So I'm finally board certified, but how much does it cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's official, I'm board certified by the ABFM and the ABOFP.

Here is my question: How much does it cost to maintain board certification? For example, it looks like all the ABFM modules charge at least $200. And you need lots of CME!

I'm self-employed so no one pays the fees for me. What is the cheapest way to remain board certified?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my question: How much does it cost to maintain board certification? For example, it looks like all the ABFM modules charge at least $200. And you need lots of CME!

I'm self-employed so no one pays the fees for me. What is the cheapest way to remain board certified?

Thanks.
I do locums so I pay for all mine too. Spend the $500/yr to get uptodate. Use it every day. It tracks everything and you can get most your CME that way. Then be sure you do one conference every 2 years to do the rest. The AAFP and AOA have free online CME. Be sure to submit your BLS, ACLS, PALS, etc coursework to get credit for those too. It all adds up quickly.

Thanks.
$200/year for ABFM modules. You can get all the CME you need for ABFM through the AFP quizzies (average 3 hours per quiz, 24 per year, need 150 hours every 3 years). AAFP dues start at like $350 for new physicians and end up closer to 6-800 after 3-5 years if memory serves.

AAFP requires 25 live hours every 3 years. You can get that at a single conference if you're dedicated, or, like CB suggests, you can get credit for that doing ACLS/PALS/ALSO.

The problem with UpToDate is that the AAFP at least has put a cap on the number of hours you can get through UTD - I think its like 50 every 3 years. I don't think the ABFM has a similar restriction.

$200/year for ABFM modules. You can get all the CME you need for ABFM through the AFP quizzies (average 3 hours per quiz, 24 per year, need 150 hours every 3 years). AAFP dues start at like $350 for new physicians and end up closer to 6-800 after 3-5 years if memory serves.

AAFP requires 25 live hours every 3 years. You can get that at a single conference if you're dedicated, or, like CB suggests, you can get credit for that doing ACLS/PALS/ALSO.

The problem with UpToDate is that the AAFP at least has put a cap on the number of hours you can get through UTD - I think its like 50 every 3 years. I don't think the ABFM has a similar restriction.
ABOFP/AOA doesn't seem to restrict uptodate to just 50 credits. I just keep submitting and keep track of the other types I need. Since the OP is DO, there is a CME email link to the AOA website osteopathic.org and they keep track of all your CME for you and you can look periodically to see what you have and what you still need. Here is my current. I have a lot due to uptodate but still am short on a few things.

Membership Requirements
Category Credits Required Credits Submitted Credits Applied Credits Needed Requirement Met
1A 30 29 23 7 NO
1B 0 6 0
2A, 2B 141.5 90 0
ALL 120 170.5 119 1 NO

Specialty CME Credits for Certification
Board Credits Required Credits Submitted Credits Applied Credits Needed Requirement Met
Family Medicine/OMT 50 372 72.5 0 YES
Please refer to OCC for any additional Board requirements.

CME Details
Total Credits Applied Specialty Credits Applied
Date Program
Number Program Information Category Credits Submitted 1-A 1-B 2-A,
2-B Family Medicine/OMT
02/05/2013 231253 Up To Date / WOLTERS KLUWER / Medical Journal / Home Study Course 2B 42 0 0 42 0
03/21/2013 230380 50th Annual Convention & Scientific Seminars / American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians / AOA Specialty College Conferences & Seminars

Last edited: