Start a new practice in a distant state while working at old practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geauxg8rs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at my own clinic in a state where my family would like to move from. We want to start a new practice in a new state.

say i work at my new location Monday and Tuesday and fly to existing location for Wednesday through Saturday? fly back Saturday or Sunday.
As the new location gets busy I cut back on the old Location?

has anyone does this before? Any tips or thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No personal experience but sounds like a logistical nightmare tbh. What if your flight gets canceled? Maybe alternating weeks instead of splitting weeks?

Reactions: 2 users
Unless you have a partner in each state that will handle complications while you are in the other state, it could be disastrous.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a partner in each state that will handle complications while you are in the other state, it could be disastrous.
I mean as long as u don’t have pump or stim patients lined up out the door , don’t see the big deal ?

Reactions: 1 users
Seems doable to be honest Especially if no stim/pumps done initially. Maybe somewhere close enough to that you can drive to if needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Get a Tesla with FSD. So if flight is canceled you can drive without worrying about sleep deprivation driving.

Reactions: 1 user
Do own your practice currently? Curious how you'll be cutting back, and if it would just be more profitable to sell your current practice as is and start fresh.

Do own your practice currently? Curious how you'll be cutting back, and if it would just be more profitable to sell your current practice as is and start fresh.
I have a single doc practice. I have been told by many that they don’t want something that small. I guess i could always sell the patient list at the end to another practice

apparently you could get sued if there is inadequate coverage.

you need to establish someone being on call for you when you are at the other site. doesn't have to be in your office, but someone with ability to treat your patient.

apparently you could get sued if there is inadequate coverage.

you need to establish someone being on call for you when you are at the other site. doesn't have to be in your office, but someone with ability to treat your patient.
So if they call in the middle of the night saying they r still hurting despite your injection, you need to bump up the pain meds...?

I work at my own clinic in a state where my family would like to move from. We want to start a new practice in a new state.

say i work at my new location Monday and Tuesday and fly to existing location for Wednesday through Saturday? fly back Saturday or Sunday.
As the new location gets busy I cut back on the old Location?

has anyone does this before? Any tips or thoughts?
I know someone who did this for a few years. He wanted to continue to grow the first practice with the intention to sell it. He basically moved to another state and flew back for about 4 days/month and the rest of the time, the old/existing practice was staffed by NP.

In the end, as is usually the case with these things, he became exhausted, of course practices are hard to sell these days and he just dissolved the original practice.

It's one of the depressing peculiarities of medicine that you can spend a life building a fantastic business but no one wants to buy it in the end, except perhaps hedge funds or other groups with different priorities.