SN2'd first day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT: This was supposed to be a thread about the first day of SN2. However as with all intelligent life, things evolve. This thread has now become a support page for people following the SN2 plan. You can think of it as Alcoholics Anonymous for people studying to take the MCAT using the SN2 plan.

EDIT July 1, 2014:
If you are interested in @mehc012's Anki Deck, DO NOT SEND A PM. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7if6wgaif98rkoa/mehc012 SN2edCh4s.apkg
**A NOTE: @mehc012 and several others (myself included) want to tell you guys that studying from another person's deck will probably not be as beneficial to you as creating your own cards. Yes you can take advantage of @mehc012's generosity, but you won't get the same advantage. Study the material. Create cards as you go along. You will find it more helpful to your studying. **

EDIT July 22, 2014:
The following is @TBRBiosadist's official MCAT Verbal Reasoning Strategy:
@TBRBiosadist's strategy that got [him] from a 7 average to scoring 13-15 average..

Spend the bulk of your time reading. Up to 3 minutes per passage.
  • Read the first and last paragraph thoroughly to begin with. Understand what the authors main point will be because 90% of questions require nothing more than a general idea.
  • After this, read the entire passage slowly enough where you dont feel like you need to reread sentences for understanding.
Next is just answer questions, there is a few tricks here that work about 90% of the time
  • Unless the passage is asking you about a specific detail, dont look back. READ EVERY ANSWER THOROUGLY AND THEN Answer what makes sense from the general point of the passage. Its very easy to prove a wrong answer to be somewhat correct if you dig hard enough, dont. Answer what your gut says and move onto the next question, dont contemplate to much. With that being said...
  • Answer like you were dropped on the head as a child. Alot of times if Im arguing between two answers, there is the answer that is 100% correct, and one that is 90% correct. Be an idoit and choose the one that seems like it is correct. However.....
  • "Always" is a word to avoid. If an answer uses this word, or definites like it, it is something to avoid. I would say 80% of the time the wishy washy answer is more correct then the highly affirmative one. This leads to my final point....
  • 100% of the time you are not actually looking for the "right" answer in verbal, this isnt PS or BS where 1+1 almost always equals 2 (unless we are talking about the different sedimentation values for Ribosomes). In verbal you are looking for the answer that isnt wrong. Often times an answer will seem very "right" but one aspect of it is clearly wrong, as compared to an answer that isnt wrong, but doesnt seem as right as that answer, these are meant to fool you. Choose the answer that isnt wrong.
I understand that I few of these tips may be at odds with each other. Ultimately you must adjust slightly for each passage, but it comes down to one thing. Read thoroughly. Read every sentence in the passage. Read every question. Read every answer. Then the correct answer will be fairly obvious. This may seem like it takes longer, but it takes much less time than skimming, and then trying to find the correct information later.

Or to summarize in one sentence

Understand what the hell the author is arguing

EDIT July 26, 2014:

@DoctorInASaree uploaded a guide to Verbal Reasoning. If you're interested, it's worth a look. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2byivymmqwlvjms/MCAT VR Primer DRSAREE.pdf

EDIT 2, July 26, 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sn2d-first-day.1074344/page-52#post-15510851

The first day is BR physics chapter (translational motion) + 1/3 of the passages. I felt like I wasn't able to apply the stuff I read into the stuff I was tested on.

Has anyone felt this way when following the schedule? It just seems like the contents of the chapter didn't really stick in my head when I took the practice passages. Will this improve over time?

EDIT 3, March 4, 2015:

For verbal, if you are feeling lost and confused, I highly highly recommend you to look into the MCAT Strategy Course by @Jack Westin. I've been working with him, and nothing comes close to his course and teaching. It's a strategy course, so it will cover everything, not just the VR/CARS section.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all! What have I missed in the past month? Any major news?

Someone fill me in!
A good chunk of people have taken their exams, scores are beginning to trickle in, others are in the interminable land of waiting, and Saree published her VR strategy. Welcome back!

Reactions: 1 users
A good chunk of people have taken their exams, scores are beginning to trickle in, others are in the interminable land of waiting, and Saree published her VR strategy. Welcome back!

That is much less drama than I am used to in this thread. You're holding back!

And I just keep calm by repeating in my head

"45 until proven otherwise"

...I am torn between wanting to know my real score and not wanting to destroy that happy little head-canon. But of course, I'll be right there with everyone else at 2pm SHARP on the 30th :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
That is much less drama than I am used to in this thread. You're holding back!
Ehhhh, people's drama is their own - they can share it with you. I can only share mine, lest I risk being a tool, and I have been relatively undramatic other than a debate over the new MCAT and whether it's a pointless waste (my opinion) or not!

And I just keep calm by repeating in my head

"45 until proven otherwise"

...I am torn between wanting to know my real score and not wanting to destroy that happy little head-cannon. But of course, I'll be right there with everyone else at 2pm SHARP on the 30th :laugh:

OH YOU TOOK IT! How did you feel?

Ehhhh, people's drama is their own - they can share it with you. I can only share mine, lest I risk being a tool, and I have been relatively undramatic other than a debate over the new MCAT and whether it's a pointless waste (my opinion) or not!

New MCAT has one goal and one goal only. Reduce attrition so that med schools keep more money by selecting more 'cream of the crop' students.

OH YOU TOOK IT! How did you feel?
I felt really, really good. Caught a few stupid mistakes before moving on, so I think I avoided many of the silly misreads which usually pull my scores down. Either that or I did twice as many as usual and then pulled myself back to my average! I feel solidly like I hit my average FL score (or even, perhaps, pushed a bit above), but it's the MCAT, so I suppose you never know :shrug:

How'd they score??
I hope its ok with them that i say this but they both got a awesome score of 35.... Know @TBRBiosadist is a little disappointed with that but hopefully he will see he worked hard and will get in where he wants to .. Both of them did really well congrats

SOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people in that thread got well below their average, me included. That test shafted us.

Yea I haven't been on here in forever. Was dealing with intense family issues and was quite depressed. Lost a good 5 days of studying. Hope I can still be ready by Nov 7th, don't want to prolong at this point.

:(

spoke too soon. Just scored 83% on TBR o-chem chapter 3. I tend to stress myself out more than I need to

Members don't see this ad :)
The new research girl working beside me is the most beautiful blonde with captivating blue eyes, I have been nothing but cold and distant to her because I know if I start having convos I will accumulate wasted time talking and texting .. The funny thing is this is a struggle for me ha ha ha O well back to studying .. Guess its time to grow up and stop being a wolf/dog

blasphemy! deep inside I never want to grow up. Nobody's going to kill the mischievous jovial kid peeking behind those short shorts inside of me :smuggrin:

I hope its ok with them that i say this but they both got a awesome score of 35.... Know @TBRBiosadist is a little disappointed with that but hopefully he will see he worked hard and will get in where he wants to .. Both of them did really well congrats

I think they both got 35's.

Edit: You know you're a SDN celebrity (at least on the MCAT subforum) when other people know your MCAT scores lol.

I forgot they were part of the other August thread too.

I think they did great. At SDN people want the best scores possible which isn't always probable because the nature of the exam isn't like the AAMC practice exams. But i think that those scores are amazing and after looking st TBRbiosadists list of ECs I think he'll have an easy time getting into a cali school.

SOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people in that thread got well below their average, me included. That test shafted us.

dude you will be more than fine!! :) My resume is nothing compared to yours and I'm super relieved you're aiming for Cali Schools since I'm in NY

Thanks brother

11/11/13. I am happy. Definitely have done better on the practice exams but pretty much got my average. Thanks for all of your support!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
What would you say is one of the things that helped you BEST prepare to achieve this score?

CONGRATULATIONS!!
What would you say is one of the things that helped you BEST prepare to achieve this score?

SN2ed's schedule + actively reading with curiosity. Never letting myself continue reading if I didn't understand something. And finally the support of you wonderful people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
SN2ed's schedule + actively reading with curiosity. Never letting myself continue reading if I didn't understand something. And finally the support of you wonderful people.
Great! Were you scoring high on each batch of thirds, and did you ever fall behind in schedule?

Yeah dude I just read the 8/15 thread. It really sounds like you guys had a brutal curve. Weird because I know of two people who took a July exam and both of them scored 3-4 points above their average.

Yeah dude I just read the 8/15 thread. It really sounds like you guys had a brutal curve. Weird because I know of two people who took a July exam and both of them scored 3-4 points above their average.
Annoyed, but im not going to retake. Its a good enough score to make me competitive and get me into a cali school. And its the average for my dream school anyways (not that I expect to get in at all). Overall feeling cheated, but ya know, **** the MCAT.

Great! Were you scoring high on each batch of thirds, and did you ever fall behind in schedule?

It varied in topics but I tried to always learn why I got that question wrong.

I definitely fell behind but never on the daily chapter. On rereads though I would. I personally found rereading essential.

Im mobile now so sorry about the brevity of the message

Annoyed, but im not going to retake. Its a good enough score to make me competitive and get me into a cali school. And its the average for my dream school anyways (not that I expect to get in at all). Overall feeling cheated, but ya know, **** the MCAT.

Yeah I saw your credentials dude. You are perfectly fine and competitive nearly everywhere.

I just started the SN2 plan this week. I'm studying off of the 3 month plan, even though my test isn't until 1/8. This will be my 3rd time taking the MCAT, but in reality the other two times I only studied a handful of times. Of course, those two scores were several points below what I would need to get into my desired school. The study plan is already kicking my butt, but I'm actually...enjoying it. Maybe not so much the repetition and failure to understand certain concepts, but the satisfaction of figuring it out and nailing the practice problems. Did anyone else feel that way or am I just strange? o_O

I just started the SN2 plan this week. I'm studying off of the 3 month plan, even though my test isn't until 1/8. This will be my 3rd time taking the MCAT, but in reality the other two times I only studied a handful of times. Of course, those two scores were several points below what I would need to get into my desired school. The study plan is already kicking my butt, but I'm actually...enjoying it. Maybe not so much the repetition and failure to understand certain concepts, but the satisfaction of figuring it out and nailing the practice problems. Did anyone else feel that way or am I just strange? o_O
Nah, I get that! It is also very satisfying to make visible progress, which the SN2ed plan lends itself to. I posted a list of all SN2ed tasks on my wall and just crossed them off as I went, and it felt great! Seriously, there was no better feeling than crossing those things off.

Reactions: 2 users
It varied in topics but I tried to always learn why I got that question wrong.

I definitely fell behind but never on the daily chapter. On rereads though I would. I personally found rereading essential.

Im mobile now so sorry about the brevity of the message

Great score man! and @TBRBiosadist !

You guys will do great getting into whatever school it is that you want.

Quick question: Was your exam calculation heavy?

Just got violated by the physics SA--FREAKING 70%. I honestly thought the passages in that thing were quite difficult and almost incomprehensible. Oh well, I have over a month till the big dance--and will be happy with 10-11 on PS. Got 76% on chem for reference. But should've gotten low 80's on that…made some real dumb mistakes and was rushing. But for the physics I have no excuses.

Last edited:
Just got violated by the physics SA--FREAKING 70%. I honestly thought the passages in that thing were quite difficult and almost incomprehensible. Oh well, I have over a month till the big dance--and will be happy with 10-11 on PS. Got 76% on chem for reference. But should've gotten low 80's on that…made some real dumb mistakes and was rushing. But for the physics I have no excuses--that just straight raped me. Fackkk

have you been doing passages from TBR for gen chem and physics?

have you been doing passages from TBR for gen chem and physics?
Yeah I actually have. In TBR physics I average 65%. And in gen chem I am like 80-85%. I mean the average for the physics was 54% so hopefully this doesn't mean I am completely hopeless. I take on 10/25.

Yeah I actually have. In TBR physics I average 65%. And in gen chem I am like 80-85%. I mean the average for the physics was 54% so hopefully this doesn't mean I am completely hopeless. I take on 10/25.

AAMC passages are deliberately convoluted to distract you from the information you really need. If I'm stuck on a passage, I read the questions first and try my best to scan the passage to look for the vital information I need. With that said having a strong conceptual understanding of physics is more important. TBR explains it really well IMO so try re-reading some of the chapters you're weak in.

AAMC passages are deliberately convoluted to distract you from the information you really need. If I'm stuck on a passage, I read the questions first and try my best to scan the passage to look for the vital information I need. With that said having a strong conceptual understanding of physics is more important. TBR explains it really well IMO so try re-reading some of the chapters you're weak in.

I agree with TBR doing a nice job. However, I spent a ton of time doing content review because I took detailed notes on the TBR books. With me closing in on a month out you think I am better off re-reading or just doing tons of problems? I haven't been able to do as many problems as I would like due to the content review. I also purchased the GS FL's cause I heard they are great practice for PS--so want to fit those in as well. Of course I will re-read if I feel I am missing something. But I feel I just need to do tons of problems at this point.

up to you. If you're getting less than 10's on PS and BS then its definitely a content issue. If above then I would focus on practice problems and heavy post gaming

Just got violated by the physics SA--FREAKING 70%. I honestly thought the passages in that thing were quite difficult and almost incomprehensible. Oh well, I have over a month till the big dance--and will be happy with 10-11 on PS. Got 76% on chem for reference. But should've gotten low 80's on that…made some real dumb mistakes and was rushing. But for the physics I have no excuses -- Fackkk
Really? C'monnnnnnnn

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Really? C'monnnnnnnn

images

I am calm, however I'm still annoyed that they would use such a ridiculous comparison so unnecessarily. And please, don't tell me to calm down for simply pointing out, with out insults or vitriol, that I dislike something- it's a little patronizing

how many months did you study?
also, did you work along with studying?

any tips to improve verbal? like active read what kind of sources and how often?
I am just painfully bad at verbal.

And CONGRATS on your score!
I was always rooting for you!
you totally deserved it -- good job!

how many months did you study? also, did you work along with studying?

~100 days. I did work while I studied, but not terribly hard and not too many hours a week.

any tips to improve verbal? like active read what kind of sources and how often?
I am just painfully bad at verbal.

I basically used EK verbal strategies and I sucked for a while trying to find the main idea and more importantly, how the AAMC likes to test the main idea. For me, it was about intent focus on the passage reading for the main point. It took about 2 to 2.5 months for verbal to click for me. I only used TPRH and AAMC's. I gave up on EK 101 very quickly.

And CONGRATS on your score!
I was always rooting for you!
you totally deserved it -- good job!

Thanks! I'm rooting for you too.

I am calm, however I'm still annoyed that they would use such a ridiculous comparison so unnecessarily. And please, don't tell me to calm down for simply pointing out, with out insults or vitriol, that I dislike something- it's a little patronizing

3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd836295a829a62c17c45770fd64.jpg

chill out guys. This test is already stressful as it is. Let's try to remove those sticks up our orifices :p

I'm honestly more upset by comments like yours, which imply that it's ridiculous for me to dislike that colloquialism, than I was by the original comment. the initial comment is a slip of the mind, just not thinking about the fact that it might bother people. The rest of these reactions are just blatant 'I don't care if that bothers you stop being uptight', when really it's fairly simple to see that it might bother some people, for non-ridiculous reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I'm honestly more upset by comments like yours and silly Joe's, which imply that it's ridiculous for me to dislike that colloquialism, than I was by the original comment. the initial comment is a slip of the mind, just not thinking about the fact that it might bother people. The rest of these reactions are just blatant 'I don't care if that bothers you stop being uptight', when really it's fairly simple to see that it might bother some people, for non-ridiculous reasons.

How exactly did I get dragged into this?

Aka the phone notified me that you had replied to the thread when in fact the response that it showed me was somebody else's. Had I realized that it was all lazy indy, I would not have responded in the first place because he's on my ignore list for a reason. I wish that SDN would fix the Tapatalk glitch where it shows things from your ignore list

No one in this thread seems to be bothered by the original comment except for you. You're the one who's trying to stir up arguments for the sake of attention. @bambam92 's used that word in a light hearted way and my response to your reply was also light hearted. If you're really that disgruntled then go to a social activist forum. We're just having fun and helping each other through the grind here.

No one in this thread seems to be bothered by the original comment except for you. You're the one who's trying to stir up arguments for the sake of attention. @bambam92 's used that word in a light hearted way and my response to your reply was also light hearted. If you're really that disgruntled then go to a social activist forum. We're just having fun and helping each other through the grind here.

I think @mehc012's point is that one cannot use that phrase in a light-hearted manner. This was discussed in the Allopathic forum a month ago, with respect to a specific user, and the conclusion was that not only is such a phrase unprofessional and unbecoming of a medical student, but also categorically disrespectful.

Also, for what it's worth, I liked her post.