Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted into MD Anderson's CPRIT-CURE Program on Monday!! I think I'm gonna accept Mayo's offer though!
Wow, I made the exact same decision! Congrats on your acceptances

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a separate thread for NIH-SIP!?!?!?!
Seems like no one has applied to this or everyone is still in the shadows about it..

To all that applied to NIH.. What are your preferred centers?

Hey! i started a thread just for NIH SIP 2015. I did apply to NIH and I did get in. I applied strictly to NIAID (National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) since my current research background is in microbiology/biochemistry. I had a few offers ranging from prion research, HIV, malaria to name a few. I ended up selecting a lab in the Laboratory for Clinical Infectious Diseases.

If you applied, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here apply to sloan kettering SURP this year?

I got into Vanderbilt conte neuro summer program last week, but turned it down...if anyone applied and is wondering whether acceptances have started

You guys have any input on what to say when asked "what you hope to learn in 10 weeks doing an undergrad summer internship"?? Help!! Lol!

I've been in college for five years now, and have about 150 credit hours, but am not graduating until May 2016. At my school, anyone is considered a senior once they hit 90 credit hours, so for most of my applications I've been putting that I'm a senior. However, since I don't graduate for another year, should I be putting junior? Are the applications asking for your year with respect to credits taken or years left? Most also ask for my graduation date, so that lets them know that I'm not graduating this spring, but I don't want to be overlooked for any reason.

I just got into the Mayo Clinic SURF program. I have a 3.87 GPA, non-URM, and 1.5 yrs prior research in molecular biology/biochemistry. I will be working in the Gene Therapy and Virology Lab. I met with the PI I was interested in working with and he seemed very impressed by my motivation!

I got offers from Mayo Clinic and NIH SIP. Both offered projects seem very interesting and would be a great opportunity for me. So, I have a hard time to decide which one to choose. I am doing a lot of research and plan to pursue MD/PhD. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
I am doing the mayo one. I visited some labs and they seem highly invested in their SURF students. My research partner went there last year and absolutely loved it.

Which Mayo SURF programs have gone out? And do they notify you of rejection? I called and passed the initial cut but haven't heard anything from the PI. I'm starting to assume I've been passed over.
I applied for gene therapy and virology and was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to arrange/pay for it yourself from the stipend they provide you. Though they list some recommended places to stay on their website (http://www.mayo.edu/mgs/programs/summer-undergraduate-research-fellowship/stipend-and-benefits). I've heard terrible things about the Kahler Hotel, so I think I'm going to stay in 318 commons (it's not too far from Mayo either).
I think that if you contacted some U of MN Rochester students you would be able to find cheap housing since most go home for summers but pay yearly leases.

I've been in college for five years now, and have about 150 credit hours, but am not graduating until May 2016. At my school, anyone is considered a senior once they hit 90 credit hours, so for most of my applications I've been putting that I'm a senior. However, since I don't graduate for another year, should I be putting junior? Are the applications asking for your year with respect to credits taken or years left? Most also ask for my graduation date, so that lets them know that I'm not graduating this spring, but I don't want to be overlooked for any reason.

I would check with the program that you are applying to.

I just had my interview with Princeton's molecular biophysics program director!! She said she'll be sending out my application to possible PI's soon and will try to notify me by the end of this month! The next 1-2 weeks are gonna be a pain to get through...

Still waiting on Ohio State SROP, Purdue SROP, Iowa Micro REU and Colorado State REU in molecular biology.

No news from Mayo Neuro? Traditionally they've been late with acceptances. Curious if it is the same this year.

Anyone willing to drop some stats on their research experience and where they applied to/got accepted?

I'll go first:

2 years- computational systems biology- 4 poster presentations at 4 different conferences, 1 pub
1 year- viral engineering, 1 poster at 1 conference

Applied:

SREIP Leadership
UCinci
Baylor
LSAMP for Texas schools
UTSW

So far 0 acceptances, 0 denials.

Anyone willing to drop some stats on their research experience and where they applied to/got accepted?

I'll go first:

2 years- computational systems biology- 4 poster presentations at 4 different conferences, 1 pub

Applied:

SREIP Leadership
UCinci
Baylor
LSAMP for Texas schools
UTSW

From which undergraduate?

Last edited:
No news from Mayo Neuro? Traditionally they've been late with acceptances. Curious if it is the same this year.
A friend of mine who has great background and experience hasn't heard yet from Mayo Neuro either so I'd still keep your fingers crossed!

I'm also waiting on notice from UC Berkeley's REU.
All of the other REUs I'm applying to are supposed to get back to us around mid-March at the *earliest*, so I won't say I'm not a tiiiny bit jealous of those of you who've already been accepted to various places (oh well).

I'll go first:

Applied:

SREIP Leadership
UCinci
Baylor
LSAMP for Texas schools
UTSW

Bio and Chem major
Been doing biology research since high school--nothing major tho...no pubs
Accepted: UChicago REU, Vanderbilt Neuro, UVM summer research

Waiting on: 12 others ... I always get scared and over apply I guess lol

Last edited:
Hey guys, just registered on SDN after applying to (only!) UCSF Amgen and doing a quick google search.

Any idea on how your home institution/faculty member(s) listed on the application impacts admissions decisions (advantages/disadvantages)?

Not sure bout UCSF Amgen, but a colleague of mine from UNLV who did not have any prior publications or presentations and only 3 months of research did the Stanford Amgen last summer.

Also to add, was just rejected from Fred Hutchinson's SURP, can't win 'em all!

Hey Guys,
I just stumbled upon this thread because I've been looking to see if anybody got their acceptance into the Mayo surf 2015 program. I'm feeling like I've been declined, although I did email the coordinator a few days ago and she said that my application is still in the Neurobiology of disease track for consideration of an appointment. Does this mean that I got through the "first cut"? I'm starting to think my application wasn't as good as I though it was...

Any idea on how your home institution/faculty member(s) listed on the application impacts admissions decisions (advantages/disadvantages)?

If you mean does your undergraduate institution matter that much in admissions to these summer programs, my input is that it doesn't really. No one is going to go through your application, look at your undergraduate institution, glance over at their copy of US News, and say, "Well, gotta put this application in the trash because the school is ranked #21 instead of #20." Many of these programs target undergrads from institutions where they don't have the opportunity to do research anyway.

With faculty member, it's probably a bit different because they're bound to have significant input into who they want and do not want in their labs. What I mean is you can't just put some student in a faculty member's lab if they don't want him/her there in the first place. So depending on whether your qualifications/goals/credentials match what the PI wants, that'll impact your decision.

I understand it can definitely affect your chances if a PI doesn't want you, but what if they really do want you? My PI at UCSF told me about the program and encouraged me to apply (even writing a LOR) so I'm kind of in that boat.

So in the end, I guess I'm asking if the limiting factor in admissions is placement in a lab, or completely up to the admission committee's discretion.

So you're applying to the same lab you're already working at? I don't understand what you mean by "your" PI.

Also, I don't think there's much of an "admission committee." Most of these programs match you up to PI and the PI ultimately makes the final call in the decisions. I mean, your application has to reach his desk and there may be some screening before that, but I think the PI has a huge input in the decision-making. Especially since they're the one who will be stuck with you for the summer.

Hey Guys,
I just stumbled upon this thread because I've been looking to see if anybody got their acceptance into the Mayo surf 2015 program. I'm feeling like I've been declined, although I did email the coordinator a few days ago and she said that my application is still in the Neurobiology of disease track for consideration of an appointment. Does this mean that I got through the "first cut"? I'm starting to think my application wasn't as good as I though it was...

I'm in the exact same boat with Mayo Neurobiology of Disease. If you are in consideration by the Neuro dept. that means you have passed the first cut. In 2013 all appointments were made except Neuro and they were scrambling around the beginning of March to make offers, it could be the same this year. If you notice on the email after applying it says until mid to late March, that could be to account for the Neuro debt frequently being late, but I'm not sure. So far I have seen no news of any Neuro acceptances so I wouldn't lose hope until March 31 when rejections are posted to ApplyYourself. I believe the Neuro program normal has an approx. 6% acceptance rate for students who passed the initial cut so I'm not really expecting much honestly.

I could see a potential problem if it was the same PI you're working with now. I mean, the whole point of the SURF/SURP/REU programs are to give research opportunities to disadvantaged undergraduates, for instance those who are of certain racial/educational/social backgrounds. You obviously have access to research so it would be kind of redundant to accept the application because that means that somebody else may not get a job who wouldn't otherwise be able to do summer research. But then again, they might overlook it.

Also, usually people who are doing the research for academic reasons (e.g. to get published, etc.) aren't getting paid for it either so you're in good company.

Well, I would see if your goals align with those of the program. I'm not as familiar with Amgen programs but a stated mission of the program is to "increase learning and networking opportunities for students committed to pursuing science or engineering careers and to spark the interest and broaden the perspective of students considering scientific careers." If your goals fit into that, then it's a matter of being able to articulate those goals well, which you have done, for better or for worse, on your application.

My point is that there are ways to make it work even if you don't make a net profit from it - this is research, not a Goldman Sachs position. I would see if the PI has enough grant money to help house you for the summer at least. Many PIs are willing to do that, since university housing is not all that expensive. You'd have to pay for food but somebody is going to have to pay for food if you go home or do something else anyway. And you won't make any money, but that's not relevant.

Since my PI informed me about this program, I'm sure he'd see if he could reach into his grant money before telling me to fill out an application for a program.

So you're telling me that if you were a PI with a limited amount of money for research purposes and you were talking with an undergraduate who you would like to have in your lab for summer research, you'd reach into your funds first without telling him/her to apply for any other sources of funding? Maybe it's late, but that doesn't sound too reasonable to me.

No, of course I understand that applying to the program is the best option. That was my point - he would always refer the program first for funding but the idea is that if that doesn't work out, I would ask him if he could at least pay for housing - if not at the University, then maybe you could get a sublet somewhere. A simple search shows me that the monthly rate for housing is pretty competitive - at least from what I'm used to and I'm on the East Coast. I re-iterate, though, that I am referring to this as a last resort if the Amgen program doesn't work out.

The admissions people definitely know how admissions decisions work and they do pre-screening before forwarding applications to PIs. Do a simple Google search on how most Amgen sites make their decisions and you'll see at least that much. So the issue here is whether or not your application reaches the PIs desk and I agree, that nobody knows. So, in complete response to your initial question, yes, faculty mentor matters but you gotta get on his/her desk first. And to do that, there's some pre-screening that goes on. From what I do know, many programs are designed to give those who otherwise wouldn't have research opportunities, even during the school year, the chance to do research in the summer. Some pre-screening may go on based on that. You might want to hear differently, but that's all I've got.

Okay, but applying to work in a lab you're already working in seems like a conflict of interest to me, to the PI. Your primary concern should be whether your application gets to the PI's desk.

Are programs biased against you if you apply to the program but are already conducting research at that institution?

Are programs biased against you if you apply to the program but are already conducting research at that institution?
I think so, yes. Depends on each program of course, but most of the descriptions I've read suggest that they want students who don't have research opportunities at their schools, or who come from smaller schools that aren't research oriented. The way I see it, why would they give a space to you, when it can be given to someone else who really "needs" the opportunity?

I think so, yes. Depends on each program of course, but most of the descriptions I've read suggest that they want students who don't have research opportunities at their schools, or who come from smaller schools that aren't research oriented. The way I see it, why would they give a space to you, when it can be given to someone else who really "needs" the opportunity?

yeah.. I guess so. This particular program is rather compeititve and they only cnsider ppl with previous research exp.
Ive called the admin office and asked if they have ever taken students already working there and their answer was yes..but I doubt it was a straight answer lol

yeah.. I guess so. This particular program is rather compeititve and they only cnsider ppl with previous research exp.
Ive called the admin office and asked if they have ever taken students already working there and their answer was yes..but I doubt it was a straight answer lol

Oh, well if research exp is needed and you have a pretty good grasp of research at the school I'd go ahead and apply anyway, especially if she said they've accepted people already working there... Might be a long shot, but they could accept you!

Still waiting to hear from pretty much everyone.... Anyone know about these programs?

Waiting On:
*Columbia Amgen
*Leadership Alliance
*Columbia
*Hunter
*NYU
*Rockefeller
*Rutgers
*UPenn SUIP

A stated mission of the program from the link that you posted is that it looks for students who will make the most out of their summer experiences. Now, how you want to interpret that is up to you, but how myself and the above poster have interpreted it is that a student at a non-research-oriented school (even if they are doing research there), would benefit more from the program and the resources a large research institution offers than, say, a student who already does research at that institution. As you noted yourself, the only people who can tell you definitively whether they are biased against you are the admissions people. So it's really no use arguing on here whether you will or will not be biased against unless you just want others' opinions. If the latter is true, then take our opinions at their face value.

Still waiting to hear from pretty much everyone.... Anyone know about these programs?

Waiting On:
*Columbia Amgen
*Leadership Alliance
*Columbia
*Hunter
*NYU
*Rockefeller
*Rutgers
*UPenn SUIP

UPenn released its first round of acceptances about a week ago.

I'll go first:

Applied:

SREIP Leadership
UCinci
Baylor
LSAMP for Texas schools
UTSW

That seems like an impressive amount of research experience! :claps:

Hey Guys,
This is my first post on SDN (I just joined after having been a lurker for a while) because I am slightly freaking out about summer internships. After having done research for 1.5 years in a psychology and a biology laboratory, I applied to 10 programs for this summer. I was wondering if anyone else had heard from these or applied in the past and if you had any idea about the likelihood of getting accepted. Thanks. The list is:
1) Columbia SPHSP (public health)
2) NYU SURP
3)University at Buffalo CLIMB-UP
4) Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory URP
5) Albert Einstein SURP
6) Mount Sinai SURP
7) Gerstner SURP
8) University of Michigan FPHLP (public health)
9) John Hopkins SIP
10) Cincinnati Children's SURF
Good luck to us all :)

Hey I can offer some insight on SPHSP. My friend did it in 2013. She had no research or any summer internship experiences. She did have a stellar GPA, good/excellent LORs and I believe her writing was on point too. The min. GPA is 2.7, so I think that's preeeetty forgiving. I don't think it's THAT competitive. (I'm only basing my opinion on what she's told me). There were NO FRESHMAN OR SOPHOMORES during her program!! They seem to prefer juniors and seniors and recent graduates.

It depends though. Some schools actually split their acceptance pools and have half from their school and half from other schools. Each program is different.