So this is potentially huge -- IOM report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing those of you who pay attention to academic medicine type of stuff have heard about the IOM report, which sounds pretty vague but seems to imply that everything will be changed in how training is funded at some point. Most interesting for me are the comments in the report and by its authors that the physician shortage physician groups talk about might not be real and that instead midlevel types of providers can fill in. My understanding is that the IOM is hugely politically powerful (although maybe that's becoming less true).

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/201...ls-fight-proposed-changes-in-medical-training

Members don't see this ad.

It's...interesting. Maybe a bit scary.
IOM is influential, but not "powerful". It's recommendations won't move legislation on their own--but once someone decides to move legislation, you can bet this report will be on the top of the stack of citations.

:corny: It's entertaining watching the AMA, AAMC, and AHA scramble to protect their turf.
I've still yet to see an IOM report I disagreed with personally. This is despite hospital and GME departments strong attempts to indoctrinate us with their point of view in opposition to IOM recommendations when I was a resident.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
:corny: It's entertaining watching the AMA, AAMC, and AHA scramble to protect their turf.
I've still yet to see an IOM report I disagreed with personally. This is despite hospital and GME departments strong attempts to indoctrinate us with their point of view in opposition to IOM recommendations when I was a resident.

Yeah, their motivations aren't exactly pure, are they? I think physician groups are going to increasingly lose in these political battles partly because they're so politically inept. I'm no fan of any of these organizations, but I'm hoping individual physicians and medical students don't lose too much.

I'm also a strong believer that we should stop the expansion of medical schools until this residency thing is figured out.

Reactions: 1 users
What about independent, autonomous practice for NPs across all 50 states?