should i retake these classes? please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amaliasabb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
due to family issues such as I was caretaker of my grandfather last year and he had to go to a doctor almost every other day therefore I couldn't always go to class and when the finals came around I flunked. My grandfather passed away shortly after and I never took it well I have taken 44 credits in my college career as of now and realized I want to pursue medicine. I was doing business and it was a fail. Because of last year I did poorly with grades I failed 3 classes which were american studies, volcano class and business calc and I got 2 D's in business law and archeology. I plan on retaking all of these courses and am in the process of retaking 2 of them right now. I am doing very well in my Psych and Bio courses and will start my pre reqs next semester. Will Med School not like this? This is my dream and I will retake these classes and have been getting A's ever since.

Members don't see this ad.

due to family issues such as I was caretaker of my grandfather last year and he had to go to a doctor almost every other day therefore I couldn't always go to class and when the finals came around I flunked. My grandfather passed away shortly after and I never took it well I have taken 44 credits in my college career as of now and realized I want to pursue medicine. I was doing business and it was a fail. Because of last year I did poorly with grades I failed 3 classes which were american studies, volcano class and business calc and I got 2 D's in business law and archeology. I plan on retaking all of these courses and am in the process of retaking 2 of them right now. I am doing very well in my Psych and Bio courses and will start my pre reqs next semester. Will Med School not like this? This is my dream and I will retake these classes and have been getting A's ever since.
Retaking classes where you got low grades will never hurt you. DO med schools only count the most recent grade when you retake a class. And iff you get enough As, show consistency, get your GPA back into into a competitive range (perhaps with an extra year of college), and show strong performance on the MCAT, even MD schools are not an impossibility for you.

You might consider applying for a retroactive withdrawal for those classes if you have documentation of the challenge you faced. Make an appointment with a dean and see if this is a possibility. Ws on your transcript are far less injurious than Ds and Fs to your chances, especially with a good explanation.