Social work as a pre-med major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyLeeFan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would social work make a good pre-med major?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would make a great premed major. Although, I think your first priority should be doing something you love. If its both, then great!
Medical schools are shifting slightly from sciencey students to more socially conscious students IMO.

Some might argue that it is not sciencey enough for the top research schools, but I disagree. If you can stand out and do something really cool in social work, then I think any school would love to take you. I have interviewed at top research schools and they seem to really like humanities students that do awesome things.

If you have a certain social issue that you are passionate about, I highly recommend getting involved early. If you can show a medical school that you have worked on a topic that you are passionate about for several years, they will love you! They see too many students with less than a years worth of experience in a particular topic. If you dont have one you are passionate about, just jump in and try one out. You can PM for ideas if you like.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also think it would make a great major. I think in the end it's important to do what you're passionate about because then you'll shine in your applications.

If you're passionate about biology, go for it, but if you have a yen for sociology, do that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter what you major in!!!!!! Do something you love, and ace your pre-reqs. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone for your input . All the answers were very helpful. I am entering NYU this fall as a freshman and I hope everything goes according to plan in college and I'm able to be accepted to a medical school by my final year.

Good luck everyone in their journey to becoming a physician as well!

Don't major in what you love

Major in what will give you the highest GPA

I made the mistake of majoring in what I love and i sacrificed my gpa

And I killed my scGPA which had been really high before my major classes

Don't listen to Malcolm, you should do what you love, even if it's hard, although it's important to know your own capabilities. Social work would be great because it's all about people

Ok im going to have to step in here. SCoolFS, lets be practical here...
For ex: if OP loves math just a little more than something else, is sure about med school, but the avg math major gpa at her school is around 2.8 (as it was in my school), then she should def not major in math. I think it is foolish to simply say: "do what you love" and make that your only priority. Find a balance.

Fortunately, social work is usually not a grade deflated major so this side conversation prob does not even relate to OP lol.

I agree with you, simply saying not to pick something easy just because it is easy, Adcoms see through that.

Stop perpetuating this false idea of doing what you love... If this kid is premed, medicine is what they love most, so I assume getting to medical school is their #1 priority.

I'm sorry, but pursuing what you love is bull crap, how much do you like medical school's rigorous curriculum?

How much do you like the brutality of residency?

Life = not about doing what you love, it's about doing what is best for yourself, your family and the world at large.

Please, society, let's put a more nuanced perspective on the idea of "do what you love"

And instead, learn to sacrifice short term satisfaction for a greater, long term success

Last edited: