Stony Brook dental school is the best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentovermed

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A poll in the NY times ranked the dental schools in NY and it turned out that Stony Brook was #1 in NY then came Columbia then Buffalo... But the article went on discussing that Stony Brook is one of the top schools in all of America and maybe in the world. My question is what do they look for in an applicant and what do the students do there to build up the reputation of the school so high? Not only is it pretty darn cheap tuition compared to other schools, but it is also an amazing dental school. It probably is a privilege and an honor for someone to attend there.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of stony brook until I started using SDN tbh.

Reactions: 2 users
take these rankings with a grain of salt. a big part of rankings is how much money the school brings in for researches such as clinical and bench. these rankings are also like a popularity system and each school is voted on by its fellow peers/deans. the ranking of each school does not translate to guaranteed career success for enrolled dental students. thou i am not surprised that stony and buffalo are up there, a quick google search shows that they are state universities and state universities in general bring in a ton of money for science research. to be honest it is up to the student to maximize the resources the school is merely there to provide the connections through alumni/faculty and resources

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 3 users
Your first problem is that you are listening to the NY TIMES. Your second problem is that your narrow minded obsession with a single school is clouding the big picture here. There are MANY schools that offer more than Stony does. It is a good school, but the best? Come on dude. Each school is good in its own unique way.

Your first problem is that you are listening to the NY TIMES. Your second problem is that your narrow minded obsession with a single school is clouding the big picture here. There are MANY schools that offer more than Stony does. It is a good school, but the best? Come on dude. Each school is good in its own unique way.
no, JLT. You are wrong. It is the best!!!!!!

Congratulations!! Maybe you have the god-like qualifications it must take to get acceptance into Stony Brook
I was still rejected. They require you to do a wax up while simultaneously beating all other applicants at your interview in a game of Jenga. Man, no wonder they only take 40 people!!! :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A poll in the NY times ranked the dental schools in NY and it turned out that Stony Brook was #1 in NY then came Columbia then Buffalo... But the article went on discussing that Stony Brook is one of the top schools in all of America and maybe in the world. My question is what do they look for in an applicant and what do the students do there to build up the reputation of the school so high? Not only is it pretty darn cheap tuition compared to other schools, but it is also an amazing dental school. It probably is a privilege and an honor for someone to attend there.

Can you provide a link to the poll, please?

Dentovermed definitely has a Stony Brook replica shrine and Feralis voodoo doll in their closet :laugh:

Let it go dude. I can picture you plotting revenge for 17 years out in the woods in a cabin to get retribution for the one patient who lives a bad review of your pactice on Yelp when you're older...
I can't wait to read future yelp reviews about me.

Weakfart you need to come around here more often, at least when the 2017 cycle opens up to scare all the children.
Wish I could but someone needs to take the torch from me. I got stuff to not do.

Reactions: 5 users
I met weakfart at an interview in buffalo... Guys he's really a totally different person out of sdn.

But we shouldn't derail this thread...let's keep on the subject please

The topic of this thread is a very useless one. There is no "best" dental school. There is no officially recognized ranking or standard criteria, and everyone who says a school is the "best" is making an arbitrary assumption that fits their narrative. I could claim that by having the highest number of basic science curriculum hours that UConn is the "best" dental school, and someone could tell you that Penn is the "best" dental school that because it places the greatest number of graduates in residencies, or the Texas schools could tell you they're the "best" because they're cheapest, or someone could tell you Touro is the "best" because they're going to have the newest facilities, or someone at Tufts could tell you they're the "best" because the room they took you to for an interview is the nicest...

I'll keep going if you want me to.
Yes please keep going

Harvard is the "best" dental school because it requires research, UNC is the "best" dental school because it's so difficult for OOS students to get admitted, Puerto Rico is the "best" dental school because you need to be fluent in Spanish to get accepted, LECOM is the "best" dental school because you get extra clinical practice when 3/4 of your class fails Part II of the boards, UoP is the "best" dental school because you get out in 3 years, USC is the "best" dental school because it's the most expensive (so obviously the degree is worth more than other schools, right?), Utah is the "best" dental school because it has the fewest number of seats, and Mormons produce strong health professions applicants like the Dominican Republic produces Hall of Famers and they're all fighting over such a small number of seats, Loma Linda is the "best" dental school because they have God on their side, Michigan is the "best" dental school because the football coach of their undergrad is the biggest prick on the face of the earth, UW is the "best" dental school because Nirvana is from Seattle and I love me some Nirvana.

My wrists are getting tired and I have to go soon but if you want me to keep going later I will.
My boy is going IN.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually Stony Brook offered me a full ride just kidding lol I sound like @FeralisExtremum
Amazing!!!! Then stop ****ing making threads here that are thinly veiled complaints about how Stony Brook wouldn't take you

For one second, I legitimately tried to help you and you come back with that. Your immaturity must have shined on your AADSAS and interviews if you had any. Good luck wherever you end up in life

Reactions: 1 users
Only if you wait until I'm 32 and out of OMFS residency, bear me a son we can name after Roger Casement, are willing to live in rural Connecticut, and never go shopping for expensive shoes or clothes.
You had me until the "no buy". Ill be a strong independent dentist who don't need your money.

Reactions: 3 users
Amazing!!!! Then stop ****ing making threads here that are thinly veiled complaints about how Stony Brook wouldn't take you

For one second, I legitimately tried to help you and you come back with that. Your immaturity must have shined on your AADSAS and interviews if you had any. Good luck wherever you end up in life
Got more interviews and acceptances than you can ever imagine

And the only one you're missing is to Stony Brook, inarguably the best dental school in the world ;)
Let me speak in a language that you all probably understand- Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu shēngmìng yòng nǐ de shíjiān gèng hǎo

Let me speak in a language that you all probably understand- Nǐmen yǒu méiyǒu shēngmìng yòng nǐ de shíjiān gèng hǎo
I actually studied abroad in China while in undergrad, so I don't know what you wanted to accomplish by posting that

我說普通話 :whistle: