MPH Should I take the GRE again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolverine86

Reaction score
I took the GRE last year, and I didn't do so well.
I got 150 Verbal (47%) 151 Quantitive (42%) and 3.5 Writing (41%)

Yeah, I know those scores aren't good at all, but I applied to MPH/MHA program last year and got into a couple (UWash, GW, Boston U, USC)

I did 3 public health internships during undergrad (graduated 2017), one of which was a CDC funded program out of my home state), ended with a solid 3.4 GPA after raising it all the way from a 2.7 (it's a long story), and did a year long Public Health program with AmeriCorps after I graduated.

Instead of going to graduate school this year, I set that aside and decided to join the CDC's PHAP program for two years. I'm planning to apply to grad school this year so I can start 2020 after the CDC program ends.

My question is that should I take the GRE again for a higher score? I have 3 good years of public health before I start grad school, so I just want to know if it's worth retaking again.

I'm aiming for schools like UCLA, Columbia, Michigan, Minnesota, Berkeley, Ohio State, but I'm hoping for UCLA.

I'd love any sort of input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

You have a really good diversity of experience which will definitely help you out on your application. Also being able to raise your GPA after starting low will always look good to the admissions committe (they can see what your gpa was your first 2 years and your last 2).

Your GRE is a little low. I would advise you to retake it if you feel you can get above the 50th percentile for both sections. That generally is what their "cut off" tends to be so being below it can hurt you. It isn't a one size fits all model though so you can still be considered if your GRE is below that but your chances raise a lot more if you have it above the 50th percentile. This is from discussions I've had with many of the program directors when I was applying last year to my MHA programs.

If you want to discuss this in more detail feel free to reply here or pm me privately. I'd love to be able to help however I can.

Best of luck!!

If you just want to get into one of those schools, I think you'd get into at least one and don't need to bother retaking it.

If you really wanted your top choice... I probably would retake it, if I were you. If nothing else to know that I gave it my all. I would hate to get rejected then wonder whether I would've gotten in. Then again, I score in the low 90th percentile for verbal and upper 80s for quant and didn't get into UCLA - but that was straight out of undergrad with no experience. Either way, good luck! I think you'd do fine.

Question how long did it take GW to get back to you. I'm trying to get into their MHA and my GRE is bad. 145 and 147. Would appreciate any advice, thanks!