Should I apply to SMPs/Post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KP1095

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting here. I'm currently a senior set to graduate in May and just wondering if I should apply to some SMPs. I'm set to graduate with a gpa around 3.3 both cumulative and science. I took my MCAT last year and got a low score of 497 and plan on retaking in June/July. I have volunteered/worked as an EMT for over 4 years and worked as a scribe for a little over 1 year. I've done research at the CINJ as well as served as president of my service fraternity. I have LORs from both MD/DO doctors and have shadowed a cardiovascular surgeon and a radiologist so far. With all that being said I was wondering if I should focus on both getting a much better MCAT score and applying for SMPs or would I have a chance if I just solely worked on getting the MCAT score up instead of spending all that money on a SMP. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, first time posting here. I'm currently a senior set to graduate in May and just wondering if I should apply to some SMPs. I'm set to graduate with a gpa around 3.3 both cumulative and science. I took my MCAT last year and got a low score of 497 and plan on retaking in June/July. I have volunteered/worked as an EMT for over 4 years and worked as a scribe for a little over 1 year. I've done research at the CINJ as well as served as president of my service fraternity. I have LORs from both MD/DO doctors and have shadowed a cardiovascular surgeon and a radiologist so far. With all that being said I was wondering if I should focus on both getting a much better MCAT score and applying for SMPs or would I have a chance if I just solely worked on getting the MCAT score up instead of spending all that money on a SMP. Thanks!
If you have an upward trend and can bring up your mcat by 10 or so I'd definitely apply to schools, shows you can improve you know. I've been thinking the same, graduating in May but I've never taken the mcat, got a low gpa, so I need to kill it, otherwise I'll have a thread like this 5 months from now

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

SMP's are not designed to fix a low MCAT, and that is your main problem, so don't waste your time/money. I would recommend studying your butt off for the MCAT and get a 510+ to make up for that first score. If you can do that, then you can worry about the GPA issue by taking DIY upper level post-bacc classes.