SOAP 2016 Thread - questions, advice, support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ortho applicant this year that didn't match. Applied to 45 prelim ten surg spots in the SOAP this year. Received calls from 6 places yesterday, 4 with significant contact. Was offered 2 spots at great programs. One will be out there next round. Keep your head up everyone!

Congrats. Now go get some beer, you deserve it. All the stress has been lifted off.

Members don't see this ad.

Ortho applicant this year that didn't match. Applied to 45 prelim ten surg spots in the SOAP this year. Received calls from 6 places yesterday, 4 with significant contact. Was offered 2 spots at great programs. One will be out there next round. Keep your head up everyone!

Man now I'm thinking I should have applied for preliminary surgery for all 45....

That right there is a miracle! Ok, can you plz share with us the following:
1)How long did they interview?
2)What is it just basic whereabouts or detailed questions from application during the interview?
3)Do they disclose the Program and specialty in the start of the conversation or do they wait till they know your interests?
4)Did you apply for this Program today or right in the start? Thanks! Congrats on the call!

It was the quickest call ever. He was basically like 'so you didn't receive any offers in the first round right? Do you want a spot in this speciality in this city?' And I immediately said yes and asked if I had any questions. I applied to it since the beginning on Monday after the eras crash. I received no calls yesterday and none this morning (at least I don't think - I was without reception for a couple hours)

Reactions: 3 users
I have to admit, I was really tempted by all the available positions in Prelim Surg, Diagnostic Radiology, and Anesth. I felt I was betraying myself and doing someone else a disservice jamming up something I didn't really care for, and quite honestly would be bad at. Sadly everyone wants IM and FM as well.

If you read gutonc's posts earlier in the thread on page 5, he advises that it is NOT a match violation to contact the PD of your advanced program. Apparently, you are only disallowed to contact programs who are participating in SOAP. The wording of the rules states that any program that is participating in SOAP, or any program that is NOT participating in SOAP that has open positions, may not be contacted.

Using this as a guide, your friend should be contacting his mentors, his school, and the advanced program he/she matched into for assistance.

I agree. Could it be a match violation by the letter of the law? Perhaps. But let's look at this logically. Last year I matched and only applied advanced. I found out the location of where I matched that day. If I was to email the PD of the program and say "Thank you so much for the opportunity, I look forward to getting started"...are you telling me that I would get busted for a match violation? That's not even the intent of the rule. And not to mention...it would require the PD to out the applicant in the first place...and why would they do that? There is no way that a PD would out an applicant as a match violation for saying "Thanks" or "I need some help".

From the peanut gallery here: if I had only matched an advanced position this year and not internship, you bet your ass I'd tell my PD and beg for help. Instantly, without a second thought. Positions can be and have been created for situations like this. Even if it violates match rules in the letter of the law, think about it this way: would you rather 1) get a slap on the wrist for a supposed violation *every single applicant this happened to* probably made, and that I've never ever heard of anyone getting punished for, or 2) lose your advanced match, not have a residency at all, have to go through all of this again next year, and possibly not match to that (likely competitive) advanced specialty?

Your career is on the line. Sometimes stupid rules just need to be broken.

I agree. Could it be a match violation by the letter of the law? Perhaps. But let's look at this logically. Last year I matched and only applied advanced. I found out the location of where I matched that day. If I was to email the PD of the program and say "Thank you so much for the opportunity, I look forward to getting started"...are you telling me that I would get busted for a match violation? That's not even the intent of the rule. And not to mention...it would require the PD to out the applicant in the first place...and why would they do that? There is no way that a PD would out an applicant as a match violation for saying "Thanks" or "I need some help".
NRMP has stated that it would consider this a Match violation because the PD of the advanced program does not yet know that you matched to that program. They won't receive the confidential roster until Thurs pm, and that info is embargoed until Fri pm. Dovetailing this information with yesterday's NRMP post that indicated no one participating in SOAP can offer or accept a position outside of SOAP until after SOAP ends Thurs at 5pm, and there is definitely risk of being found in violation of the terms of the Match. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, or say whether a policy is reasonable. Just urging an abundance of caution because I don't want to see anyone lose a position by acting rashly/prematurely.

Reactions: 1 user
For
Does anyone have information on AOA unfilled positions post-ACGME-Match & SOAP for DOs? In other words, as a DO, do we still have a great shot at AOA residencies (specifically for Fam/IM/**Psych) if we are unlucky during the SOAP?
As DO There is a big chunk of positions still available!! In good specialties. These is a snapshot of positions posted in the past 3 days alone. Look under aoa post match website http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm for available positions!! IV also receive several emails from my dean for IM and FM spots that some programs are begging for applicants so you might what to email your dean as well!! Good luck!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 237
NRMP has stated that it would consider this a Match violation because the PD of the advanced program does not yet know that you matched to that program. They won't receive the confidential roster until Thurs pm, and that info is embargoed until Fri pm. Dovetailing this information with yesterday's NRMP post that indicated no one participating in SOAP can offer or accept a position outside of SOAP until after SOAP ends Thurs at 5pm, and there is definitely risk of being found in violation of the terms of the Match. I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, or say whether a policy is reasonable. Just urging an abundance of caution because I don't want to see anyone lose a position by acting rashly/prematurely.

Would you out an applicant if they tried to get your help after matching to your program? Or would you help them?

Would you out an applicant if they tried to get your help after matching to your program? Or would you help them?
Honestly, I would not out them. I would tell them that I am going to hang up the phone and forget their name and that they called until 5pm on Thursday. After that, I would help in any way that I could. Remember that my picking up a phone to help you secure a prelim spot before the end of SOAP is also a violation and anyone I called could inform the NRMP. If that happened, there would be consequences detrimental to my program, making it not worth the risk of trying to work around the rules. Following the rules, my worst-case scenario is that I have a year to find someone to fill your spot. Violating the rules I risk not being able to participate in the Match for several years.

Reactions: 3 users
If unmatched. Do we keep reapplying or does our original application stands?

I just want to make a side comment, that NRMP really did a great job this year with the Match process and SOAP. It is a significant improvement over the previous years, and they really care to make sure everything is going smoothly for everyone.

That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement (eg. the crash during ERAS applications on Monday), but this year's SOAP is much more streamlined and easier to work with than any previous year I've seen.

We don't re-apply for round 2 right? All of our previous apps are still in? Is there a "I'M STILL AVAILABLE. PLEASE LOVE ME." button I'm supposed to press?
Can someone please answer?

In the scramble, it's my understanding is that they're just fishing through scores? Is that pretty much the main criteria to call and extend an offer?

Just got a call from a prelim gen surg program despite taking a position in round 1. Call came at 14:05 EST. So interviews are still possible for you all.

I believe your apps are still in without you having to do anything

All of the apps you sent in SOAP are still valid. If you sent fewer than 45, you have the option of adding more.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I would not out them. I would tell them that I am going to hang up the phone and forget their name and that they called until 5pm on Thursday. After that, I would help in any way that I could. Remember that my picking up a phone to help you secure a prelim spot before the end of SOAP is also a violation and anyone I called could inform the NRMP. If that happened, there would be consequences detrimental to my program, making it not worth the risk of trying to work around the rules. Following the rules, my worst-case scenario is that I have a year to find someone to fill your spot. Violating the rules I risk not being able to participate in the Match for several years.

The NRMP are real hardasses about stuff like this. Too many legalities about this...

For

As DO There is a big chunk of positions still available!! In good specialties. These is a snapshot of positions posted in the past 3 days alone. Look under aoa post match website http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm for available positions!! IV also receive several emails from my dean for IM and FM spots that some programs are begging for applicants so you might what to email your dean as well!! Good luck!
That is looking like a more realistic option now. It worries me that the residencies are not dual accredited. I don't want to get stuck post-merger with a defunct residency in my 2nd or 3rd year.

That is looking like a more realistic option now. It worries me that the residencies are not dual accredited. I don't want to get stuck post-merger with a defunct residency in my 2nd or 3rd year.

Man at times like this, I wish I was DO.

If no interviews thus far, what's the likelihood of getting an offer out of the blue for next round?
Does this happen?

Lol. Good stuff. Thank you for your contributions.

If no interviews thus far, what's the likelihood of getting an offer out of the blue for next round?
Does this happen?

I've never experienced it, but there are reports of this happening here and there. Realistically, the odds are not good.

yea they go out at or around 3pm EST

It's technically 3 EDT now, as we are in Daylight Savings Time, 3 EST would have been two weeks ago. 15 more minutes and the second round of offers will go out.

I've never experienced it, but there are reports of this happening here and there. Realistically, the odds are not good.

It's technically 3 EDT now, as we are in Daylight Savings Time, 3 EST would have been two weeks ago. 15 more minutes and the second round of offers will go out.
You deserve a residency spot for making this correction.

Dont be fool by that!! Under the merger, residencies that taken in residents have to fulfill three rules: 1) get acgme certified thus residents have no worries 2) have the last class graduate before 2020 thus all residents are boarded and ready for practice/ fellowship 3) have an appropriate placement of residents in other residencies under worst case scenario

The AOA has forced all residencies that take residents to provide assurance that no one is left out in the cold. Most if not all residencies should be acgme. In addition any residency under pre accreditation follows the same rules for fellowships previous to the merger until full accreditation is granted ( I did an mph and this was one of my focuses)

Again if you don't get a specialty specific offer in soap and see the specialty you like in AOA is worth considering. Don't want to end up doing something you hate by I understand the extreme pressure your under.

I'm inline for a bigger doozy if my residency shuts down years later..

You're protected in that case. You take your federal funding and find an open program and plug in. Plus currently, programs aren't allowed to accept residents without pre-accreditation in ACGME anyway.

found this listing and wanted to share for anyoen not able to find any spot after SOAP, granted it is a volunteer position but may lead to connection and network

Volunteer Research Fellow
NYU Langone Medical Center
Date Posted: March 15, 2016

The S. Arthur Localio Research Laboratory at the NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the top surgical research labs in the US. We are seeking a Volunteer Research Fellow to work on liver and pancreatic cancer immunology. Individuals seeking to boost their credentials in preparation for residency application are encouraged to apply. This is a non-paid full-time volunteer position. A commitment of 1 year is necessary. The Research Fellow will train under the mentorship of Dr. George Miller to design and carryout experiments investigating immune regulation in the pancreatic cancer tumor micro-environment or in chronic liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma. Applicants should have an M.D. or M.D., Ph.D. Previous basic science research experience is an asset but not essential. Strong communication skills (verbal and written) are desired. Our volunteers tend to be extremely hard working and as a result they are very successful in matching into residency programs. With Dr. Miller’s involvement and commitment of everyone’s career development, we have successfully placed volunteers in general surgery, internal medicine and pathology programs. The position is available beginning April 1, 2016 and requires a commitment of 1 year. Laboratory Website: http://www.med.nyu.edu/localiolab/home
How To Apply
Interested candidates should contact Ms. Nilda Marmol: [email protected] Job Location - New York, New York, United States Position Type: Volunteer Full-Time/Regular

No offers this round. Feeling like I am wasting my time sitting around.

PGY1 Preliminary Position
San Joaquin General Hospital
Date Posted: March 14, 2016

San Joaquin General Hospital, located in French Camp, CA will have (2) Preliminary PGY-1 openings for General Surgery Residents to begin June 24, 2016.
How To Apply
Interested applicants must submit the following items as one PDF file: Current CV, Medical school diploma, Medical school transcript, MSPE (Dean's letter),3 letters of recommendation - 1 from current Program Director, USMLE Transcript Step 1,2,CS and 3 if applicable (a first-time pass is preferred), Personal Statement, ABSITE Transcript (if applicable), Milestone Evaluation (if applicable), ACGME Operative Log (if applicable), Foreign Graduates: Must have all of the above plus ECFMG certificate and PTAL from the Medical Board of CA. Only complete applications will be considered. Only J-1 visa are sponsored (no exceptions). Qualified applicants should submit documents along with their contact information to Christina Roland, Program Coordinator, via email only: [email protected] . **No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.** Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted once the committee has reviewed all complete application materials.

found this listing and wanted to share for anyoen not able to find any spot after SOAP, granted it is a volunteer position but may lead to connection and network

Volunteer Research Fellow
NYU Langone Medical Center
Date Posted: March 15, 2016

The S. Arthur Localio Research Laboratory at the NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the top surgical research labs in the US. We are seeking a Volunteer Research Fellow to work on liver and pancreatic cancer immunology. Individuals seeking to boost their credentials in preparation for residency application are encouraged to apply. This is a non-paid full-time volunteer position. A commitment of 1 year is necessary. The Research Fellow will train under the mentorship of Dr. George Miller to design and carryout experiments investigating immune regulation in the pancreatic cancer tumor micro-environment or in chronic liver disease and hepatocellular carcinoma. Applicants should have an M.D. or M.D., Ph.D. Previous basic science research experience is an asset but not essential. Strong communication skills (verbal and written) are desired. Our volunteers tend to be extremely hard working and as a result they are very successful in matching into residency programs. With Dr. Miller’s involvement and commitment of everyone’s career development, we have successfully placed volunteers in general surgery, internal medicine and pathology programs. The position is available beginning April 1, 2016 and requires a commitment of 1 year. Laboratory Website: http://www.med.nyu.edu/localiolab/home
How To Apply
Interested candidates should contact Ms. Nilda Marmol: [email protected] Job Location - New York, New York, United States Position Type: Volunteer Full-Time/Regular
This actually seems more predatory than ResidentSwap and all the other BS.

Reactions: 4 users

San Joaquin General Hospital, located in French Camp, CA will have (2) Preliminary PGY-1 openings for General Surgery Residents to begin June 24, 2016.
How To Apply
Interested applicants must submit the following items as one PDF file: Current CV, Medical school diploma, Medical school transcript, MSPE (Dean's letter),3 letters of recommendation - 1 from current Program Director, USMLE Transcript Step 1,2,CS and 3 if applicable (a first-time pass is preferred), Personal Statement, ABSITE Transcript (if applicable), Milestone Evaluation (if applicable), ACGME Operative Log (if applicable), Foreign Graduates: Must have all of the above plus ECFMG certificate and PTAL from the Medical Board of CA. Only complete applications will be considered. Only J-1 visa are sponsored (no exceptions). Qualified applicants should submit documents along with their contact information to Christina Roland, Program Coordinator, via email only: [email protected] . **No phone calls or faxes will be accepted.** Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted once the committee has reviewed all complete application materials.
Curious where you are finding these things.

How To Apply

Thank you for this Info. Where were you able to get that by any chance? And also is there a deadline to submit the application?

Yeah there's are FM, psych, IM, I think a few OB and EM for AOA DO usually available!! If you need a spot you can usually get one.. Surgery is a bit more competitive!

I think it's more so the blatant use of BS in baiting prospective candidates with improved odds of residency placements. Full-time volunteer position just screams out as a search for slave labor.

Reactions: 5 users
i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two

i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two

Don't think its kosher to reveal the name of places in SOAP right now...

My school just called me and said "we're going to war tomorrow" to find everyone a residency who had to SOAP. I felt excited like I was about to rush Normandie.

Reactions: 2 users
My school just called me and said "we're going to war tomorrow" to find everyone a residency who had to SOAP. I felt excited like I was about to rush Normandie.

Normandie didn't go all that well :(