Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any chance of me getting into these programs as a freshman? I would assume there's certain classes you should take before pursuing but I wasn't positive.

Members don't see this ad.

Unlikely. They want some experience, and unless you have at least 1 year of relevant experience plus stellar grades you probably won't get any acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know about some possible programs for accepted medical students? I would really love to do one last internship over my summer before medical school. All I have found is places that want to keep you for a year or longer.

Does anyone know about some possible programs for accepted medical students? I would really love to do one last internship over my summer before medical school. All I have found is places that want to keep you for a year or longer.
any of the summer programs should still be open to you, its probably only a few that do not allow grads.

any of the summer programs should still be open to you, its probably only a few that do not allow grads.

Most of the ones I have found are just for undergraduate students, or require you to be there longer than a 8-10 week period for the summer.

@WedgeDawg When do you think it an appropriate time to start sending PIs emails for SIP 2016? (My app is turned in).

The earlier the better. If they have access to the system now, then you can start emailing now, but I forget if they don't have access to the system until sometime in January (check the FAQs page - it should say). As soon as they can see your app, start emailing.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you think of my status this year?
I think you have a much better chance of getting admitted this year. The programs that you're applying to are still very competitive, so don't take it personal if you don't get in. make sure you have a great personal statement and that the recommenders that you chose can truly reflect your passion for research. If you send me your statement of purpose/personal statement, I can gladly give you some feedback and tips. Hope this helps!

Question: I've received my first rejection (I only applied to 1 so far, soooooo woooo, 0/1)
That being said, is it okay for me to email and ask why I was rejected/ what I can do to improve my chances in the future?
I'm applying to like 10-15 more programs this cycle for the summer and I want to fix the issue ASAP before I submit more applications (given the issue is fixable and not GPA-related).
Is this acceptable or would it be considered rude?

Question: I've received my first rejection (I only applied to 1 so far, soooooo woooo, 0/1)
That being said, is it okay for me to email and ask why I was rejected/ what I can do to improve my chances in the future?
I'm applying to like 10-15 more programs this cycle for the summer and I want to fix the issue ASAP before I submit more applications (given the issue is fixable and not GPA-related).
Is this acceptable or would it be considered rude?

Did they give you an e-mail/phone number for questions? If so, I'd say it's okay.

This is my first go at applying for summer research positions. A little background: sophomore, public university, 4.0 gpa & spga, currently working on 3 research projects (one of which I am a Co-PI) but all are epidemiological. Hoping I can get into something. So far I've applied to:
- Boston University STaRS
- Harvard HRSP
- University of Cincinnati SURF/SURF MSTP
- NIH SIP/AMGEN
- UCSF SRTP
- OHSU CDB/SERP

Still need to finish applications for:
- Case Western Reserve SURP
- Mt. Sinai SURP
and I'm still looking at other programs.

And not research related but I also applied to the SMDEP programs for UW, Yale, and UCLA.
Anyone have any success with these programs or can suggest others? Best of luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first go at applying for summer research positions. A little background: sophomore, public university, 4.0 gpa & spga, currently working on 3 research projects (one of which I am a Co-PI) but all are epidemiological. Hoping I can get into something. So far I've applied to:
- Boston University STaRS
- Harvard HRSP
- University of Cincinnati SURF/SURF MSTP
- NIH SIP/AMGEN
- UCSF SRTP
- OHSU CDB/SERP

Still need to finish applications for:
- Case Western Reserve SURP
- Mt. Sinai SURP
and I'm still looking at other programs.

And not research related but I also applied to the SMDEP programs for UW, Yale, and UCLA.
Anyone have any success with these programs or can suggest others? Best of luck to everyone.

What kind of Harvard program is that?

That program looks very interesting! It's very medically-focuese, which is what I assume you want. If you're going for an MD/Ph.D, I'd suggest you apply to Harvard SHURP given that it's for a longer time and the stipend is significantly higher. I'm pretty sure that this program will be a great experience nonetheless! :D

Good looking out. I was going to apply to SHURP but the first line on the website was "SHURP is a ten-week summer research program primarily for college students belonging to groups that are under-represented in the sciences." I definitely do not meet those qualifications. However, the main image shows plenty of people who are not URM, is it worth the time to fill out the application?

Good looking out. I was going to apply to SHURP but the first line on the website was "SHURP is a ten-week summer research program primarily for college students belonging to groups that are under-represented in the sciences." I definitely do not meet those qualifications. However, the main image shows plenty of people who are not URM, is it worth the time to fill out the application?

UMMM your Screenname here definitely sounds like you're URM. Everyone watches Grey's.

Haha that's an old picture lol
I did SHURP last summer and most of the people participating were minorities, although I think there were 2 that were not. I think it's still worth a shot! :D

Haha that's an old picture lol
I did SHURP last summer and most of the people participating were minorities, although I think there were 2 that were not. I think it's still worth a shot! :D

Out of curiosity, what were your stats and research experience when you applied. Feel free to message me if you want to keep it private.

@WedgeDawg or anyone else who may have attended the NIH Summer internship; would you mind showing me your cover letter? I've seen the samples their website provided, but I'd still like a few more references while I try to write mine. (Of course, you can edit out all personal info, I just need help :p )

Do any of you have information concerning DAAD RISE? In addition to American programs, I'm also interested in applying to a few of these. Does anyone have any idea how competitive these are in comparison? Thanks.

Is there any program (preferably in the east coast) that starts after July 5th?

Question: am I limiting my scope too much by only applying to pediatric or cancer-focused summer research programs? It's what I'm truly interested in, but should I just go broader and go to the one with the best name and try to do cancer research there?
Also money is a factor so I'm kind of screening out programs with no stipend at all:/

Look into the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia program. I did it a few summers ago and did pediatric oncology research. It was a great program!

Look into the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia program. I did it a few summers ago and did pediatric oncology research. It was a great program!

I applied there!
Can I PM you?

I'd like some input here, as I am interested in applying to REUs. I'm currently a sophomore at a school in the south. I'm a chem major and sociology minor, have a 4.0 cGPA (including this fall semester), but I only started research in a lab this past semester, during which I have mostly been learning techniques. I have experience with research fields outside of chemistry (although I'd likely be unable to mention them as my research interest for an REU would be chem-related), but these two experiences have been with projects that didn't work or lost direction. My primary goal is to get one of my school's ugrad research grants for this summer, but in case that doesn't work out, and on the off-chance that I'm unable to work on a project in my current lab for a long period of time during the summer for whatever reason, I'd perhaps like to participate at an REU. Would it be worthwhile for me to apply to REUs right now, or should I get more experience and results in my lab before applying, because I hear the programs are very competitive and always look for applicants with meaningful experience?

I'd like some input here, as I am interested in applying to REUs. I'm currently a sophomore at a school in the south. I'm a chem major and sociology minor, have a 4.0 cGPA (including this fall semester), but I only started research in a lab this past semester, during which I have mostly been learning techniques. I have experience with research fields outside of chemistry (although I'd likely be unable to mention them as my research interest for an REU would be chem-related), but these two experiences have been with projects that didn't work or lost direction. My primary goal is to get one of my school's ugrad research grants for this summer, but in case that doesn't work out, and on the off-chance that I'm unable to work on a project in my current lab for a long period of time during the summer for whatever reason, I'd perhaps like to participate at an REU. Would it be worthwhile for me to apply to REUs right now, or should I get more experience and results in my lab before applying, because I hear the programs are very competitive and always look for applicants with meaningful experience?

I wouldn't apply to REU programs if they would be your backup. Though they are competitive, I don't think they necessarily look for people that have had "meaningful" research experience. You can conduct research in another field or sub discipline and become inspired to explore another field, I think every bit of experience counts in that regard. For example, I've never had experience with cancer biology directly; however, I only applied to cancer bio programs for graduate school.

Hey so I could really use some help deciding if my application list is realist, or if I should apply to more reach/safety summer programs.

I am a junior majoring in biomedical engineering with a chemistry (and possibly business) minor at a state school(Carnegie Classification: RU/VH) with a 3.7 GPA. Before/during my freshman year I did bacterial genetics research for a professor that resulted in a 2nd author on a paper. For the last 8 months I've been working for one of the top professors at the university studying polymer chemistry for drug delivery and antimicrobial applications. My work should result in three 2nd or 3rd authors (hopefully before I graduate). I know for sure I want to pursue grad school in the applications of polymer chemistry and materials science for drug delivery, tissue engineering, and implants. The list in order of preference is:

1) UPenn Singh Nano REU
2) Duke Bioengineering REU
3) Duke Research triangle MRSEC
4) U Kentucky Engineered bioactive interfaces and device application
5) UPenn LRSM REU (materials Science)
6) Nasa Summer Internships (One internship in particular in biologically inspired polymers)
7) U Wisconsin-Madison SROP/SURE/REU
8) Pittsburg Particle-based functional materials REU
9) Vanderbilt ViNSE
10) NNIN/CNF (Waitlisted last year)
11)UC SB Future leaders in Advance Materials (FLAM)
12) Minnesota MRSEC REU

I'm not an URM and I have no disabilities or particular hardships. I should have two very strong letters of recommendation, and one average one if a third is needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

How are people contacting NIH PI's? Really hard not to write a generic email when youre emailing 30+ people

How are people contacting NIH PI's? Really hard not to write a generic email when youre emailing 30+ people

I used a general template I made. I made sure to reference their published and current research and how it is relevant to my interests and relates to research I have already done. Now, out of the 9 so far that I've emailed, I received one response, saying that they aren't taking anyone this summer. The whole process seems like a pain in the ass compared to the other program's I've applied to.

I used a general template I made. I made sure to reference their published and current research and how it is relevant to my interests and relates to research I have already done. Now, out of the 9 so far that I've emailed, I received one response, saying that they aren't taking anyone this summer. The whole process seems like a pain in the ass compared to the other program's I've applied to.

Haha yah. There is probably a really good practical reason for the pain, like the NIH itself might super decentralized and PIs have a lot of autonomy so while the environment makes for a great experience the organization itself does not lend itself to highly structured app processes like a single department at a single school might. That or to cut down on serious apps they added a self-selection filter where the most serious people would have the best shot at working there. Which is, I must admit, a pretty good idea if true.

9 applications in so far and I basically want to die lol. How many programs total is everyone applying to?
I think I'm applying to like 15-20 but now I'm wondering if that's excessive...

I agree with you Lucca, but it's super stressful when a PI tells you he get about 100+ lab inquiries for the summer via email and he only has two spots. And to think the NIH was my "safety" summer program.

I'm applying to about 10 or so. My PS are starting to sound the same except for one paragraph. It's stressful. *cries*

I agree with you Lucca, but it's super stressful when a PI tells you he get about 100+ lab inquiries for the summer via email and he only has two spots. And to think the NIH was my "safety" summer program.

I'm applying to about 10 or so. My PS are starting to sound the same except for one paragraph. It's stressful. *cries*

Honestly, I'm doing the same thing.
My research/career goals don't change. The only part I edit is my "why this program" part and sometimes word count lol. I like my personal statement and it was edited by the writing center so I trust it ..... Even though I've already received a rejection
Plus I didn't realize some require two academic LORs so I have to wait til school starts to ask a second academic person -__-

Has anyone studied for the MCAT while enrolled in any of these summer programs? What was your experience like? I'm a junior planning on taking mine late next summer.

Has anyone studied for the MCAT while enrolled in any of these summer programs? What was your experience like? I'm a junior planning on taking mine late next summer.

Considering that majority of these programs ask for a 40 hour/week commitment, I'd think that it wouldn't be the best idea.

I did! It was miserable. I would get up at 6 and study from 6-8 AM and then work until 5 or sometimes 6-7. Then I would study until like midnight. I also took the MCAT in the city where I was doing the research program and that wasn't fun either. I would try to take it before you go, maybe in late May! I missed out on a lot of the fun program bonding activities too because I had to study. It ruined the experience for me.

Hey everyone, new to SDN, but applied to internships last year (no acceptances, maybe bc I was a freshman?). This year, I am applying with a year of biomedical research (no papers, 1 presentation), 2 HS summer research internships (not very intensive but still learned a lot), and 4 months of work in theoretical physics. The theoretical work isn't involved in medicine in any way (loop quantum gravity for any physics fans out there) but has steered me towards biophysics. Is my theoretical work going to help me in any way? thanks so much!

Just a funny thing that happened: I've been going through (almost) all the summer programs that exist on this planet and keeping a running list of ones I'm interested in applying to, ones I can't apply to (#white-middle class-European-female-that-cant-afford-to-go-to-a-free/no-housing-provided-program-problems), and ones I've applied to already.
I've applied to 10 w/ 1 rejection so far.
I was just skimming my list of "Going to Apply"s........... it went from 4 (in October) to 47 (currently).
Thanks SDN.
If I end up applying to all 47 (+10 I already applied to) and not getting a single one, the UNIVERSE will be hearing from my lawyer.

Just a funny thing that happened: I've been going through (almost) all the summer programs that exist on this planet and keeping a running list of ones I'm interested in applying to, ones I can't apply to (#white-middle class-European-female-that-cant-afford-to-go-to-a-free/no-housing-provided-program-problems), and ones I've applied to already.
I've applied to 10 w/ 1 rejection so far.
I was just skimming my list of "Going to Apply"s........... it went from 4 (in October) to 47 (currently).
Thanks SDN.
If I end up applying to all 47 (+10 I already applied to) and not getting a single one, the UNIVERSE will be hearing from my lawyer.

47? I applied to 15 before I got an email from one of my letter writers telling me they didn't want to have to send out any more letters lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why I can't put my head around applying to more than 7 programs. In my opinion, you can't really perfectly fit in 10+ research programs; thus, the quality of your application will decrease significantly.

I'm one of those people who applied to 14 undergrads with a 4.0 from hs because of fear of not being accepted.
Also my interests are very diverse so I guess that helps

Felt like it was a good time to create this thread. I'm a senior now, so I'm not applying to any summer programs myself; however, I have participated in and been accepted to multiple programs in the past, so I'm more than happy to give advice to people regarding admission. :)

I wish the best of luck to everyone applying this cycle!
Would I be able to PM you?

If you're looking to continue doing work in public health research I would check these programs out:

The Columbia Summer Public Health Scholars Program.

John Hopkins Summer Internship Program

University of Michigan Public Health Leaders Program

Morehouse Project IMHOTEP
Do you have any experience with these programs?