SOAP 2016 Thread - questions, advice, support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't think its kosher to reveal the name of places in SOAP right now...
Yikes. If you got an offer at this stage, I'd definitely take it. Who cares if its "not as chill" 1st year is def not chill breh.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone! Keep chins up! I was very underwhelmed after 1st round. Had 12 FM interviews and 1 offer. Within minutes my top 2 programs called to offer for 2nd round! Miracles do happen! Keep at it! Like @MCATbound said, schools will go to battle for you! Get your advisors involved now!

Reactions: 2 users
My school just called me and said "we're going to war tomorrow" to find everyone a residency who had to SOAP. I felt excited like I was about to rush Normandie.
What does that mean? I thought they weren't supposed to contact programs?

I honestly wouldn't bet my career on "knowing" that you're going to get another offer tomorrow. Also at this point I seriously wouldn't concern myself w/ finding a chill intern year when you're in imminent danger of having no intern year. Take what you're offered and be thankful.

Reactions: 3 users
Caribbean student here (Canadian - FMG). Applied for psych and FM for SOAP (just psych in match). Step 1 234, Step 2ck 235, Step 2 cs pass (all 1st time pass). One call from FM program last night to schedule an IV with PD...nothing else so far.
How many Psych interviews did you get during regular match? Why did you not apply FM as backup?

I honestly wouldn't bet my career on "knowing" that you're going to get another offer tomorrow. Also at this point I seriously wouldn't concern myself w/ finding a chill intern year when you're in imminent danger of having no intern year. Take what you're offered and be thankful.

Agreed. Plus who knows if the other offer will still be there tomorrow? A bird in hand.....

Reactions: 1 user
i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two

I hope montefiore sees this post and rescinds your offer. To those of us here who are still waiting for offers and are willing to work as hard as we need to to achieve our dreams you sir are an insult to the profession

If we remain unmatched after Thursday and if there are still open spots left, what can we do as an applicant?
Thanks!

For any DO interested and not having soap luck

*SENT ON BEHALF OF BRIAN EARLEY, DO*

I am contacting you again from Ocala, Florida. My name is Brian Earley and I am the program director of the Ocala Regional Family Medicine Program (AOA #370124) in Ocala, Florida. This is a 6-6-6 community based program in central Florida with an emphasis on “Bringing Family Back to Family Medicine”. We are recruiting our second class of residents. We have 6 strong residents in our inaugural class, recruited 5 fantastic residents through the NMS match/post-match, and are looking to fill our second class with 1 additional well-rounded, personable, hard-working resident who is excited to join a growing program.

Program is expected to become dually accredited in the next year, in anticipation of the AOA/ACGME merger

Everyone! Keep chins up! I was very underwhelmed after 1st round. Had 12 FM interviews and 1 offer. Within minutes my top 2 programs called to offer for 2nd round! Miracles do happen! Keep at it! Like @MCATbound said, schools will go to battle for you! Get your advisors involved now!

For those of us who have graduated and who have no school to fall back on (i.e US-IMGs, FMGs, etc), we have no one to battle for us.

Reactions: 4 users
Second year not matching, SOAP is deja vu. Got one categorical medicine interview saying they were interested, but no offer at the first round, all spots now filled. No word from any one of the 30 preliminaries I applied for. I really, really wish I hadn't used all 45 of my applications; I forgot it was 30/10 last year. I would be on my knees and in tears of gratitude if I could even get a preliminary surgery spot in the middle of nowhere. I really hope that the grant I submitted gets accepted this summer so I can still be in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. I don't want my parents sacrificing their retirement just to pay my student loans.

What does that mean? I thought they weren't supposed to contact programs?
After the 5pm deadline we will go to war, without NRMP or Geneva Convention violations, and rush the PDs.

i just got an offer from montefiore. but i know i am getting an offer from barnabas tomr. how is montefiore. looking for more chill prelim of the two
Take the offer. I have a friend who was told verbally today that she would definitely be getting an offer from that program first round, and then same thing second round. She never received an official offer. I wouldn't bet all my money on tomorrow's anticipated offer if I were you.

How many Psych interviews did you get during regular match? Why did you not apply FM as backup?

Had 2 Psych interviews in the regular match. I did not apply to FM as a back up. I didn't apply because I was going to have a very late CS score and if I failed I would have been throwing away $1000's in applications. I took a shot at the match on 82 programs, knowing it was a long shot, but was hoping to avoid a year off. Next year going to apply to as many psych and FM programs as I can that sponsor J1 visa. Should do better because I will have complete application, ECFMG cert, and hopefully a passed Step 3. Clearly its my fault I am in the SOAP....probably shouldn't have applied at all.

If we remain unmatched after Thursday and if there are still open spots left, what can we do as an applicant?
Thanks!

You are free to contact programs after 5pm ET without any limitations. At 6pm NRMP will provide the list of still-open positions, and I believe that will include the programs that didn't participate in SOAP. DOs will also be free to contact unfilled osteopathic residency programs.

For any DO interested and not having soap luck

*SENT ON BEHALF OF BRIAN EARLEY, DO*

I am contacting you again from Ocala, Florida. My name is Brian Earley and I am the program director of the Ocala Regional Family Medicine Program (AOA #370124) in Ocala, Florida. This is a 6-6-6 community based program in central Florida with an emphasis on “Bringing Family Back to Family Medicine”. We are recruiting our second class of residents. We have 6 strong residents in our inaugural class, recruited 5 fantastic residents through the NMS match/post-match, and are looking to fill our second class with 1 additional well-rounded, personable, hard-working resident who is excited to join a growing program.

Program is expected to become dually accredited in the next year, in anticipation of the AOA/ACGME merger

For those tempted, please remember it's a violation to contact AOA positions until after SOAP is over tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
For those tempted, please remember it's a violation to contact AOA positions until after SOAP is over tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Of course please follow all rules! I just want to give options to DO's who don't have luck in the Soap so they can contact these programs as soon as the Soap is done if interested!

Of course please follow all rules! I just want to give options to DO's who don't have luck in the Soap so they can contact these programs as soon as the Soap is done if interested!
where did you get that information from? I'm not too interested in Fam if I have a shot at IM or Psych, but would like to know my sources to go to after SOAP is over..

where did you get that information from? I'm not too interested in Fam if I have a shot at IM or Psych, but would like to know my sources to go to after SOAP is over..
I get emails from my school here is a couple more :

Greetings! Thank you for considering our programs during the osteopathic scramble. We are hopeful that your students who are not successful in the SOAP might end up in one of our few remaining open positions. Please consider referring any of your un-matched students to us.
Thank you in advance!
MSHA Program Summaries

The Internal Medicine Residency program at Johnston Memorial Hospital was established and AOA approved in 2015 and is led by program director, Dr. Camelia Chirculescu. Our inaugural class will begin in July 2016. More information about this program and the Abingdon community can be found online at: www.mountainstateshealth.com/jmh-residency<http://www.mountainstateshealth.com/jmh-residency>
Johnston Memorial Hospital
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Program Director: Dr. Camelia Chirculescu
Phone: 423-367-1282
Email: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Program Coordinator: Brooke Davis
Phone: 276-258-4455 or 276-608-9229
Email: [email protected]<mailto:D[email protected]>

The Family Medicine Residency program at Johnston Memorial Hospital was established and AOA approved in 2014 and is led by program director, Dr. Ronna New. Our first inaugural class began in July 2015. More information about this program and the Abingdon community can be found online at: www.mountainstateshealth.com/jmh-residency<http://www.mountainstateshealth.com/jmh-residency>
Johnston Memorial Hospital
Family Medicine Residency Program
Program Director: Dr. Ronna New
Phone: 276-690-5414
Program Coordinator: Mary Anne Holbrook
Phone: 276-258-4435 or 276-698-5606

The Internal Medicine Residency program at Norton Community Hospital was established and AOA approved in 2002 and is led by program director, Dr. Jody Bentley. More information about the hospital and the Norton community can be found online at: http://www.mountainstateshealth.com/nch-residency
Norton Community Hospital
Internal Medicine Residency Program
Program Director: Dr. Jody Bentley
Phone: 276-328-3394 or 276-870-9445
Program Manager: LaDonna Epling
Phone: 276-679-3488 or 606-422-9342

Both Norton Community Hospital and Johnston Memorial Hospital have resubmitted their sponsoring institution ACGME applications and have been granted continued pre-accreditation status. All three programs are in the process of completing their ACGME applications.

Hughes

"The dogmas of the quiet present are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. As our case is new, so must we think anew and act anew." -Lincoln Healer-Teacher-Leader (www.linkedin.com/in/hughesmelton<http://www.linkedin.com/in/hughesmelton>)

My Vision: Multidisciplinary medical education that meets the needs of Appalachia.

If you need a response within 24 hours, please call me.
S. Hughes Melton, MD MBA FAAFP FABAM
VP, Medical Education and DIO NE&NW Markets of MSH
M: 276-971-6302 (Anytime 6a-10p)
Mountain States Health is world-class healthcare system healing the mind, body and spirit in beautiful SW Virginia and NE Tennessee. For more information, visit www.MountainStatesHealth.com<http://www.MountainStatesHealth.com

Also here is the main post match website for the AOA post match

http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/

Has a complete list of all available positions and date they were posted ../ remember some programs might have filled up and not updates and some programs may still have spots and not recently posted their spots. Best thing to do is begin by filtering it by date and go from the earliest to latest but don't go past the AOA match date../ while you can't contact the program you should go to the website and begin looking at the programs you are interested so as soon as 500pm roles around tomorrow and if you have no luck you have emails ready to mail in at instant and can begging calling

Lots of them want you to send their stuff via eras as soon as you can (after 500 pm tomorrow of course)

You are seriously the worst kind of person. On the brink of not matching and you're still acting entitled. Not to mention you just committed a huge match violation.

Reactions: 4 users

Paul soaping to Barnabas...that's a pretty douche baggy thing to say on this forum.

Reactions: 3 users
I also have same question. Someone who have done soap before, please give some info about this. Thank you.

ERAS is expecting programs that used ERAS for the Match will continue to use ERAS to receive applications post SOAP. This is what they posted in response to an institution asking about how students should gather/present information post SOAP: "ERAS participating specialties must receive applications and supporting documents via ERAS as per the Terms & Conditions agreed to at the beginning of the ERAS season."

Honestly, I don't know that programs realize that this was part of the ERAS bargain, so I'd suggest calling programs on the final NRMP list. They will most likely have a voice mail message with instructions on how they prefer to receive applications and in what time frame. If it is through ERAS, at least you don't have to do any more work in gathering application pieces--but, of course, ERAS also posted: "once SOAP closes ERAS will be open (Thursday at 5pm) and the pre-SOAP fee structure resumes."

You are free to contact programs after 5pm ET without any limitations. At 6pm NRMP will provide the list of still-open positions, and I believe that will include the programs that didn't participate in SOAP. DOs will also be free to contact unfilled osteopathic residency programs.

This is 5 PM EST tomorrow, correct?

Whats wrong with someone mentioning program name? Don't understand why you guys are flaming him/her.

To the people who are worried they will never get a position, don't lose hope. I matched into an advanced position in the Match and I received only one phone call from a program in the SOAP which sent me an offer in the second round.

US-IMG graduation date 2011
Step 1 - Mid 210's (failed once)
Step 2 CK - Mid 220's
Step 2 CS - Passed on first attempt
One published publication
Two publications being submitted
Primary author of a book chapter

What my stats on paper don't say about me is the amount of legwork I had to do with networking and contacting various programs and professors for opportunities. Scores and where you went to school have ZERO value once you are a resident. What programs want are applicants they can see themselves working with, so building inter-personal relationships and networking really work wonders.

So, those of you who think they're not good enough because of a red flag on their application will just have to work harder on your networking and people skills, because it IS possible and I am an example of that.

Reactions: 5 users
seems like Canadian Caribbean grads are getting discriminated...

This is true.

I am a:

US-AMG graduation date 2015
Step 1 - 239
Step 2 CK - 221
Three published publications, two as first author, one resulting in a NYT article
Won two research fellowships

And the closest I got to a position second time in SOAP was an attending making some calls against my wishes (since that's a violation). No dice, but that's because the positions filled in the first round. If you are a red flag your only hope for getting within 100 miles of a residency is connections, and if you are normal, you will be shortchanged if you try to go it without help.

Does anyone know if MDs can apply to DO programs once the soap is over? I'm assuming this is what people refer to when they say the acgme and aoa are merging?

Does anyone know if MDs can apply to DO programs once the soap is over? I'm assuming this is what people refer to when they say the acgme and aoa are merging?
No, you cannot. The merger has not happened yet. You're stuck with ACGME unless you're a DO.

This is true.

I am a:

US-AMG graduation date 2015
Step 1 - 239
Step 2 CK - 221
Three published publications, two as first author, one resulting in a NYT article
Won two research fellowships

And the closest I got to a position second time in SOAP was an attending making some calls against my wishes (since that's a violation). No dice, but that's because the positions filled in the first round. If you are a red flag your only hope for getting within 100 miles of a residency is connections, and if you are normal, you will be shortchanged if you try to go it without help.

What did you apply for in the match?

according to SOAP schedule after it end at 5pm tmr, "Programs: May begin creating positions for partially-matched applicants." what does this mean? i am matched in an advanced program and now pgy1 so far. What makes program do that? and how?

I'm sorry they can't. Merger means that all DO programs apply for acgme accreditation. Only programs that have achieve initial accreditation can receive MDs and I believe that's going to begging happening next year. I don't know if any who receive initial accreditation have open spots left but you can try and see

You can go to https://apps.acgme.org/ads/public/

Under pre accreditation, choose your field of interest, and see what programs have initial accreditation. Contact them after the soap to see if they have any open spots. To my knowledge most new DO accredited residencies ( that have gotten initial accreditation through the merger after receiving pre accreditation) will begin taking MD's in the regular match after the DO match

Sorry, no. You still have to be a DO in order to apply for an open osteopathic program slot. The merger means that the AOA programs will eventually merge into the ACGME accreditation structure and be governed by the ACGME program requirements.

is anyone getting anymore calls now?

I just got off the phone from an interview with a FM program I hadn't heard from before the end of Round 2. Don't give up hope!

Reactions: 1 users
What did you apply for in the match?

Neurology, prelim, transitional, categorical medicine, because I thought a year of being an actual researcher would help me get in an institution where it was at least possible. I even got an interview at a fast track to fellowship program and was the only non-MD/PhD there. Every single interview had some connection to somebody that wrote a letter for me.

according to SOAP schedule after it end at 5pm tmr, "Programs: May begin creating positions for partially-matched applicants." what does this mean? i am matched in an advanced program and now pgy1 so far. What makes program do that? and how?

I don't understand your question. If you Matched into advanced and have SOAPed into a PGY1 prelim, you're done--and congratulations. NRMP is giving its blessing that if programs are able to create a new residency slot to accommodate applicants who only matched either prelim without advanced or advanced without a prelim, they should do so.

Although SOAP is unpleasant to go through, at least the NRMP systems worked this year. Sounds like most offers were out right on time, unlike the mess that was last year.

seems like Canadian Caribbean grads are getting discriminated...

The canadian gov't limited the number of LON's for J Visas. Given the uncertainty, we declined to interview any canadians requiring a J visa this year. Other programs might have done the same.

I assume you meant "no PGY1 so far".

Once SOAP is over, it can be possible for a program to "create" a spot for you. Realistically, this will be either your home institution or the place you've matched for advanced. Sometimes a program can find a way to have an extra PGY-1, so that you don't lose your PGY-2. This isn't easy, so it's not something you should count on.

Neurology, prelim, transitional, categorical medicine, because I thought a year of being an actual researcher would help me get in an institution where it was at least possible. I even got an interview at a fast track to fellowship program and was the only non-MD/PhD there. Every single interview had some connection to somebody that wrote a letter for me.

Did you email/call all the PDs from the programs you applied to last year to see how you could have improved your application?

Did you email/call all the PDs from the programs you applied to last year to see how you could have improved your application?

I emailed the PDs I interviewed with last time and got no responses. Not even from my home institution, which hurt a lot, though the clerkship director for neurology tried to cheer me up and the clerkship director from medicine helped me write my personal statement for this round. My mentor didn't have any more advice and wished me luck.

Full disclosure, I know what's wrong with my application. I'm a walking red flag. Mediocre clerkship scores (never failed one though), some mediocre comments, and a mediocre dean's letter - and if your Dean's letter isn't glowing, it's a death sentence. The one thing I am proud of is that none of it is personality related, and I've never had anything close to an incident in that regard.

The point is, though, I never really got to know or work with medicine or neurology attendings outside of regular clerkship duties. There was no continuity there. My clerkship director was just my clerkship director, the chair was just the chair, and so on. This mistake has cost me dearly.

I emailed the PDs I interviewed with last time and got no responses. Not even from my home institution, which hurt a lot, though the clerkship director for neurology tried to cheer me up and the clerkship director from medicine helped me write my personal statement for this round. My mentor didn't have any more advice and wished me luck.

Full disclosure, I know what's wrong with my application. I'm a walking red flag. Mediocre clerkship scores (never failed one though), some mediocre comments, and a mediocre dean's letter - and if your Dean's letter isn't glowing, it's a death sentence. The one thing I am proud of is that none of it is personality related, and I've never had anything close to an incident in that regard.

The point is, though, I never really got to know or work with medicine or neurology attendings outside of regular clerkship duties. There was no continuity there. My clerkship director was just my clerkship director, the chair was just the chair, and so on. This mistake has cost me dearly.

Sounds like you have a realistic view on things... Keep working at it, making personal connections. That's the way you'll find a spot.

Although SOAP is unpleasant to go through, at least the NRMP systems worked this year. Sounds like most offers were out right on time, unlike the mess that was last year.

The canadian gov't limited the number of LON's for J Visas. Given the uncertainty, we declined to interview any canadians requiring a J visa this year. Other programs might have done the same.

Ouch. I know they put a limit, but if you are a FM or Psych program they are still giving way more LON's than were needed last year.

I just got off the phone from an interview with a FM program I hadn't heard from before the end of Round 2. Don't give up hope!
Congrats on the call! Just a few questions for the sake of reassuring myself though: 1. Are you an FMG, US-IMG, DO, or AMG? 2. What are your stats on boards if you don't mind sharing?
Again thanks and congrats on the call. Good Luck!

We did interview Canadians this year. Limit on SON was set above 2015 levels, so although it does create some uncertainty, it's not a deal-breaker for us.

Reactions: 2 users