Stats of Applicants to Irish schools and Acceptance, Waitlist or Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! If you've been accepted to rcsi for the six year program please feel free to join our rcsi class of 2020 facebook group

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know how many people were interviewed? I have heard there were about 30 spots open. I'm really nervous because I interviewed for RCSI this year and then was rejected!

I don't know about RCSI, but usually there were about 30-35 spots for International students for Limerick. We had obviously more, 40 or so (and then about 10 for Australian, Polish, UK).

Word on the street is they are trying to increase the international number (we have bigger fees :p) but I would count on between 30-40.

Usually 90 are interviewed. So it's almost 50/50.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the interview did you find out whether you got accepted?
You should find out within 4 days of the last interview. It will come by email before you get it from fedex. Also, you guys have more interview dates than us...so I don't know if that means they are taking more people or increasing their selection pool! Either way I wouldn't stress out to much about the interview.

As the ABP people told me last year, "they are impressed with your application, that's why you're being interviewed. This is just to see your people skills and how you interact in a group setting" (since the course is all group work it's kind of important to assess it!)

But as sassa said, I do think they are increasing the class size again this year, so they'll probably take 40ish international students.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I received my acceptance to UCD's GEM this morning (I'm in Montreal, Quebec) - was shipped via FedEx from California. I posted them earlier, but my stats are:

GPA: 3.52 undergrad, 4.00 MSc
MCAT: 36Q (12 PS, 10 VR, 14 BS)
EC's: many long-term, clinical and non-clinical, publications, etc etc
Citizenship: Canadian/Irish

I'm waiting on results from a few Canadian schools - will likely be making the deposit anyways just to be safe. Congrats to everyone accepted thus far!

there have been a few people asking about match stats. UCD compiled a bunch of stats for each of the Irish schools last year. This years results aren't out yet since they are still in the process of being sorted out. But for Canadians/Americans wanting to return to Canada/US, look at the files at the bottom of the page(Irish match stats 2013)...they may be quite useful!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview notification from Limerick today
(first thing I've heard from an Ireland medical school- I was beginning to think my application was lost!)

Soooo.......anyone care to explain why everybody on the UK and Ireland forums seems to have adopted a vaguely racist Irish accent all of a sudden?? I understand we might be applying to a bunch of Irish schools but, not sure if this is the best strategy at showing them you're interested lol.
Ok so it seems to have been something going wrong with the site. I see now.

I have been over here since August, and no one speaks like a pirate ...

Apparently it's the site. Got it.

Last edited:
I just figured it out. It's April Fools day.

Screen_Shot_2014_04_01_at_16_11_08.png

Hello Everyone, I have been using this forum quite a bit so I think I should contribute something more. I received my UCD acceptance package yesterday. Here are my stats and I hope this can help someone:

I'm from: Ontario
My citizenship is: Canadian and European
Currently I'm: Working for a governmental agency in Europe
My GPA is: 3.6 (Honours Science) and 3.8 (Masters Science)
My MCAT Scores were: 31P, 33Q (but an 8 in verbal - so this is probably why I was screened out in North America)
ECs: Some clinical (local + international) but definitely not my strongest point, president of 2 university clubs, LOTS of research with many good publications (1 first author in a very well recognized journal)

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 4
I applied to: Ireland (Trinity, UCC, UCD, RCSI and UL), Canada (11 different schools on different occasions), US (32 MD schools but no DO schools) - strategically this may have been bad because I probably had a good shot at DO schools (but after writing 32 secondary applications over the summer and spending over 6000$ I just had no more energy left to apply the DO route in the summer - Irish applications were submitted in November when I had more time), however I currently live in Europe and love it and I have an EU citizenship, therefore I have a good chance at an internship in Ireland if all else fails with residency in North America
I was accepted at: UCD
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: Canada everywhere on 4 occasions, US everywhere this year (I only applied here once)

My first choice school is: UCD - When I visited Ireland and toured all the schools, I thought this one was the best fit for me, my learning style, and my background. I therefore emailed Atlantic Bridge and made sure they knew this and stated my reasons for this in detail. I don't know if this helped me in getting my first choice, but at least I know it didn't hurt me.

Just a quick reflection on this whole process. It's horrible being rejected 50+ times over the years. You really begin to loose hope and doubt yourself and your abilities. I worked my butt off at a good university and I really had nothing to show for it. But a wise mentor of mine told me I should/need to keep trying until I know its no longer possible. Until it really is no longer up to me. I realized over the years that I was probably just getting screened out based on my GPA and MCAT score. I have had 4 interviews in North America. All were MMIs which unfortunately is not my forte. I even took acting classes because I thought this would help (and actually it did work for a friend of mine). In the end I am confident in my decision to go to Ireland. I was sceptical at first but eventually I really wished I applied earlier. The schools really are amazing. Anyone on the edge should definitely fly over and check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised. I am aware however that my journey is definitely not over. I will have to work hard (probably twice as hard as a Canadian Medical School Graduate) just to get a residency, let alone a decent one. I picked Ireland over the Caribean and DO schools because in my specific case, if residency in North America doesn't work out I am more or less guaranteed a position in Ireland because of my citizenship. So in conclusion, I think everyone should weigh their own options and really think about their path to medicine. There is definitely no generalizing. Each route has advantages and disavantages. Keep trying and never give up. If you want something enough, if you work hard you will get it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone, I have been using this forum quite a bit so I think I should contribute something more. I received my UCD acceptance package yesterday. Here are my stats and I hope this can help someone:

I'm from: Ontario
My citizenship is: Canadian and European
Currently I'm: Working for a governmental agency in Europe
My GPA is: 3.6 (Honours Science) and 3.8 (Masters Science)
My MCAT Scores were: 31P, 33Q (but an 8 in verbal - so this is probably why I was screened out in North America)
ECs: Some clinical (local + international) but definitely not my strongest point, president of 2 university clubs, LOTS of research with many good publications (1 first author in a very well recognized journal)

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 4
I applied to: Ireland (Trinity, UCC, UCD, RCSI and UL), Canada (11 different schools on different occasions), US (32 MD schools but no DO schools) - strategically this may have been bad because I probably had a good shot at DO schools (but after writing 32 secondary applications over the summer and spending over 6000$ I just had no more energy left to apply the DO route in the summer - Irish applications were submitted in November when I had more time), however I currently live in Europe and love it and I have an EU citizenship, therefore I have a good chance at an internship in Ireland if all else fails with residency in North America
I was accepted at: UCD
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: Canada everywhere on 4 occasions, US everywhere this year (I only applied here once)

My first choice school is: UCD - When I visited Ireland and toured all the schools, I thought this one was the best fit for me, my learning style, and my background. I therefore emailed Atlantic Bridge and made sure they knew this and stated my reasons for this in detail. I don't know if this helped me in getting my first choice, but at least I know it didn't hurt me.

Just a quick reflection on this whole process. It's horrible being rejected 50+ times over the years. You really begin to loose hope and doubt yourself and your abilities. I worked my butt off at a good university and I really had nothing to show for it. But a wise mentor of mine told me I should/need to keep trying until I know its no longer possible. Until it really is no longer up to me. I realized over the years that I was probably just getting screened out based on my GPA and MCAT score. I have had 4 interviews in North America. All were MMIs which unfortunately is not my forte. I even took acting classes because I thought this would help (and actually it did work for a friend of mine). In the end I am confident in my decision to go to Ireland. I was sceptical at first but eventually I really wished I applied earlier. The schools really are amazing. Anyone on the edge should definitely fly over and check them out. You will be pleasantly surprised. I am aware however that my journey is definitely not over. I will have to work hard (probably twice as hard as a Canadian Medical School Graduate) just to get a residency, let alone a decent one. I picked Ireland over the Caribean and DO schools because in my specific case, if residency in North America doesn't work out I am more or less guaranteed a position in Ireland because of my citizenship. So in conclusion, I think everyone should weigh their own options and really think about their path to medicine. There is definitely no generalizing. Each route has advantages and disavantages. Keep trying and never give up. If you want something enough, if you work hard you will get it.

Wow very inspiring. Congratulations on your acceptance! :)

DID ANY INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FROM MIDDLE EAST GET INTO RCSI FOR 5 YEAR PROGRAM?

actually did any international student not through atlantic bridge get into rcsi after interview for 5 year program?

Received my acceptance from UCD on Tuesday!

I'm From: Connecticut, USA
GPA: 3.71
MCAT 32Q (12 BS, 9 PS, 11 VR)
Applied to UCD and Trinity + 10 US schools
First Choice was Trinity based on reputation alone but UCD upon further review.

This was my second time applying to medical school (1st time international). I am unsure if I am going to accept the invitation or not due to fears of being at a disadvantage when applying for residencies upon my return. I'm leaning towards accepting because it's just such an amazing opportunity but a part of me definitely wants to try for a US school one more time. Any thoughts or advice would be more than welcomed!

Congratulations to all who were accepted already and good luck to those still waiting! The program appears to be doing things in a very timely manner so you should know soon! I wish American schools followed the same principle.

Sooo... so far it seems to have been only UCD that has sent out notifications. Does anyone have any idea when Trinity or NUIG start accepting?

Sooo... so far it seems to have been only UCD that has sent out notifications. Does anyone have any idea when Trinity or NUIG start accepting?
Trinity & NUIG are sending they're acceptances. Some studdnts in this forum have already gotten their acceptance letters.

So are these UCD, TCD, NUIG acceptances for the GEPs or 5/6 year programmes?

Just got accepted to ucd for the six year program. I also got an acceptance letter from RCSI but its really hard to decide. I'm stuck in this dilemma, can you guys help me?

Last edited:
Just got accepted to ucd for the six year program. I also got an acceptance letter from RCSI but its really hard to decide. I'm stuck in this dilemma, can you guys help me?
Did u apply through atlantic bridge or an international student ? When did u hear back frm rcsi?

If you check the other thread you posted in about this, you'll find a couple of people have already answered you.

You have to decide for yourself, but UCD would be what I would choose.

Did u apply through atlantic bridge or an international student ? When did u hear back frm rcsi?
I am gonna go out on a limb here & say that all the international applicants here applied through ABP

If you are not American/Canadian, you have to have a portion of your second and/or third-level education in the USA or Canada, or at a US or Canadian school overseas in order to apply to ABP.

Check the FAQs in ABP website:
http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/faq/

I am gonna go out on a limb here & say that all the international applicants here applied through ABP

If you are not American/Canadian, you have to have a portion of your second and/or third-level education in the USA or Canada, or at a US or Canadian school overseas in order to apply to ABP.

Check the FAQs in ABP website:
http://www.atlanticbridge.com/medicine/faq/
No im an international applicant from middle east therefore ABP isnt for me andi figured everyone here applied through abp but id appreciate if anyone could tell me whether other international students heard frm rcsi

oh thats great ! heres hoping we both get into rcsi. altho heard nthn back as of now /:

I really hope so too. Oh in the invitation email they sent, they mentioned that inerview outcomes will be communicated on the week of the 28th of April.

On behalf of The University of Limerick Medical Society, we want to congratulate you and everyone else that received an invitation to interview from UL Graduate Entry Medicine! Please let us know if you have any questions and we will do out best to answer them.

We wish you the best of luck and hope to see you next year!

http://www.ulmedsoc.com/

I really hope so too. Oh in the invitation email they sent, they mentioned that inerview outcomes will be communicated on the week of the 28th of April.
Yeaaahh I know /: its still really far away but I hope we hear good news. :)
Hope for the best :D have u applied anywhere else othr than rcsi?

Any RCSI GEPs get an acceptance and give in their deposit yet? I'm a current RCSI GEP1 and we want to start getting you guys together and informed!