Summer before grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When did you arrive at your current city before you started grad school?

• 1 week before class started

• 2 weeks before class started

• 3 weeks before class started

• 4 weeks before class started

• I did not have to relocate

Results are only viewable after voting.

Biopsychosocialmodel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting a PhD program in clinical psychology this fall and I'm wondering what other students did the summer before they started grad school?
Specifically, 1) when is a good time to relocate to the city the grad school is in? and 2) what are some things that are helpful to get started on this summer?

Relocating for grad school is both exciting and nerve wrecking. Many thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am also starting grad school in the fall although I did a masters program so not my first time in graduate school. I'm relocating this month for various reasons but I think relocating in July would be fine also. Depends on lots of things but just make sure you get it all sorted out. I did plan ahead for stuff just because that is what is helpful to me. I got my teaching assistantship stuff ready, registered for classes, picked my apartment and so on. As far as work goes I got a book to read that my practicum site recommended but other than that I plan on really spending time enjoying my freedom and spending quality time with friends/family. Life is about to change and be very busy!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1) I prefer moving at least a couple of weeks in advance to give yourself a chance to settle in, get to know the area, etc.

2) Self care. Have fun. See friends/family. Keep things light. Don't worry about school.

Reactions: 1 users
I moved maybe a week before school started. It was fine, didn't feel rushed. But it'll depend on the type of place to which you'll be moving.

Prior to moving, I visited extended family abroad, and subsequently ran away to a spa for a weekend in the same country. Highly recommended.

Do you. Enjoy!

1) I prefer moving at least a couple of weeks in advance to give yourself a chance to settle in, get to know the area, etc.

2) Self care. Have fun. See friends/family. Keep things light. Don't worry about school.

+1. I moved in about 2 weeks beforehand to get a "lay of the land," get lost a couple times and find my way home, etc.

I got there about 2 weeks beforehand just to settle in and relax.

As for what to do before grad school starts... see how many days you can go in a row without thinking you should be doing anything to prepare. Keep trying for the longest streak until the summer is gone. I suggest a beach for this endeavor.

Double check your contract! My assistantship actually started two weeks before the semester began, so I ended up moving August 1st (cross country) which gave me about a week before my contact started, but three weeks before the semester began. It was a nice amount of time. The summer before grad school I got married, took a ridiculously long honeymoon because we knew we wouldn't have much us-time while I was in grad school (that was true), got a manuscript out, presented at a conference, and spent lots of time with friends and family since we moved very far away. It was a lovely summer. Take advantage and enjoy! You can prep, but don't do too much - there is plenty of work to go around in grad school, so enjoy yourself!

I'm starting a PhD program in clinical psychology this fall and I'm wondering what other students did the summer before they started grad school?
Specifically, 1) when is a good time to relocate to the city the grad school is in? and 2) what are some things that are helpful to get started on this summer?

Relocating for grad school is both exciting and nerve wrecking. Many thanks in advance for your input!

Personally for me, the idea of moving to the "big city" was kind of scary. I grew up in small town America and never really spent any time in an urban area. Therefore, I relocated as soon as I graduated undergrad in order to get a lay of the land, understand my new neighborhood, learn the traffic patterns, begin a part time job (insert whatever makes you anxious about moving). As far as things that are helpful to get started, I would suggest not getting started on anything but relaxing, creating a self-care plan etc. It will more than likely be your last free summer for a while.