St. Luke's College of Medicine, Philippines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• PRICELIST.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,446
Last edited:
a_anne08 said:
hi guys!

what exactly happens on th first day? i was told to come at 7am. i thought that would be a little too early. and, how many students would there be for each section?

7am? the program will start 9-9:30 am. Filipino time :laugh:

Just some tips. There are allotted textbooks for each subject, some of which i didn't use (pasaway ako e). Nearly all the books are available at the library, but only a portion of the student population actually use the library's books, instead they opt to buy their own. (security blanket?).

Absolute buy is the Harrison's Book of internal medicine. You're not a doctor if you don't have one (in my opinion), and Bate's guide to history and PE (you need to master bates!!) There are alot of books available in the library. Make use of it.

for 2nd-5th year: I highly recommend buying "text book of pathophysiology" if you want to have a better understanding on the pathologic process of the more common medical problems you will encounter. forgot the author though. there are only a few copies available in the library.

For physiology, I recommend Physiology by Ganong. Not the textbook for physio but his approach is easy to understand (goodbye guyton)

Anatomy: I would recommend the NMS-Anatomy reviewer. very concise, snell has good discussions though, together with a good atlas of anatomy.

histology: you need to buy an atlas of histopathology. (de-fiore's good, wheater's better) I passed without even reading bloom&faucet. listen to lectures, take notes, study the lab manual

Biochem: I HATED Harper's Biochem. Too complex for me, no need to torture yourself by trying to decipher Harper's. I passed biochem using BRS-Biochemestry, (Lippencott's biochem is also good) lecture notes and prayer (you also need to master the art of test taking). Biochem exams are the TOUGHEST. .

Neuroanatomy: buying a book is good, but listening to lectures and using the manual is enough.

Psychiatry/Behavioral science: no need to buy the thick kaplan unless you plan to go into psychiatry (or you want to become psychotic) listen to lectures, photocopy topics needed from the library.

Pathology / Microbiology / Parasitology: Unless you're a medtech or microbiologist you will definitely have a hard time in these subjects. prepare yourself for ALOT of scientific name memorization. (eg: Masakitus sautakus) I do not recommend buying Zinsser's microbiology. It's toooooooo big.

Pharmacology: Katzung! I don't have any tips here, had a hard time memorizing all those drug actions, interactions and classifications

Surgery: I used the baby schwartz together with lecture notes

Pediatrics: They will use Nelson's book of pedia for exams, no matter what they put in their lectures. (at least for our batch).

OB-Gyn: Williams obstetrics and Novac's gynecology worked for me. + lecture notes

Neurology: The adams book for neuro was waaay to complex for me, I recommend the illustrated neurology books. + lecture notes

Just my 2 cents worth. Did I miss any subject??

Members don't see this ad :)
purple_elephant said:
Hi! here's the price list of the first to third year med books that i'm selling. you can contact or e-mail me if you want to order. Thanks! :)

the harrison's comes with a CD right?

vanMD said:
jonjonmd said:
vanMD said:
naku.. bka ndi po..im an incoming 3rd year student lang po.. :) pero ganun din during our time nag-lect din ang biochem..hehe.. :laugh:

naks 3rd year. dapat master nyo na bates! at magbasa na kayo ng DeGowin's.
at magpakasawa na kayo sa lakwatsa, wala na kayo time sa clerkship at internship.

i already sent this out to some of the people on the boards but i figure i might as well post it on here. i'll be leving manila really soon and have some things to sell, so send me a message if you are interested.

Schwartz Principles of Surgery 7th ed- P2000.00
Nelsons Textbook of Pediatrics 16th ed- P2000.00

A light Microscope - P2000.00
The weights are going for P10,000.00 but if you buy the microscope i'll take P500 off the weights.

The set includes

1. an adjustable bench which has
- a dip station
- preacher curl attachment
- leg curl/leg extension attachment

2. An EZ bar
A 72 inch barbell
2 dumbbells

3. Standard weights
- 6 25lb plates
- 10 10lb plates
- 8 5lb plates
- 4 2.5lb plates

I see that most of the forumers in this thread are soon to be freshmen doctors at SLCM. I hope everyone would enjoy their stay at SLCM as most of us did when we were students. One thing that I can say is that there isn't any medical school as dynamic as SLCM when it comes to curriculum development, faculty and administrative matters and the like. Your senior schoolmates like jonjonMD and VanMD would probably attest to that. For the past three to four years, many things have changed and most of us have endured these changes (aka "hardships" of the COMPRE exams, change of grading system, change of deanship, tuition fee increase, etc.)--only to help our college reach its goal to be one of the top medical schools in the country.

The college is a neophyte among the medical academes. Ten years have past and our school is still on an ongoing process in molding high-caliber physicians. With this, we are building our credibility and hoping to be at par with the standards of our medical center (which is if not one of the best in asia).

My advice is to hold on. Enjoy your stay. Reflect on your failures. Be humble with success. Be mindful of your colleagues. Respect your seniors. Eat healthy. Have great sex. Sleep well. Pray for guidance.

God Bless and we will join you at the hospital in your senior years and watch you march in May 2011 during your graduation day! :) Welcome to San Lukas!

PS: JonjonMD, the most important subject you forgot is our FAVORITE....PREVMED!!!!. Need I say more!???!!!?? :laugh:

offtopic:
how many 1st year students did St lukes accept/have for sy 2006-2007?

chocopinipig said:
offtopic:
how many 1st year students did St lukes accept/have for sy 2006-2007?

About 2weeks ago, there were 90 students. Dont know how accurate that is now though

Hi!I'm kinda problematic with my med years. I'm a graduating student in UP Manila and I'm so worried that I might not continue studying there since they require a grade of at least 1.5 for girls and there's a great competition when it comes to NMAT score. Because of that I'm planning to inquire on St. Luke's med school. Until now, the site is under construction. Is there anybody here who can share some admission requirements (NMAT cut-off, required grade and units, etc.) and some procedures on applying at med school? I am also interested in the scholarships they offer 'coz it is also one of my worries. I know that 1 sem costs at least 90K.

doc_n_princess said:
Hi!I'm kinda problematic with my med years. I'm a graduating student in UP Manila and I'm so worried that I might not continue studying there since they require a grade of at least 1.5 for girls and there's a great competition when it comes to NMAT score. Because of that I'm planning to inquire on St. Luke's med school. Until now, the site is under construction. Is there anybody here who can share some admission requirements (NMAT cut-off, required grade and units, etc.) and some procedures on applying at med school? I am also interested in the scholarships they offer 'coz it is also one of my worries. I know that 1 sem costs at least 90K.
Don't give up yet on UP-PGH. It's not true about 1.5 grades for girls. Some are not even honor students (but most of them are). Just do well in your NMAT and interview and who knows? The good news is that a lot of med schools will now accept UP pre-meds. Even UST is accepting a lot from UP (they use to have mostly from UST undergrads). I have not seen any announcement about St. Luke's scholarship but you can inquire with their admssion office. They might be sympathetic as you are from UP. I also know that other schools like UERM and FEU-NRMF are giving some scholarships.

crossbow said:
PS: JonjonMD, the most important subject you forgot is our FAVORITE....PREVMED!!!!. Need I say more!???!!!?? :laugh:

Oh yes. sorry! :luck: . To pass prevmed you need Test taking skills + prayers + a bit of "Magic" :smuggrin: . hehehe :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
SLCM-WHQM has 2 types of scholarships, the "Academic scholarship" which is for those who graduated with honors, and the "William H. Quasha scholarship" for those who are not that intellectually gifted but are in need of financial assistance. There are groups of consultants in the medical center willing to sponsor a deserving student. I think you have to maintain a 90% GWA or above for the academic scholarship, but for the quasha scholarship you need to maintain a GWA of 80%. :)

oh, thanks to the responses. :) I'm just excited about med school though I know it'll be soooooo hard! thanks peeps...By d way, do u think that st.luke's is a competitive med school(w/out bias plz.)?I think it is and that's y im so interested... :cool:

doc_n_princess said:
oh, thanks to the responses. :) I'm just excited about med school though I know it'll be soooooo hard! thanks peeps...By d way, do u think that st.luke's is a competitive med school(w/out bias plz.)?I think it is and that's y im so interested... :cool:

hmmm.. define competitive? if its the boards, stluke's is often in the top 5. Facilities? go here. You will get Lectures + small group discussions (semi PBL??). airconditioned lecture rooms (the wooden seats hurt after sitting a while for guys though)

doc_n_princess said:
I will agree that they have the best facilities (with the highest tuition to boot). In terms of local board performance, they are still in the top 10 even if they slipped a little bit for the past 2 years. I will put it at the level of established schools like UERM-MMC or FEU-NRMF.

doc_n_princess said:

Hi. With the recent change of administration, the hospital has been very supportive of the college to the point that they have been giving many scholarship opportunties (also a tactic to encourage more students to go into St. Lukes). I don't think the website has been updated. It was the project of the previous dean but since his term had ended, I doubt if there is still someone who is interested to update the site. It would be better to call the registrar's office for requirements. The staff is very accomodating. Good luck to you!

doc_n_princess said:

Just to give you an idea.....this May 2006, out of the 120++ population of 5th year med students in St. Luke's (interns), only 58 of them (50% of the population) were allowed to graduate. The reason: Failure of the Comprehensive Examinations.

jonjonmd said:
Oh yes. sorry! :luck: . To pass prevmed you need Test taking skills + prayers + a bit of "Magic" :smuggrin: . hehehe :laugh:

Correct!!!!..Though I agree more on the "Magic" part...but I guess it is not that effective nowadays!!! hehehe..... :D

crossbow said:
I see that most of the forumers in this thread are soon to be freshmen doctors at SLCM. I hope everyone would enjoy their stay at SLCM as most of us did when we were students. One thing that I can say is that there isn't any medical school as dynamic as SLCM when it comes to curriculum development, faculty and administrative matters and the like. Your senior schoolmates like jonjonMD and VanMD would probably attest to that. For the past three to four years, many things have changed and most of us have endured these changes (aka "hardships" of the COMPRE exams, change of grading system, change of deanship, tuition fee increase, etc.)--only to help our college reach its goal to be one of the top medical schools in the country.

The college is a neophyte among the medical academes. Ten years have past and our school is still on an ongoing process in molding high-caliber physicians. With this, we are building our credibility and hoping to be at par with the standards of our medical center (which is if not one of the best in asia).

My advice is to hold on. Enjoy your stay. Reflect on your failures. Be humble with success. Be mindful of your colleagues. Respect your seniors. Eat healthy. Have great sex. Sleep well. Pray for guidance.

God Bless and we will join you at the hospital in your senior years and watch you march in May 2011 during your graduation day! :) Welcome to San Lukas!

Great Advice!

hey freshies... how's your first week at st luke's??? best batch huh! heheh.. goodluck and enjoy your stay!!!

Freshieeeess!! Freshy! freshy!!!! how's biochem?

I have a couple of questions-

-Where can I get in contact with the admission's office? (email, address, website, etc...)

-What is the NMAT cutoff?

-How far is St. Luke's from Ayala Heights?

Thanks in advance.

hi everyone...my name is dave and im a graduating nursing student... im planning to take up medicine this school year but its still a vague career. We are having a tight budget for my dream, we really cant afford all the expenses especially the high tuition fees...But i believe that God has a plan for me...i really wanted to become doctor and lend my hands to the needies...I know this is a calling...

Guys, if anyone of you who knows any institution that could give a great opportunity to hand in- Any scholarships will surely help. Pls let me know and share me the blessings...

Salamat...we can also be friends!

if u have any suggestions or violebt reactions...hehe. pls contact me at [email protected] or 09277568501...

thanx!God bless! I Hope to catch up with you soon!

hi everyone...my name is dave and im a graduating nursing student... im planning to take up medicine this school year but its still a vague career. We are having a tight budget for my dream, we really cant afford all the expenses especially the high tuition fees...But i believe that God has a plan for me...i really wanted to become doctor and lend my hands to the needies...I know this is a calling...

Guys, if anyone of you who knows any institution that could give a great opportunity to hand in- Any scholarships will surely help. Pls let me know and share me the blessings...

if u have any suggestions or violebt reactions...hehe. pls contact me at [email protected] or 09277568501...

daeve said:

If you can't get a scholarship from the private universities (St. Luke's, UST,UERM,FEU), you can try other public-supported schools that are affordable. PLM is accepting even non-Manila residents. UP's tuition is low although very difficult to get in. Schools in the south like WVSU (West Visayas State University) or MSU (Mindanao) have low tuition rates.
Also, try to pass your Nursing Boards so you can have a good option later.

hi doc! u graduated from st lukes po ba? parang may nabasa ko sa iasng thread the other day e...neway, may i ask how is st lukes compared to other medschools? do they administer spoon feeding learning? hows the mortality rate?

greetings! you can now have your medical books with you all along without bringing those big books to school. pleas contact me if you are interested. its 500 pesos for 2 cds. i can have the cds sent to you through LBC padala or we can meet up anywhere within metro manila.

these are the books i am using and have used so only 21 books are in my library. here's the list:

PDF files:

Bate's guide to physical examination and history taking 9th ed

Katzung Clinical Pharmacology

Harper's illustrated biochemistry 26th ed

Harrison's manual of medicine 16th ed

history and physical exam

medical microbiology

Robbin's pathologic basis of diseases 7th ed (pictures only, text is in pdb format 6th ed)

**pdb files (to be run in isilo application which is included in the package)

infectious diseases by cohen 2nd ed

williams hematology by Beutler 6th ed

grey's anatomy

Harrison's principles of internal medicine 16th ed (the whole book in contrast with manual of medicine which is in PDF format)

infectious diseases and antimicrobial notes

infectious diseases and clinicians' guide to diagnosis, treatment, and prevention

kaplan's textbook of psychiatry with images 7th ed

Nelson textbook of pediatrics 16th ed

Robbins pathologic basis of diseases 6th ed (text only, images are in pdf format)

Schwartz principles and practice of emergency medicine 4th ed

Schwartz principles of surgery, companion handbook 7th ed

Schwartz principles of surgery, 7th ed

Adams & victor's Principles of neurology 7th ed

William's Obstetrics 21st ed

*i will also include stedman's medical dictionary version 4.0(application)

if you are interested please contact me:

cellphone: 09182290076

e-mail: [email protected]

i'm planning to go to st. luke's this june (not yet enrolled). i was just looking for info about st. luke's on the net and i stumbled upon this really nice forum. wait, i already said that on the introduction thread!

anyway, i'd just like to ask what is st. luke's known for (aside form the 5-yr curriculum, which i mostly hear about)? and what is its most probable advantage over the other med schools in the phils?

furthermore, for those of you who already took the phil medical board exams, what was it like? i mean, i wanted to start preparing for it while i'm in first year, what do i do? what things should i remember the most? how bout USMLE?

sorry, many questions. guess, i'm just a BIT excited, that's all...

:laugh:

hi! im currently finishing my premed course and looking for probable medschools to study in. i've been considering st luke's and have a few questions that i would want to ask. regarding the medschool's scholoarship programs, do they also offer partial scholarships if one graduated with honors? i also want to ask the regular tuition fee of st lukes, how much does it cost per semester? please reply. im really interested in studying there. :)

does anyone know any condo or apt for rent
near st lukes med sch? thanks.

:)i am curious about the tuition fee at st.lukes... i'm looking for med schools and i really consider st. lukes... but money is quite an issue for me... i heard that there are a lot of scholarships offered there, but in case i didn't get the chance of those how much do you think will it cost me to study there (Philippine currency)?

yeah, i'm considering st. luke's too and i'm curious about the tuition and facilities. so i'm bumping this thread. :)

mortality rate in st lukes is high. I have no idea why... actually, its more that the administration is putting too much pressure on the students(?) and that they want to be the best school by 2010(?) and that most faculty members recently quit. from what i know the school is a bit "unstable" at the moment. But don't take my word for it. check out the facilities first.

Do NOT EVER equate what the school has to offer from the hospital. medical schools and the hospital are two DIFFERENT institutions. Just because St lukes has the best hospital equipment, doesn't mean it has the best medical school in terms of educational materials. Its best if you walk around the campus. Get a feel for the location. goodluck :)

hey there.

i just wanna know how is the Neurology department at SLMC in terms of patient loads, clinical cases, consultants, etc. i applied for residency training there.

thanks!

furthermore, for those of you who already took the phil medical board exams, what was it like? i mean, i wanted to start preparing for it while i'm in first year, what do i do? what things should i remember the most? how bout USMLE?

sorry, many questions. guess, i'm just a BIT excited, that's all...

:laugh:

if i were you, i wouldn't worry about the local licensure exams yet. at this time, it's wiser that you concentrate more on your studies, passing all subjects so that you can reach clerkship and internship (and of course, graduate with a degree of Doctor of Medicine). by then, you may have forgotten some of what you have learned during your 1st yr. (no kidding!)afterwards, you can start asking yourself what path to take - have your residency training here or somewhere else. 1 step at a time.

the phil medical board exams was tough but most of it was on pure luck (if you read the "right" reviewers for 2-3 months) and memorization.

sorry i cant say anything about the USMLE coz i'm just about to take the 1st step.

Hi everyone! I'm a fil-am who graduated from St. Luke's and will be starting residency in July 2006. For those of you who are interested in studying medicine in the Philippines, here's some information which was published last year in a local paper about my school.

Getting into Med School? Why St Luke's? 12 Reasons Why...

1. Its culture. SLCM is a close-knit community. Unlike big schools with hundreds in a class, our community allows you to know one another in familiar endearing ways. Your identity is preserved and interaction is more personal.

2. Its curriculum. SLCM has a traditional but innovative and integrated curriculum. Big group lectures are supplemented by small group discussions. Anatomy uses real cadavers for dissection, not plastic models for demonstration. Case studies are done starting first year.

3. Its faculty. Our best asset. The faculty undergoes continuous training in medical pedagogy (teacher training in creating instructional designs, test construction, student evaluation, educational research, presentation skills, and many more) and a number of them have advanced academic degrees in health profession education, public health and administration, etc. Our faculty:student ratio of 1:3 and its Student Advisory Program assure closer supervision and guidance of students.

4. Its track record. Only 10 years old, SLCM has an enviable share in the ratings of the Medical Board Examinations with its graduates in the Top 20, and batch average in the Top 10 amonth the 32 medical schoools in the Philippines. (Batch 2004 (my batch) has 6 Top notchers in the August 2004 and Feb 204 Board Exams)

5. Its scholarship offering. SLCM has a generous scholarship program for deserving excelling students. Those with Latin honors and those with high GPA and NMAT scores automatically get full or partial scholarships.

6. Its instructional materials. SLCM has the technological edge when it comes to scientific facilities and instructional materials. Our skills laboratory is the home of "Harvey" and "CardioSim" - two of the many assorted medical eductaional devices for hands-on training of students. The Objective Structured Clinical Examination (SCE) in the 5th year complements the Comprehensive Examinations given after year level.

7. Its facilities. Our lecture, discussion and conference rooms, library and other facilities are all air-conditioned. SLCM has a Prayer Room, a Computer Room with internet connections, a Food Court with various concessionaires, 4-level parking, and a large social hall for varied purposes. Around SLCM are townhouses, condominiums and apartments for rent, and eateries and convenience stores to serve your needs. And, no floods to wade in!

8. Its base hospital. St Luke's Medical Center is a 650-bed tertiary care hospital which is the Philippines' first (and Asia's 2nd) medical institution to be accredited by the prestigious Joint Commision International.

9. Its research. Research is fostered and backed-up financially by the Student Assistance Fund or by Professional Chairs of Research Chairs. Research outputs are published in the Students' Scientific Journal and the St Luke's Journal of Medicine.

10. Its social accountability. SLCM is always mindful of the marginalized sectors of society. In the 4th and 5th years (Clerkship and Internship), its students are immersed in 4 urban (QC) and 2 rural (Batangas & Nueva Ecija) communities to provide health care and education to the poor as integral parts of their training.

11. Its global competitiveness. SLCM has a Student Exchange Program which enables deserving senior students to undergoe elective rotations in Austria, Guam, Hawaii, Taiwan, and Thailand and gain clinical experiences and cross-cultural insights.

12. Its various programs.
SLCM exposes its students to alternative modes of healing, provides them with bioethical, managerial and economic perspectives of health care, and empowers them to assume leadership roles to become social mobilizers and agents of change.

There are a lot of good medical schools in the Philippines and, as a fil-am, it is not difficult to get into med school except for the University of the Philippines. It's surviving through medical school. Each year gets harder and harder. It's up to you to set your own goals and aspirations. (whether it's doing well in med school, doing some of your rotations in the US, the MLE's, or doing your residency in the US). I made the most out of my 5 years at St Luke's (1 year internship is required prior to graduation). I became fluent in Tagalog and participated in research and extracurricular activities as well. Graduating from St Luke's has been my ultimate experience to date and I have no regrets studying here. They have a nurturing staff who knows each student by name and has a majority of the amenities of the US. I can't wait to show my program what I can do in July.

If you're interested in studying at St Luke's, you can contact the registrar's office at 011-632-727-7610 or e-mail [email protected]

sounds really interesting...

i've heard that it is the finest hospital here in the philippines...

BUt i think UST is also a great school.

Why don't you try UST instead? :)

Goodluck to you.

I believe that being a doctor is somewhat a calling...

Godbless coz We actually don't have many doctors here.:)

Half the class won't be graduating?????????? Wow. Does that practically happen every year? That really puts things into perspective. After the crash course, do most of the students graduate?

Indeed, less than half the class of 2007 did not graduate :eek:because they were not able to pass the comprehensive exam. They were forced to take the 4 months (or less,im not sure) crash course cum board review which is held in the college building twice a week. And at the end of the review, if you still cannot pass the final exam, you will not be allowed to take the boards in February. That's a year delay already! I say abolish the compre exam, :thumbdown:its a scam!!!!!Its not fair for all those students not to graduate after 5 years. Take note, 5 years! They may not allow the students to take the board if they foresee that they were not prepared enough but LET THEM GRADUATE for Christsake!!!

We miss Dean San Luis! :love:He's a nice guy. He talks to students, he listens to them, he's approachable, really friendly. Best dean ever! Pls come back. Is that possible?

I'm new on this thread, so I thought I'd just say hi... I just graduated from Boston earlier this year (Bio/Anthro) and I'm really interested in going to St. Luke's for medicine proper. I just have a quick question for the FilAms studying there (hopefully you guys can help me out ;))... I'm planning to finance my medical education in the Phil with US fin.aid. Problem is, FAFSA needs a school code and St. Luke's doesn't have one (I called the university). For the FilAms studying here, how did you work out loans/finances with the school?

I'm also interested to know more about St Luke's as well... Any additional info about this school would be appreciated.

I'm new on this thread, so I thought I'd just say hi... I just graduated from Boston earlier this year (Bio/Anthro) and I'm really interested in going to St. Luke's for medicine proper. I just have a quick question for the FilAms studying there (hopefully you guys can help me out ;))... I'm planning to finance my medical education in the Phil with US fin.aid. Problem is, FAFSA needs a school code and St. Luke's doesn't have one (I called the university). For the FilAms studying here, how did you work out loans/finances with the school?

I dont think you can use FAFSA for schools outside of the U.S. (unless maybe it's some study abroad deal). The problem is, FAFSA requires the code because it usually sends the money to the school only, the school then takes out the tuition, and gives you the extra. I dont know how that would work in the philippines....just don't take what I said for granted...I could be wrong.
Best thing to do is call the FAFSA ppl..

Only 4 schools there have FAFSA code- UST, Fatima, AUF, and Silliman although i'm not sure if all of them are qualified for loans.

hi. im new in this thread. is it true that saint luke's hosp. is offering tcvs for only 6 years instead of 4-5 years gs + 4 years subspecialization?

^ have you already passed the local licensure exams to worry about that?

anyways, if u really wanna know try calling up the St. Luke's Hospital Graduate Medical Office at 723-0101/0301 ext. 4300 and ask about their TCVS program for your peace of mind.

hi. im new in this thread. is it true that saint luke's hosp. is offering tcvs for only 6 years instead of 4-5 years gs + 4 years subspecialization?

I think TCVS is still a fellowship program in St. Luke's. When I was an intern the only two surgical straight programs were urology and neurosurgery, although you have to rotate in GS for your first year. Majority of cases in St. Luke's are CABGs. Probably PHC would have more TCVS cases.

hi! i am currently a 4th year biology student and will be graduating next year. I haven't decided yet where I would be enroll for my medical degree... I've been in St. Luke's Hospital and they have good facilities. I am just quite hesitant since I have been hearing alot of rumors regarding this school. I heard some students of st luke's filed a CHED complaint and that many professors are resigning. My sister also have a friend who studies at st luke's and she says that alot of the students there are discontented with the school. I'm just curious. are all of these true?