should I take ochem and physics together?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadooshhxo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psych major at a cc & doing all my pre-meds at my cc then taking a few upper-div science courses at UCLA when I transfer there (asked the med schools I was interested in, they were fine with it).

For my major I have to take many psych & social science courses ALONG with all the pre-med reqs.

I'd have to push Ochem and Physics for my last 2 semesters at my cc. Should I take them together?

Members don't see this ad.

Right now I'm currently in organic chemistry and physics and plan to take the second of each next semester as well. It is a very common course load for a semester for pre-meds, and it is definitely achievable. I wouldn't recommend adding any other hard math or science along with it, though, if you are worried about this being too much.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going to medical school, you're gonna be doing a lot more than taking 2 sciences classes together. Yes, take ochem and physics together

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
no
take them at a real school

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I plan on doing the same, I work full time however. Is it doable?

I fear in settings myself up for failure.

Most people do take them together. It's not a particularly good sign if you can only handle one science per term.

Reactions: 2 users
Take Ochem, Physics, Calculus, Statistics, and Anatomy&Physiology together. Then take biochemistry, cell biology, General Genetics and microbiology - together. And a humanities class because you have to. That should keep you out of trouble and prepare you for Med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Take Ochem, Physics, Calculus, Statistics, and Anatomy&Physiology together. Then take biochemistry, cell biology, General Genetics and microbiology - together. And a humanities class because you have to. That should keep you out of trouble and prepare you for Med school.
I'll be done with Calc before I get to Ochem & Physics. I'm in my 1st semester at my cc right now and I'm already taking Anatomy&Physio. I'll deff take those upper classes!! Thaanks

I'm a psych major at a cc & doing all my pre-meds at my cc then taking a few upper-div science courses at UCLA when I transfer there (asked the med schools I was interested in, they were fine with it).

For my major I have to take many psych & social science courses ALONG with all the pre-med reqs.

I'd have to push Ochem and Physics for my last 2 semesters at my cc. Should I take them together?
Why are you taking all your premed requirements at a community college? BAD IDEA.

no
take them at a real school[/QUOTE
Why are you taking all your premed requirements at a community college? BAD IDEA.
I called all the schools I was interested in (not necessarily top tier) & they basically said it was completely fine as long as I take upper level science courses at UCLA. & I'm also sort of iffy between majoring in psych, psychobio, or chem. The last two majors have pre-reqs (which are all basically the pre med reqs) that have to be taken at my cc before I can transfer AS those majors. So just in case I end up changing my major :)

I plan on doing the same, I work full time however. Is it doable?

I fear in settings myself up for failure.
Only you will know
It may be easy for some and impossible for others. In general, you should be able to do it.

Psych and social science courses are easy in comparison. Unless it's more neuroscience/psycho pharm, then I would reconsider. If not, tackling multiple science courses with those courses shouldn't be a problem. The general rule of thumb is no more than 3 science courses at any one time as that is what most peeps can handle.

I would not take more science courses than necessary at a CC, especially if they do not have a laboratory portion.
If you were taking science courses, it best be for fulfilling prerequisites for those upper-division courses you're planning on taking at UCLA. Other than that, keep it at a bare minimum.

O-chem and Physics is very doable. . . You may even want to throw in another science course unless your major requirements are more immediately concerning.

This is completely doable. At my school, this is what pretty much all of the premeds do.

Good luck!

the classes aren't that bad. it's the labs and writing reports that take up huge chunks of time
i've never done anything that was a bigger waste of time than doing all of the error calculations for physics labs. it somehow takes forever

that and attending lab as a sleep deprived mess because you're trying to keep up with lecture hw/review :unsure:

It will be fine! Most people take much heavier loads and do well! Don't fall behind and it should be okay.

It can definitely be done, but only do it if you're aware of and prepared for the commitment. Your class load in medical school will be much, much harder, so I would recommend it as a decent way to get used to studying that much.

God damnit, I am dying in Coffee Bean. Holy **** I have not laughed that hard in a while. Thank you thank thank you.