Other OT-Related Information SJSU 2017/2018 Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@cgcOT @thekau congrats to you both!!!!! I was time stamped 10/05 so I'm assuming they have already reviewed my app but still holding out hope!
Did they notify you through mysjsu or was it straight to your email?

I was also notified by e-mail. Sending good vibes your way!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my acceptance to SJSU via email. My application though CalState Apply was submitted on 10/12/17

Reactions: 2 users
I received my acceptance a few days ago and it still feels unreal. Hoping many of u guys waiting get the same feeling soon. This is my second year applying and I learned a lot about myself having to wait another year. They truly do look at the whole package instead of just looking at the numbers. If your stats are low (like mine), you can still makeup for it with your letter of recs and personal statement. I was fortunate enough to get great letter of reqs after building close relationships. I also worked on my personal statement for a long time and really tried to reflect on my upbringing and how it made me want to go into this career. I also think being a minority helped my chances as well.

Undergrad GPA: 3.4
Last 60: 3.7
Prereq: All As and a B in stats
GRE: 153 verbal 151 math 4.0 writing
Volunteer: Over 1000 hours spread amongst rehab aide job, outpatient rehab, SNF, and hand therapy
Recomendations: 5 outstanding letter of reqs from my anatomy professor, 2 OTs, and 2 PTs.
English is not my first language so I really struggled with the verbal portion of the GRE. Reading comprehension was the hardest thing in the world to conquer. The first time I applied I did not meet the minimum requirements for the GRE. It was one of the toughest years of my life..
For anyone who unfortunately doesn't get it the first time, know that you can improve yourself. I truly believe SJSU really likes second time applicants who awoke hard to improve themselves. If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to message me.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations kat7575 and HumbleOT!!! Thanks for the update of app dates and your stats. It helps a bit with the nervousness of waiting haha

Reactions: 1 user
I received my acceptance last night!!!! I have accepted as sjsu is my first choice. My app was dated 10/05. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

University: San Jose State, 2016
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Reqs: all As and a B in stats
GRE: 156v 150q 4.0 writing
Volunteer: total of about 500 hours in inpatient hospital, school, outpatient pediatrics clinics, hand rehab clinic, skilled nursing facility
Work: OT aide, instructional assistant
3 Recommendations: writing/psych professor, school OT/coworker, pediatric OT at peds clinic

Had personal statement reviewed by 5 pple (OTs, friends and family)

Applied: sjsu, Samuel Merritt, dominican, csu Dominguez Hills, St. Augustine San Marcos, Loma Linda was
Acceptances: sjsu, Samuel Merritt
Rejections: csu Dominguez hills
Interviews: Loma Linda

Reactions: 3 users
Hello congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone waiting. I was also accepted about a week or so ago and have accepted since SJSU was my first choice!

Question for those accepted: I've been traveling so I haven't seen if I've gotten an official offer in the mail. Is there a certain date we have to put a deposit down by or any other action we need to take soon? I emailed my decision but was wondering if there was anything else we have to do?

Hello congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone waiting. I was also accepted about a week or so ago and have accepted since SJSU was my first choice!

Question for those accepted: I've been traveling so I haven't seen if I've gotten an official offer in the mail. Is there a certain date we have to put a deposit down by or any other action we need to take soon? I emailed my decision but was wondering if there was anything else we have to do?

Hi! I was confused about this too but I figured it out. Once you have emailed Gigi back with your decision, you are good to go! Soon, Tamara will invite you to our cohort Facebook page :)

Also — a couple days after receiving my admissions email (Dec 27), I received a snail mail letter (1/4). The snailmail tells you which prereqs you still need to complete. And that’s about it!

Lastly, don’t expect your MySJSU portal to change, as mine still says “Referred to Grad Department.”

Good question though. Do you guys know if there is a date we need to submit our acceptance by? I'm most likely going to attend SJSU, but I do want to hear back from certain schools before I commit.

Hi everyone, I received my acceptance email from Dr. Smith today! SJSU is in my top 2 -- hoping to hear from my in-state university soon. Per Tamara, my application was ready for review on 10/16. I hope great news are on the horizon for all of you!

Hi everyone, I received my acceptance email from Dr. Smith today! SJSU is in my top 2 -- hoping to hear from my in-state university soon. Per Tamara, my application was ready for review on 10/16. I hope great news are on the horizon for all of you!
CONGRATS on your acceptance! I will admit that hearing that your application was ready on the 16th has made me very nervous because mine was on the 11th

CONGRATS on your acceptance! I will admit that hearing that your application was ready on the 16th has made me very nervous because mine was on the 11th
Hang in there! Best of luck to you

I talked to Tamara last night and she said that they have just gotten to reviewing individuals whose apps were stamped for review on the 19th!

Also just wondering has anyone heard back with a rejection? I am wondering since they have already passed my application and sent acceptances to those who got theirs in after mine if that means I will eventually hear back with a rejection....

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just wondering has anyone heard back with a rejection? I am wondering since they have already passed my application and sent acceptances to those who got theirs in after mine if that means I will eventually hear back with a rejection....

I felt the same way when I saw people accepted whose apps were dated after mine. Then, I got an acceptance. So there is still hope and a good chance you will be accepted. I imagine rejections wouldn't go out so soon.

Oh thank god! In a way I wish that they sent them out concurrently because for those of us who are keeping eye over when others get in, it is a little discouraging to have that feeling that you might have to wait a month or longer just to find something out that you already have a gut feeling about lol

They typically do not send rejection letters until March. If it were the case they already passed your application, this does not mean you are already rejected. Since SJSU does rolling admissions, they could go back to your application in the event that all other subsequent applicants do not meet the requirement/not what they are looking for. Essentially, you are still in the running as long as you meet their minimum requirements & even if they passed your application stamped review date. So there is still a chance for you & everyone else!

I think I took all the prereqs. For Neuroanatomy, I put in a Biological Psychology course. If they don't accept that, I'd take it at SJSU in the summer. Or if I found out sooner, I'd take that UCLA one everyone was talking about it in other, older SJSU threads.

What's the neuro course from ucla?? or could you link me to the older posts about it?!

Hi Everyone! I also got a conditional acceptance from SJSU! (I'm actually going to withdraw from CSUDH last minute so that I can go to SJSU since that is my first choice). I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the Neuroanatomy summer course at SJSU? Is it a hard course? Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hi Everyone! I also got a conditional acceptance from SJSU! (I'm actually going to withdraw from CSUDH last minute so that I can go to SJSU since that is my first choice). I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the Neuroanatomy summer course at SJSU? Is it a hard course? Can't wait to meet everyone!
Congrats!!! I'm currently waitlisted for CSUDH (my top & only school I applied to) & was hoping someone who got accepted to CSUDH would also get accepted to SJSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Congratulations! The suspense is killing me now lol. I haven't heard anything about the Neuroanatomy course, but, from taking Bio Psych, it seems like a very interesting area of study :)

Do you know when your application was confirmed? Trying to get a sense of when they'll get to my application which was stamped on 10/31 >.<

Congratulations! The suspense is killing me now lol. I haven't heard anything about the Neuroanatomy course, but, from taking Bio Psych, it seems like a very interesting area of study :)

Do you know when your application was confirmed? Trying to get a sense of when they'll get to my application which was stamped on 10/31 >.<

My application was confirmed 10/17! Hope that helps! Good luck!

Hello everyone! I've been trying to keep up with most people in the thread and I finally got everything approved through my.sjsu today, but it hasn't reached the department just yet. I know everyone has been recommending to apply as early as possible and I was wondering if anyone has heard of people getting accepted for those who applied in January? I'm kind of worried especially since it's rolling admissions but hoping to keep my spirits high.

Did anyone who got a conditional acceptance through email receive their official letter of conditional acceptance through snail-mail yet?!

Congrats on your acceptance to SJSU! Have you already withdrawn from CSUDH already? I am also waitlisted for CSUDH, but also am waiting for SJSU. CSUDH is my first choice and SJSU is my 2nd. This will be my 2nd time applying to SJSU. Good luck everyone & congrats to all those already accepted!

Hello everyone! I've been trying to keep up with most people in the thread and I finally got everything approved through my.sjsu today, but it hasn't reached the department just yet. I know everyone has been recommending to apply as early as possible and I was wondering if anyone has heard of people getting accepted for those who applied in January? I'm kind of worried especially since it's rolling admissions but hoping to keep my spirits high.
There have been people in the past that have applied in January and have gotten accepted, however, it really depends on the applicant pool that submitted before you. There have been cases where the cohort got full before February. There have been cases where it did NOT get full till April. To get a better idea of how "full" the cohort is, I would ask someone who was already accepted recently to check how many people are in the Facebook group already. But I believe as long as you are a qualified strong candidate you still have a chance.

I received my acceptance last night!!!! I have accepted as sjsu is my first choice. My app was dated 10/05. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

University: San Jose State, 2016
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.63
Pre-Reqs: all As and a B in stats
GRE: 156v 150q 4.0 writing
Volunteer: total of about 500 hours in inpatient hospital, school, outpatient pediatrics clinics, hand rehab clinic, skilled nursing facility
Work: OT aide, instructional assistant
3 Recommendations: writing/psych professor, school OT/coworker, pediatric OT at peds clinic

Had personal statement reviewed by 5 pple (OTs, friends and family)

Applied: sjsu, Samuel Merritt, dominican, csu Dominguez Hills, St. Augustine San Marcos, Loma Linda was
Acceptances: sjsu, Samuel Merritt
Rejections: csu Dominguez hills
Interviews: Loma Linda
If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear back from samuel merritt?

There are 26 people in the group right now. However, there is usually a huge Bach of acceptance in February.

I hate to be that guy... But an acceptance in January is highly unlikely unless you have a 4.0 and perfect GRE scores with outstanding recommendations. Even then.. still would have to get lucky. I have seen applicants with amazing stats get rejected because they applied in November. You're really at a disadvantage when you apply late because of how many applicants SJSU gets.

Did anyone who got a conditional acceptance through email receive their official letter of conditional acceptance through snail-mail yet?!
I received my department letter in the mail about a 1.5 weeks after my email. Then a week after that, I received a letter from SJSU’s graduate department and it came with a certificate of acceptance!

There have been people in the past that have applied in January and have gotten accepted, however, it really depends on the applicant pool that submitted before you. There have been cases where the cohort got full before February. There have been cases where it did NOT get full till April. To get a better idea of how "full" the cohort is, I would ask someone who was already accepted recently to check how many people are in the Facebook group already. But I believe as long as you are a qualified strong candidate you still have a chance.
I received an email regarding my acceptance to the program two days ago. Ive already decided to attend csudh and will give up my spot at sjsu. Just putting this out there for those hoping to get into sjsu!

I received an email regarding my acceptance to the program two days ago. Ive already decided to attend csudh and will give up my spot at sjsu. Just putting this out there for those hoping to get into sjsu!

Congratz on getting into both and attending CSUDH. I have a friend who will be in the same cohort as you. Thanks for giving up your spot at SJSU so we have a fighting chance haha

Side question: Do you know when your application was verified for SJSU? Lol still trying to gauge when they will reach my app.

Congrats on your acceptance to SJSU! Have you already withdrawn from CSUDH already? I am also waitlisted for CSUDH, but also am waiting for SJSU. CSUDH is my first choice and SJSU is my 2nd. This will be my 2nd time applying to SJSU. Good luck everyone & congrats to all those already accepted!
Yes, I have already withdrawn from CSUDH already! Best of luck!!

There are 26 people in the group right now. However, there is usually a huge Bach of acceptance in February.

Anyone who got accepted already and is in the FB group know if there has been an increase since the 26? I don't know if I'm tormenting myself by keeping count or setting my eyes on the prize haha

Anyone who got accepted already and is in the FB group know if there has been an increase since the 26? I don't know if I'm tormenting myself by keeping count or setting my eyes on the prize haha
There's 31 students in the group right now!

There's 31 students in the group right now!

Thanks for the update! Since my app was verified on Oct 31, I think my app got put into the "review again later" pile by now :'( Oh well, I gotta stay hopeful! Congrats to everyone who made it in so far. Everyone else who's in my shoes, let's somehow stay positive and keep diligently working toward getting into OT school!

Thanks for the update! Since my app was verified on Oct 31, I think my app got put into the "review again later" pile by now :'( Oh well, I gotta stay hopeful! Congrats to everyone who made it in so far. Everyone else who's in my shoes, let's somehow stay positive and keep diligently working toward getting into OT school!
On the bright side, Tamara is one of those 31 so 30. Fingers crossed not all decide to go to SJSU. I’m a third time applicant. I moved to San Jose last year in hopes of getting in this year!

On the bright side, Tamara is one of those 31 so 30. Fingers crossed not all decide to go to SJSU. I’m a third time applicant. I moved to San Jose last year in hopes of getting in this year!
There's actually 32 but the person above already accounted for Tamara. Hang in there guys there's usually a batch of acceptances early Feb.

For anyone that needs it, here's a list of approved and non-approved neuroanatomy courses I recently got from Tamara. I'll be taking PSY 250 at CSUN starting this monday. Best of luck everyone!

Attachments

• Neuroanatomy.xlsx
    14.3 KB · Views: 90
For anyone that needs it, here's a list of approved and non-approved neuroanatomy courses I recently got from Tamara. I'll be taking PSY 250 at CSUN starting this monday. Best of luck everyone!

Interesting to see that SJSU's own class titled "Psy 129: Neuroscience" is not acceptable for SJSU lol but I guess that's too different from neuroanatomy.

Thank you so much for posting this list! I just received my conditional acceptance and need to complete this course.

Do any of you guys know what the cost is to take the neuro class at UCLA extension? I tried to search it up, but their website's very dodgy about it. I'm considering taking it at SJSU but it seems it runs at about $280 per unit (if I'm doing my research correctly) and the neuro class is 3 units. So it'd cost about $840 total. But I assume there will be additional fees that need to be paid as well.

Thank you so much for posting this list! I just received my conditional acceptance and need to complete this course.
of course! :) it would be nice to knock it out before summer if possible!

Do any of you guys know what the cost is to take the neuro class at UCLA extension? I tried to search it up, but their website's very dodgy about it. I'm considering taking it at SJSU but it seems it runs at about $280 per unit (if I'm doing my research correctly) and the neuro class is 3 units. So it'd cost about $840 total. But I assume there will be additional fees that need to be paid as well.

I'm not sure, I also had a hard time determining UCLA extension costs. I'm about to take it at CSUN and enrolled through Open University and ended up paying $1,056 for the course. Crazy expensive but I guess have to get used to it. Does anyone know the estimated tuition for the entire MOT program? I've heard numbers around $30,000 -$60,000. Any current SJSU OT students have a better estimate?

Hi Guys!

I received my acceptance 12/27 and was so shocked & thrilled when I read the email. I took the UCLA extension neuro class and paid $700 (I used a coupon code to get 10% off), definitely seems like one of the cheapest options out there. The class wasn't too difficult and I enjoyed the subject matter. FYI this was my second time applying to SJSU.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello all!

Does anyone know how far along they are at reviewing applications? Like have they finished reviewing all the applications stamped in October? Thanks!

Hello all!

Does anyone know how far along they are at reviewing applications? Like have they finished reviewing all the applications stamped in October? Thanks!

I have no idea. Anyone in the SJSU FB group see an increase from the 31 students already in it from January 18th?

I have no idea. Anyone in the SJSU FB group see an increase from the 31 students already in it from January 18th?

As of right now there are only 38 people in the facebook group so plenty of more spots!

As of right now there are only 38 people in the facebook group so plenty of more spots!

I see it as there are so few spots left haha now I'm really sure they got through October apps already and are probably into November ones. Eek!