So... I'm bad at math.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boidae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, a lot of people ask this, but it's been really bothering me lately. I'm in a community college right now and transferring to a dual vet tech/pre-vet major at Mercy College. I'm taking trigonometry and it's a constant reminder that math is not my forte.

When I took my SATs, I did abysmal in the math section and aced the English. It really discouraged me and it took a long time for me to get back on track to achieving my goals. This won't hinder my progress, will it? I've always pulled off straight As in everything else. I'm not doing bad in trig right now--I still have an A, but it takes a LOT of studying to get it.

My mother told me to pursue a language arts degree but veterinary science is where my heart lies, even if it takes me extra effort. I hope this won't hinder me too much. :/

Members don't see this ad.

There is a reason calculators were invented. ;)

The only math I have had to do in vet school is simple algebra and unit conversions.

I know, I know, a lot of people ask this, but it's been really bothering me lately. I'm in a community college right now and transferring to a dual vet tech/pre-vet major at Mercy College. I'm taking trigonometry and it's a constant reminder that math is not my forte.

When I took my SATs, I did abysmal in the math section and aced the English. It really discouraged me and it took a long time for me to get back on track to achieving my goals. This won't hinder my progress, will it? I've always pulled off straight As in everything else. I'm not doing bad in trig right now--I still have an A, but it takes a LOT of studying to get it.

My mother told me to pursue a language arts degree but veterinary science is where my heart lies, even if it takes me extra effort. I hope this won't hinder me too much. :/

I am in the same exact boat. I was put in intermediate math...scraped by with a C, got a B in College algebra. I try to do my very best in math but barely scrapped a C in statistics and I actually managed to get a 100% on my last calculus exam, which I have no idea how that happened. Dumb luck and a bunch of studying, maybe? Lol. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just do strong in the rest of your classes and make sure you try to score high on your GRE and do plenty of experience hours.

If you know what you want to do and have a plan on how you will do it, chances are you will succeed. I had someone tell me my freshman year of college, right out of high school that I shouldn't pursue CVM because of my math scores...I changed my major and ended up very unhappy and with a bunch of Humanities and English credits that I did not want, or need. Go with your gut, do your best.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
The only part you might be concerned about is the math section in the GRE, and really the best advice for that is to just study for it - I went to a used book store (Half-Price Books) and bought a perfectly good GRE prep book and it was extremely helpful. I think if you prepare well for that, you should be good to go

The only part you might be concerned about is the math section in the GRE, and really the best advice for that is to just study for it - I went to a used book store (Half-Price Books) and bought a perfectly good GRE prep book and it was extremely helpful. I think if you prepare well for that, you should be good to go

I agree. Math has always been my forte, but another thing I would suggest, based on my experience with my students (as I'm also a tutor), is to invest in a good tutor, preferably one that understands how to apply mathematical knowledge to standardized tests or even one who's able to explain one concept in a variety of ways; oftentimes, when it comes to my students, it's not that they don't get the math but more that they need it presented in a creative way that you don't necessarily get in class. Most colleges have student tutors employed, as well, so in addition to discussion sections where you can go over the homework and internalise the concepts, you should have resources as far as getting additional help as well, if you find you ever need it. :) I would also suggest a GRE prep book. I'm not yet a veterinary student, but I've been told that even though having a calculus series might look good on an application, all you need is up through Pre-Calc & Trig, so my assumption is once you've gotten your Trig out of the way, the most you'll need to focus on is practicing the material on the GRE and how to take the quantitative portion of the GRE so that you end up with satisfactory scores.

My brother hated math in high school and really struggled with standardized tests. It really discouraged him and was a source of a lot of anxiety for him. But he has now been a high school math teacher for at risk kids for almost 6 years, and a really good one at that. Moral of the story--try not to be discouraged. It may not be that you suck at math, it may be that your teachers sucked at teaching you. You could try finding a different textbook for your subject to help teach yourself. It may be that the one for your class just doesn't fit your learning style well (math books come in many shapes and sizes... so to speak)

You'll really only need math to get through a few prerequisites. Most schools require physics and some sort of math, although thankfully not all require calculus. Some require statistics. Other than that, you really only need basic math to make it through most science classes. Some people are better at different types of math, too. I was not a huge fan of calculus (I managed to get by, but it didn't really click with me like other math did) but I LOVED statistics. Have you taken any stats classes? Because it is a far more useful type of math to understand for science courses than anything else. You may find that studying a practical type of math is easier.

And as kcoughli mentioned, there is the GRE. That'll be a tougher hurdle, I think. But it sounds like that's still a couple years off for you, so you have plenty of time to prepare! I had to relearn most of the math for the GRE because it was more basic math that I honestly hadn't done since high school and couldn't remember! My princeton review GRE prep book was really helpful, though!

Honestly if you understand how the GRE works, you shouldn't be doing tons of math to get your answers. GRE is about reasoning, so I would suggest getting a Kaplan or Princeton review, or even "GRE for dummies" book. (That's a real book, it helped me tremendously with the GRE). They teach you how to do less math, and more reasoning for your answers. They teach you that the more math you do, the farther off track you're getting. Don't let the fear of math get it your way of vet school.

Honestly if you understand how the GRE works, you shouldn't be doing tons of math to get your answers. GRE is about reasoning, so I would suggest getting a Kaplan or Princeton review, or even "GRE for dummies" book. (That's a real book, it helped me tremendously with the GRE). They teach you how to do less math, and more reasoning for your answers. They teach you that the more math you do, the farther off track you're getting. Don't let the fear of math get it your way of vet school.

:thumbup: My GRE math studying consisted largely of reading the solutions in the Princeton Review book and understanding the shortcuts they used. It's important to know that you don't always have to do the full problem. Especially with having a calculator available now, there's really not a whole lot of math math on the GRE. There's a reason they call it the Quantitative Reasoning section.

I don't think I can tell everyone how much I appreciate the support. My parents aren't exactly behind me so it's nice to have fellow students encouraging me. Thank you so, so much. The GRE is still a ways off but I'm sure the four years will go by quick. I figured veterinary math was mostly the basics, which I'm perfectly fine with of course. :D

I appreciate all of your help more than you can imagine. This is a fantastic forum. I feel a thousand times better than I did this morning.

I'm feelin' this right now. How did you all who said you have struggled with math deal with the constant feeling of disappointment, when you felt like you just had to work your a** off and hope for a C? Because that's where I'm at right now. My breaking point.

Hey, if I made an all encompassing guide, would you use it?

I've already made it through Calculus II with an A. I may have a Trig TA job in the fall.

Whatever's easiest for you! Any way that you do it, it'll be super helpful!

If vet science is where your heart is i say go for it....just remember that you can study anything as long as you get all of the required pre reqs. If there is another degree that you think you would enjoy and can excel at and it will help your overall GPA that is also a possiblity. I know we have 2 people in our class that have english degrees!

I'm also terrible at math, got seriously like a 450 on the GRE math section and got into vet school on my first try. Just overcompensate by being really good at what you are good at and let those accomplishments outshine your less than stellar math skills. You can do it! If I can, anyone can.

Whatever's easiest for you! Any way that you do it, it'll be super helpful!

Have you tried the Khan Academy videos? Or other online free resources? Sometimes I find that if something is explained to me multiple different ways I understand it much better than if I get it explained the same way several times, or by the same person several times with slight variations.

Have you tried the Khan Academy videos? Or other online free resources? Sometimes I find that if something is explained to me multiple different ways I understand it much better than if I get it explained the same way several times, or by the same person several times with slight variations.

I actually just got the Khan app on my phone! I love it, and I can use it anywhere. The videos are super helpful, and I am so glad that I have it now. I just wish that I was...naturally good, ya know? I know that all I can do is work hard and get through it, but it sucks!

The one vet I work with keeps her iphone on her at all times and uses an app that calculates dosages for her. I have literally never seen her do actual math haha.

I feel the same. I just found this post and I'm glad I'm not Alone.