Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any new news for UCSF, Stanford, Harvard, or WashU amgen? Still no word...

Members don't see this ad.

Just for others....haven't heard from UCSF, Stanford, UTokyo, Columbia, or WashU (Amgen that is). Now a few here have been accepted (and some rejected) to these programs, so I have no clue what to assume.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To add, UCSF Amgen results have been released, but UCSF SRTP results are yet to be released.

Has anyone heard back from UCB Amgen yet? I still haven't heard anything yet (I'm dying over here!) Someone said they were able to get in contact with UCB and found out that responses were supposed to come out on March 4th, so I'm scared lol. So anyone received acceptances and/or rejections yet? :/

Just for others....haven't heard from UCSF, Stanford, UTokyo, Columbia, or WashU (Amgen that is). Now a few here have been accepted (and some rejected) to these programs, so I have no clue what to assume.

Just got the rejection email from WashU Amgen. Waiting on Stanford and Columbia.

Has anyone heard back from UCB Amgen yet? I still haven't heard anything yet (I'm dying over here!) Someone said they were able to get in contact with UCB and found out that responses were supposed to come out on March 4th, so I'm scared lol. So anyone received acceptances and/or rejections yet? :/

I was rejected from UCB Amgen last weekend. I haven't seen anyone else get a response yet, though.

How do you know this?
All of the results thus far in the thread were referring to AMGEN UCSF. Individuals who were accepted to SRTP initially applied to AMGEN but were thought to be a better fit for the SRTP program. I believe the decisions for SRTP are yet to come.

All of the results thus far in the thread were referring to AMGEN UCSF. Individuals who were accepted to SRTP initially applied to AMGEN but were thought to be a better fit for the SRTP program. I believe the decisions for SRTP are yet to come.

Did anyone's letter actually say Amgen? Or are you saying no one here, who applied to amgen, got it.

Not true according to one guy who said he did not list Amgen as his top choice, but received an acceptance into SRTP.

I don't get any email from UCSF Amgen yet. This waiting game distracts my studying. +pissed+

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!

Question: I was accepted into a program and I have until Monday to respond, but I have not heard back from any other program. Should I email these programs and see if they are still considering my application? or should I call the program I was accepted in to and see if I can get a few more days to finalize my commitment?

Thoughts?

Best of luck everyone!

Hi All!

Question: I was accepted into a program and I have until Monday to respond, but I have not heard back from any other program. Should I email these programs and see if they are still considering my application? or should I call the program I was accepted in to and see if I can get a few more days to finalize my commitment?

Thoughts?

Best of luck everyone!

No harm in trying both. You can try to mention to other programs what your deadline is and ask if they will be able to make a decision by that time. Although, if you want, you could also wait for the other programs to respond before you decide if it's neccessary to ask for an extension. Remember, if lab placements are made after you accept, it may not be too good to wait too long to accept.

Hi All!

Thoughts?

Best of luck everyone!
Call or email the program that gave you the offer (sooner rather than later) and they might give you an extension to reply by. I called MD Anderson the day I got the offer and they gave me a two week extension which was enough time to hear back from other places and make a better decision.
If they just gave you the offer it should work but if you've been sitting on this for a few days and are now realizing you need to respond soon, you may be out of luck

Hi All!

Thoughts?

Best of luck everyone!
I would definitely email them saying a deadline is coming up, but let them know that you're still interested in their program. If they are still reviewing applications you could try asking for an extension like another user mentioned

No harm in trying both. You can try to mention to other programs what your deadline is and ask if they will be able to make a decision by that time. Although, if you want, you could also wait for the other programs to respond before you decide if it's neccessary to ask for an extension. Remember, if lab placements are made after you accept, it may not be too good to wait too long to accept.

Call or email the program that gave you the offer (sooner rather than later) and they might give you an extension to reply by. I called MD Anderson the day I got the offer and they gave me a two week extension which was enough time to hear back from other places and make a better decision.
If they just gave you the offer it should work but if you've been sitting on this for a few days and are now realizing you need to respond soon, you may be out of luck

I would definitely email them saying a deadline is coming up, but let them know that you're still interested in their program. If they are still reviewing applications you could try asking for an extension like another user mentioned

Thank you all for the advice. I just received the email today, so I'll plan on sending emails out tonight and inform the other programs that I would need to know by Monday. If nothing happens during that time, then fate has taken its course!

I got my rejection from UCB Amgen on Tuesday. For those asking about Stanford, I applied to their Amgen but was accepted into their SSRP, the programs are parallel but with different funding. I would assume they have sent out all of their primary acceptances. I was waitlisted at UCLA and WashU over the course of the last couple weeks. I've heard nothing from Columbia, Harvard, or UCSF Amgen.

I emailed UCB about the status of my application because I have an approaching deadline from another program. I received a reply email today tellin me tomorrow they are going through the final rounds of applications and will have answers out tomorrow by the end of the day. She said I was one of their top applicants so I'm hoping that means I'll be accepted. Either way there's not much waiting left.

I was rejected from UCB Amgen on Monday. The strange thing was that the e-mail was in my spam folder - so you might want to double check that. Best of luck!

I have a friend who did Amgen last year and got into it again :rofl:
They knew he'd done it previously..no funny business involved! His stats are pretty average too

I emailed UCB about the status of my application because I have an approaching deadline from another program. I received a reply email today tellin me tomorrow they are going through the final rounds of applications and will have answers out tomorrow by the end of the day. She said I was one of their top applicants so I'm hoping that means I'll be accepted. Either way there's not much waiting left.

Odd, I was told something similar. I suppose we're directly competing with one another then, or they're telling everyone how solid they are in applicant standing. Either way, I suppose the wait ends tomorrow. :)

Hey guys...

I know I'm kinda late but here goes my list of SURP/REUs/etc.

DAAD RISE - TBA
UT-Houston Health Science Center SRP- TBA
Minneapolis Heart Institute Research Internship - TBA
University of Michigan SURF (Department of Molecular and Integrative Physiology) - TBA
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities LSSURP - TBA
University of Minnesota - Twin cities - Lillehei Heart Institute - Summer Research Scholar - Rejected
UT San Antonio -HSC Physiology Undergraduate Research Experience (PURE) - TBA
University of Toledo SURF - TBA

BEST OF LUCK TO EVERYONE!!

Just got rejected from NIH Amgen, if anyone is still waiting to hear

Accepted to NIH Amgen. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted into MIT MSRP just now, interestingly enough, I was just composing an email asking for a faster decision since I have to reply WashU by Monday . I am like super duper excited right now. OMG this application cycle has been great for me. Now to the important subject, which would you guys choose, MIT or WashU.
I really want to do an MD/PhD program at Wash U but I visited MIT on this weekend thing they had and I absolutely loved it! Boston is like my dream city to live and it's MIT, like how can I reject MIT.
If anyone did MSRP last year, how was it? Would you do it over?

Both are great programs. I would say to let your interest in PIs guide your decision. WashU's Amgen is overseen by the PhD and MD/PhD program so that is definitely a bonus, but MIT might have some close connections with Harvard's MD/PhD program.

Got accepted into MIT MSRP just now, interestingly enough, I was just composing an email asking for a faster decision since I have to reply WashU by Monday . I am like super duper excited right now. OMG this application cycle has been great for me. Now to the important subject, which would you guys choose, MIT or WashU.
I really want to do an MD/PhD program at Wash U but I visited MIT on this weekend thing they had and I absolutely loved it! Boston is like my dream city to live and it's MIT, like how can I reject MIT.
If anyone did MSRP last year, how was it? Would you do it over?
It sounds like you've already made up your mind!

My friend just got a CRISSP interview to be conducted in 2 weeks, so don't lose hope!

I'm a bit confused as to why some who are waiting to hear back from the leadership alliance are worried already. Their website said decisions will made through April 15... it's still fairly early in March.

Any UCB results?

I just called UCB and they said that they are in the final reviews of some applications. Audrey mentioned that my application was going through a final round of faculty review and that they would let me know by end of Today or Monday.

I just called UCB and they said that they are in the final reviews of some applications. Audrey mentioned that my application was going through a final round of faculty review and that they would let me know by end of Today or Monday.

By the end of today or Monday? D: it seems like they just keep pushing it back. I still haven't received any notice yet, so I'm hoping I may be in the same boat as you. I can't wait till Monday though! I've tried calling but I never get an answer... oh well.
#struggles.

By the end of today or Monday? D: it seems like they just keep pushing it back. I still haven't received any notice yet, so I'm hoping I may be in the same boat as you. I can't wait till Monday though! I've tried calling but I never get an answer... oh well.
#struggles.
Same here, have an offer I need to reply to by Monday too.

Just got rejected from Harvard Amgen. I think I'm going to accept Columbia's offer if Stanford or UCSF doesn't respond by tonight.

I gave them a call today and they picked up! I was told that we would know by Monday or Tuesday though... so looks like it's a next week thing :(
Odd, since some others mentioned that they were told results would be out today/monday. Seems like they just keep delaying it.

I'm a bit confused as to why some who are waiting to hear back from the leadership alliance are worried already. Their website said decisions will made through April 15... it's still fairly early in March.
It's because some schools, like Columbia, said they would be releasing decisions by before then. Columbia, for example, said decisions would come out by March 1 and we still haven't heard anything from them.

It's because some schools, like Columbia, said they would be releasing decisions by before then. Columbia, for example, said decisions would come out by March 1 and we still haven't heard anything from them.

I think some people have already heard back from Columbia? They're probably just seeing how many accept the offer and if they need to contact more applicants with offers.

Just got into Albert Einstein SURP. Still nothing from UCSF, Berkely, and Columbia Amgens. Hoping that means I'm a finalist?

I'm pretty sure I'm a finalist at UCB, but I have to tell Emory if I'll accept their offer by Monday. I hope decisions are released in the next few hours.

Just called Berkely to ask Audrey if I was a finalist. She said a few faculty members haven't reviewed their applications or something and that I should hear by Monday at the latest, if not by the weekend.

Reactions: 1 users