summer research programs @ med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beadle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys....

I applied for a summer research program at UTSW, and was dismayed to find I wasn't accepted.

I have a 4.0, previous research experience, have worked for several doctors, volunteered, etc.

Anyways, a friend of mine, with comprable stats, was telling me that some programs like to accept students who need the program as a boost to their med school application later on because they are lacking in other areas. Our med school advisor actually told her not to apply to a different program (not UTSW) because she was "too qualified" and probably wouldn't get accepted.

Has anyone heard anything like this?
I'll be honest--my self esteem is really shot.

Members don't see this ad.

Beadle said:
Hey guys....

I applied for a summer research program at UTSW, and was dismayed to find I wasn't accepted.

I have a 4.0, previous research experience, have worked for several doctors, volunteered, etc.

Anyways, a friend of mine, with comprable stats, was telling me that some programs like to accept students who need the program as a boost to their med school application later on because they are lacking in other areas. Our med school advisor actually told her not to apply to a different program (not UTSW) because she was "too qualified" and probably wouldn't get accepted.

A lot of those programs are aimed at minorities...it just sometimes takes major searching to find the info somewhere on the website. I don't know if that is the case or not with that program--but I did a summer research program at my school, and 3/4 of the people in it were female (including myself), and 2/3 were hispanic or african american. Later on we found out it was geared towards women and/or minorities interested in research...although it was never really "mentioned" as a goal of the program...but it was a tiny clause buried somewhere deep on the website.

I know of great summer programs at the Jackson Lab in Maine and at the Cold Spring Harbor Lab on Long Island. Also, there's a summer thing at Columbia in nanoscience and nanotechnology (if there's any interest).

Also, lots of universities have summer programs for their own students or students from outside.

Members don't see this ad :)
DNM503 said:
A lot of those programs are aimed at minorities...it just sometimes takes major searching to find the info somewhere on the website. I don't know if that is the case or not with that program--but I did a summer research program at my school, and 3/4 of the people in it were female (including myself), and 2/3 were hispanic or african american. Later on we found out it was geared towards women and/or minorities interested in research...although it was never really "mentioned" as a goal of the program...but it was a tiny clause buried somewhere deep on the website.

shut up

Beadle said:
Hey guys....

since you are from Texas...A&M :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :D you should apply to the DeBakey program at Baylor COM. There is another program in Houston that I think is named after Cooley too.

Check them out.

Did this program specify a biomedical research career path (e.g., Ph.D.) for desired applicants?

DNM503 said:
Absolutely true. The summer research programs at competitive schools (incl. UTSW) have the ability (ie. # of applications) to select highly qualified applicants of any ethnic background of their choosing. Many of these programs are specifically aimed to recruit women and minorities to their hosts' Ph.D. programs. Though I feel ambivalent about affirmative action in general, I think this preferential selection wrt summer programs at prestigious institutions is a great idea for a multitude of reasons. But I digress, this is not another AA post.

OP: If the application asked you to report your career goals (and I'm sure that it did), then your indication that you are not aiming to complete a Ph.D. surely hurt, if not completely killed, your chances at acceptance. The essays and letters of rec are also very important here, much more so than your GPA. Did you write passionately about your past experience and go into detail about what area of research you envision yourself in the future? Did your advisor and other writer(s) address your career goals and potential as an independent researcher?

Anyways, don't let this rejection get to you. There is still time to scramble for paid experience this summer, and you're now more informed about what really goes on in the selection process for these types of awards (see: Goldwater, etc).

Look into the NIH and REU programs. Mercaptovizadeh gave you some great links. Apply early and apply broadly. Aim for mid- and top-ranked programs in all areas of the country. You're from a state which has a reputation for being slightly 'backwards' and which doesn't produce a tremendous amount of academicians. This will give you an advantage at programs on either coast. I have identical stats (but am from an even more backwards state) and was accepted to an REU program this summer which is affiliated with its host's (top 10) med school, where I'll get the chance to work and ingratiate myself with faculty members participating in the school's MSTProgram. If it matters, I have a Y chromosome and freakishly pale skin (though, admittedly, there are only 2 males out of 15 participants).

This is getting too long, but feel free to PM me.

Mbkcd said:
Absolutely true. The summer research programs at competitive schools (incl. UTSW) have the ability (ie. # of applications) to select highly qualified applicants of any ethnic background of their choosing. Many of these programs are specifically aimed to recruit women and minorities to their hosts' Ph.D. programs. Though I feel ambivalent about affirmative action in general, I think this preferential selection wrt summer programs at prestigious institutions is a great idea for a multitude of reasons. But I digress, this is not another AA post.

OP: If the application asked you to report your career goals (and I'm sure that it did), then your indication that you are not aiming to complete a Ph.D. surely hurt, if not completely killed, your chances at acceptance. The essays and letters of rec are also very important here, much more so than your GPA. Did you write passionately about your past experience and go into detail about what area of research you envision yourself in the future? Did your advisor and other writer(s) address your career goals and potential as an independent researcher?

Anyways, don't let this rejection get to you. There is still time to scramble for paid experience this summer, and you're now more informed about what really goes on in the selection process for these types of awards (see: Goldwater, etc).

Look into the NIH and REU programs. Mercaptovizadeh gave you some great links. Apply early and apply broadly. Aim for mid- and top-ranked programs in all areas of the country. You're from a state which has a reputation for being slightly 'backwards' and which doesn't produce a tremendous amount of academicians. This will give you an advantage at programs on either coast. I have identical stats (but am from an even more backwards state) and was accepted to an REU program this summer which is affiliated with its host's (top 10) med school, where I'll get the chance to work and ingratiate myself with faculty members participating in the school's MSTProgram. If it matters, I have a Y chromosome and freakishly pale skin (though, admittedly, there are only 2 males out of 15 participants).

This is getting too long, but feel free to PM me.

No no...I agree with that but I am not in agreeance with what was said immediately before that

I know some programs that I have seen are also aimed at students from small colleges where big research isn't going on or there isn't sufficient funding for good undergraduate research.

riceman04 said:

I wasn't trying to say there was anything wrong with the existance of programs for minorities...I was just saying that they exist, and sometimes it isn't clear upfront. That is one possible reason that the OP was rejected, and he/she should possibly look more closely at the website to find out if it was a women or minority program. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking into alternative opportunities for this summer, but since I'm applying to medical school this cycle, I feel like I lost a good experience :(

I put in an email to the Dr. in charge of the program as well as one to my pre-med advisor. I asked the Dr. at UTSW to give me a call or allow me to come in for an appointment (I will be in Dallas next week) so that we can discuss the weaknesses of my application. However, a simple email back would suffice.

If selection hinges upon minorities or small-school backgrounds, then hopefully my pre-med advisor can give me the honest information...I assume UTSW would be more hesitant to tell me that I didn't get in since I'm white and from a big school.

The program I applied for was specifically for pre-meds (there is a seperate one for those looking into PhDs), so I made sure not to say anything remotely related to graduate school. The instructions and program description made it sound like an interest in PhD would HURT your chances.

I suppose the whole reason I got so upset was because I feel like this application experience correlates with my impending med school application experience. Although I'm female, I'm white and I was fortunate enough to have my parents fund my entire education. I'm not totally against affirmative action, but if I get a rejection from a school because I don't meet their socioeconomic quotas....then I'll be sad.

Thanks again,
Ashley

Hey Ashley-

I wouldn't feel too bad about this. Irrespective of the whole premed vs. phd idea, minorities, women, etc. these programs are EXTREMELY competitive with a less than 5% acceptance rate. (NYU has a program that had 1200 :eek: applicants for like 15-20 spots! Most schools have 5-10 spots). So many people apply to these because 1. the app is free - the apps for these programs across the board are all the same and 2. who doesn't want to live somewhere cool and new in a different part of the country for free for the summer, possibly get a foot in the door for med school, and get a ~3K stipend?! Not to oversimplify, but these programs are really hard to get into. Also, since the programs are small - you will usually find that many of the students are actually undergrads at the institution that is offering the program who got in very easily because they prob do research there during the year and wanted to stay for the summer and their PI hooked that up. This happened to me and many others I know. That said, it helps to apply to programs not affiliated with Undergrad Institutions but are still very prestigious - rockefeller, sloanketter, coldspring, etc. I ended up choosing one of these instead. Lastly, these programs are usually funded by NIH/HHMI/NSF that have VERY STRICT guidelines for the grant. e.g. if you are not a minority, you don't even qualify, app will be tossed etc. if you have had research experience - you will also be disregarded [esp at REUs - where it is meant to be a first research experience]. Anyhow - hope this helps and eases thoughts on impending fears for the app cycle - I am sure your qualifications will serve you much better in the med cycle. Besides, who needs a pre-med prep program when you're well on your way to med school! :)

DNM503 said:
I wasn't trying to say there was anything wrong with the existance of programs for minorities...I was just saying that they exist, and sometimes it isn't clear upfront. That is one possible reason that the OP was rejected, and he/she should possibly look more closely at the website to find out if it was a women or minority program. Perhaps it was, perhaps it wasn't.

oh ok
That was my immaturtiy showing

sorry

To the original poster:

Don't feel bad. I've applied to many of these programs for two years in a row, and haven't gotten a single acceptance.
I have a decent GPA, am a female URM, definetely need the boost (no previous experience), I have great letters of recommendation, etc. Yet nobody loves me.
So, it's not true they're specifically aimed at minorities, or that they give them to students who need the boost.
Personally, I think they flip coins, or let the trained admissions monkey decide (a story for another time).

:rolleyes: Oh, well...when I discover the cure for diabetes they will wish they had accepted me.

I can echo your frustration as I have applied to several of these types of programs and been rejected. The rates of acceptance are so low that in all probability, your app was very strong, and there was just no room. It helps to apply to scores of these types of programs (do a google search for SURP ie summer undergrad research prog). I didnt get accepted during my first round of applications last year, so i just worked for free in a lab where I had been the previous two summers. I applied again this year, and so far, ive 10 rejections, and thankfully one acceptance (sloan kettering- yay!). To me, these programs seem harder to get into than med school, percentage wise, so dont let it deflate your ego. good luck with your summer plans!

Don't feel bad OP! Last year during my postbac program I asked a prof if I could help her research project by feeding her bugs.

She turned me down cold and said that I couldn't possibly begin to understand her research when I was only going to be at the school for one year.

Sometimes it's just not in the cards. If it's competetive to get the bug feeder job then I'm sure actual research positions are extremely difficult to secure.

Hey guys,

Not sure if this might help or not, but we are currently trying to recruit someone new to take over my research position at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston within the next month or so. The only thing is that we are looking for someone who can stick around for about a year. I include a link below to one of the threads I made about the position in case anyone is interested.

This is an awesome opportunity if you have some time off or you will be reapplying next year. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck with the search.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=267728