Should I start thinking about reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently applying this cycle and I'm not sure how great the chances are of receiving an acceptance. Here is a summary of my application:

cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.61
Overall strong upward trend; had 7 B's in first 3 semesters then rebounded with all A's/A-'s in last 5 semesters after parent death sophomore year.

MCAT: First attempt: 30 (11 PS/10VR/09BS)
MCAT: Second attempt: 33 (10 PS/13 VR/10 BS)

Extracurriculars:
Hospital Volunteering (~150 hours; issue is that I did this over 2 summers instead of a long-term commitment)
Shadowing (~100 hours)
Research (2 years in psychology department, ~500 hours, 1 poster presentation); two summer internships in molecular biology labs (full-time; 7 weeks each)
Student Library Assistant (2.5 years, ~500 hours)
Newspaper sports staff writer (3 years, ~300 hours)
E-board member of pre-med organization (Treasurer and Vice President)

Community Service: Hospital volunteering above, ESL assistant for Spanish-speaking individuals (~50 hours), mentoring high school students (~100 hours over 4 years), planning and participating in health fairs for underserved (~100 hours over 4 years)

LORs:
Science: One biology professor, one anatomy professor (very strong)
Non-science: One Spanish professor
Outside LORs: Research PI

Gap year activity: During the summer I taught math to middle school students at a summer camp and since the fall I've been tutoring full time.

Here was my school list (I'm from CA):

Tufts (Interview Invite; Deferred)
Albany (Interview Invite; Waitlisted (Under consideration list)
Albert Einstein (Interview Invite; decision pending)
NYMC (Interview Invite; Waitlisted)
Drexel (Hold)
Arizona (Tucson) (Hold)
Rosalind Franklin (Rejected)
Hofstra (Rejected)
Tulane (Rejected)
USC Keck (Rejected)
UC San Diego (Rejected)
Boston University (Rejected)
Rochester (Rejected)
Arizona-Phoenix (Rejected)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
MCW
Temple
Jefferson
VA Tech
Wake Forest
Miami
Creighton
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Vermont
Emory
Ohio State

I got 4 interview invites in August and September and I thought my application was pretty decent if I got invited at Tufts and Einstein. But I've since been deferred from Tufts, waitlisted at NYMC and Albany, and waiting on Einstein. I haven't received any new II's in the last 4 months and I already feel like I've been silently rejected at a handful of schools (like Emory and VA tech).

Do you guys think I should start thinking about reapplying, or is it too early? What do you guys think are the strengths and weaknesses of my app? I lost one of my parents very suddenly in college and worked to put together (what I thought was) a respectable app since then, but I thought I would have seen maybe 1 or 2 more interviews :(

Thanks for all the help! Sorry for the long post.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a solid application. Good MCAT scores. Just be patient and wait it out. you'll get in somewhere

Reactions: 1 user
I'm shocked that four interview invites hasn't turned into an acceptance yet. I have a good feeling about Albert Einstein. My philosophy is that until you have an acceptance you should be thinking about a conceivable Plan B, but currently I like the odds that you'll get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow similar stats and literally the exact same reject list as you LOL

EDIT: sorry that wasn't helpful at all

Reactions: 7 users
One should always have a Plan B.

For OP, it should be improving interview skills, and more service. Especially more clinical contact, and service to others less fortunate than yourself.

I'm shocked that four interview invites hasn't turned into an acceptance yet. I have a good feeling about Albert Einstein. My philosophy is that until you have an acceptance you should be thinking about a conceivable Plan B, but currently I like the odds that you'll get in somewhere.

Reactions: 4 users
I would definitely be thinking about what you need to improve if you need to reapply next year. I agree with Goro and the other posters that you seem have a solid application but that extra volunteering and interview prep seem like areas to work on. You have a few months to get some volunteering hours before the next cycle starts, so get to it.

In my opinion, everyone should be working on their Plan B until they get into a school. There's no reason not to be working on a Plan B, just in case. Definitely don't give up hope that you will get in somewhere, though.

The first instinct with all of these type threads is to immediately focus on deficiencies. Of course the answer if you don't get an acceptance is to identify areas you can strengthen, and of course sooner rather than later. But you have what appears to be a strong application, albeit perhaps a commonly strong application. You got FOUR very early IIs, so that does seem to suggest you application was good. Interviewing could be an issue but it appears you haven't been rejected after interviews either so maybe you did fine but not great. Your ECs aren't stunning but appear to be above average IMO. As opposed to the deficit model reaction, I view your situation as underscoring just how hard it is to get in. Plus you are a CA resident. That said, I'm guessing that you are understandably panicking prematurely and that you will prevail with at least one acceptance and maybe more this cycle.

I'm sorry OP but from the looks of it, your interview skills are absolute crap. Do me a favor and prove me wrong with that Einstein interview. Nothing in life is certain but death and taxes, but with those stats, a compelling qualifier to your deficits, and some catharsis during your IIs, you should obtain at least 1 acceptance. I hope you get in somewhere this year, but you need to work on your ability to convey yourself.

I'm sorry OP but from the looks of it, your interview skills are absolute crap.

How rude and uninformed can you be? The average (from another thread this year) seems to be about 1 acceptance per 3 interviews. It's unfortunate but not that unusual to get waitlisted on multiple interviews like this. Hopefully at least one will turn into an acceptance once people start dropping their extra acceptances. Keep your chin up, OP!

Reactions: 9 users
Yea, your profile seems legit on paper. Keep your head up. Work on your deficits and a Plan B. Best of luck.

Hey guys,

I'm currently applying this cycle and I'm not sure how great the chances are of receiving an acceptance. Here is a summary of my application:

cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.61
Overall strong upward trend; had 7 B's in first 3 semesters then rebounded with all A's/A-'s in last 5 semesters after parent death sophomore year.

MCAT: First attempt: 30 (11 PS/10VR/09BS)
MCAT: Second attempt: 33 (10 PS/13 VR/10 BS)

Extracurriculars:
Hospital Volunteering (~150 hours; issue is that I did this over 2 summers instead of a long-term commitment)
Shadowing (~100 hours)
Research (2 years in psychology department, ~500 hours, 1 poster presentation); two summer internships in molecular biology labs (full-time; 7 weeks each)
Student Library Assistant (2.5 years, ~500 hours)
Newspaper sports staff writer (3 years, ~300 hours)
E-board member of pre-med organization (Treasurer and Vice President)

Community Service: Hospital volunteering above, ESL assistant for Spanish-speaking individuals (~50 hours), mentoring high school students (~100 hours over 4 years), planning and participating in health fairs for underserved (~100 hours over 4 years)

LORs:
Science: One biology professor, one anatomy professor (very strong)
Non-science: One Spanish professor
Outside LORs: Research PI

Gap year activity: During the summer I taught math to middle school students at a summer camp and since the fall I've been tutoring full time.

Here was my school list (I'm from CA):

Tufts (Interview Invite; Deferred)
Albany (Interview Invite; Waitlisted (Under consideration list)
Albert Einstein (Interview Invite; decision pending)
NYMC (Interview Invite; Waitlisted)
Drexel (Hold)
Arizona (Tucson) (Hold)
Rosalind Franklin (Rejected)
Hofstra (Rejected)
Tulane (Rejected)
USC Keck (Rejected)
UC San Diego (Rejected)
Boston University (Rejected)
Rochester (Rejected)
Arizona-Phoenix (Rejected)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
MCW
Temple
Jefferson
VA Tech
Wake Forest
Miami
Creighton
Rush
Loyola
St. Louis
Vermont
Emory
Ohio State

I got 4 interview invites in August and September and I thought my application was pretty decent if I got invited at Tufts and Einstein. But I've since been deferred from Tufts, waitlisted at NYMC and Albany, and waiting on Einstein. I haven't received any new II's in the last 4 months and I already feel like I've been silently rejected at a handful of schools (like Emory and VA tech).

Do you guys think I should start thinking about reapplying, or is it too early? What do you guys think are the strengths and weaknesses of my app? I lost one of my parents very suddenly in college and worked to put together (what I thought was) a respectable app since then, but I thought I would have seen maybe 1 or 2 more interviews :(

Thanks for all the help! Sorry for the long post.
I feel for you! You look like an applicant that should get in somewhere so I hope you do!

So first off, I feel really bad for you because this situation is tough. I agree with the above poster who said you may be struggling with your interview skills, though you were also unfortunate to only get IIs at schools that interview a billion people per spot.

What really sucks is there is no clear way you can improve your application for next cycle seeing as your academics and experiences are solid, and that'll make the "what did you do to improve your app" question tough. Perhaps find a job in the field if you can?

On the bright side, I feel like you still have a solid shot at some schools - I know Tufts has very little WL movement, but NYMC has a ton. I would say get ready for reapps around end of May if you haven't heard anything, and include DO programs on your next try.

I'm sorry OP but from the looks of it, your interview skills are absolute crap. Do me a favor and prove me wrong with that Einstein interview. Nothing in life is certain but death and taxes, but with those stats, a compelling qualifier to your deficits, and some catharsis during your IIs, you should obtain at least 1 acceptance. I hope you get in somewhere this year, but you need to work on your ability to convey yourself.
Yeah, OP's the one that needs help communicating with people...

OP: I also think you will likely be fine this cycle. If not, focus on clinical volunteering in this next cycle and I would pretty much guarantee an acceptance next year. Maybe at some sort of a free clinic rather than a hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks so much for the responses. The encouragement and kind words are helpful! I have submitted some applications to begin clinical volunteering, and will also get involved with some community service activities as well.

Respectfully, I don't think it's fair to say this, as you weren't there during my interviews. Albany and NYMC had MMI's so it was difficult to convey that personal problem properly. I'm sure I could improve in certain areas during my interviews, but I don't think it's a huge weakness for me.

UC list at Albany isn't a waitlist. So don't count yourself out. They accept like like 2/3 of their class from it. They'll release the bulk acceptances probably in February

Thinking I may have to end up reapplying too (I literally want to cry just typing that)

With that being said...Have already begun volunteering and trying to get a bunch of added research hours

@Goro will I have to have a completely new/different P/S and secondary responses the second time around??

The wise @gyngyn has informed us that at least at his school, they keep copies of previous apps and see if you've merely recycled.

I suggest NOT doing a complete rewrite, but perhaps adding things to the PS as to what you've learned or how you've improved over the past year.

Remember, the more eyeballs on your app, the better.

Thinking I may have to end up reapplying too (I literally want to cry just typing that)

With that being said...Have already begun volunteering and trying to get a bunch of added research hours

@Goro will I have to have a completely new/different P/S and secondary responses the second time around??

I highly suggest the SUNYs, as they love CA kids. Also, consider Cincinnati and add Case Western as a reach. Maybe add a few DOs in the location of your choosing.

Hey guys - I'm hoping I get in this year obviously, but if I have to reapply, I would be adding a year of tutoring, a summer of teaching algebra at a math camp (volunteering), ~6 months of hospice clinic volunteering, and ~6 months of volunteering at a food bank. Does this represent a good improvement to my application? @Goro @gyngyn

Hey guys - I'm hoping I get in this year obviously, but if I have to reapply, I would be adding a year of tutoring, a summer of teaching algebra at a math camp (volunteering), ~6 months of hospice clinic volunteering, and ~6 months of volunteering at a food bank. Does this represent a good improvement to my application? @Goro @gyngyn
With another good list and some interview skills you should get in.
Focus on OOS schools with a median MCAT around 30.

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted it's been a good 8 years since I applied to medical school, but I can take a guess. Your application seems very good. I dont understand why you're not getting in. I'm sorry about your luck.

Add PCOM-Philly, Michigan State DO, CCOM, Western-Pomona, UCR MD, Loma Linda MD, Touro-CA, AZCOM next time

In the same boat. If I would have to reapply, I would take 2 years off. It's a little silly that the cycle starts in June and you really won't know if you're off a waitlist until May.

Add PCOM-Philly, Michigan State DO, CCOM, Western-Pomona, UCR MD, Loma Linda MD, Touro-CA, AZCOM next time

I agree. Now that you have applied exclusively to MD, and unless you add something to your app that changes it dramatically, I would add in some DO schools for next year

In no way should he apply to Michigan State DO.. There is no need to pay 85,000 in tuition. And only UCR if he is from the inland empire as Goro is wont to say. Agree with the rest. A good list should give an acceptance. If you have to reapply throw in a handful of DO programs you could see yourself going to, starting with Western.

Hopefully you just get into Einstein and it will all be moot

In the same boat. If I would have to reapply, I would take 2 years off. It's a little silly that the cycle starts in June and you really won't know if you're off a waitlist until May.

Omg the thought of having to wait another year to reapply would make me such a sad and miserable human.

Don't have to worry about this anymore because I got accepted to MCW today!!! Thanks for all the support and help guys!!

Reactions: 7 users
Don't have to worry about this anymore because I got accepted to MCW today!!! Thanks for all the support and help guys!!
Congrats! I'm hoping to have an invite somewhere soon. If not, I'll be having to reapply. I just graduated, so it's weird to think about a year off.