Strangely sad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VeganChick

Tufts University V'13
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, there are a lot of "regulars" on SDN that I feel like I have been in a little "class" with the last two years and feel like, while I haven't really gotten to know any of you, the mutual support and cheerleading through the process has helped me more than I ever would have expected. It's funny how excited you can get for people you have never met!

Anyway, now that acceptances and decisions are being finalized, folks are starting to splinter off - whether not checking SDN every day (a hundred times!) or only commenting occasionally; I also see the familiar pre-applicant questions starting to appear.

All of this makes me sad in an odd way. This forum has meant so much to me - and my sanity - over the last two years...I kind of feel like I am saying goodbye to a bunch of fellow summer campers. So, I ask all of us Class of 2013'ers to make sure we come back to SDN next year just to check in and tell a bit about our experiences in our respective schools.

Obviously, we are still running some final threads (ie, Final Decisions and Statistics), but I just wanted to get this out there:

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AND CONGRATULATIONS!!
:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Members don't see this ad.

Some of us can't kick the SDN habit no matter how hard we try! ;)

I know what your saying Vegan - and while I am relatively new to SDN, I've tried to become a 'regular'. I too owe the SDN community a debt of gratitude for helping me get through this cycle. I may not have done it otherwise. Since i've heard the good news, i've been more lurking then posting.

Truth is, a lot of people who I wanted to see get in, haven't, and others are still waiting. Personally, I'm going to let all the decisions come through, and continue onward posting, saying inflammatory things, and making new friends; in a few weeks - when this incredibly tense decision period has run its course.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting in limbo :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Vegan Chick, I'm so glad that you started this thread. I read it the other day but wanted to wait & see if I was accepted first, before I responded.

Well, I just heard tonight that I did get into Tufts & am on cloud nine. But I would be selfish if I didn't stop, take a breath, and recall the past year. I lurked on SDN for about 3 months (beginning 12/07) when, almost a year to this day, I received my rejection from Tufts last March. I was beside myself, and while my husband, friends, & family were incredibly supportive, they didn't--couldn't possibly--understand what I was going through. So I joined SDN, and my first post was a thread that I started on being rejected, what I should do next, etc. For several days I came home from work to so many encouraging words and cheerleader "go-get-'em next year" comments. Pandacinny, I think that you were the first to respond, and I can't tell you how grateful I am.

Now that I am officially a member of the class of 2013 (sounds so weird!), I hope to pay it forward somehow. So if anyone needs a goofball like me to offer a few words of encouragement down the line, I'll do my best to oblige. It's the least I can do. :)

Don't be sad! And don't leave!

Come join us on the Veterinary board instead!

Some of us just don't leave. I'll be a 5 year SDNer in August :scared: Im getting old...

Come join us on the Veterinary board instead!

The veterinary board still scares me. Figured I would wait till I at least started classes to be a regular their. I am among friends here :)

Oh man, Guppy, that's awesome!! Congrats on your acceptance! :highfive:
I really like this forum, too, and am glad to have a place where I can vent, ask questions, or just read up on the interesting things other people are doing. I try to be supportive, too, for people who're down about not getting in.

First year, I wasn't that busy and checked almost every thread every day. Second year, I've been a lot busier so I don't get to read every thread, but when I see an interesting one, I'll definitely read and make a comment if I can be helpful.

Definitely keep checking in. The next class needs your wisdom (especially those of you that just went through the process--in hindsight it's all become a blur to me) and I'd love to see the Veterinary board be more active. SDN isn't just for people applying!

And congrats to all of you who got in and keep striving for those of you that didn't! :highfive:We rule!!!

veganchick - i see you're from northern va! i happen to be from there as well!
small world!

Now that I am officially a member of the class of 2013 (sounds so weird!), I hope to pay it forward somehow. So if anyone needs a goofball like me to offer a few words of encouragement down the line, I'll do my best to oblige. It's the least I can do. :)

That's how I feel, too. It sucks not having anyone who fully understands what it's like to go through an application cycle (I found SDN about a month before getting my rejection letters last year), and if I can do anything to help future applicants get through a cycle easier, it's the least I can do. This is an awesome place... we should all definitely keep posting!

I am so grateful for SDN. SDN is an invaluable resource - sometimes inspring, sometimes depressing. And I think I would have lost friends/spent millions on cell phone overages if I did not have SDN as an outlet for all my waiting-to-hear-life-in-limbo anxiety! :laugh:

Even though I am all done hearing from schools (except for a waitlist), I am still obsessively checking...wonder when it will wear off! I think it is because I have followed so many of the other forum-ers journey and I want to know how everyone ends up (and cheer them on)!

THANK YOU!!!!!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not even discover this site until I was already in vet school:laugh:. I could have used it! My undergrad was not very good in guidence (unless you wanted to go to only Davis, I think they have fixed that now)...

I like to help people so I will be here bugging you all for a while I suspect.:smuggrin:

I love SDN. At first, I freaked out but after a while I realized that it was such a great resource. But not just that. I have bonded with people and it's nice to have that support and the friends that I do have. Love ya guys!:D

Y'all know I'm glad to be here. I sure do hope I get to post on the acceptances thread next year, but I promise to stick around no matter if I do or don't. And regardless of whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing. :)

It makes me a little sad to see how things have slowed down! God I've learned so much random stuff about using tablets at vet school/declawing/even met other sdn's in person! I'm excited to see more people post on the final acceptances! I guess I will have to wait until April 15th though! :rolleyes:

I have to agree that SDN has been very helpful and I haven't even applied yet (two more years! :eek:). I have to agree too that the vet board is scary-I posted there a few times and didn't have a good experience. But I think when it comes time to apply the support I will receive here will help keep me sane :rolleyes:.

I think our forums are all mish mash, and I rather like it that way. Pre vets post in veterinary (sometimes it is nice to hear what the up and coming students think about certain issues we face....even though we are in the thick of it, it is good to hear outside opinions), veterinary students post in pre vet (to make sure no one busts a spleen over the application process, heehee).....everyone's opinion is welcome.

Definitely keep checking in. The next class needs your wisdom (especially those of you that just went through the process--in hindsight it's all become a blur to me) and I'd love to see the Veterinary board be more active. SDN isn't just for people applying!

YES!!!! Thanks pressmom! This is what I'm hoping for!
It seems like each year the new group of applicants form a tight knit community during applications then mostly drift away after getting accepted.

Ok, not to be cloyingly mushy BUT I would love it if the class of 2013 truly inhabited the veterinary forum and remained a community. I agree with Guppy and everyone else about being able to get a certain kind of support/understanding here that just isn't possible (no matter how well-intentioned) with people who aren't in the vet world.

So, instead of obsessing about interviews and suits and personal statements, we could discuss things like how to study for anatomy... which textbooks are best for different subjects... debate on current events... basically all the things we do now, just in a different context. C'mon guys!! Besides, who am I going to obsess with when I'm applying for internships??? :laugh:

Y'all know I'm glad to be here. I sure do hope I get to post on the acceptances thread next year, but I promise to stick around no matter if I do or don't. And regardless of whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing. :)

I would have to say I would miss your sense of humor if you left! :)

I, too, am so grateful that I found these forums ~2 years ago! I honestly feel like I was a waaay more (and better) prepared applicant because of this forum. You all have been so helpful in terms of giving advice/answering questions/sharing experiences/thinking of things to add/worry about that I never thought of, etc.
So thank you, ALL of you! :biglove:

I plan on continuing to post despite being accepted...I'd like to help out the next batch. ;)

Hopefully, all of the "CVM class of 2013" (and everyone else!) can continue to post either here or in the veterinary forum since I find that the vet forum doesn't change as much as the pre-vet one!

And I was resigned to giving up and dragging myself off to law school. I would have ended up miserable (but rich! :p)

Instead I'm hanging in there and preparing to apply to vet school this summer. I've received lots of good advice from SDN'rs on how to make myself a more competitive applicant. I hope I make it in on my first try, but if I don't, I know I'll have a whole community of people who know exactly what the whole experience is like, and who will support me and commiserate with me, and who won't care when I write ridiculously long run-on sentences!

I am a (VERY) new member, and I must admit that I have found SDN incredibly cathartic, inspirational, and helpful. I send my support out to all still waiting, my congratulations to those who get to realize their dreams this fall, and my encouragement to any who have yet to apply. Thank you SDN!!!:love: