Staying in contact while waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rose Tyler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the etiquette for staying in contact with programs while being waitlisted? I've seen advice to email every so often to reaffirm your interest in the program and perhaps say that you'll accept an offer if extended one. I'm just not sure where the line is between professional and overly pushy.

I've been waitlisted at a masters program despite feeling like I had a strong connection with the POI I interviewed with. I also don't really have any other strong prospects this application cycle. I'd love to contact the graduate coordinator, especially to inquire about my position on the waitlist, but everything I write comes out feeling wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd email the POI to check in as you said in the first paragraph. Usually they have more clout because they will 1. fight for you if they really want you in their lab and thus 2. move money around if they can to guarantee you a spot. Reaffirming your interest will bring you back on the POI's radar and let them know that you are truly interested.