Suggestions? Will I be competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeg8654

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster but have looked around here for awhile. I am a non-trad who is deciding on whether I should do formal or informal post-bac. I could use some help and guidance and would love to hear suggestions. Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to reply.

I would also like to give my background and some stats to see if I would even be competitive (without a real science GPA, or what GPA I could be competitive with).

After 4 years in the military (infantry) and getting EMT certificate (not license) I transitioned out of the military. I always wanted to be in public service specifically a DR (EM) but never felt like I was smart enough or capable. After all, I never expected to go to college that's why I went into the military. It was military service (3x deployed) where I learned I was capable of much more and became highly motivated. I got a job working as a university policeman and put myself through college (still not believing I can be a DR). I received a B.A. In political science. I then attended graduate school overseas in Spain (M.A. International Studies) and worked on my Spanish fluency. I'm intermediate level proficiency. I once again completed my EMT course and I am currently applying for licensure.

Here's my situation. Undergrad 3.54 Grad 3.96

I just started taking science pre-requisites yet (intro BIO, trigonometry, Psych 1, medical terminology), next semester pre-calc and intro chemistry, Anatomy.

Should I start a formal post-Bac or should I just take my pre-reqs at community college level?? I have heard most University's want to see a lot of science courses at University level but called around to a few DO schools in the area and they told me all they are concerned about is "regional accreditation". I have not consulted any MD schools (I'm from Ca). Since post-bacs are so expensive and I am 32 should I just do my pre-reqs at community college or do formal post-Bac (assuming I get in)?

With where I am at should I shoot for MD or DO?

I have 175 hour volunteering helping veterans
24 hours shadowing

is there anything else I should be doing? Suggestions?

As of right now I'm going to apply for formal post bac in a few months (hopefully I'm competitive) build some EC's and continue to take intro courses and get a good solid grasp of the basics/math (since I'm a social science guy I don't have any science background and did not have to take high math.

if I don't get into any programs I am going to just go CC route and get a private MCAT course and hopefully will just kill it.

nervous but won't quit. I do feel like I am running out of time.

ps. Male/Hispanic but did not come from poor family (middle class).

Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to mention its almost impossible to do 2nd Bachelors and get science courses at university level. National University (private, 4 profit offers some courses in person, they are regional accredited) would that be an option? Private for profit?

Forgot to mention its almost impossible to do 2nd Bachelors and get science courses at university level. National University (private, 4 profit offers some courses in person, they are regional accredited) would that be an option? Private for profit?

Avoid private for profit schools like the plague.

Formal post-bacc will be easier in some ways but will be expensive.

Informal is generally cheaper, but you have to do more work to research the options figure out a schedule that works for you. Unclear to me why it's impossible to take your science courses at a university level--just because of your specific location? Many if not most large state schools allow you to enroll in classes as a non-degree student. It'd be preferrable to take courses at a 4-year university but as a nontrad adcoms will probably be more forgiving of community college.

Your GPA is fine, assuming you do well in the pre-reqs, which will improve it. Without an MCAT it's hard to weigh in on chances beyond that in terms of MD vs. DO. Add in a bit more clinical exposure and your ECs (work and military experience counts) are good for schools without a heavy research emphasis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. In So Cal, mainly be because of budget cuts schools are heavily impacted. You are certainly allowed to take a few courses as non-degree, however; its highly unlikely to get all the courses I need when I need them.

Thanks for the reply. In So Cal, mainly be because of budget cuts schools are heavily impacted. You are certainly allowed to take a few courses as non-degree, however; its highly unlikely to get all the courses I need when I need them.
Take your time. It's not running out. CC is fine.