Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate 2015 MOT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osillyphilly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I turned in my SUNY Downstate application 10/17/14. I had to turn in my prerequisite class registrations for the last 2 classes I was taking in the Fall 2014 ONLY 5 times. They keep telling me they got it then email me a month or weeks later that I still need to send it to them. It has been so frustrating sent it to them in November of 2014. It is now 01/15/15.....yeah it only over 5+ TRIES and 3 MONTHS to get them to get their act together and organize. Call every phone they had....NO ONE EVER Picks up....... SUNY Downstate you Failed me.THEY FINALLY GOT it. Ok enough of my rant.

Has anyone heard of any interview dates or has been contacted for an interview? I'm sick and frustrated of waiting for them. These last 2 classes I'm taking is the only requirements I need for SUNY Downstate. They been giving me such a hard time for the past 3 months....I think I should hear something by now. If its a rejection I would love to hear it anyway. They are my 1st choice....but out of the 12 schools I applied to they have been the MOST difficult for me to get a hold of...and the most unorganized as it comes to application.

Please let me know if you heard anything. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I also agree that they are not the most organized. I submitted my application back in October but they didn't contact me until January that they were missing some materials from me.. Maybe you should try emailing them as your primary method of communication. They are pretty good at keeping in contact via email. I was told that I would hear back in January if they wanted to ask me to come in for an interview but I haven't heard anything yet so I'll just keep waiting. Best of luck to you!

Feliz I was using email to contact them which I found to be inefficient. Since I keep sending them the information they said were missing. Yesterday, I was finally able to get to verify they have everything and stop contacting about missing items I already email to them 5x. LOL Hopefully, we hear something soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha wow, they need to get it together! Hopefully we do hear back soon. Fingers crossed!

I submitted my application the first week of November. I submitted my final transcripts the first week of January and was invited for an interview this week. This is my first choice and ABSOLUTE dream school. I was SHOCKED that I received such a quick response. I'm incredibly nervous and I hope with all of my heart that I am accepted into the program.

I hope you all get a quick response! Good luck to all of us!!!!

I submitted by application in September and just heard today that I was invited for an interview this Saturday! talk about short notice and I go to school in pittsburgh, but luckily I found a cheap flight despite the last minuteness. Anyone heard anything about their if their interview is group/ one on one? or what the essay might be like? Good luck to all of you!!

I submitted my application the first week of November. I submitted my final transcripts the first week of January and was invited for an interview this week. This is my first choice and ABSOLUTE dream school. I was SHOCKED that I received such a quick response. I'm incredibly nervous and I hope with all of my heart that I am accepted into the program.

I hope you all get a quick response! Good luck to all of us!!!!
Hey I have an interview tomorrow, how did yours go?!

I submitted by application in September and just heard today that I was invited for an interview this Saturday! talk about short notice and I go to school in pittsburgh, but luckily I found a cheap flight despite the last minuteness. Anyone heard anything about their if their interview is group/ one on one? or what the essay might be like? Good luck to all of you!!

I have an interview tomorrow, with an alumni, how was yours today?

Hi everyone! Thank you Osillyphilly for starting up this thread!

I applied in September. I haven't been contacted for an interview yet, but I did see a change in my status. It used to say "Sent to Committee for Review" and now it says "Faculty Screener2". For those of you who were contacted for an interview, what did you status say right before you were contacted? Thank you!

Hi everyone! Thank you Osillyphilly for starting up this thread!

I applied in September. I haven't been contacted for an interview yet, but I did see a change in my status. It used to say "Sent to Committee for Review" and now it says "Faculty Screener2". For those of you who were contacted for an interview, what did you status say right before you were contacted? Thank you!

mine still says "initial review" so not 100% sure

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone! I'm a first year OT student, and went through the whole application process with downstate last year. Just wanted to offer my advice on how things went for me when I was applying.

DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP!!!
They are honestly SO disorganized- they gave me so much stress! I submitted my application about two weeks before the deadline. I'm not sure exactly when that was, but I'm sure it's around the same time every year
I was contacted for an interview about two months after submitting my application for January 21st. I was told that was the second day of their interview process. I was interviewed by an alumni that was very sweet, and I honestly thought it went pretty well. The essay was pretty insane. It was summing up an article that was really confusing. Something about budgets and medical care- not really anything to do with OT- super confusing. At the actual interview they didn't ask anything crazy. Basic questions.

Then was the waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting. I didn't hear back from them until MID APRIL!!!!!!!!! So basically from the time I submitted my application until I heard from them was half a year! I called so many times, and they kept saying I would hear within the next week. Which I never did! They had to wait half a year to send me my rejection. I had a 3.96 GPA with a ton of observation hours, so who knows.

My current school called me for an interview a week after i submitted my application, and sent me an acceptance two weeks after that!

Getting into downstate is pretty much pure luck. They look for a lot of diversity and uniqueness, but I'm happy I didn't choose them. The way they dealt with the application process was a big eye opener for me.

Good luck to all you guys applying! Hope I helped a bit!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow thank you, Chochie! I'm sorry that all happened to you. :( Sounds pretty tough to get in considered your excellent GPA and hours. If you don't mind sharing, what school do you currently attend?

Thanks!

Hey folks! I’d like to update you on my interview.

I arrived to the Downstate campus really early. I spent about 30 minutes walking around the neighborhood trying to pick the best jerk chicken spot for my post-interview lunch. Then I spend the rest of the time convincing myself I didn’t need more nail polish at the Duane Reade across the street from the main building.

I digress.

First I had to read an OT-related article and summarize it in about 25 minutes. Then I spoke with the professor for about an hour. It was a wonderful conversation about everything under sun. We talked OT, NYC, life, community work, etc. It was fantastic. Even if I don’t get into this program (and trust me I REALLY WANT TO GO HERE) it was an incredibly enlightening and informative conversation. I learned more about the OT profession in that one hour conversation than in my three years of research and study.

About half of the questions are related to OT. He asked me why I want to be an OT, observational experiences, personal definition of OT, etc. The rest of the questions are your standard interview questions (leadership experiences, challenges, etc.). I also asked A LOT of questions. He answered them thoroughly.

After the interview the professor asked me if I’d to talk to one of the current OT students. I thought that was such a great touch to be able to talk honestly with a current student. I have since asked that student tons of questions via email.

I like to think the interview went well but you never know! Best of luck to everyone! I send you all positive vibes!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Chochie thank you so much for sharing. I truly appreciate it. Yeah, I have sorta given up hope on waiting for them to get things right. I figured I can't just email them once. I need to do it a couple of times to get answers. I wonder if they realized that there system is troublesome. Well good luck to everyone......as I continue to wait for them.

Wow thank you, Chochie! I'm sorry that all happened to you. :( Sounds pretty tough to get in considered your excellent GPA and hours. If you don't mind sharing, what school do you currently attend?

Thanks!

I applied to Downstate, NYU, Columbia, and Touro. Got into Touro and Columbia, but choose Touro. So happy with my decision. I honestly love it!

If anyone has questions I would love to try and help!

Hi guys. I'm currently a student in the Downstate OT program and thought I could maybe help out with some of the confusion regarding the admissions process. The people that you have been dealing with with submitting forms/transcripts, etc., is the admissions office, and yes, they are disorganized. The actual OT program is extremely organized and well-run, if that makes you feel any better.

I know that an enormous amount of people applied this year- I think more than ever before. I can't say the exact number, but trust me, it's a lot. This is why it takes them a while to get back to candidates about interviews & acceptances. They put a lot of thought into admissions decisions and that's most likely the cause of the wait. The admissions process is more detailed and rigorous than I realized when I was applying. But I have to say, their careful consideration always ends up giving Downstate a competitive, diverse, and well rounded class.

I know the admissions process is grueling and frustrating, but don't give up. You'll all know soon enough. Good luck!

Does anyone know how many days notice they give you from the time they contact you for an interview and the date of the interview?

Does anyone know how many days notice they give you from the time they contact you for an interview and the date of the interview?
I got an email on Tuesday 1/20 for an interview saturday 1/24 so really not a whole lot of time if you have to travel very far

My interview was very similar to hopefulbrooklynOT but with an alumni who was super nice and gave me A LOT of info on the program but definitely made it seem that much more worth it.

2 questions for people who have/ had an interview.
Did any one who have an interview check the status of their application? Is it different?

Also, I know they take a while to get back but did anyone ask when we should know by?
I was so into the conversation between me and my interviewer I totally forgot to ask about it. My friend interviewed for their PT recently and they told him 2-3 weeks.

Does anyone know how long that Downstate will be handing out interview requests?

Hey otapplicant2015! I'm so glad to hear someone else had a good interview with the folks at Downstate. According to the professor I spoke with, he said that the decisions will be sent out in March. Also I did not check my application status prior the interview. I did check it now and all it says is "faculty screener 4." I have no idea what that means. I really, really hope we get good news.

And by the way that's a really fast response time for the PT prorgam! Perhaps they have a different process? Who knows!

Once again, good luck to all of us!

@hopefulbrooklynOT where can you check your application status? Is it on the Applyyourself website or is it on the application checklist?

Should I be worried if I haven't got an interview invite yet?

@jas22492 I checked my application status on the applyyourself website. The application checklist has basically never been updated for me. Should it be updated?

@hopefulbrooklynOT my application checklist has never been updated either, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one! I'll keep checking my applyyourself status. Thanks!!

Should I be worried if I haven't got an interview invite yet?
I haven't been asked for an interview yet either. I'm starting to get worried. What does your status say? Mine says, "FACULTY SCREENER2"

I interviewed last Monday. Mine didn't go that well, unfortunately :(
My status also says FACULTY SCREENER2

Hey otapplicant2015! I'm so glad to hear someone else had a good interview with the folks at Downstate. According to the professor I spoke with, he said that the decisions will be sent out in March. Also I did not check my application status prior the interview. I did check it now and all it says is "faculty screener 4." I have no idea what that means. I really, really hope we get good news.

And by the way that's a really fast response time for the PT prorgam! Perhaps they have a different process? Who knows!

Once again, good luck to all of us!

I know he had the best of luck! He even got to sit in for a class, which when I asked my interviewer she said could definitely happen but she made it seem like it was something once you were accepted, which I hope is good new for him haha. Good luck to you too!

March ugh, the anxietyyyyy!

I would say not to worry if you haven't been called for an interview being that they wont let us know by march. I heard they got a lot of applicants this yr so I'm sure they're scheduling appropriately. GOOD LUCK! fingers crossed for all of us.

Also, on the applyyourself website, where can you view your status. Right now mines just says submitted and interviewed scheduled.

Oh no! What makes you think it didn't go well??
I just got overwhelmed and didn't connect well with the interviewer. I'll let you know if my application status has any changes.

I just got overwhelmed and didn't connect well with the interviewer. I'll let you know if my application status has any changes.
You may have did better than you think :) Did you interview with a faculty member or an alumni?

I haven't been asked for an interview yet either. I'm starting to get worried. What does your status say? Mine says, "FACULTY SCREENER2"

mine still says "initial review" - i did just email admissions and they said they are interviewing up until feb/mar this year.

I also interviewed with faculty and I felt like I rushed the essay portion which may come back to haunt me because I was nervous when writing it. As far as the interview, I felt I did ok, only stumbled on one question.

My status is still on screen 6 as well.

What is everyone's GPA and volunteer hours like? Mine is 3.6 gpa, 180 volunteer hours.

3.75 GPA and 210 hours. I haven't been asked for an interview yet.

These applications are such a killer. Figuring them out is a science in and of itself. Best of luck!

Does anyone know if they allow you to reschedule your interview?

Does anyone know if they allow you to reschedule your interview?

Yes, I had a final exam on the day of my interview. I just emailed them and asked to be rescheduled.

3.1 undegraduate gpa , 3.9 for prereqs and a little over 200 volunteer hours. How I wish I was a better student in college!!! I was interviewed on Jan. 22.

Should I be worried as I have not received any interview invitation yet?
Also I have been accepted to Dyouville and NYIT. Any of you guys have applied to these school as well?

Hey, where are you guys checking the updates for your application?

Mines still has not updated! :nailbiting:

I received my acceptance email earlier today, I interviewed sometime around the last week of January to give you guys some perspective. I'm stoked. I believe Downstate really values diversity (which I love about them) so try to highlight things about you that are unique and be honest during the interview. Good luck to you all, see some of you this Summer. ;)

To those accepted, let's try to create a forum together so we can use it as a medium for helpful advice/information/reminders/etc. Graduate school won't be a breeze, and I feel we'll benefit from each other.

Reactions: 2 users
I received my acceptance email earlier today, I interviewed sometime around the last week of January to give you guys some perspective. I'm stoked. I believe Downstate really values diversity (which I love about them) so try to highlight things about you that are unique and be honest during the interview. Good luck to you all, see some of you this Summer. ;)

To those accepted, let's try to create a forum together so we can use it as a medium for helpful advice/information/reminders/etc. Graduate school won't be a breeze, and I feel we'll benefit from each other.
Congrats maaz! Would you mind sharing your stats? I plan on applying next cycle .

Congrats maaz! Would you mind sharing your stats? I plan on applying next cycle .
My stats where 3.9 pre-req GPA, I believe 3.7 - general. I did over 180 volunteer hours in 2 settings (in-patient & outpatient). My advice to you is to apply early, I knew applying early was important but I still somehow ended up submitting my application a week before due date. Especially for OTCAS, applying early will save you from several headaches because there's a verification process (4 weeks) that they don't even tell you beforehand which was incredibly frustrating.

Diversified observation sites > observation hours

Downstate is big on leadership illustrated in school clubs, organizations, etc. Join a few organizations & work to build them and others.

Everything else is obvious: get good grades, finish pre-reqs, etc.

CONGRATS!! That's awesome!