Still Some Bias Against DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s a fair point. But I’m not at a stage where I can really judge residencies. I’ll hold my judgements for when I get to a point where I feel that I can. My kneejerk is to believe you, but with a grain of salt. My belief is that many match for prestige or geography. Those fail to achieve either would likely have a lot to complain about. But I could just as well see their complaints being valid. I can see both sides and without more information or experience, I just can’t personally make heads or tails of it.
It doesnt take much insight to know a 60 bed hospital which sends out all their sick patients is not someplace you would rank as your first choice for residency. I agree that many try to match to further their career or for geography. My wife matched for geography, but she could have matched anywhere in the country. Being a very good student helps. I taught at an upper tier university in what many consider a top 10 residency program and the other half of my career at an established COM. I am familiar with both sides. The lower third of our class will end up in places like I described. Marginal students in marginal residencies produces what kind of Doctor? I believe we have more spots than qualified candidates for med school with the rush to open more new schools. Yet organized medicine continues the push to open more schools , DO and MD. I dont know if you are a pre med or a med student, but residency slots will be tight for a few more years. So work hard, learn the game and play it smart. Good luck and best wishes!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Seriously? Has no one has ever looked at a residency program in a specialty and seen more than two IMGs in it and thought, hmm might be less competitive than a residency program full of t-5s?

To bridge off of this to something related but totally not the point of your post or this thread lol...

Does anyone know how to interpret a roster that is 99-100% IMG/FMG? Would that mean it’s easy to get into as a DO? Like does that reflect a program that is “below” DOs/“stuck with” IMG/FMG? (For lack of a better word, just trying to convey what I’m trying to sort out). Or so anti-DO that they would rather fill with 100% IMG/FMG than ever take a DO?

I’m referring to some community IM programs I’ve looked at.

To bridge off of this to something related but totally not the point of your post or this thread lol...

Does anyone know how to interpret a roster that is 99-100% IMG/FMG? Would that mean it’s easy to get into as a DO? Like does that reflect a program that is “below” DOs/“stuck with” IMG/FMG? (For lack of a better word, just trying to convey what I’m trying to sort out). Or so anti-DO that they would rather fill with 100% IMG/FMG than ever take a DO?

I’m referring to some community IM programs I’ve looked at.

These programs are likely IMG sweatshops. I would avoid them like the plague. They bring in IMGs knowing they can make them work as much as they can and the IMG/FMGs won't complain.

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
The Rad PD was honest and people fault him for being elitist? Honesty should always be applauded. There are too many people who won't speak their mind or the "Mob" will go after them.

I applaud him for being honest. Call a spade a spade. Just tell the truth without malice and no one should judge you.

Lets be honest. If a program hired 90% IMG because the PD loves IMG, most AMGs would never give them a second look.

As an MD, I would be wary if a residency had >50% DOs. A few would not give me any pause.

Reactions: 4 users
Why would there not be bias against DOs? Frankly, we know that DO schools are generally inferior to MD and people go to DO if they don't get into MD.

So any program that abides by the rules of human nature will prefer MD over DO. Now, that poster is clearly at a program that can fill with quality MDs so why would they

Reactions: 2 users
MBBS and foreign Caribbean are also given MD titles after they come to US so I am not sure how this DO bias and MD stuff matters.. You cannot change others, be proud of who you are.. There will always be people who disagree and have bias against you.. you cannot change it.. Some PD's standards are Ivey league MD's only, what can you do if you they have this bias against and you go to a state MD school..., does this mean you are worse than Ivey league MD's.? Seriously who cares?
These are the type of people who you do not want to work with whether you are MD or a DO.. Even MD's will stay away from programs like these and applicants are very wary of these types of programs. Imagine working with them.. jeez.. imagine spending 3,4 or 5 years with them.

Last edited:
MBBS and foreign Caribbean are also given MD titles after they come to US so I am not sure how this DO bias and MD stuff matters.. You cannot change others, be proud of who you are.. There will always be people who disagree and have bias against you.. you cannot change it.. Some PD's standards are Ivey league MD's only, what can you do if you they have this bias against and you go to a state MD school..., does this mean you are worse than Ivey league MD's.? Seriously who cares?
These are the type of people who you do not want to work with whether you are MD or a DO.. Even MD's will stay away from programs like these and applicants are very wary of these types of programs. Imagine working with them.. jeez.. imagine spending 3,4 or 5 years with them.

There is a lot of misinformation and baseless assumptions in your post.

First of all, I think you are confusing malignant programs with programs that typically only rank applicants from top medical schools... those are not the same thing. Top tier academic research programs usually always have this bias - it's ridiculous to assume that "MDs will stay from" these progams, when they're the most desired residency programs. You're also assuming that just because someone has a bias against DOs, they're going to be terrible to spend time with. I've spent enough years with residents and faculty in top programs to know that this is false. You would have known it to be false, as well, had you spent time with them instead of just assuming that they're filled with horrible people.

Second of all, you can't just assume that the MBBS/MD degree from a foreign country is inferior to the US DO degree for attaining residency. There are actually many circumstances in which a foreign MD is actually better than having a DO degree when it comes to getting into some top programs. MGH internal medicine is a good example. Other examples are two of the most pretentious ophthalmology residency programs in the nation, Hopkins/Wilmer and Harvard/MEEI - recently, Hopkins matched an MD from Aga Khan University in Pakistan (which grants the MBBS degree), and Harvard has matched numerous foreign graduates from no-name schools, two of whom are now faculty I personally work/worked with. Of course, these applicants were exceptional, but the point is that these programs will never touch any DO with a 1 million foot pole. For these programs, and others like them, it goes something like this: MD from top schools > MD from anywhere in the world >>>>>>>> DO.

I understand people are probably upset at the bias, but it's really not hard to understand. Having DOs in a residency program certainly isn't going to help the program, and it can easily do the opposite in terms of harming its prestige. No one hates you - they just don't want you to harm what they've been working so hard to achieve.

As an MD, I would be wary if a residency had >50% DOs. A few would not give me any pause.

This is exactly the point. I don't know why people don't understand this. Even 1 DO in the residency roster every year or two may turn some top applicants away. PDs know this.

There is a lot of misinformation and baseless assumptions in your post.

First of all, I think you are confusing malignant programs with programs that typically only rank applicants from top medical schools... those are not the same thing. Top tier academic research programs usually always have this bias - it's ridiculous to assume that "MDs will stay from" these progams, when they're the most desired residency programs. You're also assuming that just because someone has a bias against DOs, they're going to be terrible to spend time with. I've spent enough years with residents and faculty in top programs to know that this is false. You would have known it to be false, as well, had you spent time with them instead of just assuming that they're filled with horrible people.

Second of all, you can't just assume that the MBBS/MD degree from a foreign country is inferior to the US DO degree for attaining residency. There are actually many circumstances in which a foreign MD is actually better than having a DO degree when it comes to getting into some top programs. MGH internal medicine is a good example. Other examples are two of the most pretentious ophthalmology residency programs in the nation, Hopkins/Wilmer and Harvard/MEEI - recently, Hopkins matched an MD from Aga Khan University in Pakistan (which grants the MBBS degree), and Harvard has matched numerous foreign graduates from no-name schools, two of whom are now faculty I personally work/worked with. Of course, these applicants were exceptional, but the point is that these programs will never touch any DO with a 1 million foot pole. For these programs, and others like them, it goes something like this: MD from top schools > MD from anywhere in the world >>>>>>>> DO.

I understand people are probably upset at the bias, but it's really not hard to understand. Having DOs in a residency program certainly isn't going to help the program, and it can easily do the opposite in terms of harming its prestige. No one hates you - they just don't want you to harm what they've been working so hard to achieve.

This is exactly the point. I don't know why people don't understand this. Even 1 DO in the residency roster every year or two may turn some top applicants away. PDs know this.

I personally know many people who turned down MD acceptances to go the DO route and vise versa. It seems like people have a personal agenda against DO's.

I personally do not want to argue what you are thinking because you are using words to convince yourself that MD>DO... Great... good for you, Keep believing that and that is your opinion, and it seems like nothing I or any others here who say this can convince you otherwise.... I am however saying that people would not want to work in a toxic environment where people are so big in egos and their great MCAT scores...Imagine working with them.. These kinds of toxic misconceptions/rumors/workethic comes out when people are in residency or regular work when they work with other docs/nurses/PT/PA's. Do they treat nurses/PT/PA's differently because they think they are inferior to them?Of course they do... And a program that supports this kind of culture is gonna reflect that on how they treat their residents(MD's or DO's)... It sometimes is not evident during the interview for a program but the resident(MD or DO) or an attending finds it out after working with them for a few months and MD's or DO's do not like working with this kind of a group..

Many people are stuck in their premed mode.. I am hoping med school/residency and experiences with people who are sick would help them grow up, but I guess I am wrong.... Good luck to you.

Last edited:
am however saying that people would not want to work in a toxic environment where people are so big in egos and their great MCAT scores...Imagine working with them.. These kinds of toxic

Have you not worked in the OR? Toxicity is not a rare commodity.

I personally know many people who turned down MD acceptances to go the DO route and vise versa. It seems like people have a personal agenda against DO's.

I personally do not want to argue what you are thinking because you are using words to convince yourself that MD>DO... Great... good for you, Keep believing that and that is your opinion, and it seems like nothing I or any others here who say this can convince you otherwise.... I am however saying that people would not want to work in a toxic environment where people are so big in egos and their great MCAT scores...Imagine working with them.. These kinds of toxic misconceptions/rumors/workethic comes out when people are in residency or regular work when they work with other docs/nurses/PT/PA's. Do they treat nurses/PT/PA's differently because they think they are inferior to them?Of course they do... And a program that supports this kind of culture is gonna reflect that on how they treat their residents(MD's or DO's)... It sometimes is not evident during the interview for a program but the resident(MD or DO) or an attending finds it out after working with them for a few months and MD's or DO's do not like working with this kind of a group..

Many people are stuck in their premed mode.. I am hoping med school/residency and experiences with people who are sick would help them grow up, but I guess I am wrong.... Good luck to you.
Then you “personally know” some dumb people.

People can have high stats AND good personalities. Also, people can be poor test takers and a pain in the butt to be around. Sounds like you’re just projecting negative attributes into others to justify your own shortcomings. Maybe you should spearhead the next “Doctors that DO” campaign.

Just because someone did better than you or I on the mcat, does not mean they’re intolerable people. But people with an inferiority complex/chip on their shoulder usually are pretty annoying.

Then you “personally know” some dumb people.

People can have high stats AND good personalities. Also, people can be poor test takers and a pain in the butt to be around. Sounds like you’re just projecting negative attributes into others to justify your own shortcomings. Maybe you should spearhead the next “Doctors that DO” campaign.

Just because someone did better than you or I on the mcat, does not mean they’re intolerable people. But people with an inferiority complex/chip on their shoulder usually are pretty annoying.
I mean I could care less about the letters after my name but the flip side of your last sentence are true as well...

If you didn’t realize what you were signing up for that’s on you not the system.

Sabs point is true when it comes to prestige driven specialties out east, but I know several DOs who manages to get interviews and is now at a top hospital in the country on the east coast.

It really is ridiculous how many times we can repeat the same post

If you didn’t realize what you were signing up for that’s on you not the system.

What we signed up for isn't what we are getting because the AOA is pumping a bunch of low quality students into the pipeline from schools run by people with online degrees. We have every right to call a spade a spade.

I'm always amazed at how certain people like to jump in and defend the AOA/COCA/NBOME as if they have some loyalty to them, because they definitely haven't shown any loyalty to us.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
What we signed up for isn't what we are getting because the AOA is pumping a bunch of low quality students into the pipeline from schools run by people with online degrees. We have every right to call a spade a spade.

I'm always amazed at how certain people like to jump in and defend the AOA/COCA/NBOME as if they have some loyalty to them, because they definitely haven't shown any loyalty to us.
Then, you should probably complain directly to AOA/COCA/NBOME. Complaining here in these threads isn't doing anything. You guys keep complaining on SDN and new schools are still opening. I mean at some point you gotta get tired of doing the same thing and try something different like contacting those entities directly because it seems like I keep reading the same posts from you every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to agree with @AnatomyGrey12 on this. I honestly don't mind the AOA approving solid DO institutions that will provide a good education for students and turn them into good clinicians for the community. After all, that's what medicine is all about. It's no longer even the whole DO = primary care thing anymore. It really disgusts me that we're approving nobodies like some random pharmacists off the street with money to open some garbage DO school that doesn't provide an adequate education for students to be trained into good clinicians. These new DO schools run by pharmacists and some online degree CEOs, Deans, etc.... are nothing more than Ponzi schemes in the name of profit. In my opinion, they're nothing more than Caribbean schools disguised as DOs.

Mark my words. The attrition rate + unmatched numbers from these garbage institutions will be very high down the road. Is that what we really want? I'm fine with DOs having a hard time to match into prestigious institutions or top specialties. We all know that a few years ago. But, are we now fine with more DO schools without adequate resources as well? At the end of the day, the goal of medical school isn't to graduate with a doctorate, but to secure a residency. Opening a school that will have about 20-30% of its students unmatched is immoral.

Last edited:
Then, you should probably complain directly to AOA/COCA/NBOME. Complaining here in these threads isn't doing anything. You guys keep complaining on SDN and new schools are still opening. I mean at some point you gotta get tired of doing the same thing and try something different like contacting those entities directly because it seems like I keep reading the same posts from you every day.

Oh I will. But not until I am in a position where they can't intentionally ruin my life.

Oh I will. But not until I am in a position where they can't intentionally ruin my life.
Same. All I can do at this point is make some noise on these fora and maybe raise awareness that the DO degree is more of a raw deal every year. There’s lots of stuff online from even 10 years ago that paints a MUCH rosier picture of DO opportunities and that should not be some unsuspecting premeds only exposure prior to applying.

But lots of incoming DO students think that the only thing they’ve given up with the DO degree is competitive fields at top 20 programs.

I could care less about the AOA. I have never defended them because they are messing up.

But I wasn’t gunning for ortho in a major city or I would’ve made myself more competitive and gone MD. Like don’t go DO then be shocked at the uphill battle cmon now

Reactions: 1 users
At least he’s honest but he sounds like a turd. If I was going into something somewhat competitive I’d prob call programs and ask if they take DOs and then ask what usmle score would change their mind if they didn’t. If they said it wouldn’t I’d just hang up and call the next. But honestly I’ll Take my 270+ elsewhere if he/others dont care for DOs

Next

Only top programs/some super competitive specialties have an unlimited supply of super good applicants so the run of the mill (funny thing is this guys program sounds run of the mill but he makes it sound like they lay gold bricks out there) want the best they can get

As that PD said, a 270+ doesn’t mean that much.

A program only really cares that you are good enough at tests to pass boards and studied enough to show a reasonable work ethic and start with some basic knowledge. So setting a cutoff is reasonable, especially if there are too many applicants, but you aren’t bringing much more than bragging rights with those extra points.

Someone with a good reputation in the field vouching for you is worth a lot more than your 270+.

The DO stigma is real and yes, MD students use number of non-traditional residents as a benchmark when ranking midtier programs. So a PD is somewhat justified in being reluctant to match DOs.

We’re all working with imperfect information here, so if matching a DO is a signal that a program is less competitive, programs will rationally put DOs at a disadvantage for matching.

Same. All I can do at this point is make some noise on these fora and maybe raise awareness that the DO degree is more of a raw deal every year. There’s lots of stuff online from even 10 years ago that paints a MUCH rosier picture of DO opportunities and that should not be some unsuspecting premeds only exposure prior to applying.

This. Even 5 years ago things were VERY different.
But I wasn’t gunning for ortho in a major city or I would’ve made myself more competitive and gone MD. Like don’t go DO then be shocked at the uphill battle cmon now

Lets run with your analogy, do you realize that just a few short years ago it was actually easier to do ortho as a DO than as an MD? So that's a bad argument. DO prospects go down more and more every year for the average applicant. There will be over a THOUSAND more DO students entering the match the next 3 years without a corresponding increase in residency programs started by the schools pumping out these graduates. Come on now....

We might not be able to do much as students right now but we can for sure call a spade a spade. You have to realize by now with how much I've posted about it that I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into, and that to this day am very confident in my ability to match the field of my choice. I am not just being vocal because I am not performing well.

• Sad
original

People do pay money for cowpies. People go to naturopaths, homeopaths and chiros all the time. People even pay for NPs.

Good luck, clearly you are deep in the kool-aid.

And then people wonder why DO ACGME matches are not as high as MDs.

I misread that for a second as churros.

They taste better, and are closer to being real doctors.

Lets run with your analogy, do you realize that just a few short years ago it was actually easier to do ortho as a DO than as an MD? So that's a bad argument. DO prospects go down more and more every year for the average applicant. There will be over a THOUSAND more DO students entering the match the next 3 years without a corresponding increase in residency programs started by the schools pumping out these graduates. Come on now....

We might not be able to do much as students right now but we can for sure call a spade a spade. You have to realize by now with how much I've posted about it that I knew EXACTLY what I was getting into, and that to this day am very confident in my ability to match the field of my choice. I am not just being vocal because I am not performing well.
Oh I have zero problem with a thing you’re saying. AOA is messed up. It just is a normal thing for people on here to be shocked by not getting top choices in top locations. Which I don’t understand.

Idk the sky never actually falls so I just kinda keep chugging along

You guys are getting screwed over by your organizations.

COMLEX is just a money grab at this point.

I assume the rapid expansion of DO programs is as well (or strategic to keep degree relevant with quantity).

Any DO program that can meet LCME requirements should be given the option of offering MD degrees instead. (And maybe ditch the whole magic bones thing too.)

Why would there not be bias against DOs? Frankly, we know that DO schools are generally inferior to MD and people go to DO if they don't get into MD.

So any program that abides by the rules of human nature will prefer MD over DO. Now, that poster is clearly at a program that can fill with quality MDs so why would they
Says the kid about to start at a foreign MD school. Lol. Good luck in 5 years bud.

I misread that for a second as churros.

They taste better, and are closer to being real doctors.
We have 40,000! nps graduating each year, with independent practice in 50% of america, and this genius is still beating the "real doctors" drum. Gives tone deaf a new meaning.

Just being curious, what field are you interested in?

We have 40,000! nps graduating each year, with independent practice in 50% of america, and this genius is still beating the "real doctors" drum. Gives tone deaf a new meaning.

:lol:

What are you talking about?

Is this a defense of chiropractors? Seriously?

Unfortunately there is still some bias against DOs.
Read this post from a radiology PD with dismay:
6. Our residency essentially filters out applicants who are IMGs—to be honest, I think there are some outstanding candidates in this group particularly from those individuals who are not from the US, but the problem is that it is really difficult to find those for me because we don’t use test scores as much in our ranking process. Communication skills are very important to us, and that can be a sticking point for some IMGs who did not grow up in the US that we don’t understand until the interview, and I don’t want to waste people’s time with interviews if there is a low chance of success. On the other hand, we understand there are some life circumstances and other legitimate reasons why some applicants who are US based ended up doing medical school internationally. So I download these into my spreadsheet, dig deeper at maybe the candidates with board scores above 250 to see if I recognize the school, review publications, special experiences, special circumstances, etc. Sometimes a colleague will ask me to look carefully at a person that someone in their field has highlighted for them. We do interview a few IMGs every year (< 5), and some are quite good. However, they face hurdles all along the way in our ranking process—just being honest.

7. We do the same as #6 for DO candidates. We do interview a few every year (< 3), but we believe there is a penalty for our program in future applicants if we have a number of DO residents, mainly because there is the perception that we couldn’t attract the best MD candidates. It’s unfortunate for some DO students who are going to be great, but it is reality.

Trying to be as honest as possible. Here are the problems for our program with respect to most DO applicants and certainly all IMG applicants:
1. The perception (again, perception) that we struggled to fill the program if a number of our residents are DO/IMG. Without trying to give away too much, I'm not at Mallinckrodt--my program isn't one of those 15+ residents/year beasts that can have an IMG or DO and everyone decides "dang, that person must be awesome"--instead, for us, because we have a smaller program, the impression will be, "why couldn't they fill with AMGs". Realize that this is not just a perception among applicants--I'd have explain to all my faculty (none of whom are DOs) that we really wanted this DO--they are going to think we had a bad Match.
2. More importantly (seriously)--the DO schools do a terrible job stratifying their medical students. This is the real problem I have with understanding how to asses my DO applicants. Even worse for the IMGs. More than 50% of a typical DO class (sometimes 80%, it seems to me) get "straight A's" in the clinical years. The written commentaries on performance are woefully short (one sentence, maybe two). I don't know the radiologists that have worked with them, so I don't get any familiar letters that would boost an applicant. Many of the radiology departments that the DOs have worked in aren't particularly academic, so they haven't impressed in research. Since I really don't care if you get a 240 or a 270 on your USMLE, it becomes that much harder for me to be impressed by a DO student who got 270 on their boards (by the way, I do care if you get less than 240, so please do as well as possible on your USMLE). Even though we purposefully "overinterview", I have far more applicants than individuals I can invite. If you are a DO, your best bet to get into my residency would be to have an advocate that I'm familiar with call me and tell me you walk on water. I'd happily go to bat for you then, with my faculty and with future applicants.

Radiology Faculty--Answering Questions/"AMA"

Makes PERFECT sense to me.

Medical schools are the exact same way with being concerned about their average matriculating class GPA and MCAT. A 3.1 BME major from UVA worked really hard for that 3.1 and is well prepared but the 3.9 literature major from Lynchurg College won't bring their stats down. If med schools can care about looking like they attracted the best of the best then why are people so dismayed by residencies doing the same thing?

People need a reality check

Says the kid about to start at a foreign MD school. Lol. Good luck in 5 years bud.

Wtf are you talking about lol? That was the backup plan as of like 2 years ago prior to getting into a US MD this cycle. I am flattered that you decided to go back that far in my search history because of how insecure my post made you. Surprised you glossed over the parts where I talk about how I got into a US MD school in more recent posts..

Good luck in 5 years working in rural FM.

Last edited:
Makes PERFECT sense to me.

Medical schools are the exact same way with being concerned about their average matriculating class GPA and MCAT. A 3.1 BME major from UVA worked really hard for that 3.1 and is well prepared but the 3.9 literature major from Lynchurg College won't bring their stats down. If med schools can care about looking like they attracted the best of the best then why are people so dismayed by residencies doing the same thing?

People need a reality check
:rofl:

Wtf are you talking about lol? That was the backup plan as of like 2 years ago prior to getting into a US MD this cycle. I am flattered that you decided to go back that far in my search history because of how insecure my post made you. Surprised you glossed over the parts where I talk about how I got into a US MD school in more recent posts..

Good luck in 5 years working in rural FM.
Lol you say rural FM like it's a bad thing. These guys are making bank dude.

Who cares?

I’m an anesthesiologist and a pain physician at a major academic institution. I used my DO degree to get me through the doors, and now I’m extremely successful. The rest is intellectual masturbatory crap.

Do the work and be disciplined in undergrad and go to a top MD school if you’re the type that is going to later whine about inequity. Go into a DO a school with open eyes. I am proud of my DO Degree, but I have always understood that I live in an MD-funded medical world. They owe(d) me no favors. I took an alternate path and am asking to play in their sandbox (at which, by the way, I do extraordinarily well).

Our choices have meaning in life. Your choice to pursue an alternate medical pathways has meaning and bearing on how you will practice and how some idiots will view you clinically. Don’t let it own you... there are more than enough high quality opportunities out there with/for whom you’d be proud to work.

Reactions: 15 users

I don’t think that all DO schools are “inferior” to MD schools. I also don’t know what metric you’re using to make that broad sweeping statement. What exactly are your credentials that give you the ability to make these broad sweeping statements?

I don’t think that all DO schools are “inferior” to MD schools. I also don’t know what metric you’re using to make that broad sweeping statement. What exactly are your credentials that give you the ability to make these broad sweeping statements?
His dad is a doctor!!!

• Haha
You conflate insecurity with personal stupidity. You’re just a really really annoying dude. And I’m not applying FM, as does 90% of my class :)

Huh so only 10% of your class is applying FM? Then why is like 50%+ of every DO match list FM?

Lol you say rural FM like it's a bad thing. These guys are making bank dude.

I said that more in jest as a clap back to what he said to me because he thought I was an IMG. I fully understand how lucrative rural FM or even urban FM with a business mindset can be.

See above post.
I don't even totally disagree with a lot of your points but surely you understand that most of your posts on SDN come off as an annoying premed asking if you can make 1 mil in the anesthesia subforum (something you actually did lol). Why did you come to this thread? Why are you in the DO subforum? You should enjoy your time off before school. The people on SDN don't need an MD premed telling them things they already know in a forum that has nothing to do with them. It's just bizarre.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I don't even totally disagree with a lot of your points but surely you understand that most of your posts on SDN come off as an annoying premed asking if you can make 1 mil in the anesthesia subforum (something you actually did lol). Why did you come to this thread? Why are you in the DO subforum? You should enjoy your time off before school. The people on SDN don't need an MD premed telling them things they already know in a forum that has nothing to do with them. It's just bizarre.

Idk why its annoying to ask if you can make 1M in anesthesia. I think thats a pretty damn fair question lol. I actually think you all would appreciate that more given that my thought process toward this career actually matches up with most DOs I meet more than MDs. MDs are all holier than thou when it comes to talking money

I came to this thread because I saw it on the home page and I just felt like inaccurate things were probably being said which was right. Honestly I have nothing against DO schools or students. I think they are every bit as good physicians as MDs but its also clear why they dont have the same advantage as MDs in the match process and I don't think its something to complain about.

Idk why its annoying to ask if you can make 1M in anesthesia. I think thats a pretty damn fair question lol. I actually think you all would appreciate that more given that my thought process toward this career actually matches up with most DOs I meet more than MDs. MDs are all holier than thou when it comes to talking money

I came to this thread because I saw it on the home page and I just felt like inaccurate things were probably being said which was right. Honestly I have nothing against DO schools or students. I think they are every bit as good physicians as MDs but its also clear why they dont have the same advantage as MDs in the match process and I don't think its something to complain about.
Thank you for your service.

• Haha
Very bizarre

Did you not read the part where I said generally? Do you really disagree that generally DO schools are inferior to MD schools? Like this is as simple as the sky being blue lol. Yeah maybe the best DO school is close in quality to the worst MD school. Maybe. But generally if you compare similar tiers to each, obviously DO is inferior. How is this even an argument lol.

I clearly do not agree, and you have not done the work to sway my opinion.

Because you are making a VALUATIVE statement that is not as simple as looking at match rates and INH research grants. Furthermore, you are stating supposed match rate differentials but have not supplied them.

The sky is not, in fact, actually blue. The sky is not physically something. Are you talking about the atmosphere or what we see when we look to space? At night the “sky” appears black with little white dots. In fact, this argument is about as substantive as any argument you’ve made.

I don’t know this how this is even an argument...”

It’s an argument because you don’t have the chops to play in the “It is because I say it is” band. You have worked for jack squat and are not afforded the benefit of the doubt (nor should anyone, really).

What metric? How about match rates, specialties matched, research funding, acceptance stats, step 1 score, etc....

My credentials are the ability to do a google search and look up the above metrics.”

Present them.

giphy.gif

This thread will be closed from further replies. The SDN community encourages healthy discussions, but we do not allow members to attack each other. You all know the rules by now.

Last edited:
  • Love
Status
Not open for further replies.