Study now and take MCAT or take 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I scheduled an MCAT seat almost a year ago to take for mid January 2015... Over the Summer I realized that it might be better to take the new 2015 MCAT in the summer giving myself a good 4months to study for.

I'm taking biochem (4000level course) at my univ. now and I can definitely see why everyone is rushing to take the current MCAT! I'm wondering if I should focus all my time (two months until exam) on my mid-Jan MCAT and hope to bust ass on it...

I have all the books required for the current MCAT, I know that 3months is a suggested amount of time to study for the MCAT. I'm about 2months into the MCAT but I've been studying for biochem and I know it has helped me with the biology section...

**Sorry for all the info but the question I want to ask is if 2months amble amount of time to study for the mid-Jan MCAT date?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

How much content have you done? If you've done most of it, then you're in good shape to transition over to practicing phase. The last month should be reserved for your FLs.
For your own benefit, I don't think the hindsight debate of taking the 2015 test vs current is productive. Just make up your mind for the mid-Jan exam and deal with whatever afterwards. Focus on the task ahead of you = the Jan exam.

How much content have you done? If you've done most of it, then you're in good shape to transition over to practicing phase. The last month should be reserved for your FLs.
For your own benefit, I don't think the hindsight debate of taking the 2015 test vs current is productive. Just make up your mind for the mid-Jan exam and deal with whatever afterwards. Focus on the task ahead of you = the Jan exam.

Our upcoming exam is on metabolism/glycolysis/TCA/Electron transport chain.
I have not started to actively study my BR/Kaplan books yet.
I've taken general biology 1/2, general chemistry 1/2, organic chemistry 1/2, physics 1/2, cell&molec bio, genetics, and I am currently taking analytical chemistry.

Should I try and follow SN2ed's 3month guide and condense it?

You need to figure out a schedule that's personally tailored to you. Sn2ed's guide is a great way to plan things out and you certainly can modify aspects of it.
Start with the BR/Kaplan books. I am sure you can cover the bio relatively quickly (< a week) as you are in upper level biochem/bio classes. Try to get done with your content by December so that you have ample time to practice passages in TBR as well as FLs one month prior to your exam date.

I took a Kaplan practice exam a year ago (this is when I haven't taken orgo2/physics2/genetics) and I scored an 18, I think it was 6bio/4physical/8VR. I am sure my bio has increased as I am more comfortable with my bio and organic chem background, I left the last two passages on the VR blank as I didnt have enough time (first time), but my confidence in physical is very low.

Would quickly skimming through the content material for bio/some orgo and spending bulk of the time on physics and then possibly adjusting into the 3-month guide be a good idea?

I plan on taking the next 2-3weeks on content+passage review then taking a timed practice exam to give myself a realistic picture of what to expect on this MCAT.

*hoping for 30-35