Other OT-Related Information SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a first year at SJSU and I facilitated last year's "support group" thread. I'm also applying to be the grad assistant for next year! Let me know if you have ANY questions, I'm happy to help. Deep breaths, friends, you'll know soon! Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for offering your help! It really is helpful to hear from people who have been through the process. I guess I’m curious to know if you saw any trends in those that were accepted in your cohort? Any gre score trends? If the majority of people admitted were early submissions (October)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for offering your help! It really is helpful to hear from people who have been through the process. I guess I’m curious to know if you saw any trends in those that were accepted in your cohort? Any gre score trends? If the majority of people admitted were early submissions (October)?

That's a good question and I can honestly say no. The Department values diversity and differences in people, we all came from different places, schools, volunteer settings, etc. The pieces of the app packet are weighted equally and lower limits MUST be met for consideration. Imagine being a member of the faculty and they need to pick their incoming class based on these packets... the letters of rec and 500-word statement will make a greater impact than a GPA or GRE score. I, for example, only scored a 4 on the AWA and was accepted in mid November. Getting your application in early is as important as the website says. Rolling admissions mean you might not even be considered if you submit late. Also, I know it's not "easy" to figure out how to apply, but this is for very good reason. This is a graduate program and we are expected to figure things out on our own! So follow directions, submit early, meet minimum requirements, and shine in your letters, Evals, personal statement - those were, I assume, the only things my classmates and I had in common, and the greatest likelihood that we were chosen for the program.

Reactions: 1 users
I wanted to offer that my friend, a second-time fully qualified applicant, who submitted on 10/3 hasn't heard back yet. Sit tight, everyone. I know it's hard.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to offer that my friend, a second-time fully qualified applicant, who submitted on 10/3 hasn't heard back yet. Sit tight, everyone. I know it's hard.
That is really helpful! Also new best friends of this forum. Will someone please tell me to stop looking at people's negative reviews of OT. Ever since I found out I got into a school I have been freaking out and second guessing myself and I guess I'm wondering if other people are experiencing any similar feelings lol.

About looking at negative things about OT (or any job), remember a few things:
  1. A larger number of people will post online if they have a really strong reaction to something, either overwhelmingly positive or negative. Thus, when it comes to talking about a job online, more people with extreme emotions will be talking, so you're going to get a skewed sample. That's why voluntary surveys (or posts online) are not usually representative of the population.
  2. People are more likely to want to vent and talk about things after having a bad day. For example, I really enjoy my current job, but if you read my diary you would think I hated it. Thus, if you read about probably any profession online, you would see a lot of negative things. I think you can get a more representative sample by asking the people you shadowed what they feel about the profession.
  3. People will post over and over again on different websites (and sometimes using different usernames on the same website), so it can sometimes look like more people complaining than there actually are.
That being said, it's also good to go in with open eyes. There are certainly issues with any profession. That's why educating yourself and getting involved with advocacy through our professional organization is so important. So rather than always accepting issues, you can be a force of positive change.

For now, if you think you will enjoy the core of the work and the types of populations you will be working with, that probably means you are going in the right direction. I hope that helps!

Thanks s
About looking at negative things about OT (or any job), remember a few things:
  1. A larger number of people will post online if they have a really strong reaction to something, either overwhelmingly positive or negative. Thus, when it comes to talking about a job online, more people with extreme emotions will be talking, so you're going to get a skewed sample. That's why voluntary surveys (or posts online) are not usually representative of the population.
  2. People are more likely to want to vent and talk about things after having a bad day. For example, I really enjoy my current job, but if you read my diary you would think I hated it. Thus, if you read about probably any profession online, you would see a lot of negative things. I think you can get a more representative sample by asking the people you shadowed what they feel about the profession.
  3. People will post over and over again on different websites (and sometimes using different usernames on the same website), so it can sometimes look like more people complaining than there actually are.
That being said, it's also good to go in with open eyes. There are certainly issues with any profession. That's why educating yourself and getting involved with advocacy through our professional organization is so important. So rather than always accepting issues, you can be a force of positive change.

For now, if you think you will enjoy the core of the work and the types of populations you will be working with, that probably means you are going in the right direction. I hope that helps!

Thank you so much for the great reminders haha! I really needed them!

OKAY everyone I am putting all my mind-power into willing our acceptance letters come out this week! Lets keep our fingers crossed!

I'm a first year at SJSU and I facilitated last year's "support group" thread. I'm also applying to be the grad assistant for next year! Let me know if you have ANY questions, I'm happy to help. Deep breaths, friends, you'll know soon! Best of luck!
After you got in, how long did you have to claim your spot in the program? Just wondering, as I’m waiting on other programs too!

After you got in, how long did you have to claim your spot in the program? Just wondering, as I’m waiting on other programs too!

There was no hard deadline, but they did ask us to reply to our email acceptance within a reasonable amount of time because our spot could go to another applicant.

This wait is agonizing LOL. Anyone get in contact with the administration or heard anything back?

This wait is agonizing LOL. Anyone get in contact with the administration or heard anything back?

Hi everyone! I've been reading up on this forum for a few weeks now! I just emailed SJSU for an update and they're saying that the professors are juggling finals (this is their finals week) and looking at applications turned in on Oct 1st! So perhaps after finals, they'll have more time to look at the other apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I've been reading up on this forum for a few weeks now! I just emailed SJSU for an update and they're saying that the professors are juggling finals (this is their finals week) and looking at applications turned in on Oct 1st! So perhaps after finals, they'll have more time to look at the other apps.
This is true. Finals are over on the 20th and they are dealing with a change in staffing as well. I bet by early January a big round of acceptances will go out.

Last edited:
Not sure if they will be sending out acceptances before winter break — but just in case — best of luck to everyone this week!

Does anyone know the chances of being considered if the app’s not going to be verified until 1st/2nd week of January? I’m waiting for my grades to be posted to fulfill the minimum amount of prereqs needed. My OTCAS is verified, but with only 3 prereqs applicable to SJ. (If your not sure that BioPysch or multicultural psych will fulfill neuro/socio prereqs, are you guys still just going to add them into the OTCAS app?) I’m also trying to decide if I should retake the GRE the week after Christmas weekend to try to meet the min (I was 2 points below the min for verbal ): )

Does anyone know the chances of being considered if the app’s not going to be verified until 1st/2nd week of January? I’m waiting for my grades to be posted to fulfill the minimum amount of prereqs needed. My OTCAS is verified, but with only 3 prereqs applicable to SJ. (If your not sure that BioPysch or multicultural psych will fulfill neuro/socio prereqs, are you guys still just going to add them into the OTCAS app?) I’m also trying to decide if I should retake the GRE the week after Christmas weekend to try to meet the min (I was 2 points below the min for verbal ): )

There's always a chance. Can't give you an exact percentage, though. From one of the previous SJSU threads, it looked like ONE (n=1!!!) outstanding application sent in January (or later?) didn't get in on the sole basis that they applied too late.

I put in Bio Psych to fulfill the neuroscience prereq, but if they don't accept it, I don't mind taking it there.

Hi everyone! I got my conditional acceptance today! Best of luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 6 users

Congrats!! How awesome you have options now! Are you leaning more towards USC or SJSU now that you got into both?

Congratulations! That's awesome :) I'm surprised they're sending out acceptances during their winter break. This is making me nervous haha

God I'm so anxious now. My application was verified 10/9. It's coming up!

Congrats!! How awesome you have options now! Are you leaning more towards USC or SJSU now that you got into both?

Both are great schools so I know I can’t go wrong with either choice! I am leaning towards SJSU just because there is such a HUGE difference in tuition. However, I will be doing more research and making a lot of pros/cons lists before I make my decision.

Congratulations! That's awesome :) I'm surprised they're sending out acceptances during their winter break. This is making me nervous haha
I was also surprised to receive my acceptance since I assumed their offices were closed until early January. My application was timestamped on October 2nd, so it’s still early! Don’t worry :)

Hi everyone! I was sent an acceptance letter yesterday and just saw it in my inbox! I assumed they wouldn't send anything out during break, so hopefully others will be hearing soon as well. My application was time stamped October 1. Based on the stats I heard from others, I was thinking I wouldn't get in. It really shows that they are looking at an application holistically, rather than on a single variable (In my case I had work experience but did not have a huge # of volunteer hours, so I was worried about that). I hope everyone ends up in the same boat and hears back soon!

Reactions: 4 users
Also for reference, I got into USC 2 years ago but decided not to go because of the cost. I am definitely going to SJSU this time around. I can't imagine anything that would make a school worth going to for $100,000 more, but that's just me!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratz alliec!!!

Hm... This Fall 2017, I earned another 12 units with a 4.0. Do you think it would be possible (or worthwhile) to reach out to Tamara or someone at SJSU to tell them this and send in another official transcript?

For background, my last 36 of the 60 units was a 4.0, so if I have my last 48 units of 60 units as a 4.0, that's a big GPA boost for me for those last 60 by a wide margin (3.4 --> 3.8).

Both are great schools so I know I can’t go wrong with either choice! I am leaning towards SJSU just because there is such a HUGE difference in tuition. However, I will be doing more research and making a lot of pros/cons lists before I make my decision.
Locations are totally different as well. I’m sure you’ll love and do great wherever you end up! So happy for you

Congratz alliec!!!

Hm... This Fall 2017, I earned another 12 units with a 4.0. Do you think it would be possible (or worthwhile) to reach out to Tamara or someone at SJSU to tell them this and send in another official transcript?

For background, my last 36 of the 60 units was a 4.0, so if I have my last 48 units of 60 units as a 4.0, that's a big GPA boost for me for those last 60 by a wide margin (3.4 --> 3.8).

Heads up, you're suppose to complete an academic update via OTCAS by Feb 15! It asks for Fall grades and recalculates your GPA.

Heads up, you're suppose to complete an academic update via OTCAS by Feb 15! It asks for Fall grades and recalculates your GPA.

You just made my day... This is the best news I've heard all week! Just checked OTCAS on how to update it and it's so simple. Yay!

Congrats to everyone whose been accepted so far! :clap: Did everyone receive an email from Tamara stating when their application had been time stamped? I never did and now I'm getting nervous. Applied in early October. I also have been accepted to two other schools so I'm hoping I can hear back soon because they want a decision ASAP.

Congrats to everyone whose been accepted so far! :clap: Did everyone receive an email from Tamara stating when their application had been time stamped? I never did and now I'm getting nervous. Applied in early October. I also have been accepted to two other schools so I'm hoping I can hear back soon because they want a decision ASAP.

I emailed her and she told me what date my application was completed. It's not something they reach out to each applicant about.

What two other schools did you get into? Exciting!

I emailed her and she told me what date my application was completed. It's not something they reach out to each applicant about.

What two other schools did you get into? Exciting!

She had emailed me and informed me that she received my application packet but was still waiting on OTCAS verification. The website said it had been verified so I think I am okay but I'm just overthinking and stressing haha. Thank you! So far I have been accepted to UIC and USC.

She had emailed me and informed me that she received my application packet but was still waiting on OTCAS verification. The website said it had been verified so I think I am okay but I'm just overthinking and stressing haha. Thank you! So far I have been accepted to UIC and USC.

Nice. Yeah, I'm sure your application is fine since you got into two OTCAS schools already.

Good job getting into those schools! If you have any questions about USC, let me know. I've been volunteering at Keck Medical for the past 10 months and shadowed many OTD, OTR/L's who graduated from USC. I asked them so many questions and many had some good advice about USC.

Last edited:
Nice. Yeah, I'm sure your application is fine since you got into two OTCAS schools already.

Good job getting into those schools! If you have any questions about USC, let me know. I've been volunteering at Keck Medical for the past 10 months and shadowed many OTD, OTR/L's who graduated from USC. I asked them so many questions and many had some good advice about USC.
Thank you! :) I just heard back from SJSU a few minutes ago...and I was accepted! How was your experience volunteering at Keck? Both of my OT mentors are Trojans and they loved their experience.

Thank you! :) I just heard back from SJSU a few minutes ago...and I was accepted! How was your experience volunteering at Keck? Both of my OT mentors are Trojans and they loved their experience.

What?! Congratulations!!! I'm glad so many in this thread have made it in already! Makes me wish I got in my packet sooner. Mine is stamped Oct 31st -_-"

Keck is awesome. I can see myself in a hospital setting after shadowing and assisting the OT's there. I didn't even feel like a volunteer when I shadowed them. I felt like a student with the way they spoke and taught me. I learned a lot and took notes every time I went there. I have 13 pages of notes to look back on for things like assessments, diagnosis, treatments, etc. And I was exposed to so many different people. I really enjoyed working with neuro and cardio patients.

The rest of the staff was awesome too. The nurses were nice and I would chat with them when the OT's were busy. I remember coming in on July 4th and chatting with a nurse and he told me that I'll be fine and I'll get into a school and become an OT lol. I just met the person that day! Plus the OTs and PTs workload was very intertwined. So, it was a good look at how we work together.

What?! Congratulations!!! I'm glad so many in this thread have made it in already! Makes me wish I got in my packet sooner. Mine is stamped Oct 31st -_-"

Keck is awesome. I can see myself in a hospital setting after shadowing and assisting the OT's there. I didn't even feel like a volunteer when I shadowed them. I felt like a student with the way they spoke and taught me. I learned a lot and took notes every time I went there. I have 13 pages of notes to look back on for things like assessments, diagnosis, treatments, etc. And I was exposed to so many different people. I really enjoyed working with neuro and cardio patients.

The rest of the staff was awesome too. The nurses were nice and I would chat with them when the OT's were busy. I remember coming in on July 4th and chatting with a nurse and he told me that I'll be fine and I'll get into a school and become an OT lol. I just met the person that day! Plus the OTs and PTs workload was very intertwined. So, it was a good look at how we work together.

Is it difficult to become a volunteer at keck in the therapy? Is there an interview process or waitlist? I've never volunteered at a hospital before (only private pediatric clinics) because I know it can be very difficult and time consuming to get in.

CONGRATS! Do you happen to know when your application was verified? Im trying to get an idea of when I might be hearing?

Is it difficult to become a volunteer at keck in the therapy? Is there an interview process or waitlist? I've never volunteered at a hospital before (only private pediatric clinics) because I know it can be very difficult and time consuming to get in.

There's no interview, but there's a one-time orientation. Then you have to bring in documents for tb shot and a couple vaccines. Reaching the hospital's volunteer manager is a bit tough... but after a few emails, she responds lol.

There's no interview, but there's a one-time orientation. Then you have to bring in documents for tb shot and a couple vaccines. Reaching the hospital's volunteer manager is a bit tough... but after a few emails, she responds lol.
Thanks for the info! I'm considering volunteering there if I don't get off the waitlist for the only OT school (CSUDH) I applied to.

Hi all, after considering my options over winter break, I decided to accept my spot at SJSU :) I sincerely hope to see you all there!

Do you guys know what the tuition is at SJSU for in-state students?

Hi all, after considering my options over winter break, I decided to accept my spot at SJSU :) I sincerely hope to see you all there!

Ah! I want to see everyone there too! It would be pretty cool to meet everyone and continue the support through OT school too :)

Do you guys know what the tuition is at SJSU for in-state students?

I believe somewhere between $30,000 to $40,000. But just did a quick search and this says otherwise (lower lol): Cost of Attendance | Financial Aid and Scholarship Office | San Jose State University

OMGGG I JUST RECEIVED MY ACCEPTANCE GAHHH.

Ok. So I got verified 10/9, and here are my stats:

University: University of California, San Diego
Major: Public Health
Overall GPA: 3.82
Pre-Req GPA: 3.83 - 3.94
GRE: 156 V, 151 Q, 4.0 W (I honestly could have done better if I had put in the time)
Volunteer: Adult day health center (90 hrs), rehab department at a hospital (120 hrs), private hand therapy clinic (190 hrs; total as volunteer and rehab aide), pediatric therapy clinic (40 hrs)
Acceptances: SJSU!!!!!!!!
Rejections: None
Interviews: Samuel Merritt (01/13)

I think a lot of what helped me get accepted was the range in positions I had, as well as the hours I put into each one. And not just in OT volunteer positions! I did research during my undergrad and I was very proactive over the past few years, with general work, volunteer, and internships. My GRE was mediocre and I know I could have done better if I had tried harder (I honestly studied for maybe a week, and it was NOT quality studying either). I think my personal statement was pretty strong, even though I only had maybe two people (my age) look over them.

I'm debating if I should even wait for the other schools anymore at this point because cost is a HUGE factor for me, which is why I was anticipating SJSU the most.

But anyway, GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone!

I've followed this thread the last couple of months. I just received my acceptance into SJSU!!
My application was complete and verified October 10th. Wishing you all the very best of luck!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
@cgcOT @thekau congrats to you both!!!!! I was time stamped 10/05 so I'm assuming they have already reviewed my app but still holding out hope!
Did they notify you through mysjsu or was it straight to your email?

@cgcOT @thekau congrats to you both!!!!! I was time stamped 10/05 so I'm assuming they have already reviewed my app but still holding out hope!
Did they notify you through mysjsu or was it straight to your email?

By email.

Don't lose faith!

CONGRATS! Do you happen to know when your application was verified? Im trying to get an idea of when I might be hearing?
It was verified on 10/7/17. Best of luck to you! :)

Don't worry! You still submitted it within the first month, I don't think you'll have a problem. I am super excited for you to hear back! Wow, that sounds like an awesome experience. I love how they were supportive and took the time to teach you. That's the best volunteer experience you can ask for. Also, working with the neuro and cardio patients sounds very intriguing. I volunteered at an inpatient rehabilitation hospital in Santa Barbara and I loved working in the hospital setting. Although there I definitely felt like a shadow more than a volunteer at times. I cannot wait until we start our fieldwork :D