if teachers are paid adequately?

Healthcare as a right means government as a payor. Look up Medicare or Medicaid reimbursement versus private insurance reimbursement.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Healthcare as a right means government as a payor. Look up Medicare or Medicaid reimbursement versus private insurance reimbursement.

I understand the different payment schemes. My point is that something being a "right" or not has nothing to do with how much someone should be paid to give it.

I understand the different payment schemes. My point is that something being a "right" or not has nothing to do with how much someone should be paid to give it.
You really can't see why I want a guaranteed salary? I mean it's not as if CMS has a history of imposing cuts, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think circulus vitios's concern about salaries and government reimbursements is valid. They can be unrelated issues too, but one is certainly suggestive of another occuring. The bigger problem is that MBA's and politicians have all the control at the moment driving down everyone else's pay for their own benefit. Rather than fix the bigger problem, the smaller problems, such as this, get worse. But yeah, healthcare should be a right and physicians salaries should not be attacked.

The issue with this is attempting to find what is considered good health to the general public. In the case of the law, it's fairly straightforward: if you are a defendant, you have the right to a lawyer.

Where do we draw the line for medicine? Life-threatening cases? Chronic illness? Tummy-aches?

I dont know, but I do feel healthcare should be a right. I just don't have a full blown solution to it.

I think circulus vitios's concern about salaries and government reimbursements is valid. They can be unrelated issues too, but one is certainly suggestive of another occuring. The bigger problem is that MBA's and politicians have all the control at the moment driving down everyone else's pay for their own benefit. Rather than fix the bigger problem, the smaller problems, such as this, get worse. But yeah, healthcare should be a right and physicians salaries should not be attacked.

I'm not saying it's an invalid concern it just isn't germane to the discussion.

If something is a right then you throw everything you have at achieving that right for all people - then and only then do you concern yourself with the consequences of how are we going to pay for it, what infrastructure do we need to create, how do we make this accessible, etc. It's not that those other things don't matter, they simply don't affect the ethical burden.

Yes, I am a "pre med" (even though I didn't major in pre med) who will be starting med school in the fall, but I'm not ignorant to how real world doctors think....ask THEM if they want to provide free healthcare in every form...i think we know the answer. Go read the physician threads and you'll get an idea. It SOUNDS all great and flowery as a pre med ( and actually, it "does" sound awesome for everyone to have free care) but that's just not how it works here. It works for some countries, but not for this one. It sucks, but hasn't the ACA made it to where everyone has insurance? Why would healthcare even need to be completely free?

I think undergraduates are most annoying when they go through their Libertarian phase...it's like they think they have cracked some secret code and all of a sudden know all of the answers to society's problems.

They do make for entertaining interwebz debates doe.
Ayn Rand 4 lyfe bro

There's NOT 2 sides, there are 2 extremes.

There are many ways to solve this problem, like almost any problem. Intelligence and creativity are key.