Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate 2015 MOT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nevermind i found it. Mine isn't updated with anything. Guess that may possibly mean i will not be accepted. It looks nothing like you guys checklists! Congrats though to you!

Members don't see this ad.

Nevermind i found it. Mine isn't updated with anything. Guess that may possibly mean i will not be accepted. It looks nothing like you guys checklists! Congrats though to you!
what does yours look like? mine was never updated. It has always said "OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, M.S. INITIAL REVIEW"

Hi! I just thought I would add to the conversation.

I interviewed with an alum at downstate on 1/24/15. I have not heard anything since. My status still says "interview scheduled". @otapplicant2015 , I am really hoping for the both of us that our status just means they haven't gotten around to us yet. I feel like I connected well with my interviewer. She gave me a few enthusiastic "Yes!" responses to my questions and kept saying "when you are in the program" instead of "if you get into the program", but I know she does not have any say in the final decision. I think I did a decent job of concisely summarizing the article, but I felt very rushed.

I keep in contact with a few of the ladies I volunteered with that also had interviews and none of them have heard anything yet, either. Maaz1 on this forum is the only applicant I have heard of that has been accepted.

Best of luck to everyone!

So I was having a similar issue. On the apply yourself site it still says "interview scheduled". However, on the admissions checklist site that I dealt with while paying the fee it says . "OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, M.S. INITIAL REVIEW"
granted I don't know how much better that is considering some people have already been accepted. I hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't lose hope! There's still plenty of time. Best of luck to you! :)

2015OTapsomethingt: 16281496 said:
what does yours look like? mine was never updated. It has always said "OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, M.S. INITIAL REVIEW"
Think mine said something about payment accepted. Probably from around
the time i completed my application and submitted the fee.

otapplicant2015 said:
@NYOT2015 what are your stats if you don't mind sharing

I have about 100 hours in two settings in OT. Im also coming from a diff background im changing careers. I also did volunteer work with children in Thailand and Kenya. I took the pre reqs i needed and some i had from my undergrad major where i think my grades were A but they're from a while back. Recent pre reqs were B and B plus B minus. I also was working on the side while finishing these so did the best i could. Didnt have much time as i wouldve liked to spend if i wasn't working. I worked for quite a while after completing my undergrad but decided to pursue ot bc i found it interesting and now changing careers. It's been a long road! :)

Reactions: 1 users
It's official! I'm accepted! They emailed me today. :D Best of luck to everyone! I can't wait to meet my classmates! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys! Congratulations to everyone who got in! I'm still waiting to hear back... the wait is killing me! My status has not changed from "interview Schedule". I thought i did well during the interview and felt really hopefully, but as time goes by i'm getting more nervous :(

Really want to be an OT!!

Hi guys! Congratulations to everyone who got in! I'm still waiting to hear back... the wait is killing me! My status has not changed from "interview Schedule". I thought i did well during the interview and felt really hopefully, but as time goes by i'm getting more nervous :(

Same here

Members don't see this ad :)

Someone mentioned that the latest they will get back to everyone is the end of April. There's still hope!

Accepted to Downstate on 2/4 but I declined my acceptance without paying the deposit. Hope it will give someone a chance to get in!
Hey Skip,
Just curious....
Why did you turn them down?

Alright peeps,
Judgement day is upon me-
my application says "file returned to admissions after committee review"
I'll let you know whether the news is good or depressing.
:)

Hey Skip,
Just curious....
Why did you turn them down?

Hi ShaRi, Columbia had been my number one choice and I just thought if I didn’t attend there, I would regret. So I declined my acceptance from Downstate. I do not think the Downstate’s program has negative factors compared to Columbia or anything. The Columbia program just offers learning opportunities that more match with my interests and goals in graduate study! That’s really it!

Reactions: 2 users
My application now says "file returned to admissions after committee review", after receiving a call from one of the admissions counselors asking me for additional information regarding one of my pre-requisite courses. So nervous! Shari did you hear back from them?

I didn't hear back. Spelunker checklist was updated. I am either waitlisted or accepted. No payment link provided.

I didn't hear back. Spelunker checklist was updated. I am either waitlisted or accepted. No payment link provided.

SAME! But I'm feeling not so hopeful because the deposit section doesn't have a "pay now" option like @Future OT 9 did. Buttttt let's see. I'm happy that there's at least an update!!

GOOD LUCK!

@Ms1513 did you check the spelunker site as well?

this is what my checklist looks like
Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 2.49.19 PM.png

Mine too.
It is an update, true, but the update is "unresolved".
Not quite rejected, more of a just hang on.
I'm not sure if waitlisted is worth anything because most accepted applicants accept their position.

For those who received an acceptance email, did the "pay now" link show up immediately when the checklist was updated, or only once your acceptance was confirmed?

Hello everyone i just want to share my sad (yet unbelievable) story. I interviewed on 1/16/15 with Jasmin Thomas, i believe i did really well.

I have a BS in Psychology, I am a 3.9 GPA student. (3.86 for pre-req). I have 200+ hours in OT volunteer work. I did a year of research in a psychology development lab, i conducted my own research, which i presented and won a $1,500 grant for. I have 5 years of volunteer work in a non-profit organization, during my time there i held many different posts, and now i am currently on the Executive board of this organization (since jan 15) including my role as the executive administrator on the youth program they have created (this program focuses on many aspects of the youth ages 12-18 mainly, to guide them in their college careers, summer programs, and basically keep them off the streets).

I also volunteer at a senior social center where i help translate documents and help the seniors with any official business (taxes, insurance...etc), because i am bilingual.

I have not heard from SUNY downstate but i am pretty sure i will NOT be accepted, but i have received rejection letters from BOTH NYU and LIU. I do not know what else i can do to impress the admission committees, (if anyone has suggestions i am all ears). This is really frustrating me and upsetting me A LOT!

I haven't received an e-mail from them, but this is what my checklist looks like. Does this mean I have been accepted?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-03-19 at 6.00.58 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-03-19 at 6.00.58 PM.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 89
I haven't received an e-mail from them, but this is what my checklist looks like. Does this mean I have been accepted?
It does indeed look like you have been accepted. Congratulations!!

Can you please share ur stats? PLEASE.

Extracurriculars? GPAs both pre-req and overall GPAs? Volunteer hours? Please

I just got my Checklist updated. This is what it looks like:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 6.12.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-19 at 6.12.38 PM.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 74
I think this means i was Accepted :) Guys I am so happy. I only applied to Downstate so i was extremely nervous. Basically I had no back up plan if I didn't get in. I shouldn't have done this, but I just couldn't afford any other school.

Hello everyone i just want to share my sad (yet unbelievable) story. I interviewed on 1/16/15 with Jasmin Thomas, i believe i did really well.

I have a BS in Psychology, I am a 3.9 GPA student. (3.86 for pre-req). I have 200+ hours in OT volunteer work. I did a year of research in a psychology development lab, i conducted my own research, which i presented and won a $1,500 grant for. I have 5 years of volunteer work in a non-profit organization, during my time there i held many different posts, and now i am currently on the Executive board of this organization (since jan 15) including my role as the executive administrator on the youth program they have created (this program focuses on many aspects of the youth ages 12-18 mainly, to guide them in their college careers, summer programs, and basically keep them off the streets).

I also volunteer at a senior social center where i help translate documents and help the seniors with any official business (taxes, insurance...etc), because i am bilingual.

I have not heard from SUNY downstate but i am pretty sure i will NOT be accepted, but i have received rejection letters from BOTH NYU and LIU. I do not know what else i can do to impress the admission committees, (if anyone has suggestions i am all ears). This is really frustrating me and upsetting me A LOT!
My heart goes out to you. So difficult.
My first recommendation is that you cry your heart out. Then call the schools that rejected you, tell them you want to learn from your experience. Ask them what you can do to improve your chances next year. Above all else, believe in yourself and don't give up!!
Give yourself credit for the effort. Measure your success by your willingness to try and try again!
Best of luck.
And btw, from what you listed, you sound super capable.

BK. OT.15 stay hopeful and positive. Sometimes when one door closes, another one opens.

My heart goes out to you. So difficult.
My first recommendation is that you cry your heart out. Then call the schools that rejected you, tell them you want to learn from your experience. Ask them what you can do to improve your chances next year. Above all else, believe in yourself and don't give up!!
Give yourself credit for the effort. Measure your success by your willingness to try and try again!
Best of luck.
And btw, from what you listed, you sound super capable.

Thank You for your concern, and i also thought i was a good candidate too but admissions committees dont think so.

NYU basically said they cannot give me feedback on why i was rejected.

BK. OT.15 stay hopeful and positive. Sometimes when one door closes, another one opens.

Can you please share ur stats as well.

Was also accepted to Downstate today but I'm declining it to go to Columbia.

Can you please share ur stats? PLEASE.

3.7 overall GPA and 3.8 pre req GPA. I did over 160 hours of volunteer in 3 settings. I interned at a hospital also taught english to elementary school students in Turkey. I got into NYU but Downstate is my number 1 choice!

Good luck to you!!!

@2015OTapplic and @Ms1513 congrats!!!

@BK.OT.15 I am so sorry to hear this, that is unbelievable and it sucks NYU won't give feedback. Honestly reach out to LIU and Downstate, do you remember the people you interviewed with if you did? Try to search for them on the schools website and get their emails. Have you gotten any update from downstate?

Mine too.
It is an update, true, but the update is "unresolved".
Not quite rejected, more of a just hang on.
I'm not sure if waitlisted is worth anything because most accepted applicants accept their position.

absolutely agree, it's like pulling the band aid off slowly lol

Also, I just checked again and there's another section now for
STUDENT HEALTH ACCEPTED/ALTERNATE LIST APPLICANT CHECKLIST

do you have this too?

Interesting to see accepted applicants choose schools like Columbia & NYU over Down state. The majority of OTs I've spoken to all say Down state's program is exceptional and there's no beating the cost - I'm very fortunate to have been accepted here bcs I'd be in so much debt had I'd gone to Columbia.

2) For those accepted, have any of you received an acceptance package in the mail? I only received an e-mail.

absolutely agree, it's like pulling the band aid off slowly lol

Also, I just checked again and there's another section now for
STUDENT HEALTH ACCEPTED/ALTERNATE LIST APPLICANT CHECKLIST

do you have this too?
Exactly

I am sure Columbia and NYU are great programs as well. I guess if you are fortunate enough to be able to afford it, that's great! What really matters is what you take from it, and that it helps you become the professional that you need to be once in the field :)

BK. OT.15 it sounds like you have everything going for you... i would try to get feedback on the interviews. Your stats are impressive.

Interesting to see accepted applicants choose schools like Columbia & NYU over Down state. The majority of OTs I've spoken to all say Down state's program is exceptional and there's no beating the cost - I'm very fortunate to have been accepted here bcs I'd be in so much debt had I'd gone to Columbia.

2) For those accepted, have any of you received an acceptance package in the mail? I only received an e-mail.
I only got the email too.

official word-wait listed :sorry:

but you guys have some impressive stats! Wayyyyy better than mine so I absolutely understand.

Crossing my fingers hoping that somehow I can join some of you this summer, if not there's next year!

So excited I have a interview this week! Can anyone tell me how long their interview took and any additional helpful advices? Thanks ahead of time. Does anyone know how many applicants SUNY Downstate usually interview?

Hey everyone! I was accepted into the program a few weeks ago, and I was wondering...anyone here looking for a roommate to rent an apartment with near(ish) to the school? I don't think there is a Facebook group created for the incoming class, and a studio in Brooklyn is super expensive =(. Also good luck to everyone who is still waiting for a response!

Has anyone received their acceptance package yet? I only received the E-mail.

Hey everyone! I was accepted into the program a few weeks ago, and I was wondering...anyone here looking for a roommate to rent an apartment with near(ish) to the school? I don't think there is a Facebook group created for the incoming class, and a studio in Brooklyn is super expensive =(. Also good luck to everyone who is still waiting for a response!
I would definitely be interested. We can create a Facebook group if you guys like :)

How long did it take to get a response after the interview? I just had my interview yesterday.