So much for my chance at dental school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gl4di4tor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm totally lost on what I should now. I know that I don't have a chance at dental school now, here's why:

Last semester I withdrew from Chemisty and Precal because I just didn't do the work and I totally feel that I subconciously sabotaged myself.
I also got FIN (fail incomplete) in Physic which I was taking for the second time.
I also got a C in Psych intro.

now my GPA is down to a 3.00 and I have 60 credits so far.
my science Gpa is probably like a 1.00 or something (B-,A-, Fin, Fin)

I really don't know what I'm doing anymore, i had such high hopes.
The worst part is I haven't told my family that I screwed up so bad, and that I have no chance to make it in to dental school.

If anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it. Ok, I'll stop whinning now.

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is to keep trying. I've screwed up in the past also. I've gotten my fair share of bad grades. I've gotten C's in bio, physics, and ochem. An F in sociology, W's left and right. But you know what I kept at it and improved from there. Now, my GPA isn't the best, but I can tell you some schools will look positively at improvement. You just have to be able tell them why you got off to such a bad start. You still have about half of the credits you need to graduate. So if you think about it, you can kick butt for the second half and still pull off around a 3.5 overall. Once you get that and a decent DAT score then you have a mighty good shot.

Good Luck.

Well, I'm totally lost on what I should now. I know that I don't have a chance at dental school now, here's why:

Last semester I withdrew from Chemisty and Precal because I just didn't do the work and I totally feel that I subconciously sabotaged myself.
I also got FIN (fail incomplete) in Physic which I was taking for the second time.
I also got a C in Psych intro.

now my GPA is down to a 3.00 and I have 60 credits so far.
my science Gpa is probably like a 1.00 or something (B-,A-, Fin, Fin)

I really don't know what I'm doing anymore, i had such high hopes.
The worst part is I haven't told my family that I screwed up so bad, and that I have no chance to make it in to dental school.

If anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it. Ok, I'll stop whinning now.
It's only over if you think it's over. Nothing you've said so far sounds insurmountable.. I know two people in pretty well-respected MD programs who had at least one "F" on their transcript, and nobody every asked them about it. People screw up all the time, whatever. You've just gotta do some good work to show the ADCOMS that you're capable of getting thru D-school okay.

Good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone has stains on their transcripts. i have enough of my own and i'm freaking out about acceptance. if you still have credits to take, bulk up on some heavy science classes and kick ass. hit the DAT hard too, you'll be fine.

if it really is your dream, you will try again for as long as it takes. however, you need to act as though it IS your dream and not just a daydream. fulfilling your dream takes work and dedication, and if you're not finishing what you start, i think it is important to have a good talk with yourself and possibly a counsellor to see if dentistry really is where you want to go, or if you really have what it takes to chase after it. if you can truly answer yes to both, then you will work for it like there were nothing else on earth worth having.

best of luck.

Everyone messes up at some point in their lives. And I think it makes you that much stronger for it. Although I do not want to elaborate about it here in this forum, I also had/have some major failures happen to me, and some of it was not totally under my control.

Although your basic sciences grades are too good, you always have a chance to redeem yourself one way or the other. You could always take advance science classes and show the adcoms what you are capable of doing. You could take post-bacc or grad school. Even people in their 40s apply to dental school.

I am believer that it does not take a genius to do well in life. All it takes is an average guy with drive who will work at what he/she wants.

hey dont worry about it, i have C's on my record.....just kick ass on the DATs you will be fine

You're a gladiator - you can make it through. Have faith in yourself :)

dont slack off from now on if dentistry is the field u want to go into. reevaluate ur professional goals if u're not sure dent is the path u want to take. as u put it, YOU didn't do the work so YOU didn't do well in school. but YOU can also shape up and do well. also, do well on the DAT. GL.

Do well on the DAT, and it can help to overshadow your GPA. Just retake the classes again. Also, since you only have 60 credits so far, I'm assuming you have at least one more year before you apply, you should be able to bring that GPA up by then, plus if you need to, you could simply take an extra year on top of that to bring your GPA up. Don't give up just yet.

By the way, nice portfolio. I like your pencil drawings, photoshop artwork and acrylic painting. . . you are pretty talented.

Ur gonna be all right. Do u see all the support ur getting here. Just don't think too much, and go after what u want. If u really like what ur doing u will push yourself. Retake the two F's, because that will show that u can comeback, and just bust ur ass the rest of the way, kill the DAT, do whatever u can to put the bad stuff behind. If thousands of people have become dentists, so can u.