Spalding University Psy.D Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

007nationarmy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

The SDN was a priceless resource for me when I was deciding where to apply for graduate school so I'm here to give back!

I am currently a 2nd year student at Spalding University's School of Professional Psychology (SOPP) in Louisville, Ky and I'm here to answer any questions you have about the program or the city. Clearly I am biased because this was my school of choice but I will do my best to be as objective as possible. I do not officially represent the University in any way so nothing said here is legally binding or any of that jazz. OK, let's get started.

If you're interested in the basics regarding the Spalding's mission statement, accreditation, match rates, etc., here is the link to the website: http://spalding.edu/academics/psychology/about-the-psy-d-program/ I'm not going to go into that because this information is already available to you. You're here because you want information that numbers can't tell you.

My personal experience in this city so far has been great. The city of Louisville is very progressive, has great restaurants (I mean really great; read any food blog), tons of stuff to do from Louisville Bat's games at the minor league stadium, to "Downs after Dark," which is after-dark horse racing at Churchill Downs (site of the infamous Kentucky Derby). There are tons of parks and hiking trails as well as Mega Caverns with zip-lines. In addition, Louisville has a major airport and is within a day's drive of two thirds of the US population. It also has a surprisingly low cost of living compared to cities of equal size. Louisville is the most similar in size to Nashville, TN and Portland, OR; two cities that I personally love and think share many common characteristics with Louisville. I could go on and on about Louisville (seriously this blurb doesn't even scratch the surface) but you're here to know more about Spalding...

To be honest, I was a little weary when I committed to Spalding because I had read many mixed reviews (on this site as well as others). My undergraduate mentor recommended Spalding (among a few other schools) because he said that he had seen the faculty's research pop up from time to time in journals and knew a practitioner who had graduated from Spalding and was well respected and spoke highly of the program. What ultimately sold me on this school was the faculty and the 7 year accreditation (which is the longest accreditation that APA awards). When I came to interview, I was blown away at how much they cared about their students. These professors seemed to be completely invested in the success of every student, and this initial reaction has proven true over the past year. Additionally, I have become very close with my cohort. I have honestly met life-long friends since starting this program. I think that Spalding did a great job of choosing kind, compassionate, respectful students who are very easy to get along with. There is also an undeniable sense of camaraderie that i believe stems from a complete lack of competition between classmates.

Spalding is, from what I can tell, more research focused than some other Psy.D. programs. We have faculty sponsored research interest groups that churn out really interesting studies and get students very excited about the prospect of finding a balance between practice and research. We are required to produce and defend a dissertation and are not allowed to graduate without having done so. While you are all looking at Psy.D. programs because you want to work in the field instead of a university or lab, the faculty here believes that EVERY practicing psychologist should be involved in research to some extent.

Our program stresses the importance of "Evidence-Based Practice." What this means is you as a clinician will have to be able to understand and critically evaluate research that should then inform the way you practice. For this reason we devote a lot of time to statistics, research methods, and research design. In addition, I would describe the program as having a CBT focus. While we have courses that explore all theories of psychotherapy, we have an entire course devoted to CBT. In our first year, we are trained in both cognitive and personality assessment techniques (two separate classes). Then at the beginning of the second year we are already at practicum sites performing assessments on actual clients. We have a wide variety of practicum sites available that you can match with your personal interests! For the remainder of the program, we are splitting time between school and practicum so by the time we graduate we have accumulated way above the average number of clinical hours.

Psy.D programs are expensive. Our chair knows this and is constantly searching for creative ways to help students financially. We have paid graduate assistant positions available that can help tremendously. In addition we recently received a 2.4 million dollar grant (HRSA) that goes directly towards our tuition! To put that in perspective, this grant currently covers about half of my tuition. After graduation, there are also HRSA sponsored student loan payment programs that will make 30 to 50 thousand dollar payments towards your student loan debt every two years for working with undeserved populations. Ultimately the cost/benefit decision is a personal one. You have to decide if the amount of debt is worth the education.

Ok so I could keep going but I don't want to overwhelm anyone. Feel free to respond with questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. If it sounds like I'm trying to sell you on Spalding it's because I am! I could not be happier with my decision to come here and would hate for someone to miss out on the opportunity to educate themselves in an exciting, nurturing environment because of a simple lack of information.

Members don't see this ad.

Spalding may want to spend a little more time preparing students to pass the EPPP, yikes 64% is low. But anyway, please let's not turn this board into dozens of lengthy testimonials.

Thanks for your response WisNeuro. I agree that 64 is low! The average listed here: http://bit.ly/1dezF7I is 80% for doctoral level candidates, but it is clear that Phd programs generally have higher pass rates than PsyD programs. 5 years is more than enough time for ANY program to ensure 100% pass rates, but PsyD programs generally allocate their time and resources to practical training. Does the EPPP pass rate reflect quality of program? The answer is yes, to an extent. Is EPPP test prep an area of needed improvement for Spalding: certainly. The asppb website states "There is no suggestion that people who do better on the EPPP will be better practitioners." With that being said, I believe that having a solid, generalist foundation of knowledge is extremely important for all practicing psychologists and the EPPP seems to measure this. EPPP is the gateway to licensure and 90% of Spalding's graduates since 2003 are currently licensed.

I checked posting guidelines and as far as I know I am not breaking any forum rules by posting my experiences. Clearly this post will not be useful for Post Docs but for students who are considering Spalding University's PsyD program, this might be a valuable resource. My goal is not to recruit people who are not already considering Spalding. I just know that I would have appreciated this info while I was applying to programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Understood, I will warn you that people on this board don't like what they view as "shilling." Student or not, these posts come off as if someone from the marketing department was trying to drum up business.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, that's good to know. That was certainly not my intention. I'm just trying to be helpful to students who I know from experience are facing tough decisions and lacking in resources.

Understood, I will warn you that people on this board don't like what they view as "shilling." Student or not, these posts come off as if someone from the marketing department was trying to drum up business.

That is kind of what this comes off as. However, reviews are appreciated. What if we had one mega thread for university Ph.D./Psy.D. reviews? Moderators, any ideas?

Reactions: 3 users
Good points MCP. In all likelihood, the EPPP, much like the GRE, is mostly a measure of g'. Sure, there are other factors, but g soaks up the most variance. I simply view it as an indirect measure of student quality.

A lot of what you described is pretty standard at PhD programs as well.

That is kind of what this comes off as. However, reviews are appreciated. What if we had one mega thread for university Ph.D./Psy.D. reviews? Moderators, any ideas?

I completely agree. While I understand we don't want the forum to become a giant list of testimonials for several thousand programs, I do feel that having a thread or sub-section dedicated to allowing current students to review their programs could be a fantastic addition to the forum. As an individual currently applying to programs I know I would have been very happy to have at least some information flowing in regarding students' views regarding their program.

Reactions: 1 users

I think it's fascinating that these posts are consistently made about expensive FSPS PsyD programs. No one from Penn State or OSU seems deeply moved enough to post about their programs with fascinating insights such as how they are expected to complete a dissertation or how nice the town is.

It might be because all the funded students are toiling endlessly in dark labs for their maniacal POIs. There is, of course, another explanation, probably too trivially obvious to bother to spell out.....

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like the average cohort size is 20. Ugh. No wonder we have an internship imbalance with so many programs admitting so many students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't this a requirement of *all* programs, PhD or PsyD?

Nope. Some PsyD programs seem to only require a "dissertation project" or equivalent, which basically amounts to a literature review or, in some of the more "rigorous" cases, things like an internet survey.

I agree that in my mind, a full-on dissertation should be done by everyone in clinical/counseling/school psychology doctoral programs, and cheers to Spading if that's what they truly require.

Good points MCP. In all likelihood, the EPPP, much like the GRE, is mostly a measure of g'. Sure, there are other factors, but g soaks up the most variance. I simply view it as an indirect measure of student quality.

The EPPP is a test on specific course content--while it may be measure of student quality to some degree, I'd be wary of associating it with general intellectual ability.

Nope. Some PsyD programs seem to only require a "dissertation project" or equivalent, which basically amounts to a literature review or, in some of the more "rigorous" cases, things like an internet survey.

To be fair, survey research *can* be well done and rigorous--not everything is easily or ethically made experimental (obviously, you can't randomly assign people to "sexually assaulted" and "not sexually assaulted" groups, for example), and running good quality treatment studies for a dissertation largely depends on having that infrastructure set up already. On the flip side, you can have experimental research that has considerable methodological issues (e.g., measuring stable constructs but having pre-test, intervention, and post-test all occur in one session). It's a matter of having rigor in your recruitment, measure selection, and analyses. Of course, a lot of students, especially from "dissertation project" programs don't do that, and you end up with stuff like "In this sample of my 50 twitter followers, anxiety was correlated with depression." My point is just that you can also have rigorous survey research and questionable experimental research

Reactions: 1 users
The EPPP is a test on specific course content--while it may be measure of student quality to some degree, I'd be wary of associating it with general intellectual ability.

To be fair, survey research *can* be well done and rigorous--not everything is easily or ethically made experimental (obviously, you can't randomly assign people to "sexually assaulted" and "not sexually assaulted" groups, for example), and running good quality treatment studies for a dissertation largely depends on having that infrastructure set up already. On the flip side, you can have experimental research that has considerable methodological issues (e.g., measuring stable constructs but having pre-test, intervention, and post-test all occur in one session). It's a matter of having rigor in your recruitment, measure selection, and analyses. Of course, a lot of students, especially from "dissertation project" programs don't do that, and you end up with stuff like "In this sample of my 50 twitter followers, anxiety was correlated with depression." My point is just that you can also have rigorous survey research and questionable experimental research

Completely agree, and didn't mean to imply that I had problems with all of survey research, or that it can't be done in a way that's appropriate for a dissertation. Just that, like you've said, the less-rigorous examples are what I've typically seen when it comes to dissertation projects (if said projects even involve data collection to begin with).

No doubt, but so are most tests. Most tests actually measure mostly the theoretical concept of g', besides maybe some vocational tech kind of tests. At its heart test-taking ability, which is what people complain about most on the EPPP, is simply g'.

I wouldn't say that. It looks to me like a helpful gesture, one I would do as well if I just completed a program as there are so any people out there who google information about these different programs and would love it to find a post like this. I love the idea for one thread on reviews though.

I wouldn't say that. It looks to me like a helpful gesture, one I would do as well if I just completed a program as there are so any people out there who google information about these different programs and would love it to find a post like this. I love the idea for one thread on reviews though.
Like I said, we should make one so it doesn't come off like that.

On the topic of dissertations:

Spalding requires all students to complete a dissertation but I'm honestly not sure how they compare to PhD dissertations. I would assume that a research-focused program would require more rigor from dissertations than a PsyD program but I have no basis for comparison. I'm currently in my second year and I have already begun data collection for my dissertation. It is a city-sponsored program evaluation and I actually just received funding! I'd prefer not to post too many details but feel free to message me if you want to know more about this project.

From what I've heard from the older students, dissertations are generally 100+ pages and are almost always original research. (Clearly length is not a measurement of quality but I'm just trying to weigh in on the "dissertation project" vs "dissertation" difference). I've heard of archival data being used for dissertations at Spalding but it seems like this is only allowed when a Spalding student was the one who originally collected the data; but I could be wrong. If you are considering PsyD programs mainly to avoid a large dissertation, I'm not sure if Spalding would be the best fit for you. With that being said, you might surprise yourself and enjoy the research as I have.

A general response to this thread:

Clearly there are issues regarding many PsyD programs, Spalding included. These issues have been discussed in length in this forum, and the general consensus is that if you can get into a PhD program, you should always go that route over attending a PsyD program. Nonetheless, PsyD programs do exist and sometimes produce great psychologists. The truth is, it would be difficult to complete 6 years of training without at least being adequate (not that I'm championing adequacy as a goal). I hear way more horror stories regarding ageing psychologists who refuse to keep up with the evolution of the field, than I do incompetent PsyD graduates but maybe some of you have had different experiences.

The Spalding SOPP faculty is extremely invested in improving the program. We often have class discussions about what a successful PsyD program would look like and strive to adapt our program to reach these benchmarks. Is it perfect? Of course not. Am I being given every opportunity at Spalding to become a successful, competent practitioner? Absolutely. So if for whatever reason you are planning on applying to PsyD programs, and want to know more about Spalding, ask away.

Looks like their APA match rate is 74%. No matter how good you feel your training is, that could be a problem.

OP,
I get where you're coming from with this thread, even though it has the potential (and has been) interpreted in a very different way than you intended.

That said, I'd argue (with no offense to you) that your program (and even your view of your dissertation) could look very different in 3-4 years from now.
Being on internship and nearing the defense of my dissertation (I hope!) my view of my program now is very different than when I was a 2nd year.

OP,
I get where you're coming from with this thread, even though it has the potential (and has been) interpreted in a very different way than you intended.

That said, I'd argue (with no offense to you) that your program (and even your view of your dissertation) could look very different in 3-4 years from now.
Being on internship and nearing the defense of my dissertation (I hope!) my view of my program now is very different than when I was a 2nd year.

Thanks for the sentiment! Clearly I have presented this information as a reflection of my experiences after completing my first year but as you said, I am certain that my opinions will change over time. I expected some backlash because of the nature of the PsyD vs. PhD debate that takes place both within this forum and in the real world. So the reaction to my post has not been a surprise, though I sincerely hope that at least a few people will find it helpful.

Thanks for the sentiment! Clearly I have presented this information as a reflection of my experiences after completing my first year but as you said, I am certain that my opinions will change over time. I expected some backlash because of the nature of the PsyD vs. PhD debate that takes place both within this forum and in the real world. So the reaction to my post has not been a surprise, though I sincerely hope that at least a few people will find it helpful.
No harm done. My first (or 2nd) post on this forum in 2008 was truthfully unprofessional complaining about some situation with my program. It's all about perspective. If you (whether on here or in person) tell people 5-10 years from now what a great and worthwhile program Spalding was for you, then that's what matters. Until you're through it your voice counts for less I think.

I expected some backlash because of the nature of the PsyD vs. PhD debate that takes place both within this forum and in the real world.

Just to be clear, no one had a problem with the fact that the program grants PsyDs.

What people had a problem with was the suggestion that the program is good based on irrelevant or incorrect information (that a dissertation is required, that the town is "nice," that the EPPP and internship match rates are not a concern).

This is just my own personal bias, but there's just something odd to me about allowing dissertation data collection beginning in year 2, especially if it's not thought to be a highly rigorous project (e.g., RCT with stringent inclusion and exclusion critieria). For my program, year 2 is when we collected data for our masters in addition to completing course requirements and clinical externships (which began in our first semester of our first year). It wasn't until our third or fourth year that we could really begin working on our dissertation (after completing said masters and the subsequent comp exams).

I've known folks in non-psych programs whose work from day 1 factored into their dissertations, but these were mostly STEM people whose grad careers basically entailed one long, multi-year research narrative.

This is just my own personal bias, but there's just something odd to me about allowing dissertation data collection beginning in year 2, especially if it's not thought to be a highly rigorous project (e.g., RCT with stringent inclusion and exclusion critieria). For my program, year 2 is when we collected data for our masters in addition to completing course requirements and clinical externships (which began in our first semester of our first year). It wasn't until our third or fourth year that we could really begin working on our dissertation (after completing said masters and the subsequent comp exams).

I've known folks in non-psych programs whose work from day 1 factored into their dissertations, but these were mostly STEM people whose grad careers basically entailed one long, multi-year research narrative.

I admit it is unusual to begin collecting data in the second year. This project kind of fell into my lap and I decided to run with it. The design is RCT/multi-wave/longitudinal. The reason I began so early is I will be collecting data for the next couple years and I'd love to defend before leaving for internship.

I admit it is unusual to begin collecting data in the second year. This project kind of fell into my lap and I decided to run with it. The design is RCT/multi-wave/longitudinal. The reason I began so early is I will be collecting data for the next couple years and I'd love to defend before leaving for internship.

That's a fairly ambitious dissertation project, then, and more power to you. I'm guessing the program requires a general exam rather than an experimental masters, then? Not that other programs aren't the same, of course, just that I couldn't see allowing a student to being collecting dissertation data before they'd completed their thesis.

That's a fairly ambitious dissertation project, then, and more power to you. I'm guessing the program requires a general exam rather than an experimental masters, then? Not that other programs aren't the same, of course, just that I couldn't see allowing a student to being collecting dissertation data before they'd completed their thesis.
Yeah, which is kind of the point between the two projects, right? To see a fair amount of growth and expertise from thesis to dissertation.

Psy.D program typically dont require a masters thesis/project.

Yeah, which is kind of the point between the two projects, right? To see a fair amount of growth and expertise from thesis to dissertation.

Yep. Unless the university is letting the OP turn the project into both a masters and dissertation. I've certainly seen that in other disciplines (e.g., the dissertation is essentially the thesis + a few newer published findings + some extra stuff thrown in just for the dissertation), just not in psych.

My program requires a masters thesis and doctoral project.

Honestly, I'd be wary of any program that calls it a "doctoral project" and not a dissertation. I'm sure there are schools that use the "project" nomenclature and require rigor, but it would throw about some initial red flags for me.

Honestly, I'd be wary of any program that calls it a "doctoral project" and not a dissertation. I'm sure there are schools that use the "project" nomenclature and require rigor, but it would throw about some initial red flags for me.

I'm sure, however, for the persons for whom that sort of things is designed and to whom it is marketed, a "doctoral project" is a huge bonus in looking at a program. No icky math at all.

You can read theses and dissertations from these programs though your library, you know (they're all scanned and put in the dissertation database). Many of them are quite shocking.

I'm sure, however, for the persons for whom that sort of things is designed and to whom it is marketed, a "doctoral project" is a huge bonus in looking at a program. No icky math at all.

You can read theses and dissertations from these programs though your library, you know (they're all scanned and put in the dissertation database). Many of them are quite shocking.
Im not talking about the raven type of project.

Hello friends,

The SDN was a priceless resource for me when I was deciding where to apply for graduate school so I'm here to give back!

I am currently a 2nd year student at Spalding University's School of Professional Psychology (SOPP) in Louisville, Ky and I'm here to answer any questions you have about the program or the city. Clearly I am biased because this was my school of choice but I will do my best to be as objective as possible. I do not officially represent the University in any way so nothing said here is legally binding or any of that jazz. OK, let's get started.

If you're interested in the basics regarding the Spalding's mission statement, accreditation, match rates, etc., here is the link to the website: http://spalding.edu/academics/psychology/about-the-psy-d-program/ I'm not going to go into that because this information is already available to you. You're here because you want information that numbers can't tell you.

My personal experience in this city so far has been great. The city of Louisville is very progressive, has great restaurants (I mean really great; read any food blog), tons of stuff to do from Louisville Bat's games at the minor league stadium, to "Downs after Dark," which is after-dark horse racing at Churchill Downs (site of the infamous Kentucky Derby). There are tons of parks and hiking trails as well as Mega Caverns with zip-lines. In addition, Louisville has a major airport and is within a day's drive of two thirds of the US population. It also has a surprisingly low cost of living compared to cities of equal size. Louisville is the most similar in size to Nashville, TN and Portland, OR; two cities that I personally love and think share many common characteristics with Louisville. I could go on and on about Louisville (seriously this blurb doesn't even scratch the surface) but you're here to know more about Spalding...

To be honest, I was a little weary when I committed to Spalding because I had read many mixed reviews (on this site as well as others). My undergraduate mentor recommended Spalding (among a few other schools) because he said that he had seen the faculty's research pop up from time to time in journals and knew a practitioner who had graduated from Spalding and was well respected and spoke highly of the program. What ultimately sold me on this school was the faculty and the 7 year accreditation (which is the longest accreditation that APA awards). When I came to interview, I was blown away at how much they cared about their students. These professors seemed to be completely invested in the success of every student, and this initial reaction has proven true over the past year. Additionally, I have become very close with my cohort. I have honestly met life-long friends since starting this program. I think that Spalding did a great job of choosing kind, compassionate, respectful students who are very easy to get along with. There is also an undeniable sense of camaraderie that i believe stems from a complete lack of competition between classmates.

Spalding is, from what I can tell, more research focused than some other Psy.D. programs. We have faculty sponsored research interest groups that churn out really interesting studies and get students very excited about the prospect of finding a balance between practice and research. We are required to produce and defend a dissertation and are not allowed to graduate without having done so. While you are all looking at Psy.D. programs because you want to work in the field instead of a university or lab, the faculty here believes that EVERY practicing psychologist should be involved in research to some extent.

Our program stresses the importance of "Evidence-Based Practice." What this means is you as a clinician will have to be able to understand and critically evaluate research that should then inform the way you practice. For this reason we devote a lot of time to statistics, research methods, and research design. In addition, I would describe the program as having a CBT focus. While we have courses that explore all theories of psychotherapy, we have an entire course devoted to CBT. In our first year, we are trained in both cognitive and personality assessment techniques (two separate classes). Then at the beginning of the second year we are already at practicum sites performing assessments on actual clients. We have a wide variety of practicum sites available that you can match with your personal interests! For the remainder of the program, we are splitting time between school and practicum so by the time we graduate we have accumulated way above the average number of clinical hours.

Psy.D programs are expensive. Our chair knows this and is constantly searching for creative ways to help students financially. We have paid graduate assistant positions available that can help tremendously. In addition we recently received a 2.4 million dollar grant (HRSA) that goes directly towards our tuition! To put that in perspective, this grant currently covers about half of my tuition. After graduation, there are also HRSA sponsored student loan payment programs that will make 30 to 50 thousand dollar payments towards your student loan debt every two years for working with undeserved populations. Ultimately the cost/benefit decision is a personal one. You have to decide if the amount of debt is worth the education.

Ok so I could keep going but I don't want to overwhelm anyone. Feel free to respond with questions and I will answer to the best of my ability. If it sounds like I'm trying to sell you on Spalding it's because I am! I could not be happier with my decision to come here and would hate for someone to miss out on the opportunity to educate themselves in an exciting, nurturing environment because of a simple lack of information.

Hi! I wished I found this forum sooner and I hope you can help. I have an interview scheduled on Wednesday for the PsyD program. Based on your experience and/or others, what type of questions should I expect during my interview? What qualities are they looking for in their students?

Hi! I wished I found this forum sooner and I hope you can help. I have an interview scheduled on Wednesday for the PsyD program. Based on your experience and/or others, what type of questions should I expect during my interview? What qualities are they looking for in their students?

Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far!

Be prepared to answer questions about why you chose psychology, why you chose PsyD, and why you chose Spalding. Consider how you could contribute to the program, not just what you could gain from the program. I interviewed at a handful of places and these types of questions are standard so preparing strong answers for these questions will help you prepare for all of your interviews. The faculty will want to know that you've done your research and that you're committed to 5+ more years of schooling. Grad school is emotionally and financially draining so make sure you have weighed all your options, done the math, and decided that you're completely committed! It's ok to admit that you don't have your whole career planned out, no one does, but be prepared to talk about your interests and track preference if you have one.

If you've been invited for an interview that means that you have met at least the minimum requirements and you look good on paper. The purpose of the interview is to attempt to find out what kind of student and peer you would be if accepted. Go out of your way to talk to other interviewees and Spalding student aids and make yourself stand out as a friendly, outgoing applicant.

Come prepared with lots of questions! This will show that you have a strong interest in the program. As cheesy as this sounds, stay calm, and be yourself. It's surprisingly easy to tell when someone is not being genuine.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Thanks so much... I'm trying to stay calm as much as I can and a bit worried about the culture shock I'm about to experience. Heck, I'm boarding my flight right now and that alone freaks me out lol.... You are currently a student at Spaldimg right? Is it possible that I can meet you to thank you?

Thanks so much... I'm trying to stay calm as much as I can and a bit worried about the culture shock I'm about to experience. Heck, I'm boarding my flight right now and that alone freaks me out lol.... You are currently a student at Spaldimg right? Is it possible that I can meet you to thank you?
Safe travels! I'll PM you to discuss.