Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermhopefully

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Background: I am taking a year off to do research and have decided to delay STEP 2 CK until December of 2010 (essentially the latest I can take it so that it hopefully won't be a factor in my application). I did well on STEP 1.

Question
: I was thinking I could just knock out STEP 2 CS this year, (unlike my decision for CK). Isn't CS pass/fail? All the PD's/residency's would see is a pass or fail correct on my transcript? I just wanted to make sure that if I don't put in a ton of time to crush this thing and just kinda "get by with a pass" so to speak I wouldn't hurt my app. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks for any help in advance, good luck to all the appliers....

Members don't see this ad.

yep, just pass/fail. No scores involved. And yes it would be on your USMLE transcript when you apply so make sure to read First Aid for CS. It's not hard to pass but you should at least read that book so you know what to expect.

Sweet, so I just go in, study for maybe 2 weeks, pass this thing (and its totally either "pass" or "fail" right? no "high pass" or anything?) and call it done with STEP 2 CS right? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, so I just go in, study for maybe 2 weeks, pass this thing (and its totally either "pass" or "fail" right? no "high pass" or anything?) and call it done with STEP 2 CS right? Thanks for your help.

It is just P/F with no high pass or anything of the sort. However, make sure you don't blow it off, as sometimes people do and end up failing. It is not hard to pass as long as you speak English, wash your hands, are kind and attentive to your patient who does most of the grading, and came come up with a clear note that makes sense. First Aid is really all you need.

agree that you should not blow it off. it is an easy test, but every year there are US med students who fail it for whatever reason -- they are terrible doctors (probably not), don't read up on it beforehand, forget to wash their hands, get really nervous and act like idiots, etc... i studied for a week i think with first aid.
i don't know if i would wait that long on CK, but it is up to you. it is i guess a risk to take early but what if you don't match? it will be easier to get a good score if you take it early. if you did well on shelf exams then you should do well on CK. just my opinion, though. if you are not the gambling type then i guess waiting is the best option.

You don't need 2 weeks. It isn't like any other exam you have taken, unless your program prepares you with OSCEs, like mine did.

It isn't the required background in medicine that makes this thing difficult. It is the social dynamics that can make it nerve racking. I found preparing for CS more like rehearsing for a play, 12 of them back to back.

I don't know how else to explain it... The stuff that is repeated again and again and again in the long cases in the FIRST AID CS book is key! The stuff that looks obvious.

Here are some things to recall for each patient room you apporach:

1. READ THE STUFF ON THE DOOR

2. "PAUSE", "BREATH", AND COME TO YOUR DDx AND WHAT TESTS/LABS YOU MAY DO. YOU MAY BE THE LAST ONE IN IF YOU DO THIS. BUT YOU MAY BE THE FIRST OUT AS WELL. THIS ADVICE WAS GIVEN TO ME LAST YEAR WHEN I TOOK IT WAS MONEY!

3. KNOCK

4. INTRODUCE YOURSELF WITH A SMILE, ALWAYS SMILE!!!!

5. KNOW OUR ROLE

6. BE FRIENDLY

7. ALWAYS SMILE, WITH SINCERITY!

8. WEAR THE GLOVES IF IT IS STILL AN OPTION. IT IS ODD ENOUGH THAT YOU PROBABLY WON'T FORGET.

9. DRAPE THE PATIENT!!!!

10. ALWAYS ASK/TELL WHEN TOUCHING THE PATIENT AND EXPLAIN WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WHY.

11. USE SIMPLE LAYMAN ENGLISH TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING.

12. ALWAYS RETELL BACK WHAT THE PATIENT HAS TOLD YOU. ASK "Is that correct, do I have your story correct?", "Is there anything else, anything I missed?", "Did we cover everything?".

13. BEFORE WRAPPING UP ASK "Do you have any questions?"

14. BEFORE LEAVING MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE PATIENT WITH A SENSE OF CONNECTION, "My office will be getting a hold of you with the lab results", "If you have any questions always feel free to call my office", AND SO ON...